Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Also the stats breakdown window is crazy useful. Finally you have almost 2205 level insight into what's going on and how many resources you're consuming. Very easy to go "Oh I guess I need a new schnaps distillery".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Alkydere posted:

Also the stats breakdown window is crazy useful. Finally you have almost 2205 level insight into what's going on and how many resources you're consuming. Very easy to go "Oh I guess I need a new schnaps distillery".

Thank gently caress, that was one of the main things that made me usually stop playing when multimap supply chains started.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Where do you get the DLC if you bought on steam?

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I started a new game with the anarchist, Beryl O'mara, and Gasparov. We shall see how we all get along.

Do Beryl and Von Malching go to war? I know Von Malching and Gasparov kind of coexisted. I'm sure Beryl will steamroll gasparov and maybe me too.

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

high five, more dead than alive
Eventually everyone goes to war with everyone as far as I can tell. Easy level NPCs get wiped out by more aggressive ones. Never seen Wibley or Bente survive far into the steam ship era. Beryl, George MY DAD DIED IN A MINE, Von Malching and Gasparov all tend to reach stalemate in my games, fighting occasionally. Haven't played long with the higher tier NPCs but I imagine it's the same deal.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Minenfeld! posted:

Where do you get the DLC if you bought on steam?

You can buy it on the UPlay store.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

So, in honor of the new DLC, I decided to finish up and finally post hitting the final achievement of the Sunken Treasures DLC. Namely, hitting 50,000 Investors.

Welcome to beautiful Cape Trelawney! Gasparov, eat your heart out

My apologies that this has to be broken out into chunks; I couldn't find a good mod or tool to get a full picture of the entire island, or to sew pictures together enough to make it clear what the full map looks like, and the new patch that came with the DLC seems to have broken my performance so it was 10-frames-per-second hell just to get these shots. But I hope they're enough to give you guys some inspiration on your own cities, and I'll end this post with some thoughts around how the Sunken Treasure DLC makes this a lot easier than when Mazz did something similar a while back.

So, first, the city layout. Here's the main center for the Investors, with a small park in the middle. I really like the new gardens with the DLC.

One of my goals was to use the river area to lay out some of the special buildings - using each of the "islands" in the rivers to house one of the sections. It almost worked. Below shows the northernmost islands, with the World's Fair on the northmost, the (mostly empty) Zoo to the west, and a central hub area that was devoted to park and gardens.

Below that, closer to the coast, were the more successful Museum area, with exhibits broken into groups by section, and the Botanical garden, which was the only thing I fully completed. I wanted to finish the Zoo and the Museum, but in the end, it would have taken a lot of hours of sitting around, waiting to see what the World's Fair RNG threw at me, and between performance issues and the time it already took to get this far, I just didn't have the patience to finish it.

To the south and east of the city, the less-than-Investor areas spread out in rings around the Investor central area. This tended to be the easiest way to build up to 50,000 - expand my Investor housing to meet the limits of power and the clubhouse, and slowly push the Engineers out into new soon-to-be-Investor areas and domino it down until I was building new Farmer areas to replace the upgraded ones. Honestly, though, after hitting five digits of Investors, I was making so much money that I didn't need to pay attention to upkeep and buildings, so I could have just painted the whole town with pubs, schools, and opera houses to fit.

Then, to the direct east of the city, was the heavy industry district. While they're still churning out graphics smoke, I had a union hall with -90% attractiveness on Steel and Iron industries, and it was easier to leave them on the main island with minor happiness/beauty penalties than to set up a convoy system to take coal and iron to a separate island for processing, which is what I did for Bronze and Automobile production. Likewise, pig farms and associated industries were off on their own island elsewhere. But given the proximity to the harbor and the oil storage, this seemed the easiest place to put my first power plants.

The second major industrial area was on the ridge above that, because it was an easy place to put one power plant that would double a bunch of relevant mines. I also set up massive grape fields here, as the amount of champagne my Investors go through is insane.

Champagne and wheat were the only things I did full factory farming with; champagne because I had leaders I needed to put into a union hall to up product to meet investor needs, and grain because I find the wind-through-wheat graphics effects beautiful and made much better with having all of the wheat fields pushed together. But for most other farms, I went with a much more sprawling, decorated approach that Black Griffon first showed off in this thread.

And here's a close-up. Again, with the amount of money I was making, it was no issue to plop down a marketplace and sprinkle some farmhouses around the farms, which I think both improves the look of the farms as well as reduces the amount of "rural farming villages shoved next to the big city" look of the central Investor area.

The third and final major industrial center was located just below the ruined castle. I was disappointed by this; I really wanted this to be the museum area as being in the shadow of the castle felt super thematic and pretty, but it was hampered by being too close to a copper and a zinc deposit, and the economy necessary to get 50,000 investors without killing me meant having to exploit every single bronze-ingredient mine on the Trelawney map, which didn't fit at all with leaving this as beautiful undeveloped space.

Now, you may be wondering - Skelly, how did you get that to be another industrial area with no obvious rails leading to it? And that's where I want to segue into how my attempt to set this up was different from Mazz'. (Mazz's?)

So, Mazz is an outstanding poster who has done a bunch of effortposts about his attempts to be super-efficient in his builds and try to see how far he could take things. And he made a run to get as many investors as possible, and was able to hit 250 investor houses (roughly 10,000 investors). If you haven't already, read his posts (you can sort out just his posts with the "?" button under his avatar) and you can learn a lot about how to get stuff done in this game.

I got to 50,000 investors because I watched what he did, and because Cape Trelawney makes things super easy in comparison. Specifically, it does the following:

1) It dumps a brand new Old World map on you, with time to take as much of it over as you need. Trelawney Island itself is super-huge, giving you ample space to lay out farms and industry and cities and full prestige buildings without giving any damns about efficiency. I had maybe another full marketplace radius or three on the southern tip of the island that I hadn't touched, and I was taking pride in being inefficient in farm layout. And on that land, you get a bunch of mines and oil wells. And then there are surrounding islands - which also have a bunch of mines and oil wells. When I finished, I had only started getting oil from one island in the New World, because all of the Cape Trelawney oil kept me going for so long. Likewise, I never needed to take out an opponent for their Old World mines or oil because Trelawney gave me enough.

2) It dumps a poo poo-ton of influence on you. This is more the patch that came out at the same time than the DLC, but one of Mazz's complaints was how hard it was to budget influence to keep convoys and trade unions up to get the production numbers he needed. With more influence coming in from people and from investors, the only time I had any bottlenecks was during initial expansion into the New World, when I was trying to own every island but didn't want to build super-cities back home. Once I had Trelawney and started just laying down immense villages, though, that bottleneck cleared right up. When I was setting up industries and big cities, I never had any trouble dropping down new Trade Unions or City Halls.

3) It gives you much better leaders to put into buildings. And this is really one of the biggest things. The patch near the DLC removed a bug that prevented high-level leaders from showing up at your tourist docks; between that bug being gone and the sheer amount of beauty that Cape Trelawney naturally contained, I was getting epic and legendary leaders thrown at me with amazing skills that made everything easier. How did I get a third industrial area in a place far away from my infrastructure? Turns out that there's a legendary leader who gives electricity to everything in her Trade Union radius!

In that same union building is a rare leader who changes Fur Coat needs from Cotton to Wool, meaning I didn't need to bother with cotton at all which was an amazing boon to my logistics.

And in another building, a guy who just gives me free Pocket Watches and Gramophones, which meant I just never built anything that needed Gold, again, saving me a huge amount of hassle in setting up logistics.

And then there's the leader set that comes with Trelawney DLC itself. It's not explained well (if at all), but you can take salvage back to Ol' Nate and with the right ingredients, have him turn it into leaders that go into Trade Unions. Most of them are bad.

One of them gives a straight out +35% production.

One of them reduces manpower needs by 50%.

That was the other big saving grace for me. With the influence to put Trade Unions all across the New World, I was also able to put one of the -50% labor guys into nearly every Trade Union, which cut the number of Obreros I needed across the board, which cut down on the amount of land I needed to devote to Corn, Meat, Bowler Hats, etc. and instead focus on just shoveling out the immense amount of chocolate and cigars needed for the Investors. I can't emphasize this enough: if you're playing to build investors, your late game is entirely building chocolate, cigar, and bronze supply chains. Every once in a while you have to divert into setting up other stuff, but 90% of my gameplay was figuring out how to squeeze just a little more Bronze production out of my mines because loving eyeglasses, loving eyeglasses, man. If you're not ahead in production on those, your Engineer population starts to collapse which quickly leads to a bunch of production chains falling apart, including eyeglasses production, until you get eyeglasses back together.

Overall, 10/10 would never do again but I'm glad I did it once and hope you enjoyed the pictures.

skeleton warrior fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Dec 12, 2019

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Very nice.

I have to try again soon with all the new stuff and the better trade hall guys available; I went crazy in my new world posts with trade halls but was still pretty limited compared to now. I’m engrossed with Stardew 1.4 right now but a new Anno binge is probably next unless something like an ONI DLC comes out randomly.

Appreciate the compliments too.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Multi copy owns and is making my game easier. They need multi move next.

I am almost in the red in my game. Kinda forgot how to play. Won't be surprised if I lose.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

skeleton warrior posted:

Overall, 10/10 would never do again but I'm glad I did it once and hope you enjoyed the pictures.
Peak Anno right there. The city looks amazing too. :toot:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Hello! I used to play Anno 1602 when I was just a kid, loved it, then the series fell off my radars while I was playing other games. Later on I played one of the modern ones (I think 2070) and found it drab and boring so forgot all about it again.

Now I saw this was on free trial, downloaded and got hooked very, very quickly so I bought it while it's discounted. Some beginner tips? :v:

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Only beginner tip I got is to keep your population high and happy with booze. They’re a good source of cash and you’ll need loads of the little buggers anyway.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Did they nerf money for selling ships at some point? Only getting $25k for a ship of the line sucks. Made a dedicated ship factory island and it's not really worth the effort anymore.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Eschatos posted:

Did they nerf money for selling ships at some point? Only getting $25k for a ship of the line sucks. Made a dedicated ship factory island and it's not really worth the effort anymore.

Not surprised, but yeah the patch notes are not complete. Money generation has gone down quite a bit since the previous patch. I lost $20K loading an old save into the new patch.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
I felt like playing a new game and it was between this and Transport Fever 2 so I might as well check out this as it has a free trial at the moment. Have never played an Anno before which is kind of surprising given the sort of games I like. I like logistics stuff, but the bigger "Grand Strategy" type games tend to be too much for me. If I like this are any of the older Anno's considered essential and worth getting or is it always basically the same game, just different time periods?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Anno’s core game is always roughly the same this is a perfectly fine one to jump on with.

It’s not like most logistics games because the transport of goods is heavily simplified and even involves teleportation between stores if it’s on the same island. Still it is pretty satisfying to get chains between islands going!

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Cool. I like some city builders, enjoy transport sims and have 1300 hours played on Factorio (yikes). So I'm hoping this hits a few buttons. I'm going in almost entirely blind, for some reason this is a franchise I've just never paid any attention to. But to be honest I'm only really typing this now because I'm waiting for it to download... and we're done.

e: Well, my randomly generated name was Ippy Quipipi so game is off to a good start

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Dec 12, 2019

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Anno owns. Dont be surprised if you get up to engineer tier populations and want to restart.

Here's my advice to minimize that.

Make your cities with an extra road in mind. This will later serve as a rail line.

I have been using city layout and production layout templates from the wiki to maximize the space I use. Production chains also show an easy visual of how many mines, smelters, and ironworks you would need, for example. It is helpful but has caused me to play a very particular, inorganic and structured playstyle

The npcs all have likes and dislikes. They are all different and the default easy npc Beryl O'mara can be difficult to tackle. Wibbley owns and is a wizard.

Wars can be a good or bad thing if you can outsmart and outmaneuver the npcs.

Hmm...you can create custom island seeds that will generate some guaranteed good maps if you start a game using custom difficulty and make sure you have the right difficulty level and number of NPCs for that seed number to work correctly.

Ctrl shift p is a nice Easter egg... try it in game.

Selling soap to Eli on the prison island used to be nice money, not sure if it is after this latest patch.

New world is hard to build in because of rivers. I had one map that only had like 1 island with rubber and an npc already got to it. Can be rough.

Anno is a fun game.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Eschatos posted:

They did this a while ago. Selling ships is still pretty profitable at the point in the game where you need money.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Mazz posted:

Very nice.

Poil posted:

Peak Anno right there. The city looks amazing too. :toot:

Thank you both very much! And Mazz, you earned every one of those compliments.

TorakFade posted:

Hello! I used to play Anno 1602 when I was just a kid, loved it, then the series fell off my radars while I was playing other games. Later on I played one of the modern ones (I think 2070) and found it drab and boring so forgot all about it again.

Now I saw this was on free trial, downloaded and got hooked very, very quickly so I bought it while it's discounted. Some beginner tips? :v:

As others have implied:early on, money sucks. Income is small and little villages don't make much more than you need to pay in upkeep. Getting stuff upgraded and money balanced before you run out of your initial stash is pretty important. To that end:

* Build a distillery/potato farm combo and a sheep farm/clothes factory for every 600 farmers and workers. Don't overbuild too much here as it'll hurt your income. Likewise, build a fishery for every 800 farmers and workers.

* Later, when you have workers, the worker/artisan buildings (slaughterhouse for sausage, bakery for bread, brewery for beer) satisfy roughly 1000 workers/artisans each. The soap factory is more efficient, and satisfied 4000.

* Scout around for a second island - assuming you didn't go hog wild with start conditions, your starting ship should have the mats needed to drop on one island. Try to make sure that between your starting island and this one, you can grow grain, tomatoes, and hunt for fur. Also try to get as much iron and coal on the new island as you can.

* Do quests! Do lots and lots of quests for rivals and for the NPCs. If the rivals aren't offering you quests, you can open the diplomacy menu and ask them for new quests if it's been sufficiently long since the last time you asked. Quests get you cash, and sometimes neat stuff, but mostly get you cash you need to keep the dogs at bay while you're trying to get to artisans.

* You can charter routes between islands. You have no idea what this means, and the game does a poo poo job at telling you, but it's actually very useful - you can hire boats to ferry goods one way between islands, without worrying about having to build the boats yourself. The first few are free, at least - after that it costs money and influence, but it's still a great way to get goods from one island to another on a regular basis without having to start up all of the shipyard infrastructure. Just go into the "trade route" menu, and select a Charter Route, and then you can tell it what goods you want shipped from which island to which island.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013
The stats page is great, it's basically the same info 2205 gave.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I expanded out to the new world and have been hoovering up all the islands I can get. I have like 7 in the old world and beryl doesn't seem to mind but gasparov is pissed and started a war with me. Now I will devote a worker island to amassing a huge amount of ships and machine him into the ground.

New world I have 4 like islands. If I hold off on going to Cape trelawney will the npcs wait too? Or do I need to get there soon so I dont show up to all claimed islands? I've heard conflicting info about this.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

TorakFade posted:

The pirate lady is not your enemy. She just thinks she is because she's sober. Be super nice to her until you can trade with her, and then sell her all the booze. She pays especially well for beer. She'll never expand to other islands, and if she likes you her pirate ships leave you alone.

Prison dude likes soap and potato's (don't judge) and wil sell you people with useful abilities (judge harshly, filthy slaver).

RBA-Wintrow fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Dec 13, 2019

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

RBA-Wintrow posted:

The pirate lady is not your enemy. She just thinks she is because she's sober. Be super nice to her until you can trade with her and then sell her all the booze. She pays especially well for beer. She'll never expand to other islands and if she likes you her pirate ships leave you alone.

Prison dude like soap and potato's (don't judge) and wil sell you people with useful abilities (judge harshly, filthy slaver).

I think the idea is you're paying their fines / bail.

Eli's insatiable lust for soap and his weird-rear end lines he delivers when you sell to him are one of the funnier little character bits.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I can finally let go of all that spent up gss.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I miss Trenchcoat.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Pirate lady is straight up the best trading partner in the game because not only does she buy booze at great prices, she sells some of the best ship items in the game from her warehouse and she will attack NPCs with her roving death ball of pirate ships and not you. She will actually snowball into having a pretty large navy when you aren’t killing them all periodically.

No joke she sells blue and purple ship items that will vastly improve your military and trade fleet capabilities in time. 15-50% extra movespeed on trade ships cannot be understated.

Establish/Refresh your non aggression pact with her ASAP, it’s the big diplomacy boost option early on, and give her gifts whenever able. You want her neutral fast so you can set up a dedicated route for schnapps or beer deliveries. Each delivery is a diplomacy boost (and profitable) and she’ll be super friendly in no time.

The new world dude might be good too but I have no idea, I always end up murdering him because I spend so little focus on the new world outside of min/maxing my couple islands.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Dec 13, 2019

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

Pirate farming on the other hand can have it's own rewards, such as dropped epic and legendary items that you can't buy. I usually farm the New World pirate rear end in a top hat and make friends with Lady Pirate. I got some specialist this week that swaps carbon filaments for chassis in the steam carriage plant, and shits out free light bulbs on the side. Woof.

Fun fact I've mostly tested: Five minutes, give or take about 20 seconds, is how long it takes for a ship to move between maps. Nothing I've found will change this. I've had a completely laden base clipper beat a purple item-juiced empty steam ship. So when equipping your ships, give speed items to those ships that spend the longest time actually on maps.

Second fun fact: I'm not sure that steam ships suffer from cargo slowdown AT ALL, but I need to retest that.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Mzbundifund posted:

I think the idea is you're paying their fines / bail.

Eli's insatiable lust for soap and his weird-rear end lines he delivers when you sell to him are one of the funnier little character bits.

I mean, consider the time period and the Not-Imperial-Britain nation we are playing as; most folks locked up will be working-class folks whose crime is being part of an alarmingly growing working class, which the not-Victorians are throwing into chains and shipping out to colonies as fast as possible. The most any of those folks are guilty of is stealing food in order to provide for their families, and most have been convicted on obvious bullshit charges (in real history Handkerchief Theft was a favorite for this).

Pay the fines of all you can afford to and ‘free’ them into a life of mindless drudgery working for your West Indies company!

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

Mazz posted:

Pirate lady is straight up the best trading partner in the game because not only does she buy booze at great prices, she sells some of the best ship items in the game from her warehouse and she will attack NPCs with her roving death ball of pirate ships and not you. She will actually snowball into having a pretty large navy when you aren’t killing them all periodically.

No joke she sells blue and purple ship items that will vastly improve your military and trade fleet capabilities in time. 15-50% extra movespeed on trade ships cannot be understated.

Establish/Refresh your non aggression pact with her ASAP, it’s the big diplomacy boost option early on, and give her gifts whenever able. You want her neutral fast so you can set up a dedicated route for schnapps or beer deliveries. Each delivery is a diplomacy boost (and profitable) and she’ll be super friendly in no time.

The new world dude might be good too but I have no idea, I always end up murdering him because I spend so little focus on the new world outside of min/maxing my couple islands.

Jean owns and has the best voice lines. He starts out neutral so if you avoid uncovering his island until you can afford a ceasefire he will stay neutral. Afaik, he tries to force a ceasefire right after you meet him.

Man I wish I didn't have to work today. I wanna build. In my new game I just unlocked the new world but I was a little unprepared back home and dont have any windows, canned, food, or sewing machines. The artisans aren't too thrilled about that.

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

Mazz posted:

She also sells the best ships period. All pirate combat models have something like +25% rate of fire. The Extravaganza is a cargo ship with 6 cargo slots and 3 items slots, making it the best expedition ship. Once you're in the steam era and have investors, you can make it spawn by buying up her crap ships and selling them off to Archie until you get what you want.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Anyone know if I prolong going on the expedition to Cape trelawney if the whole place will be settled once I get there?

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

vandalism posted:

Anyone know if I prolong going on the expedition to Cape trelawney if the whole place will be settled once I get there?
I think same rules apply as the New World which is yes, but the coast itself is off limits to NPCs.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I made the mistake of trying to get coal from the arctic. I think you just need to import that poo poo really. Same with wood. I am gonna try to get it floating and then set up more in the old world to have more stuff I need up there (haven't even hit brass yet so I can't do much). I think I'm gonna stop expanding now that I have islands everywhere and focus on developing more of what I have. It's chaotic as gently caress up there with tiny islands and no space to do stuff and a heat requirement. I need to tear it all down and restart up there essentially.

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

How are people finding the arctic expansion? I liked the game when I tried it with the Ubisoft plus free month but found the old world would get stale pretty quickly. Trying to build self sufficient little colonies from nothing was really fun though so this sort of seems like it might be more up my alley.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Having a decent go on the trial and slowly starting to get my head around the game. At first it felt like it had a lot in common with incremental clickers, but as time passes can see it has a lot layers on top of that. One thing I've found interesting is that I'm seeing a lot of mechanics that are familiar from elsewhere.. which is making me wonder if Anno is the daddy here and where they originally come from. The onboarding and any tutorial help aspects of the game are terrible though. Not something I'd expect from a franchise that's been running that long. Maybe that's just because it's the trial and it doesn't have the campaign, but I feel like playing it 90% of the stuff is just not explained at all.

Either way I'm probably going to buy one of them. I kind of prefer the future aesthetic to the colonial one they got going on here, but from what I hear the future Anno wasn't as well received and has issues?

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Dec 14, 2019

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Eh, I rather enjoyed them but in some ways it really came down to which aesthetic you preferred. 2070 was very much built on the same system as 1404 and UI wise I think everyone agrees it was a solid improvement and added some interesting mechanics. Also personally I absolutely loved the fact that there were 3 factions to build up and not 2. And what was there was amazing (especially the music) but the absolute dearth of cosmetics was noticed and 2070 involved the developer and Ubisoft trying out some experiments with online play that...didn't work out the best. I still say it was a good game though.

2205 likewise was such an utter departure in a lot of ways from "standard" Anno that it got panned. Again it was a set of experimentation that I feel the developer learned from even if it had some issues. Oh and somehow the game had even less cosmetic doodads to place, which made the skyscrapers somehow even feel more soulless. Again, I still feel the developers learned a lot from it even it had issues.

1800 is both a return to more "classic" Anno gamess and also involves several lessons and ideas taken from 1800 (the multi-zone stuff for one)

Asciana
Jun 16, 2008

Gravy Jones posted:

Having a decent go on the trial and slowly starting to get my head around the game. At first it felt like it had a lot in common with incremental clickers, but as time passes can see it has a lot layers on top of that. One thing I've found interesting is that I'm seeing a lot of mechanics that are familiar from elsewhere.. which is making me wonder if Anno is the daddy here and where they originally come from. The onboarding and any tutorial help aspects of the game are terrible though. Not something I'd expect from a franchise that's been running that long. Maybe that's just because it's the trial and it doesn't have the campaign, but I feel like playing it 90% of the stuff is just not explained at all.

Either way I'm probably going to buy one of them. I kind of prefer the future aesthetic to the colonial one they got going on here, but from what I hear the future Anno wasn't as well received and has issues?

2070 is a fantastic game. Especially with the Tech faction and the ability to carry research into new games via the use of the ARK system.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Gravy Jones posted:

The 1800 campaign functions as a tutorial, but it's not all that in-depth when it comes to many systems. That's just how Anno is. There are a few rough edges, but you won't cut yourself on them and can play the game fine without looking at external resources.

1404, 2070, 2205, and 1800 are all pretty good games. I'm never sure what to recommend to people. I feel like you can't go wrong with 1800 because by any objective measure it's probably the best Anno game ever made. It takes nearly everything that was good about any previous game and slaps new, good stuff on top of it. It's also the first anno game with decent hotkeys, although there's still room for improvement.

The biggest selling point of 1800 is it's the least monotonous at all points in the game. Especially in the endgame. 2205 was fun until you get to the point where you're just building a few more production buildings in each sector while upgrading houses. 1800 lets you approach things quite a bit differently from that, and it has all kinds of extra things you can weave in at the same time.

Lots of big fans of the series really like 2070. I admittedly have never gotten super into it. It's on my todo list. I got really into 1404 last year around this time. It's pretty good, and the cheapest of all recent anno games at $3.75 on sale for the complete edition.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Dec 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
1404 is super good