Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Chatrapati posted:

Can someone explain to me what is going on? I am slightly drunk and not watching television. Everyone is saying awful things, where is this information coming from? Should I be watching a channel? Is there no chance of a Labour government?
the bbc exit poll, which is extremely accurate (the worst guess in the past twenty-some years was 12 seats off) predicted a complete tory blowout

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1205246135943729152

it isnt hard science but it is unlikely to be insanely off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

you cannot control the results. you cannot control the horrifying consequences of the results, though maybe there are things you can do to alleviate some of the suffering. most all that you can do is keep fighting for what you think is right

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Chatrapati posted:

Can someone explain to me what is going on? I am slightly drunk and not watching television. Everyone is saying awful things, where is this information coming from? Should I be watching a channel? Is there no chance of a Labour government?

Brexit was the most important issue and when the NHS is dead people will be like oh well it was worth it

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

OwlFancier posted:

I appreciate the thought but the exit poll is historically quite accurate, and if they're polling marginal constituencies on the same day it is likely to be an effective snapshot of the vote, unless they are using a very strange methodology.

if it's a different methodology then it's not exactly proven, and the polls last time weren't exactly accurate either

when its results are this wild then maybe it's worth being a little skeptical about a new kind of predictor

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Chatrapati posted:

You're best off going to bed tbh. Everything is going to be a shitshow for some time, but especially for the next few hours.

Fyuz
Dec 15, 2004

Did anyone else just mute the TV immediately when Farage showed up.

StoicFnord
Jul 27, 2012

"If you want to make enemies....try to change something."

College Slice
My partner was on BBC Radio Cambridgeshire tonight, talking about the homeless outreach group they help with, explaining how many rough sleepers there are, that there are more now,and how people can help.

And this is like a knife in their heart. I just put them to bed in tears, because they don't get why people can be so heartless.

I want to harm someone. That's how I feel.

gently caress everything

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

jaete posted:

So when are the first actual proper results coming in? Should be right about now yeah?

Only be a handful between now and about 1am.
Big pile usually come in between 2 and 3am

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Mackers posted:

suddenly ukmt thread realises that they are a tiny minority in an evil nazi nation

no!!

And maybe, Mackers, one day you’ll realise that people don’t choose where they’re born.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Jo;

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Bundy posted:

Anyone know how normal this is? That constituency number feels low considering

people on the livestream and discord said it's normal

The questions are about the 65 too close to calls, and potentially young voters not being polled

but even if the exit poll is quite wrong, it's still going to be a bad result. It would have to be incredibly wrong for us to have a good result

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

It's not over yet

In any loving sense

Evrim
Nov 15, 2005

yum!!

Chatrapati posted:

sorry Chatrapati it's not our year

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Orange Devil posted:

Don't forget, there is no final victory and there is no final defeat. Don't give up.

I keep saying this in the US and everyone keeps yelling at me.

Hopefully the exit polls are stupid and wrong. But if not, well, gently caress the government and gently caress Boris.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Ye gods, if Farage ends up being the person who gets MMP properly onto the political agenda...

Digging down into the seat-by-seat predictions on the BBC website, results for some of my seats to watch:

Hartlepool: too close to call but 52% chance of a Tory gain
Birmingham, Erdington: too close but 55% Tory gain
St Albans: too close but 59% chance of Lib gain
Burnley: too close but 54% Tory gain
Croydon Central: too close but 61% Lab hold
Wimbledon: too close 49% Tory hold
Wirral West: 75% Lab hold
Enfield, Southgate: too close 55% Lab hold
Clywd South: 94% Con gain
Darlington: 99% Con gain

The wider picture seems to be that they're pretty certain about the seats which, if they fall, point to a small Tory majority; they're a lot more doubtful about the ones which point to a landslide, but there's a lot of them and they think it's very close, leaning blue, in a lot of them.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Chatrapati posted:

The exit polls indicate the largest Conservative majority since Thatcher

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Oh the papers are going to be insufferable tomorrow, the Mail will be crowing about this for the next 5 years.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Bundy posted:

This is probably how the polling will bear out and I suspect the tactical voting fuckery splitting votes. Also perhaps the timing being bad for students.

Problem with a ton of the Tac-vote sites was they were being run dishonestly. The one that was being shared most, for example, encouraged people in my constituency to vote LD to "Keep Tories out", despite blatantly showing Lab with a 15% majority over LDs, and a massive lead over Con when you looked at the "current voting intention" tab.

I'm pretty sure a lot of the Tac-vote drives were pure disinformation warfare, designed to split votes.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Corbyn clinging to lexit (which was a stupid idea) was the thing that ruined him in a lot of people's eyes.

I don't think my MP even bothered to campaign.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Ash Crimson posted:

i told you i told you about the english

I am English and gently caress off with your ethnonationalist bullshit seriously

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The thing I keep going back to is that the Conservatives HAVE BEEN IN POWER and they have been a complete and utter shitshow in every way....

DiscoWitch
Oct 16, 2009

uwu
How is Jorris going to get out of this one? If he's in power and fucks brexit and the country and Corbs is gone, there wont be anything else to blame left and people will be angry when they reap what they have sowed.

But we dont know the result until it is here. If you are struggling right now maybe do something to help distract away for a bit, come back later sharper because we need to gather strength to party or to fight on!

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
did the UK just elect a Trump miniboss what happened im scared

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tactical voting is the biggest loving con in the world

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Oo wouldn't mind if it at least went lib-dem here instead of that loving Anne Main swanning about like an arsehole all the time

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012

Regarde Aduck posted:

And maybe, Mackers, one day you’ll realise that people don’t choose where they’re born.

if youda grown up rich you'd have loved putting the boot down

english oval office, its in your dna

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Is this the thread I come in to type gently caress repeatedly

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

That's two spectacularly misjudged early election calls in a row now.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

ThomasPaine posted:

I am English and gently caress off with your ethnonationalist bullshit seriously

you're free to come up here if you wish to seek political refuge

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Endorph posted:

Yep

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

baka kaba posted:

if it's a different methodology then it's not exactly proven, and the polls last time weren't exactly accurate either

when its results are this wild then maybe it's worth being a little skeptical about a new kind of predictor

When I say strange methodology I mean something like "discounting every third labour vote". If they're just getting a representative sample of people polled in marginal constituencies there's no real reason why it should be wrong unless all the seats are knife edge.

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
I have accepted the worst right now (like every single loving election I've voted in for 22 years now), but can you make an argument that if the exit polls sample of consituencies may not be representative anymore if there's been a massive misalingment of who's voting for what, like Brexit seems to have done to the former party strongholds? Like, if they're been over-sampled in Leave leaning areas then it's maybe not as bad as it seems?

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
How many declarations do we need to wait for before we can say 'ok yeah this poll was probably right, we are hosed after all'

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The anglophone world sucks.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Endorph posted:

fptp is in fact bad

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Endorph posted:

Tactical voting doesn't work in FPTP

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!

Mackers posted:

if youda grown up rich you'd have loved putting the boot down

english oval office, its in your dna

regarde is a dsd but its a bit much to call them english

Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job

Look after yourselves and the people around you

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

mcmagic posted:

The thing I keep going back to is that the Conservatives HAVE BEEN IN POWER and they have been a complete and utter shitshow in every way....

Too much of Labour wants Brexit, which the Tories are pushing for so I think that hosed everything.

But I 100% admit this is just off the top of my head right now, because holy poo poo, sorry UK goons. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Dabir posted:

brexit was our trump moment, the renting asunder happened, and it made no loving difference

Not true. You didn’t have the Trump. You didn’t have an oafish dipshit in charge that thumb faced uncles could revel in. May didn’t finish the brexit. This Is The Culmination of the Trump Moment. The Trumpening, Part 2.

I’m really sorry that you’re gonna have the Worst Brexit. But also, you’re gonna have the worst Brexit, don’t gently caress this opportunity up. Now is the time to get young, dynamic leftists into politics to counter the inevitable centrist push that will be coming to Labour. But people gotta start pounding the pavement tomorrow.