Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Paperhouse posted:

doesn't really make a difference because they're still Tories and would ally with them if necessary

but interesting if the exit poll isn't correct in those seats I guess

No I think the suggestion is the brexit party has prevented the tories from securing a majority in that seat leaving it to another party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Newcastle smashed it at least.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

jabby posted:

If it's any consolation, achieving the nomination threshold for a leadership election is pretty easy with only 190 MPs.

Seriously though, now we have to encourage the membership not to give in to despair and elect somebody like Jess Phillips or Keir Starmer who will take the party back to the right and immediately lock the membership out of power.

I'm not despairing because I don't think the membership will quit in such number that jess phillips wins but I think you should accept Starmer might well be the next leader

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

Maybe we just need to Brexit so we can go back to fighting the Tories on other issues

This has been the case since 2017 but unfortunately it required every non-Tory MP to vote the same way plus all of the various Tory defectors and the only party which supported literally every option to remove the Brexit issue without hard brexiting was Labour, all of the other non-Tory parties hosed around and refused to support anything other then their preferred option

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
end the election now, pm chi

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

One nil, loving call it here, Labour win

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

stev posted:

Newcastle smashed it at least.

go on. and up for a commiserations drink?

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

serious gaylord posted:

They're recounting Blyth loving valley.

Blyth valley

Walton Simons posted:

Exit poll suggesting Hartlepool and loving Sedgefield will go Tory. 6-7k majorities there. The loving hologram that is David Morris of Morecambe and Lunesdale is at 99% to keep his seat. This is a disaster unless it's the worst exit poll in history several times over.

The only silver lining is that my MP, Cat Smith of Lancaster and Fleetwood, is predicted to hold, with the barely-existent Tory campaign only given an 11% chance.

all 3 leave constituencies by large margins

Get Brexit Done worked I reckon

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Barely a swing at all in Newcastle. Gonna cling on to that hope for... a minute or two

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Jose posted:

I'm not despairing because I don't think the membership will quit in such number that jess phillips wins but I think you should accept Starmer might well be the next leader

Starmer is a centrist melt, so let's loving hope not.

Wazzerphuk
Feb 9, 2001

Hating Chelsea before it was cool
Winner of the PWM POTM for September
Winner of the PWM POTM for January
Co-Winner of the PWM POTM for March

Barry Shitpeas posted:

this is the worst pwm reunion

every poster from every club comes in with everything we need for a TERRIBLE evening

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
Con turnout in Newcastle Central was constant. Libdems and Brexit Party seem to have scalped a few thousand votes of Lab.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Soylent Yellow posted:

Con turnout in Newcastle Central was constant. Libdems and Brexit Party seem to have scalped a few thousand votes of Lab.

of course the lib dems hosed us

Fyuz
Dec 15, 2004

Jose posted:

go on. and up for a commiserations drink?

As one of the 21k who voted for Chi, count me in if it's an open offer.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

We're winning 2-0 so far comrades

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

RottenK posted:

Literally any leader that doesn't want to kill the poors would have a negative image because the press lies about people like that.

People somehow seem to have forgotten what reception the media gave Milliband. Inbetween BBCs pro-government stance and Murdoch there is no such thing as picking a leader with an image the media will like.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Fyuz posted:

As one of the 21k who voted for Chi, count me in if it's an open offer.

i voted for nick brown but i have gently caress all to do until after christmas what with being unemployed

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008
Somebody post that pic of the dog in the house on fire but photoshop him saying "this is definitely not Corbyn's fault"

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...
On the plus side the Tory Party eat the next crisis of capitalism in the face.

On the down side that means lots of dead people.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1205267965312147456
https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1205268570491494402
Voters are just going directly from Labour to the Brexit party.

Corbyn was still Corbyn in 2017. It's Brexit that has hosed us this time, not a left-wing manifesto.

Leggsy
Apr 30, 2008

We'll take our chances...
Tories take Blyth Valley. Go to bed, it's only gonna get worse from here.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Already arguing with family over WhatsApp. I’m just fuming. Saying Labour has insane policies and that I’m being thick by suggesting an increase in homelessness and privatisation of the NHS.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Boomers, man

Boomers

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Bridget Phillipson lost most of her majority in Sunderland (12k > 3k). The leave vote would have won if it wasn't split between BXP and CON.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
gently caress the remain alliance.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

This is why I got out of politics the last time. Just too painful.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Brexit just seems to be the gift that keeps on giving, huh?

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Cons win Blyth Valley from Labour by 712 votes

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

whoever designed that tactical voting libdem website belongs in the hague

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

It is possible that given the innate conservatism of a lot of people here the only way to get a left wing government in the UK is to run as the centre left. One thing which is clear is that having *actually* centre-left policies doesn’t affect much because people don’t read the manifestos.

It sucks that you can’t get our fellow citizens to believe in the possibility of a better life but what can you do?

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
Future one term MP for Blyth Valley giving his victory speech.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

jabby posted:

Starmer is a centrist melt, so let's loving hope not.

Guess it depends if you want to win in 2024 or not.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
I post this, because he wrote the "Hope is a lie" Transformer meme

https://twitter.com/jroberts332/status/1205269205630824454

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

Desiderata posted:

On the plus side the Tory Party eat the next crisis of capitalism in the face.

On the down side that means lots of dead people.

the influx of american money will soften things long enough for the tories to not be tied to the next worldwide economy crash. in fact they will be looked at fondly

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Real talk: if I didn’t know I could commiserate with my family about this, I’d be very very close to doing something irreversible right now. Stay safe, find a friend or family member you can talk to.

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
That swing in the north is not good.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Re midlands:

Thatcher hosed the midlands hardest of any of the industrial towns, repeatedly and brutally. Then the Tories blamed the EU for loving the midlands. Then the midlands voted to leave the EU quite heavily because the EU spawned thatcher and her policies, according to the tories. Then the Tories won the midlands because only they could stop the EU from keeping going with EU Thatchers tory policies from the EU which were loving the midlands, via Thatcher.

also, racism. Midlands is full of racists.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
It's okay to look into the abyss... and laugh

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
BBC predicting my Welsh town has voted majority conservative

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

pumpinglemma posted:

Real talk: if I didn’t know I could commiserate with my family about this, I’d be very very close to doing something irreversible right now. Stay safe, find a friend or family member you can talk to.

Sadly I don't have any of those.