Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

achtungnight posted:

Koval Mansion is a fun level, more so with a bad Thief than a skilled one. The scrolls are very much worth the trip.

I wonder how long Chokes will delay the Graveyard mission...
What level does Shanna have to be to vaporize zombies with a glance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Commander Keene posted:

What level does Shanna have to be to vaporize zombies with a glance?

Six.

She’s five now. :getin:

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Rope Guild, Pope Guild joke reminds me of a YTP I know called “Wow! It’s Made!”

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

We also find a trapped cabinet that Sternn fails to disarm and nukes half our party with. Rezen blows it off its hinges with Knock in revenge. The doors, I mean. Not the party.

Casting Knock on the party wouldn't do anything. They're already unhinged.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
My favourite spell trivia is that in 2e Knock actually did do damage to living creatures because it would 'open chests'.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Elfface posted:

My favourite spell trivia is that in 2e Knock actually did do damage to living creatures because it would 'open chests'.

Hmm... Now you've got me wondering what a Knock spell would do to a treasure chest mimic.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

DGM_2 posted:

Hmm... Now you've got me wondering what a Knock spell would do to a treasure chest mimic.

scannersheadexplosion.gif

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

DGM_2 posted:

Casting Knock on the party wouldn't do anything. They're already unhinged.

*long silence*
*chokes stands up and starts clapping, slowly but firmly*
*entire thread joins in raucous applause*

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Everybody drop what you’re doing right loving now and watch the new Harley Quinn cartoon on DC Online any way you can get it.

Holy crap I laughed myself stupid. If you like what I did with Sternn you’re gonna love this show.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.
Surprisingly little to note about the Ruins of Adventure version of Kovel Mansion, it was just kind of there. Interestingly, the ambushing thieves there are drawn directly from a pool of 18 thieves, three of each level from 1 to 6, with every ambusher being the lowest level thief available, and if you kill him he's gone and the next lowest level is drawn next. Once you've killed all 18, the mansion is clear and you've completed the mission, no final fight, no dying man with critical information about The Boss. The traps and treasures are just as thick, though the cabinet full of spell scrolls isn't nearly as great on the face of it, but it does have much higher level spells, despite this mission being intended to be done here between levels 3 and 5. There's also a room full of expensive rugs valued at minimum 14000 gold with each rug having a 10% chance of being worth an extra 5000. There's also sacks of hundreds of coins, and the caskets contain jewelry worth thousands more. I think this place is simultaneously meant to make the party flush with cash and also weight them down with so many coins the thieves become serious threats.

In the version I ran, I replaced this, the slums, and another area that hasn't appeared yet with a series of residential districts where the party went from house to house clearing out squatting goblins and orcs, culminating in an attack on an abandoned and repurposed wizard's laboratory.

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011
So what I'm getting from this is, chainsawing God, traveling across time and space, and being broken into little bitsy pieces and buried alive used as a source of power has only made Rezen more... Rezen. I love it.

RelentlessImp fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Dec 7, 2019

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

Ah yes the Chokes Cinematic Universe

Chokes McGee posted:

it includes both The Lady and somehow the entire compute!'s gazette lp and I stand by that assertion

Chokes McGee posted:

apple willie bard's tale run when

I'd missed the DW3 LP and needed to refresh my memory on the FFL ones, and I regret to inform you that this is not the way the gazette LP made it into canon.

All through the FFL LPs we are sent off to your sound cloud for some set of suitably epic music. And every time.

Every.

Time.

SoundCloud would then select a song to autoplay after one loop, it inevitably chose this.

: THE TITHE MUST BE PAID

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

RelentlessImp posted:

So what I'm getting from this is, chainsawing God, traveling across time and space, and being broken into little bitsy pieces and buried alive used as a source of power has only made Rezen more... Rezen. I love it.

Rezen don't stop Rezen can't stop

ManxomeBromide posted:

I'd missed the DW3 LP and needed to refresh my memory on the FFL ones, and I regret to inform you that this is not the way the gazette LP made it into canon.

All through the FFL LPs we are sent off to your sound cloud for some set of suitably epic music. And every time.

Every.

Time.

SoundCloud would then select a song to autoplay after one loop, it inevitably chose this.

: THE TITHE MUST BE PAID

well

I mean it's not beekeeper

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Sup thread. Next update should be coming out sometime soon, probably during the weekend. This next part is very boring so I’ve been putting it off, plus I’m undergoing job search and it’s been nuts.

Thanks for your patience, and I promise not to Paper Sorcerer this one.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
I know the next part that's coming (from your update preview title) and yeah, it's boring. No spoilers, so I can't say why yet.

Just know that your LP is good enough I'm still awaiting the boring parts with bated breath. :D

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme
Best of luck on the job search!

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Chokes McGee posted:

Sup thread. Next update should be coming out sometime soon, probably during the weekend. This next part is very boring so I’ve been putting it off, plus I’m undergoing job search and it’s been nuts.

Thanks for your patience, and I promise not to Paper Sorcerer this one.

Have you tried telling the wasps to stop freeloading and start paying their share of the rent?

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
When I was a lad, I really enjoyed this next part, but that's probably because I was always too low a level for it. On more recent playthroughs... eh.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

idonotlikepeas posted:

When I was a lad, I really enjoyed this next part, but that's probably because I was always too low a level for it. On more recent playthroughs... eh.

It and the lizardman ruins are a humongous dead spot in what's otherwise a very well crafted episodic adventure, and I have no idea what they're doing hanging around in mid-game.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Content extraction is under way. Brace for update later tonight.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Pool of Radiance, Chapter 11: u nomad?

Heeeey, S—

GO TO THE GRAVEYARD.

I'm not even bothering to appeal to your better nature. Here's your goddamn bribe. Go!

—asha :grin:

OH MY GOD JUST GO TO THE GRAVEYARD

That seemed to go well!

I think she's really warmin' up to you, boss.

:grin:

Today on the Gold Box adventures, we'll leave the city for the first time and go on a spooOOOoOOky quest. But first, we have to see a man about a horse.

Oh. Well, that was easy enough.

For whatever reason, you get a free horse when you leave the city and already know how to ride it. It's unclear if it represents multiple horses in 2D, or if all six of your guys pile onto the back of a single horse. Oh well, at least it lets us explore the map! We're not going too far out of our way to start with, though, since the Valhigen Graveyard is on the outskirts of the east city.

Sasha's not kidding about the bribe. If you put off going to the graveyard long enough, the council will shove some fairly high level weapons/scrolls into your hands and tell you to do something about it right now. If they're gonna provide free gear, the least we can do is see what all the fuss is about :shrug:

Did you ever figure out how to banish undead, Shanna?

I guess we'll find out soon enough.

That's, like, not comforting.

No. No, it is not.

Pssh, big deal. We've seen way worse. :rolleyes:

OMG OMG

Guess Sasha wasn't kidding.

Yeah. We prrrrrrrobably shouldn't have let it get this bad.

it's meeeeeeee, the ghoooooooooooost of calculusssssssss paaaaast

:gonk:

*snatch* Stop that this instant.

Aw.

Seriously, why are you idiots freaking out? It's not like we haven't killed a billion skeletons before this.

OH NO

THEY'RE EVERYWHERE WE TURN AAA AAAAAA

THE RESTLESS DEAD COME FOR OUR SOULS, RUN FOR YOUR LIVES

Today on the Gold Box adventures, we're going to roam the countryside in search of ~adventure~. That first part never happened, and this is the start of the LP chapter. Don't question it.

Seriously, though. I took a run at Valhigen Graveyard since we got the loot for it, and, uh, nope. An army of takes-half-damage skeletons is obnoxious enough, but that's just the welcoming committee. Things rapidly escalate from there, so we're going to backburner that commission as long as possible. None of the missions are time boxed, so I'm sure it'll be fine.

quote:

Good haul today, Joe.

Sure is. Kinda weird how we're getting away with it.

Yup. No problems whatsoever.

Anyway, we haven't seen it directly, but one of the quests on our plate is to stop a group of nomads from being recruited by the Boss. We're going to tackle that in lieu of getting our collective faces kicked in doing Valhigen. Normally, you would accomplish this by riding around and searching for ~adventure~ until you discovered the location of the camp.

*gallop* *gallop* Woo! Adventure!

W...woo? Adventure?

Y'know... adventure kind of sucks.

And yet, when I say that, I get called cynical.

Aren't you, though?

Oh, I don't know. Am I? :jerkbag:

While we're riding around, we'll stumble across things like giant lizards, stirges, owlbears, and all sorts of other nonsense that is every bit as terrible as it sounds. Worse, being outdoors puts us at a significant tactical disadvantage. There are tiles like brush, root tangles, and river that take two units of movement to pass over. There's nowhere to form choke points if things go really badly wrong. And on top of that, wilderness battle maps are massive, and there's no good way to locate where the hell your opponents are. Your best shot is to go into (A)im mode and hit (N)ext, then watch which direction the cursor jumps when it focuses on the target.

Best of all, even if you locate your targets, you've usually got a lot of ground to cover. You can't just (G)uard and wait for them to come to you because of the AI's horrible pathing. :cripes:

Fortunately, I happen to know the Nomad Camp is here. We're going to invoke the Chokes Has Played the Game Before doctrine and make a beeline for these coordinates. This will be neither the first time nor the last time this doctrine will be invoked. In fact, I expect to use it at least once a chapter. Better get used to it now.

So. Ambush?

Yup.

Think we should avoid it?

Ehn.

:geno:

Gasp of shock.

Ditzy comment.

Sarcastic retort.

Can't be bothered to put in the effort, huh?

It's not like we have a lot to work with here.

Okay, everybody take a few deep breaths. We're not here to—

I CRAVE BL—

*cast*

Like I said, we're not here to hurt anybody. We just want to talk.

(cool casual racism, game)

You in charge here?

Yeah, what of it?

New Phlan's council sent us to keep you from joining the Boss. What do you need from us to keep that from happen?

I don't know if there's anything you can do. You gotta understand, the Boss has a loaded crossbow pointed at our heads here. If we don't join, they're going to flatten us. Women, children, and all.

Yeah, that's not gonna happen.

Agreed. If you take a stand now, you'll have our weapons on your side.

Hells yeah we accept!

—OOD

Hey, Heather. Just to catch you up: these guys are cool, and we're gonna kill a bunch of the Boss' dudes for them.

Oh! Righteous.

Doesn't take much with that one, does it?

It's pretty much give her a sword, point her at something ambulatory, and get out of the way.

Totally. When I turned 18, I got this rad tattoo. Check it out! *flex*

"This end towards enemy."

You need that kind of label on guns this gnarly. :smug:

Well, we've found the nomad camp. You can, of course, elect to (F)ight and wipe them out. The council doesn't care how you stop them from joining, just that you do. You also get slightly better loot drops this way. If you're not a raging sociopath, however, you'll listen to their plight and lend a hand. You'll have to fight a lot more monsters, but on the bright side, the nomads really know how to throw a party.

Saaay, Hanover! I think that's a record in the Rezen Toss!

You know that's not an actual event, right? It's just something you're doing on your own.

So what I'm hearin' is, I win.

oof

...lemon curry?

It's a regional specialty. :shrug:

Well, I wouldn't want to be rude. *eats*

How is it?

*forces swallow* The lemon really adds a subtle brightness to how awful the rest of it is.

*write*

Journal Entry 55 posted:

Delivered as you sit around the campfire.

"You must beware of the many dangers in this region. Several days walk to the west there is the pyramid of evil. It has been long avoided by all sensible men. To the southeast is a lair of many ferocious hobgoblins. The areas to the southwest, are inhabited by evil men -- buccaneers, marauders, and soldiers of an evil empire far to the west. And all good folks avoid the swamps to the east. Nothing but danger grows in the swamps."

Thank you for your hospitality. I swear to you, we will repay it.

So... what's this, again?

Sweetened beer made of the ginger root.

*drink*

How is it?

it makes my tongue do a little dance

Sorry about tossin' you across the square, short stuff.

Meh. I knew what I was getting into.

:pray:

Shanna? What are you doing?

I'm praying. The Boss' hordes are about to descend on a village of innocents. Even one life lost is a failure.

Wow. You take this way more seriously than the rest of us.

I've noticed.

Aw, don't be like that. We're in this to save people, too.

We are?

*smacks back of his head*

OW! I mean, we are.

Yeah. My friends and I saved, like, a ton of people on our nacelle. Rezen and her friends saved their world, too!

I still feel like all of you don't take things seriously enough. It's a concerning trend.

Ehn, it'll be fine. We're real good at loving things up for the better.

*praying intensifies*

After the festivities, you'll be shown to a hut and given about a day of game time to make whatever preparations are necessary. If you want to be a complete and total cock, you can sneak off and let the Boss nuke them for daring to stand up for themselves. Unsurprisingly, we're not taking that option. If you stick around, you should be able to redo your entire spell list in about 6-7 game hours, so you can wander the camp a little bit if you like. There's absolutely nothing of interest to see, but at least you get a quiet moment before the fight begins. After that, you might as well head back to a hut and use (R)est to burn up the remaining time. Eventually, night will fall, and then...

WHO DARES DISTURBS MY BEAUTY SLUMBER

Well, that was stupid of him.

Why didn't he, like, call for backup first?

Focus, you morons! The Boss' army is here!

...his... army of... kobolds.

You gotta be kiddin' me.

What's going on? Who raised the alarm?!

The dead guy over there!

Well, that was stupid of him. Why didn't he call for backup first?

Beats me.

The slavering horde that the Boss sent to decimate the village is... kobolds. Seriously. Just a big ol' group of kobolds. I would remind you at this point that sweep effects one target per level, so each of our fighters can potentially kill up to five kobolds a round. In addition, the nomad archers will be helping us out during our fights. They're scrub tier, but so are the kobolds, so nomad arrows can one shot them easily.

We have to get these things under control, or they'll swarm us!

Quick! Deploy a tactical Heather!

THE REAPER APPROACHES, ARE YOU PREPARED

I'm not gonna lie to you, Steve. I got a real bad feeling about this.

Hell, same.

I don't think I can stress how underwhelming this whole thing is. Also, since they're warriors who joined the fight willingly, there's no in-game penalties for nomads dying other than making you feel bad about your choices as a leader. You rear end in a top hat.

More incoming!

*yawn*

I can't believe this is the squad they sent. The whole thing just seems so.... anticlimactic.

They go squish pretty good, though.

I suppose that's the best we can ask for.

Your reward for beating an army of kobolds? Another army of kobolds! :effort: Some of these have bow and arrows, though. I... guess it's an improvement? Even still, if you're getting your rear end kicked by kobolds at this point, something has gone seriously wrong with your party.

What the hell is going on out there? This was supposed to be a milk job! We literally outnumber them ten to one!

Sorry, sir! They've hired mercenaries!

What? What kind of thug would work for the money these guys can pay?

KILLLLLLLLLLL

Are you making GBS threads me.

Sir! What do we do?!

Well, we can die here, or we can die when the Boss finds out we ran. Might as well die with honor.

I understand. It's been a pleasure to serve with you.

Hey, you too. *sip* Well, see ya.

...what?

YOU'RE NEXT, TINY

Oh god dammit.

After wave #2, the armies are very clearly falling apart, so their morale score will start to lower. That means they'll now surrender after enough of them are killed. It saves time, I suppose.

Hell yeah. Let's do this poo poo.

:getin:

:thurman:

Victor, meet spoils!

You don't have to do this last fight. You can bow out and let the nomads clean up the rest, but the leader gives you a "reward equal to your bravery" or something really backhanded like that, and the loot is pitiful. There's no reason not to see the rest through. You have a unique fighter, two Level 4 fighter bodyguard, a small army of archers, and your usual guys against maybe 50 kobolds at most. If you win, you get a Two-Handed Sword +2 and a Wand of Magic Missles. The first one isn't too big of a deal. It's not that much more damage than a long sword, and you don't get to use a shield with it. On the other hand, that wand is a big loving deal and will save our asses multiple times when we finally start fighting high level mages.

I can't say this enough: once you've finally found the drat camp, this whole scenario should be a 5-7 minute cakewalk from start to finish. If you're waiting for the other shoe to drop, it's not coming. Enjoy it while it lasts.

From now on, consider us an ally of the New Phlan Council.

Hell yeah! The Boss'll think twice before sending his dumbfuck minions out here again.

Seriously, you've saved all of us. I don't care what everyone else says. You six are heroes to me.

Uh... should I be offended?

Probably not. I mean, it's us.

:sigh:

Of course. Accept our condolences as well. *gestures* Requiescat in pace, amen.

Ew. Casting fire spells is so inappropriate right now, Shanna.

Yeah! Have some class.

I've given up even trying to figure you two out.

And that's it. Seriously, that's all there is to this commission. If it weren't for an ill-advised detour, this would easily be the shortest update until Silver Blades. We beat up a dump truck full of kobolds and saved some migrants. The end. It's a really odd flat spot just when the game is starting to hit its stride and one of the easier side missions to do. There's only one more quest in PoR that's easier, and we'll see that in due time. For now, tune in next update, where you'll hear Hanover say:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Next Time: Adolescent Mutant Fighter Lizards

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Is the graveyard really gonna be left as the very last thing? All those skeletons are gonna voltron together into one huge one.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Oh, well, if they Voltron together, then you just need one shot of Turn Undead to deal with them :pseudo:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
When have unending hordes of the undead ever posed a problem to civilization other then every form of media for the last hundred years? This'll be easy to stop once we get around to the graveyard

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
[Skeletons...]

So, if you carry some bludgeoning weapons as backups, they deal full damage to skeletons.

[Random outdoor encounters...]

So, if you carry some ranged weapons as backups, they are very effective against these wilderness encounters.

[Kobold cakewalk...]

Some things don’t need advice.

It may be easy, but the designers were being nice in the sense that you usually get the sweep ability at L2 fighter and then stop encountering monsters you can sweep with it. Bringing back kobolds is a way to make you feel awesome and powerful before the endgame areas remind you that you are still low level PCs.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I vote we check out the Hobgoblin Lair at some point. It’s never actually mentioned anywhere else in game unless you stumble into it. Other monsters’ lairs, yes, but not that one. I usually retconned it as a neutral party of unfortunate monsters caught too close to the war. (Note- there are plenty of other monsters in the same situation but we don’t have directions to their lairs.)

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

achtungnight posted:

I vote we check out the Hobgoblin Lair at some point. It’s never actually mentioned anywhere else in game unless you stumble into it. Other monsters’ lairs, yes, but not that one. I usually retconned it as a neutral party of unfortunate monsters caught too close to the war. (Note- there are plenty of other monsters in the same situation but we don’t have directions to their lairs.)

IIRC that's actually a random encounter. I hadn't gotten into those because Chokes Has Played the Game Before cuts down on wandering. I also think the only one I've ever tripped was the snake cave, which is... I mean, it's a snake. In a small cave. There you go, that's the snake cave. :geno:

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
It's a random encounter? I never knew that. Guess I didn't play the game as much as you did. Ah well.

quote:

It's just a snake in a cave.

The quickest encounter in the game.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

PurpleXVI posted:

Is the graveyard really gonna be left as the very last thing? All those skeletons are gonna voltron together into one huge one.

Pfft, please. It's not like this is a thing that can happen in-game.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

achtungnight posted:

It's a random encounter? I never knew that. Guess I didn't play the game as much as you did. Ah well.

I mean, maybe it's not. It's not like I kept notes on where it was or anything.

e: I forgot my usual "I am not an expert on this game" disclaimer but I am not an expert on this game. I may get things wrong or misremember and there's nothing you can do about it because it's my thread. Now what :smug:

Chokes McGee fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Dec 19, 2019

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Chokes McGee posted:

IIRC that's actually a random encounter. I hadn't gotten into those because Chokes Has Played the Game Before cuts down on wandering. I also think the only one I've ever tripped was the snake cave, which is... I mean, it's a snake. In a small cave. There you go, that's the snake cave. :geno:

“I am sick and tired of these... wait, was that the only motherfucking snake in this motherfucking cave?”

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Narsham posted:

“I am sick and tired of these... wait, was that the only motherfucking snake in this motherfucking cave?”

It turns out the snake in this motherfucking cave did not outstay its motherfucking welcome!

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

Totally. When I turned 18, I got this rad tattoo. Check it out! *flex*

"This end towards enemy."

You need that kind of label on guns this gnarly. :smug:

And when did you get that one?

Which one?

Lemon Curry.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
I'm not sure I get the lemon curry joke. There are dozens of variations on lemon curry IRL. I had a really good one at a local restaurant a few weeks ago. Not in the sense that it was chunks of lemon in curry, it was mostly in the sauce with some zest as a garnish. There definitely are recipes that involve whole chunks of lemon though.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Zushio posted:

I'm not sure I get the lemon curry joke. There are dozens of variations on lemon curry IRL. I had a really good one at a local restaurant a few weeks ago. Not in the sense that it was chunks of lemon in curry, it was mostly in the sauce with some zest as a garnish. There definitely are recipes that involve whole chunks of lemon though.

...lemon curry? :raise:

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

That line about the headman being "the biggest, meanest, dirtiest nomad" in the camp is directly from the module, as is most of the rest of the text they used in-game here. Nearly half the text devoted to this adventure is devoted to explaining how you have to fight a hundred angry dudes if you act hostile towards them, but if you offer a gift, or are nice to the chief, or "do anything else that is remotely civilized" (again, direct quote), they'll greet you with open arms. The talk around the fire lists a few more of the hostiles in the region, all of which are still in the game, but I guess the developers didn't want to give too much away in one conversation.

The kobolds, kinda surprisingly, are directly from the book as well. They only attack in one wave (the "kobold wave" is described as the only battle tactic the undisciplined, disorganized, and desperate kobolds know). 150 kobolds attack your party and the 50-90 nomads (the module gives a breakdown of the camp as being 50 men, 35 women, and 10 children, and that the children don't fight, which suggests that the women do, but it never says so outright). The kobolds break and run if 100 of them die, the nomads only bother to chase them if their own casualties were light. Your reward here is based directly on how many nomads got killed, if they take under 20% casualties, they give you a magic sword, a pile of gold, and the pile of gold the kobolds were carrying. If they take over 20% casualties, they hold back the sword and most of their gold. If the chief dies, you only get the kobolds' gold. Best case scenario, you walk out of the camp with 8000 gold and a +2 sword.

The most interesting change here? In the module, the kobolds have nothing at all to do with The Boss. The nomads are just worried about a large band of kobolds in the vicinity and ask you to stick around and help out.

I also thought the kobolds were kind of a letdown, and so in my adaptation of the module I changed out the entire attack on the camp. Instead, the party represented the Council in a series of tests of strength against a party representing the Boss, and whoever impressed the nomads more would sway them to their side. The party lost, because the Boss's side had giants (I never suggested the games wouldn't be rigged against them), but they sort of came out ahead by making inroads with the giants and eventually get them to swap sides.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Truthkeeper posted:

That line about the headman being "the biggest, meanest, dirtiest nomad" in the camp is directly from the module, as is most of the rest of the text they used in-game here. Nearly half the text devoted to this adventure is devoted to explaining how you have to fight a hundred angry dudes if you act hostile towards them, but if you offer a gift, or are nice to the chief, or "do anything else that is remotely civilized" (again, direct quote), they'll greet you with open arms. The talk around the fire lists a few more of the hostiles in the region, all of which are still in the game, but I guess the developers didn't want to give too much away in one conversation.

The kobolds, kinda surprisingly, are directly from the book as well. They only attack in one wave (the "kobold wave" is described as the only battle tactic the undisciplined, disorganized, and desperate kobolds know). 150 kobolds attack your party and the 50-90 nomads (the module gives a breakdown of the camp as being 50 men, 35 women, and 10 children, and that the children don't fight, which suggests that the women do, but it never says so outright). The kobolds break and run if 100 of them die, the nomads only bother to chase them if their own casualties were light. Your reward here is based directly on how many nomads got killed, if they take under 20% casualties, they give you a magic sword, a pile of gold, and the pile of gold the kobolds were carrying. If they take over 20% casualties, they hold back the sword and most of their gold. If the chief dies, you only get the kobolds' gold. Best case scenario, you walk out of the camp with 8000 gold and a +2 sword.

The most interesting change here? In the module, the kobolds have nothing at all to do with The Boss. The nomads are just worried about a large band of kobolds in the vicinity and ask you to stick around and help out.

I also thought the kobolds were kind of a letdown, and so in my adaptation of the module I changed out the entire attack on the camp. Instead, the party represented the Council in a series of tests of strength against a party representing the Boss, and whoever impressed the nomads more would sway them to their side. The party lost, because the Boss's side had giants (I never suggested the games wouldn't be rigged against them), but they sort of came out ahead by making inroads with the giants and eventually get them to swap sides.

Unrelated to anything but your Recettear avatar makes me giggle like an idiot every time.

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"

Truthkeeper posted:

Is there any abbreviated combat rules for large groups in the 1st edition? I would think a battle with about 250 participants would wear the edges off your dice.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Knowing early ed. D&D, there's probably a chart you roll on where the PCs actions have only a slight effect on the outcome. Or yes, they just flat-out expect you to actually run a combat with 200+ participants. OG D&D had a lot of BS like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Hobologist posted:

Is there any abbreviated combat rules for large groups in the 1st edition? I would think a battle with about 250 participants would wear the edges off your dice.

None that I've ever seen, although I wouldn't put it past Gygax to have buried it somewhere next to the random dungeon generator. Recall that AD&D1e is only a couple versions and a handful of years removed from being a tabletop combat game. Really, it's not that much worse than playing a high point value army of weak mooks in modern Warhammer 40k.

Commander Keene posted:

Knowing early ed. D&D, there's probably a chart you roll on where the PCs actions have only a slight effect on the outcome. Or yes, they just flat-out expect you to actually run a combat with 200+ participants. OG D&D had a lot of BS like that.

Nope, you are flat out expected to run the whole combat, controlling all the damned nomads and double-damned kobolds, and keep enough track of what the PCs do to determine if they "significantly contributed" to the battle.

Truthkeeper fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Dec 21, 2019