Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Hopefully the next one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I joined a raid with someone who had a shiny Obstagoon and wow that is one of the more impressive looking shinies, it goes from white and black to entirely red and blue

I still have never seen one ingame since like gen 5

Ugh, normally I don't care about shines but this is great. Also, Obstagoon is kind of a monster. When I get home from work I am going to make a guts/jolly one with fire orb.

Solovey
Mar 24, 2009

motive: secret baby

Araxxor posted:

The only things that are illegal on surprise trade are actually illegal mons that trip the hack checker due to illegal moves or stats or whatever, and anything with a special ribbon (which are event exclusive.) Or anything holding a special item that the game doesn't want you to trade.

this gen* also forbids you from surprise trading anything in your party, which is particularly annoying when i'm on the breeding train and want to send these extra toxels out into the trading void NOW please :argh:

*ofc i might be misremembering the last two gens letting you do this, i can't actually remember if wonder trade even let you look at your party or if it was boxed mons only, but either way, it's still mildly irritating!

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Solovey posted:

this gen* also forbids you from surprise trading anything in your party, which is particularly annoying when i'm on the breeding train and want to send these extra toxels out into the trading void NOW please :argh:

*ofc i might be misremembering the last two gens letting you do this, i can't actually remember if wonder trade even let you look at your party or if it was boxed mons only, but either way, it's still mildly irritating!

I'm pretty sure it did, cause the wonderlocke challenge wouldn't have existed.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Mesadoram posted:

Ugh, normally I don't care about shines but this is great.

:same: It's the only shiny I plan to aim for.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I joined a raid with someone who had a shiny Obstagoon and wow that is one of the more impressive looking shinies, it goes from white and black to entirely red and blue

I still have never seen one ingame since like gen 5

It's pink and light blue and I'll ask you to not show disrespect by calling him red THANK YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Looks very much red and white to me. Eyes are weird man

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Mesadoram posted:

Ugh, normally I don't care about shines but this is great. Also, Obstagoon is kind of a monster. When I get home from work I am going to make a guts/jolly one with fire orb.
Obligatory "fuuuuck you" for having Flame Orb post.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Obligatory "fuuuuck you" for having Flame Orb post.

RNG hates us all :smith:

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007
Since X/Y when they introduced (to me) the ease of breeding goodly IVed Pokemon I have never attained a perfect one. Until now. I hatched a 6 Best IV Skorupi using a 5 IV Ditto that got Secret Traded to me by a stranger.

BillyC
Feb 19, 2013

everythin' under heaven is in utter chaos, cloud

Bread Liar
Same, I've never done any breeding in pokemon before and got two 6 IV eevee's with wish after a full sunday of hatching eggs. Had to use two 4 IV dittos to get there, but wasnt even expecting the first one. Not so lucky with the other species hatches but at least it took less time to get the ones I wanted.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Eimi posted:

I just want to say I hate you guy who said they grinded out about one shiny a day. I'm on loving day 5 of shiny ralts hunting after I randomly got a shiny eevee and I've learned my loving lesson, I'm never doing this poo poo again. And I'm miserable doing this but I've already wasted so much time I have to throw good time after bad. :argh:

If it makes you feel better Indeedee defeated me and made me walk away from my grind for now. Those eggs take forever to hatch even with flame body and that daycare has to be filled with dumpsters upon dumpsters of them at this point.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

yep, gonna be going for a shiny Obstagoon it looks like

does the foreign thing only work with Dittos? I've got a Japanese zigzag sitting around I think

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Epic High Five posted:

yep, gonna be going for a shiny Obstagoon it looks like

does the foreign thing only work with Dittos? I've got a Japanese zigzag sitting around I think

Nah, as long as the parents are from two different regions it works. Doesn't matter which regions- as long as the tag is different when you examine them.

That said I really don't get the love for Shiny Obstagoon personally. I like Zigzagoon, and Linoone is kind of boring but fine, but that teal with the red/pink is just way too eye searing to me. Probably doesn't help that Obstagoons proportions look really hosed up to me anyway.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Competition nicknames so far:

Shiny Dragapult - Pistol Pete
Shiny Obstagoon - Randy Orlando
Toxitricity - Fraggle Rock
Mamoswine - Tusk Tusk

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
If I was so inclined, how would I go about grinding for shinys?

Also, I've caught a few of the gmax Snorlax, how do I tell just how special they are? The stats seem pretty good.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Big McHuge posted:

Also, I've caught a few of the gmax Snorlax, how do I tell just how special they are? The stats seem pretty good.

Complete your pokedex for the shiny charm, then it's just whichever method do you think will keep you the most sane

Masuda Method - You get a foreign pokemon and breed it with one from your language. This makes shiny pokemon a lot more likely- something like 1/516 chance

Hunting - You just get a sick kill count on that pokemon. Each corpse you make the chance rises a little bit higher for the next mon of the same species to be shiny. With the cap to give you the best chance being 500 dead bodies.

It's a very long and boring thing to do so keep that in mind if you try it. I just do it because I have nothing better to do some days and have a backlog of videos to watch so why not.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Big McHuge posted:

The base chance of a pokemon to be shiny is 1/4096. Typically you grind for shinies by breeding them-- you have two ways to increase your chance of a shiny from the base rate. One is to obtain the shiny charm by completing the pokedex, then talking to a guy in the Circhester hotel. The other is to breed the pokemon using parents from two different languages (Masuda method).

With just the shiny charm your chance will be 3/4096. With just Masuda method, it'll be 6/4096. And with both, it will be 8/4096. Do not grind for shinies unless you have both; it's possible but these bonuses are huge.

The easiest way to use the Masuda method is to get a foreign language ditto since you can breed it with any breedable species. Generally when breeding for shinies you'll also want to breed for the correct ability, nature, and IVs-- this is why people try to get a good ditto from a 5* raid that they could trade for a Japanese ditto.

Don't grind for shinies.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Genovera posted:

Don't grind for shinies.

Unless you have a nice long podcast and TV series to watch while you do it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Complete your pokedex for the shiny charm, then it's just whichever method do you think will keep you the most sane

Masuda Method - You get a foreign pokemon and breed it with one from your language. This makes shiny pokemon a lot more likely- something like 1/516 chance

Hunting - You just get a sick kill count on that pokemon. Each corpse you make the chance rises a little bit higher for the next mon of the same species to be shiny. With the cap to give you the best chance being 500 dead bodies.

It's a very long and boring thing to do so keep that in mind if you try it. I just do it because I have nothing better to do some days and have a backlog of videos to watch so why not.

My method is that if I see a shiny I try to catch it.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Sad to report that Teatime + Gmax Replenish is not the tag team dynamo I thought it’d be.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Mesadoram posted:

Unless you have a nice long podcast and TV series to watch while you do it.

That's fair, and I know some people do enjoy it, but the chances are absolutely horrible with the best case of about 0.2% per egg and I don't want anyone to start without being aware of that!

My actual recommendation is to just start breeding competitive versions of your favorite pokemon using a foreign ditto parent, unless there is only one shiny you must have (to be fair shiny obstagoon is rad). That way you'll eventually get a shiny of something you like, but you'll get a variety of good pokemon in the meantime.

Also, if you feel like replaying the game, and you can speak a second language, playing in that language on a second account is a great way to get stuff to use for the Masuda method. You'd just need someone to help you trade with yourself (and Nintendo Online access for both accounts if your helper isn't local-- I use a family plan anyway so that isn't an issue).

The Splash
May 30, 2011

I'll never say hole again.

Genovera posted:

Don't grind for shinies.
I hatched a shiny Scorbunny without trying so I thought I could Masuda Method the next one. Can't get that time back. Sending out all of the failed eggs on Surprise Trade is fun (Goomy for all) but not worth the time wasted getting nothing.

Also, the shiny starters this Gen look... weird.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The Splash posted:

I hatched a shiny Scorbunny without trying so I thought I could Masuda Method the next one. Can't get that time back. Sending out all of the failed eggs on Surprise Trade is fun (Goomy for all) but not worth the time wasted getting nothing.

I don't like Grookey's all that much but I like Raboot and Cinderace, and Inteleons looks better in motion. I kinda like it.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

The Splash posted:

Wonder trade is fun but it's also even more time spent. If I could just queue up mass wonder trades and didn't have to watch the slow rear end animation or mass a like five times whenever I set up a new one I'd do it more but wonder trading fell by the wayside for me. Also because for me it turned into a "can I get something in a moon ball if no release it"

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Anybody want a perfect bisharp? I just caught one with her hidden ability and an adamant nature. I already bred a perfect one for myself ages ago so if anybody wants her feel free.

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

i usually hatch eggs while im on my commute (half-an-hour each way) and so far the shinies ive hatched are three HA mawiles, a feebas and a mimikyu. i dont use a foreign ditto, some dude in china or japan would surprise trade me a 5IV something or the other that i can use instead (JPN eevee with my mawile, CHT dreepy with my feebas and mimikyu). though im having trouble with my HA hatenna, she doesnt seem to play nice with anyone...

anyways does anybody have a srappy breedject farfetchd they can send my way, i want a gold duck knight

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Smiles posted:

i dont use a foreign ditto, some dude in china or japan would surprise trade me a 5IV something or the other that i can use instead (JPN eevee with my mawile, CHT dreepy with my feebas and mimikyu). though im having trouble with my HA hatenna, she doesnt seem to play nice with anyone...
Hatenna's Fairy egg group, so that's Pikachu, Clefairy, Togetic, Mawile, Roselia, Cherubi, Froslass, Cottonee, Swirlix, Spiritzee, Cutiefly, Impidimp, Milcery, Falinks, Morpeko, and Indeedee.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Probably not Froslass or Milcrey and Alcremie because those are also female only while Falinks is genderless.

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

she didnt like my super cool 6IV HA boy mawile so i guess i need to wrangle up a good grimmsnarl maybe

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Zuzie posted:

Probably not Froslass or Milcrey and Alcremie because those are also female only while Falinks is genderless.
I just listed off the entire bulbapedia page, I'm too lazy to use my brain! (seriously though eggs shouldn't be gender locked it's 2019 come on Japan)

edit: if the message is something like "They don't seem to like each other very much, though." that still produces eggs! The one to watch out for is along the lines of "they prefer to play with other Pokemon rather than with each other" if you're not using a ditto for some reason.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

I didn't know Flame Orbs were in such high demand, I've just been selling the extras I get. Once my NN is up and running again I'll happily trade the extra I'm currently holding for something fashionable.

When are they gonna bring back the Safari Ball ala Beast Ball and Dream Ball, and what might its new effect be?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I got wondersurprise traded something in a beast ball, though I have no idea how.

If this is impossible, I'll go back and check again later.

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

edit: if the message is something like "They don't seem to like each other very much, though." that still produces eggs! The one to watch out for is along the lines of "they prefer to play with other Pokemon rather than with each other" if you're not using a ditto for some reason.

oh nice thanks for the tip. yeah that was the line. guess therell be a ton of 5IV magic bounce hattenas in surprise trade soon

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Beachcomber posted:

I got wondersurprise traded something in a beast ball, though I have no idea how.

If this is impossible, I'll go back and check again later.

You get a free Beast Ball once you've beaten the game. The guy who sells stuff in Stow on Side has it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Beachcomber posted:

I hate hate hate this catch level cap. It's asinine.

Also, how many Gens until the Rotoms take over completely?

I'd rather they drop the max level of the Wild Area, or just gate some spots, than have high level stuff you can't catch.

I took that goddamn level 34 Pangoro to 1hp and paralyzed using a team of level 16-17 mons all for nothing because of it. It's not like they try to make the story challenging so why do they care if I want to spent a dozen hours in the Wild Area catching my way up to level 60 mons before the first gym. :argh:

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Genovera posted:

I don't actually do much competitive stuff but I'm a weirdo who really likes doing breeding projects. Here's what I know about breeding good pokemon:

Just wanted to say thanks for this, I took notes and within 2 days finished my first project (Raltses, I am up to my eyeballs in 5 IV and have a few 6 IV pairs with HA). Next project: punch Golurk

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Decided to do a fire-themed team for the new game and run nothing but new 'mons! Without looking at the list first, of course.

Well that was a drat mistake. Guess there aren't many new ones. Cinderace, Centiskorch, and Coalossal are it for awhile. I've rounded out the team in the early game with Arcanine and Salazzle. I may eventually snag a Rotom. I guess I could use Flareon, or an off-type that uses Fire moves.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
What's the easiest way to get a Hitmontop? i've evolved about 30 tyrogue's with no luck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

bowmore posted:

What's the easiest way to get a Hitmontop? i've evolved about 30 tyrogue's with no luck

Raids.

But Save before you candy it up to 20, see which stat is higher, reset and feed it a few vitamins to balance out the stats.

Then beryr the stat down to properly EV train it.