Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Are there any major new (as in, not a re-release, not part of a series) well made high-crunch TTRPGs even being produced these days? All the major flagship standbys are coming up on almost 10 revisions apeice, and all I'm reading is that there's no clear idea as to how to shepherd the game into the kind of experience people want?
The Fragged (Empire, Aeternum, Kingdoms) games are...moderately crunchy? Like, weapons tables with properties, etc. And those are pretty new and seem to do pretty well on their Kickstarters.

But otherwise yeah, it's the province of heartbreakers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

NMage is still pretty crunchy, it’s just that it’s an engine used to build free form effects, like Ars Magicka. And Chronicles in general seems to be sliding towards more rather than less crunch? Promethean, for example, and Demon.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Are there any major new (as in, not a re-release, not part of a series) well made high-crunch TTRPGs even being produced these days? All the major flagship standbys are coming up on almost 10 revisions apeice, and all I'm reading is that there's no clear idea as to how to shepherd the game into the kind of experience people want?

I guess I just don't see a demand for more high crunch games? Especially ones where you have to stack multiple, nuanced powers?

WoD/ChronD went from having nine attributes to three. The 20th rereleases just bundled up the best stuff and tried to make it less stupidly complex. D&D went from 3.5 to "Dungeoncrawl: The Boardgame" to whatever 5 is, I haven't followed it much. Warhammer is getting its lunch ate by the Actually Good Tabletop Minis games, which I understand tend to be less granular and crunchy. Pathfinder. I'm not seeing the wide public adoration of crunchy games, honestly.

CofD never went from having nine Attributes to three? Tabletop WoD didn't either. Maybe the LARP rules did, and I vaguely recall there might have been a V5 tabletop playtest that had three(?), but it ended up with nine.

Exalted of any currently existing stripe is too much crunch for my tastes these days, but I still understand the appeal. Some folks like character creation becoming a kind of little happy shopping spree, and there's satisfaction in having put a bunch of pieces together and getting a particular playstyle out of the result. Deviant: the Renegades runs in one direction, with an involved character creation system of customizing and reskinning Variations, which then becomes pretty straightforward in play, because while the list of available Variations is pretty big and wide, any individual character won't have too many of them. I had fun in a game of Panic at the Dojo which ran in the other direction, where character creation is a small handful of choices to make, but the result is an interconnected set of abilities that you really think about how to deploy effectively during play.

Sometimes you want the rules to get out of the way so you can describe what your guy does. Sometimes you want the game to be, well, a game in itself to enjoy. Sometimes you want something in the middle.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
This crunch and gross sex powers discussion is good and cool, but I'd like to remind everyone that we have a thread for Exalted. Don't make me start mage chat.

I've also added a few quotes from those of you who have played Coteries to the OP.

EDIT: Anyone who kickstarted and read the rules want to do a write up on Mummy 2E?

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Dec 13, 2019

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
panic at the dojo oh my lord that's a good name

I Am Just a Box posted:

CofD never went from having nine Attributes to three? Tabletop WoD didn't either. Maybe the LARP rules did, and I vaguely recall there might have been a V5 tabletop playtest that had three(?), but it ended up with nine.

Exalted of any currently existing stripe is too much crunch for my tastes these days, but I still understand the appeal. Some folks like character creation becoming a kind of little happy shopping spree, and there's satisfaction in having put a bunch of pieces together and getting a particular playstyle out of the result. Deviant: the Renegades runs in one direction, with an involved character creation system of customizing and reskinning Variations, which then becomes pretty straightforward in play, because while the list of available Variations is pretty big and wide, any individual character won't have too many of them. I had fun in a game of Panic at the Dojo which ran in the other direction, where character creation is a small handful of choices to make, but the result is an interconnected set of abilities that you really think about how to deploy effectively during play.

Sometimes you want the rules to get out of the way so you can describe what your guy does. Sometimes you want the game to be, well, a game in itself to enjoy. Sometimes you want something in the middle.

Sorry, I was thinking of the jump from chrond to 5E.

And y'all make some good points with Mage's freeform effects and the new styles of character design. When I was thinking of crunch, I was thinking of pages and pages of spells/charms/feats/extremely niche reference charts, which is all probably better described under the banner of "bloat."

I'm very interested in Panic at the Dojo's character creation system, it was always aggrivating trying to design a character in Wod/ChronD where you pick your skills, then your magic woobly powers, then you go back to change your skills to support the cool woobly powers because you don't know what skills are going to impact what abilities.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

Soonmot posted:

EDIT: Anyone who kickstarted and read the rules want to do a write up on Mummy 2E?

Short version:
  • It went in a thematically confused, detail-cluttered game with a focus around rising from death and falling dead again but little advice on how to fit that focus into a party of multiple player characters, and it came out a thematically confused, detail-cluttered game with a focus on etc.
  • It doesn't do the whole Mummy 1E "Storyteller's Wall" thing of hiding setting information from both players and readers who haven't bought whatever future supplements hide future revelations. This is a good change for sure but doesn't make up for the game's various other weaknesses.
  • It feels a lot like a game built by and for CofD lore nerds rather than game thematics. There's an expansion on what the Duat is like and what dwells there, including shades (seemingly some aspect or cast-off of departed souls awaiting judgment?) and fiends (demonic beings that live in constant pain and exist to lash out and pain others). This is neat but really not that immediately relevant. There's an associated lesser template like how Changeling had the new Fae-Touched and Geist had playable ghosts, and this time it's Immortals. Not immortals in general, but the specific types of immortal from World of Darkness: Immortals, like Blood Bathers and Body Thieves. The new central conceit is that when a mummy dies in one time and then rises in another time, the process doesn't obey linear time, so you can from your perspective die in World War II and wake up next in 700 BCE. Except it's not really central at all, and not particularly integrated into all the stuff that was already there.
  • It's even more cluttered than before, actually. I've noticed nothing of note that has been dropped, despite some concepts being kept and constantly referenced without actually being defined or explained this time (the sahu). The above Immortals don't get their own appendix like in other 2e cores, but get fit into the middle of the Storytelling System rules chapter, right next to the other preexisting supporting-cast mummy template (sadikh) and the new supporting-cast character type (invested mortals and sorcerers). Amkhata, Mummy's preexisting unique ephemeral entities, are introduced and fully explained before the section on how ephemeral entities work. Fiends are another type of ephemeral entity, but their rules don't come until two chapters later, under Creating Timeless Tales. There are rules for what happens to a character between full Descents, and they're really fiddly and drawn out and I can't imagine using them at the table without grinding everything to a halt. There's little rhyme or reason as to what concept is described or explained where.
  • The preview manuscript had shifting target number magic, but it was received poorly and the developer actually said he's going to take that out and replace it with Werewolf 2e's Advanced Actions for blessings and a negative counterpart for curses. So I guess that's nice.

I Am Just a Box fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Dec 13, 2019

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

GURPS exists my man. I would posit that the system literally called the Storyteller system, whose flagship game is 'a tale of personal horror' is literally antithetical to a high-crunch system

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Sorry, I was thinking of the jump from chrond to 5E.

WoD and CofD are two separate sets of games, so the jump to 5E would be from 20th Anniversary WoD. But 5E still has nine Attributes.

Shrecknet posted:

GURPS exists my man. I would posit that the system literally called the Storyteller system, whose flagship game is 'a tale of personal horror' is literally antithetical to a high-crunch system

You would be wrong, historically these games have at least been pretty moderately crunchy.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Shrecknet posted:

The problem is that the Storyteller system pitches itself as being low-crunch and then goes into loving, breathless detail of all the combat actions you can take, the modifiers from each weapon and how they interact with your various to-hit (and defense), damage (from applying it to soaking it to bashing/lethal/agg, to implementations of armor), and depending on your game set, whether there's a variable or static target number, 9-again, 8-again, etc.

The Storyteller system being rules-lite is charitably a nice plan that doesn't survive contact with the enemy (of playing the game), and uncharitably a branding exercise.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
It's Rules-Medium.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Something can be really crunchy without being combat-oriented. Chronicles games are pretty combat-ready, but (for example) having an elaborate system for constructing spells in NMage is not a combat subsystem but is absolutely the crunchiest part of the game. Combat math for Mage is way less involved than elaborate ritual wizard math.

And I think in general one of the great, if mixed, successes of the Chronicles line is constructing crunchy mechanical frameworks that push games towards themes and styles of play while still being more or less character-decision-driven rather than authorial on the players' parts (with some exceptions; getting EXP for bad things happening to you means there's an extra-diegetic pressure to make bad decisions that works out well for keeping things active and interesting).

Non-combat crunch can be a real joy.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Ars Magica is all about that non-combat crunch.

And I'll never get to play it. :smith:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

MonsieurChoc posted:

Ars Magica is all about that non-combat crunch.

And I'll never get to play it. :smith:

:smith: Extremely same.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The trick to playing Ars Magica is being the GM and offering to walk players through chargen.

e: hell, i'm always willing to walk players through chargen for it even when i'm not the gm

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Didn't the original Ars Magica actually predate the World of Darkness and Mage? As in, it was one of the first games some of the people who became WW developed?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
That was my understanding, with the Hermetic houses, including the tremere.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Night10194 posted:

Didn't the original Ars Magica actually predate the World of Darkness and Mage? As in, it was one of the first games some of the people who became WW developed?

Yes, but early Ars Magica is...rough. It didn't take its current focus on actual historic accuracy until...somewhere shortly before 4th edition. I don't like 3rd but some of its stuff is well researched.

e: but yeah original Ars Magica was Mark Rein*Hagen, Jonathan Tweet and Lisa Stevens.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

My big stumbling block to Ars Magica is that, while it is indeed the perfect game, it requires a really huge amount of buy in from your group. Much more so than most games do.

The corebook is also pretty dry compared to the source books, on account of all the rules. So many rules. The system is actually very simple, but the huge amount of additions to rolls makes the formulas look way more scary than they actually are.

House Tytalus forever frankly. I managed to sell one player on the game by describing Darth Sidious as a very easy Tytalus character concept.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

House Tytalus: The secret to power is withstanding abusive childhood and then organizing spy rings in an effort to encourage the rise of medieval anarchism.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It's funny to see that Ars Magica was a big inspiration for Dominions, because I've often felt the World of Darkness feels like the aftermath of a Dominions game. Some Colossal Stone Head rear end in a top hat became Pantokrator and now we've got a God Machine.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Mors Rattus posted:

House Tytalus: The secret to power is withstanding abusive childhood and then organizing spy rings in an effort to encourage the rise of medieval anarchism.

My god, we've transcended standard Mage chat :aaaaa:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

If you want to get into the wild poo poo, House Criamon is amazing.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

House Criamon: The secret to power is that we are all imprisoned in an eternal time loop due to one rear end in a top hat's decision to invent cannibalism. Break the prison of time! Free all existence from the tyranny of suffering! ATTICA! ATTICA!

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Ugh, this is making me want to reread all my Ars Magica books and try to slap a campaign together again.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I can do this for literally any house and several other orgs.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Kurieg posted:

Legit question for rural vampires- how do I kill the 30-50 feral lupines that raid my Haven within 3-5 mins while my Childer perform rituals to my magnificence?

Uh you don't

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
House Tremere: In any decently-organized civilization it would be madness to put us in charge, but this is medieval Europe so we're probably the best option.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I'm a big fan of Hosue Ex Miscellenea. Us weirdoes gotta stick together.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
It would be amazing to play Ars Magica, but it’s hard enough to find people to play an Awakening game, I don’t know enough people with the amount of reading time to make AM even an option.

If I did, I would definitely buy those books and read them. Until then it would just work it’s way into my brain much like Shadowrun did in the early 00’s where it became a perfect game in my head that I have still never gotten to play. Now there is no game that could ever live up to my imagination.

I’ll just stick to occasionally throwing cyberpunk stuff into my Awakening game.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

aside: Shadowrun: Anarchy is the perfect Shadowrun game, because it throws out most of the cruft and only commits a few sins of hand-waving abstraction. I really like it as a pick-up-and-play RPG, there's about 50 pages of pregens that are actually cool and fun with story hooks instead of just the DM's home game PCs.

I still think Fiasco! is the better "non-gamer but a creative type" RPG, but drat if Shadowrun:Anarchy doesn't hit every note you'd want a game to hit to convince people RPGs are cool

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Jhet posted:

It would be amazing to play Ars Magica, but it’s hard enough to find people to play an Awakening game, I don’t know enough people with the amount of reading time to make AM even an option.

If I did, I would definitely buy those books and read them. Until then it would just work it’s way into my brain much like Shadowrun did in the early 00’s where it became a perfect game in my head that I have still never gotten to play. Now there is no game that could ever live up to my imagination.

I’ll just stick to occasionally throwing cyberpunk stuff into my Awakening game.

Ars Magica is one of the reasons I have never really gotten on well with any version of Mage. Obviously the settings are really different, but the Ars Magica system is a lot simpler while also allowing you to do whatever you can imagine. I think the granularity of having 10 nouns and 5 verbs makes it very clear as to what you can do.

Mage the Awakening is a huge improvement over Ascension in terms of structure for sure. The addition of Atlantis as the thing relating everyone together as opposed to 9 random groupings of people that happen to be wizards.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Shrecknet posted:

aside: Shadowrun: Anarchy is the perfect Shadowrun game, because it throws out most of the cruft and only commits a few sins of hand-waving abstraction. I really like it as a pick-up-and-play RPG, there's about 50 pages of pregens that are actually cool and fun with story hooks instead of just the DM's home game PCs.

I still think Fiasco! is the better "non-gamer but a creative type" RPG, but drat if Shadowrun:Anarchy doesn't hit every note you'd want a game to hit to convince people RPGs are cool
Shadowrun Anarchy is pretty hosed up though. The pregens are mostly built under old versions of the rules so have various errors, the Cue system is poorly implemented and most people just drop it, it doesn't have enough background in it for it to be your first shadowrun purchase, the story points are implemented oddly, and a bunch of other issues. I wanted to like it but like most stuff Catalyst does it needed a good editor and another couple months of writing.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

http://theonyxpath.com/v5-cults-of-the-blood-gods-coming-soon-to-kickstarter/

This sounds great and I'll probably Kickstart this. Also apparently Fall of London is out soon but meh.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

neaden posted:

Shadowrun Anarchy is pretty hosed up though. The pregens are mostly built under old versions of the rules so have various errors, the Cue system is poorly implemented and most people just drop it, it doesn't have enough background in it for it to be your first shadowrun purchase, the story points are implemented oddly, and a bunch of other issues. I wanted to like it but like most stuff Catalyst does it needed a good editor and another couple months of writing.
Yeah, Shadowrun Anarchy reads like most of the team thought the mission briefing was "Rules Light-to-Medium take on Shadowrun but still a basically traditional tabletop RPG", but whoever wrote the Cue system bits thought the brief was "Make a storygame in the Shadowrun setting" - and, worse, hadn't actually read any indie RPGs/storygames and so based it off of their second-hand preconceptions about what those games are like. The first thing anyone does with it, so far as I can tell, is flat-out ignore the storygame bits and just run it as a traditional GM-and-players RPG.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Shrecknet posted:

Shadowrun: Anarchy is an inconsistent, very incomplete, and largely unedited/tested game that is essentially baby's first attempt at writing a "rules lite" Shadowrun by someone with very limited exposure to RPGs outside of SR and D&D-esque RPGs

it reads like a partially-written fan-made SR heartbreaker that you'd find in a google docs folder, but sold for full price as a complete product

it its favor I will say it has some genuinely good ideas, is a definite step in the right direction for SR, is indeed playable & represents a reasonable jumping off point for bashing your own SR heartbreaker together, and is unambiguously loads better than SR 6e (which is admittedly one of the most damning-with-faint-praise statements in tabletop gaming)

LGD fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Dec 13, 2019

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Somebody was asking for confirmation for this a while back:

https://twitter.com/JCVIM/status/1205554300958543872

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

I guess I just don't see a demand for more high crunch games? Especially ones where you have to stack multiple, nuanced powers?

WoD/ChronD went from having nine attributes to three. The 20th rereleases just bundled up the best stuff and tried to make it less stupidly complex. D&D went from 3.5 to "Dungeoncrawl: The Boardgame" to whatever 5 is, I haven't followed it much. Warhammer is getting its lunch ate by the Actually Good Tabletop Minis games, which I understand tend to be less granular and crunchy. Pathfinder. I'm not seeing the wide public adoration of crunchy games, honestly.

Maybe this is just because it's been my experience that the only purpose crunch serves is to allow pedants to argue for longer as to why they actually won, despite what the dice and GM says. If there's crunch which isn't designed to slow down the game, I haven't experienced it.

Curious for other takes on this. My handful of Exalted games resulted in me making a lunar poison octopus-shifter who had enough attacks that I just, ended combat? I don't think I even had any attack-specific charms. I didn't have time to read the book to figure out where sick synergies are. I don't think most gamers do, anymore?

I give you JAGS, AKA Just Another Gaming System. Bonus the .pdfs are free.

MoonKnight
Jul 14, 2018
Fall of London Chronicle drops for preorder and PDF on December 17th, per Modiphius' release calendar.
https://www.modiphius.com/release-schedule-test.html

For those who might want that link.

MoonKnight fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Dec 14, 2019

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Dawgstar posted:

Somebody was asking for confirmation for this a while back:

https://twitter.com/JCVIM/status/1205554300958543872

gently caress yes. This is actually a really fun show to watch.

There's been a whole bunch of spin offs from other groups (Including at least one from the guy who plays Victor.) trying to pick up on the popularity of it but they don't have that professional look that helps sell it as more than just a bunch of badly done streams by super nerds.

The Penny Arcade one in particular is atrocious in its production values. This is despite Jason Carl also being the GM for that one and doing his damnedest to try and make it work in spite of the lovely mics making it a pain to listen too and the PA folks being...Well, the PA folks. :stonk:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Dec 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Archonex posted:

The Penny Arcade one in particular is atrocious in its production values. This is despite Jason Carl also being the GM for that one and doing his damnedest to try and make it work in spite of the lovely mics making it a pain to listen too and the PA folks being...Well, the PA folks. :stonk:

You absolutely can do a comedy RPG stream, but comedy is hard and honestly I think the best choice for at the least a watchable RPG show is just to make the buy in and play it straight. Even if LA By Night has some things to raise an eyebrow at, stuff like Erika Ishii's character coping with her new un-life really sells it.