Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Didn’t republicans want to cut out quickly to get to a party at the White House? I’m surprised this is still going because one thing republicans love more then loving everyone over is loving themselves up on taxpayer dime

Edit for cat tax: this cat gets it https://twitter.com/bodegacats_/status/1204015168965038081

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
chabot talking about the 70s

holy poo poo who cares

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Collins is such a loving moron. Gaetz getting dunked on super hard was worth having this poo poo on in the background while I was working today. Had to give it a break though, anything interesting in the last hour or two?

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
nah this poo poo is a marathon, def take breaks. i worked and took a nap and ate meals and poo poo.

hoping we get the vote soon but i dunno

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

StrangersInTheNight posted:

nah this poo poo is a marathon, def take breaks. i worked and took a nap and ate meals and poo poo.

hoping we get the vote soon but i dunno

yeah so judiciary's vote should be very soon (relatively speaking), and then i think the final vote in the House will be like next wednesday

Violator
May 15, 2003

Wait, Republicans are still talking bullshit? It’s like 9pm and they’ve been going all day?!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Violator posted:

Wait, Republicans are still talking bullshit? It’s like 9pm and they’ve been going all day?!

yep.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Hi I hope every republican on this committee gets hit by a bus

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

Mitch stating fully -The senate will be coordinating with the white house and will only call witnesses the white house council approves.-

Republicans feel they only have been rewarded for brazen corruption, so this is the natural conclusion of that trend.

https://twitter.com/acyn/status/1205311801212190727

https://www.politicususa.com/2019/12/12/trump-mcconnell-plotting-to-have-senate-trial-without-single-witness.html

LegendaryFrog fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Dec 13, 2019

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

oxsnard posted:

Hi I hope every republican on this committee gets hit by a bus

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

LegendaryFrog posted:

Mitch stating fully -The senate will be coordinating with the white house and will only call witnesses the white house council approves.-

Republicans feel they only have been rewarded for brazen corruption, so this is the natural conclusion of that trend.

https://www.politicususa.com/2019/12/12/trump-mcconnell-plotting-to-have-senate-trial-without-single-witness.html

Good lord

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

LegendaryFrog posted:

i feel like this will go very very bad for them. like if mitch is just gonna do a loving show trial and let trump make it about biden than he is loving fool.

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i feel like this will go very very bad for them. like if mitch is just gonna do a loving show trial and let trump make it about biden than he is loving fool.

The question is: is there even one time that Republicans have faced negative consequences for taking the stance of “yes I will lie, cheat, and steal, but I will do it for OUR team!”?

It is what their voting base demands. Republicans celebrate and cheer every time Mitch brags about stealing the supreme court seat for exclusively partisan reasons, as just one example.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
IMO: it's a game of chicken right now. Republicans are making a last desperate shot to try to bully Democrats into giving up because they know they don't have the majority needed to only allow Trump's "witnesses." McConnell wouldn't be claiming this if the actual feasible plan was to do this

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

LegendaryFrog posted:

The question is: is there even one time that Republicans have faced negative consequences for taking the stance of “yes I will lie, cheat, and steal, but I will do it for OUR team!”

It is what their voting base demands.

sure but the last 2 elections must have broken through somewhat. they have to get that the country isnt just chuds.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Dapper_Swindler posted:

sure but the last 2 elections must have broken through somewhat. they have to get that the country isnt just chuds.

They don't care about anyone that isn't, my friend.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Meridian posted:

They don't care about anyone that isn't, my friend.

i mean sure but they are walking right into the loving bear traps. i mean i am happy about that but christ, how do they not see that they are cutting their own throats.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

They're all-in on Trump forever. Everyone who increasingly nervously says "surely THIS will be the thing that makes Mitch cut Trump loose" is deluding themselves. There is no bottom and there never has been. There is not a goddamn thing outside the realm of possibility at this point that Mitch McConnell won't do to protect Donald Trump from even the lightest feather tap of punishment. And it breaks my loving brain that there's STILL people who don't get that.

Oh and he's gonna get away with it too.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean sure but they are walking right into the loving bear traps. i mean i am happy about that but christ, how do they not see that they are cutting their own throats.

I'm having a really hard time not being extremely cynical about it, and I don't want to get dramatic, but I think the strategy is just to wear people down and ultimately discourage voter turn out. Between that, gerrymandering, stacking the judiciary, it is going to take a lot to try to fix this.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
it's almost 11pm and these people are still going goddaaaaaaaaamn

anyway while i hope we dont get trump 2020 and will go forward with hope, i'm also preparing for the worst and wondering if the only real thing protecting us from Trump 4 lyfe is the 22nd amendment; only 5 more years at least makes it more bearable but geez.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Dec 13, 2019

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
So Mitch approves all witnesses from both sides?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

They're all-in on Trump forever. Everyone who increasingly nervously says "surely THIS will be the thing that makes Mitch cut Trump loose" is deluding themselves. There is no bottom and there never has been. There is not a goddamn thing outside the realm of possibility at this point that Mitch McConnell won't do to protect Donald Trump from even the lightest feather tap of punishment. And it breaks my loving brain that there's STILL people who don't get that.

Oh and he's gonna get away with it too.

i know mitch will do anything for that loving parasite and he will get aquited. i am just saying i think trump will lose and we might get the senate. the last 2 elections give me some hope and it doesn't help that the GOP has decided to go all in on just blowing the core chud base.

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Per Mitch himself, plan A is to call no witnesses at all. If Trump whines enough and isn’t satisfied, only then will the Senate Republicans coordinate with the White House to exclusively call the witnesses Trump wants called.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

LegendaryFrog posted:

Per Mitch himself, plan A is to call no witnesses at all. If Trump whines enough and isn’t satisfied, only then will the Senate Republicans coordinate with the White House to exclusively call the witnesses Trump wants called.

yeah. they will work with trump to call his witnesses. i don't think he can stop the houses witnesses than though.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Mitch approves whatever witnesses the White House approves.

I'm not sure how the rules work, but the House acts as prosecutors, and should be able to call their own witnesses .

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i know mitch will do anything for that loving parasite and he will get aquited. i am just saying i think trump will lose and we might get the senate. the last 2 elections give me some hope and it doesn't help that the GOP has decided to go all in on just blowing the core chud base.

To get the senate, you are assuming voters in states like Arizona and North Carolina are going to be turned off by that appeal to the chud base.

That the Senate is in play at all already is a lucky fluke that benefited greatly from Trump depressing turnout in 2018, but it is still pretty low odds that Democrats are going to sweep the red states they need to recapture the Senate. The makeup of the 50 states are the perpetual republican gerrymander.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Deteriorata posted:

I'm not sure how the rules work, but the House acts as prosecutors, and should be able to call their own witnesses .

no, the house follows whatever procedures the senate votes on. The existing procedures used for clinton work like a trial. Mitch is doing this poo poo because he doesn't have enough republicans who will rubber stamp dismissal.

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

Deteriorata posted:

Which witnesses are called is determined by simple majority vote. So no, the House will not be calling any witnesses that 51 senators don’t approve.

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

oxsnard posted:

no, the house follows whatever procedures the senate votes on. The existing procedures used for clinton work like a trial. Mitch is doing this poo poo because he doesn't have enough republicans who will rubber stamp dismissal.

I disagree. I think Mitch and Trump have full republican support for a no witness show trial. It is the least dangerous option for people like McSalley and Collins. What he doesn’t have the votes for is the looney tunes “let’s call Biden to the stage” conspiracy “let’s read Q drops to the public” trial Trump wants.

LegendaryFrog fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Dec 13, 2019

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

LegendaryFrog posted:

I disagree. I think Mitch and Trump have full republican support for a no witness show trial. It is the least dangerous option for people like McSalley and Collins. What he doesn’t have the votes for is the looney tunes “let’s call Biden to the stage” conspiracy “let’s read Q drops to the public” trial Trump wants.

Haha, just you wait...

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

LegendaryFrog posted:

i think they may very well end up there though.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
FIGHT
FIGHT
FIGHT

\/\/\/ They took a vote on a procedural thing and then Nadler said it's too loving late, we'll have the judiciary vote at 10am tomorrow.

Repubs not happy, Collins yelled NO DISCUSSION WITH THE MINORITY and someone called it Stalinist

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Dec 13, 2019

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

StrangersInTheNight posted:

FIGHT
FIGHT
FIGHT

what they doing now?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
I think we can all agree that Stalin's greatest crimes involved scheduling meetings inconveniently.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
what do you think collins had at 10am that will gently caress up his life so much?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1205342040369848322

THIS IS LITERALLY SENDING US TO THE GULAGS

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

We need some sleep = Stalinesque.

What a pile of whiny assholes.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Yep the plan was to go all night and force the Dems to push into next week. Something is up. If Mitch actually had it all worked out like he claims they wouldn't be doing this

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

oxsnard posted:

Yep the plan was to go all night and force the Dems to push into next week. Something is up. If Mitch actually had it all worked out like he claims they wouldn't be doing this

lol if you're assuming that these people are performing according to some kind of plan and not just all acting like idiots, i don't know what show you've been watching

(and they can't keep this going indefinitely, the rules don't allow it, filibustering doesn't exist in the house)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Why can't the committee just tell the stallers to shut up and accuse them of obstruction?