Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
You'll hear it in old timey english too sometimes. "The riders were four and twenty" or something along those lines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Milo and POTUS posted:

You'll hear it in old timey english too sometimes. "The riders were four and twenty" or something along those lines

Four score and seven years ago...

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Ooooooooooh.

.... oohhhhh.

THAT was that strange little thing in GoT books. I was never able to put my finger on it.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

What I find most interesting about this is that the concept of counting by twenties isn't a uniquely French thing and the Danes even did it more by refusing to come up with unique names for 50 and 60 as well as the 70/80/90 that French skipped.

Out of curiosity, how do 15/16/17/18/19 work in Danish? I feel like it has to be significant that French counting stops coming up with unique names at both 17 (dix sept = "ten seven") and 70 (soixante dix = "sixty ten").

elleve, tolv, tretten, fjorten, femten, seksten, sytten, atten, nitten, tyve, apparently.

The numbers up to twenty are very similar in all Germanic languages, as far as I can tell.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I think my favorite thing about the German language is that they often just don't bother coming up with new words if they don't have to. You see this in places like their word for "pet." It's just "Haustier" which literally is "house animal." That's it. It's an animal you keep in your house. No need to over complicate it. Don't come up with a new noun, just grab a few off the shelf and staple them together. Done.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I think my favorite thing about the German language is that they often just don't bother coming up with new words if they don't have to. You see this in places like their word for "pet." It's just "Haustier" which literally is "house animal." That's it. It's an animal you keep in your house. No need to over complicate it. Don't come up with a new noun, just grab a few off the shelf and staple them together. Done.

Reminds me of the board game Agricola, which is about being a subsistence farmer in some very vaguely-defined Middle Ages-ish period. You need to feed your family regularly, and one of the primary sources of food is animals. Animals need to be kept on the farm though (unless you march them straight into your oven). Aside from pastures and stables that you can build, you can keep one animal in the house you start with. Don't get attached.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Much unlike pet, a completely new word totally unrelated to what a person might do or think of doing to an animal that lives in their home

(also why do the germans need to invent so many five-word-long new "words" when one word in context will do?)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Much unlike pet, a completely new word totally unrelated to what a person might do or think of doing to an animal that lives in their home

The noun is attested before the verb though.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Jerry Cotton posted:

The noun is attested before the verb though.

Must've been invented then and not a word in common use by germans or celts or whoever lived on goof island before them then

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Must've been invented then and not a word in common use by germans or celts or whoever lived on goof island before them then

This doesn't mean anything and I'm not going to Google it because, you know, you can do it yourself but wanna bet the noun is attested before the verb in those languages too and the verb is an English invention?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Jerry Cotton posted:

This doesn't mean anything and I'm not going to Google it because, you know, you can do it yourself but wanna bet the noun is attested before the verb in those languages too and the verb is an English invention?

point is almost no words are inventions of anyone unless it's a deliberate nationalist thing like ordinateur and parc de stationnement instead of computer and parking

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

OK bill bryson.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I'm sorry if I'm being a nonsensical rear end in a top hat, certain words or foods or other things people get cultural about being called "invented" and "fake" and so on really grinds my gears and so on just because of how I grew up.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
Did you know that the term "grinding someone's gears" derives from the width of two roman horse asses?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Reminds me of the board game Agricola, which is about being a subsistence farmer in some very vaguely-defined Middle Ages-ish period.

And here I was hoping it was about making refreshing carbonated beverages for farmers.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The norwegian word for "pet" is "kjæledyr" which means "cuddle animal".

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
Another translation of 'kjæle' is 'pet'. I learned this while googling to make that exact post yesterday and then I felt a little stupid.

joxxuh
May 20, 2011

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Fun fact: Julius Caesar was only Ceasar for two years, therefore all of the Asterix books take place at a loving breakneck pace

Taking a long time and several books to go through a short time period is actually the very opposite of breakneck speed.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
One of the Spanish words for pet is "mascota" :3:

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Alhazred posted:

The norwegian word for "pet" is "kjæledyr" which means "cuddle animal".

The German word for "cuddle animal" on the other hand is "Kuscheltier" and refers exclusively to stuffed toy animals :v:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

System Metternich posted:

The German word for "cuddle animal" on the other hand is "Kuscheltier" and refers exclusively to stuffed toy animals :v:

"Cuddle animal" can also mean stuffed toy animal in Norwegian.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

System Metternich posted:

There used to be a toy store in Stuttgart with a section called the Kuscheltierpark. The tigers sat in little fake trees, the polar bears, seals, and penguins in a recreation of polar ice flows, etc. Super cute, you could go right up to the stuffed animal you wanted and give it a try. Store's history now, Amazon ate their lunch. Still have the floppy puppy my parents got from there, his little leather nose and paw pads lovingly repaired by my late Oma with scraps from old gloves.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
Vet important that "pet" here is a verb, so a more accurate translation of kjæledyr would be "petting animal".

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

In Icelandic pets are ,,gæludýr" roughly "cuddle animals" while livestock is ,,húsdýr" or "house animals" and stuffed animals are ,,tuskudýr" literally "rag animals"

Side note:
Predators are "robbery animals"

canis minor
May 4, 2011

canyoneer posted:

One of the Spanish words for pet is "mascota" :3:

In Polish maskotka is a small toy of sentimental value, most often a plush animal.

On separate nota - masz kotka literally translates to "you have a cat", but I doubt if two are related.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The original ancient meaning of "crocodile" basically means "stoneserpent" being a combination of krokè or "pebbles" and drilos which means "worm" however drilos, as far as the sources we have go, is seemingly exclusively used as a euphemism for male genitalia which means a more accurate translation could be "stonedick" alternatively; rockschlong, graveldilz, pebblecock, etc.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Meanwhile alligator is just an anglicization of El Lagarto (The Lizard)

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Alligators rule. They're like the happy cows of the crocodilians. Just the sweetest most chill a cold blooded killing machine can get.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Aw man, it turns out that avocados are not named from the Nahuatl word for testicle, but instead the name of the fruit (ahuacatl) was used as a euphemism. Too good to be true :(

http://nahuatlstudies.blogspot.com/2016/02/no-snopescom-word-guacamole-does-not.html

Testicles, however, do mean "little witnesses". The courtroom theme is entirely coincidental.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Solice Kirsk posted:

Alligators rule. They're like the happy cows of the crocodilians. Just the sweetest most chill a cold blooded killing machine can get.

"Hi, are you a threat? No? Cool. Are you food? No? Oh, cool. Have a nice day, 20 feet away from me and my sunning spot, thanks."

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

OK this is actually my favourite historical fact even though probably no-one else cares: Yrjö Sakari Yrjö-Koskinen (1830-1903), a Finnish senator etc. named their son Yrjö Koskinen Yrjö-Koskinen.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Jerry Cotton posted:

OK this is actually my favourite historical fact even though probably no-one else cares: Yrjö Sakari Yrjö-Koskinen (1830-1903), a Finnish senator etc. named their son Yrjö Koskinen Yrjö-Koskinen.

Is it a family name like Boutros Boutros-Ghali?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Major Major Major.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

wheatpuppy posted:

I will never not sing his name to the Davy Crockett theme thanks to an episode of Letterman I saw once

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

wheatpuppy posted:

Is what part of it a family name?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Yrjö Sakari Yrjö-Koskinen was born Georg Zakarias Forsman (because his patrilineal line was Swedish) originall used Yrjö Koskinen as his pen name, but changed his legal name when he became ennobled. Yrjö is the Finnish version of George/Göran/Jürgen/Yuri/etc, Koskinen means "small rapids" in Finnish, and Forsman means "man from the rapids" in Swedish, Sakari being Zakarias, so it's basically his Swedish name turned into Finnish.

Then he named his son after his pen name I guess, with the surname also being the same.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Senor Senor Senior must be real somewhere.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Yrjö also means puke.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Jerry Cotton posted:

Yrjö also means puke.

lol we use the name Ulrik (calling for him)

also pooping is taking Bruno for a swim

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 08:40 on Dec 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Avocado looks like it should mean something in Latin by accident, and I've always been disappointed that it very nearly doesn't. The closest is avocabo (I will call away) or avocando (by means of the calling away).