Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clement
Jun 30, 2007

I've met a working Yorkshire miner.
Well. gently caress.

Snipe: 270 was the amount of seats Labour should have got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I rest my case your honor.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

zhar
May 3, 2019

Clement posted:

Well. gently caress.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

ronya posted:

This is big news - it removes Pidcock from the succession race too, she was leftier than RLB or Rayner

RLB seems likely, she has McDonnell's backing

Ive stopped being shocked by people not remembering who rlb is but I still dont get why

The allegations are bullshit and its not universal. The public believe theres 100x the members reported than there are, members are less likely to hold antisemitic views than other parties.

If your argument is here are people in the guardian honestly saying they're scared because a lifelong antiracist is suddenly going to start a pogrom and itd be better he lost than the guy proposing to loving ban travellers from existing then yes, thats a huge and terrifying problem on display. Its the same one that gave us ed milibands bacon photo bullshit.

The jewish people saying "this is terrifying, what are you doing, why are white christians faith-baiting against corbyn" had their letters to the guardian deleted for being controversial though

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Going to have to change the name to just The Kingdom.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Wolfechu posted:

I suppose so. I mean, I'm in my late 40s, so I grew up with the Strike smack in the middle of my childhood. But the coal industry didn't grind to a halt in a day, it took a long, long time, and the ramifications of removing a major industry from an area that size (and steel, and textiles, and...) - and also years of not giving a gently caress if there were any jobs for anyone afterward, well into the 90s... You think that'd still be in a fair few people's minds.

I suppose not. I'm not very encouraged right now.
Yeah, same. Pidcock's constituency includes Consett, and I remember at least one person here saying, not unreasonably, that it would never turn Tory in a million years because of the communal memory of how Thatcher almost literally destroyed the town when the steelworks closed. And yet here we are.

Either this is the Brexit Uber Alles election, an aberration where to a lot of people literally nothing else matters beyond their Brexy, or... gently caress, I don't even want to think about what the alternative is tonight.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
lol, the guy with a racist rapsheet is definitely extremely concerned about antisemitism, yes sirree.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

spud posted:

I rest my case your honor.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3726754&perpage=40#post446785481

You post things like this so actually you can shut the gently caress up forever about racism and I’m going to ban you now.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

All three Aberdeenshire constituencies pending results. There's adjudication called on Banff and Buchan and on Gordon, but we just got told that WANK is slightly outside the margin for a recount so I expect it to be a narrow SNP win. Gordon looks like a recount may be required.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Damnit it what a lovely morning

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I'm glad Canterbury is a labour hold and I am glad also that Spud got banned but I am still going to spend my Friday in a bottle

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Kensington: Con GAIN

CON: 38.3% (-3.9)
LAB: 38.0% (-4.2)
LDEM: 21.3% (+9.1)
GRN: 1.2% (-0.8)
BREX: 0.9% (+0.9)

Swing: Lab to Con (+0.2) Turnout: 67.7%

Edit: also how the gently caress is the BXP candidate real

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Look how blue North Wales is now :smith:

Sharrow
Aug 20, 2007

So... mediocre.

Apraxin posted:

Yeah, same. Pidcock's constituency includes Consett, and I remember at least one person here saying, not unreasonably, that it would never turn Tory in a million years because of the communal memory of how Thatcher almost literally destroyed the town when the steelworks closed. And yet here we are.

Either this is the Brexit Uber Alles election, an aberration where to a lot of people literally nothing else matters beyond their Brexy, or... gently caress, I don't even want to think about what the alternative is tonight.

I wonder how much the communal memory truly exists anymore. People hitting 40 barely remember the Thatcher government, "Tories closed the pits" seems as irrelevant as "back to the 1970s" now.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Also I found out that my 19yo cousin didn't register and I am going to shout at him when I see him next week. What the gently caress.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Lmao your Lib Dem party are like the biggest ratfuckers ever aren't they? There are so many seats that seem like they are picked up or held if Lib Dems are not there

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

The Tory counting agent at my table knew the team supervisor, and before the count they were talking about Labour leaders and the unelectability of Corbyn. This Tory woman then said that John Smith was the greatest leader Labour had ever had and he would have wiped the floor with Blair. I was greatly surprised to hear a Conservative singing the praises of a strong lefty Labour leader.

Vindicator
Jul 23, 2007

Pretty good posted:

Also I found out that my 19yo cousin didn't register and I am going to shout at him when I see him next week. What the gently caress.

Don't do that. He wouldn't have swung it. Work on him for next time.

Slake Fistcrunch
Feb 16, 2011

What size skull-dome do you wear?
ashfield went conservative by 8k + votes

gently caress

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Vindicator posted:

Work on him for next time.

lol

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

Look how blue North Wales is now :smith:

Ahhhhh we can’t get doctors appointments and our bins get taken once a month. But we want it to get worse. I’m no nationalist but I do kinda have sympathy. This is what the wipeout of cultural identity looks like. I can see a reverse in the very limited devolution in a few years. It really doesn’t help that the best and brightest leave because... yeah.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

TulliusCicero posted:

Lmao your Lib Dem party are like the biggest ratfuckers ever aren't they? There are so many seats that seem like they are picked up or held if Lib Dems are not there
We all poo poo on them, but outside of a relatively small number of Remain seats in the south I don't think they made much difference this time around. Their vote share looks to be mostly the same as 2017, outside of the hardcore #FBPE most remainers came back to/stuck with Labour when push came to shove. The movement is mostly to Bxp and legit straight Lab to Con crossover in Leave seats.

Davey Cameron made an empty promise for a referendum he never thought he'd have to hold, and accidentally destroyed the country, whoops a daisy.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Regarde Aduck posted:

Ahhhhh we can’t get doctors appointments and our bins get taken once a month. But we want it to get worse. I’m no nationalist but I do kinda have sympathy. This is what the wipeout of cultural identity looks like. I can see a reverse in the very limited devolution in a few years. It really doesn’t help that the best and brightest leave because... yeah.

I wouldn't say that, just wait for the demographs of welsh voters. Wales youths are concerned of the possibility of independence as scott youths are. They may abandon the sinking ship.

Just wait for that, SNP winning 20 seats is a deathblow to english political parties on scotland.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Tories hold WANK.

ColonelMuttonchops
Feb 18, 2011

Young Orc
I read in another thread that Corbyn is at like -40 for unpopularity. If thats right, how the gently caress did that happen, is that just the result of years of news media making GBS threads on him?

If thats literally all there was to it, how're you going to deal with the same thing happening to the next Labour leader? Just not giving the news enough time to thoroughly poo poo on them?

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Jedit posted:

The Tory counting agent at my table knew the team supervisor, and before the count they were talking about Labour leaders and the unelectability of Corbyn. This Tory woman then said that John Smith was the greatest leader Labour had ever had and he would have wiped the floor with Blair. I was greatly surprised to hear a Conservative singing the praises of a strong lefty Labour leader.

John Smith counts as leftie now? He was a stalwart of the old Labour right, back when the left ruled the roost and those who would become the new Labour right were biding their time by writing in Marxism Today rather than taking the left head-on. Finding an older person on the right who liked the old hard hats over the slippery lawyers and journos might be par for the course

ronya fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Dec 13, 2019

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

blurgh. I'm sick of this poo poo. Goodnight.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

ColonelMuttonchops posted:

I read in another thread that Corbyn is at like -40 for unpopularity. If thats right, how the gently caress did that happen, is that just the result of years of news media making GBS threads on him?

If thats literally all there was to it, how're you going to deal with the same thing happening to the next Labour leader? Just not giving the news enough time to thoroughly poo poo on them?

He wasn't the most combative individual so that didn't help but at this stage it doesn't matter who you bring.Miliband and brown got bodied too.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
My condolences, UKGoons. :smith:

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
I guess we get a single moment of :laffo: for the night:
https://twitter.com/ScotIndyDebate/status/1205336154087862276

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

That's the difficulty, isn't it. Anyone who gave Corbyn 5 minutes realised how nice, down to earth, and right-on he was. Anyone we put forward is going to get monstered, unless we put a red Tory melt up there. We can't rely on the media to be on our side

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

apparently hiding in fridges works

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

While the media completely shut down mass messaging we need a new way of cutting through, or a way to force the message through. Novara and Double Down are a start, general strike, protest etc. Go low/go high and decorum doesn't work when your opponent's platform reaches the entire nation and lets them lie. That is fascism. That Stanley Johnson clip from C4 was loving scary.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jedit posted:

Tories hold WANK.
I'm not surprised with the way the results are coming in.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
This is a bloodbath. I’ve not been able to sleep since the results came in. I’ve been feeling since January that any momentum that was gained by 2017 had completely faltered, and that we’d become too confident about Corbyn being basically PM in waiting. I think the reorientation of Labour as it dissects this loss is going to be vicious, and it will be caught between either dumping its current approach and political figures, or outright irrelevancy.

The country has followed the US it seems in a form of ‘liberal cities v “we’re left behind” localities’ with the same messaging effect. It’s true culture war stuff, and with people like Milne and Lavery banging the old 1970s drums, they didn’t win back the pro-Brexit localities because ‘why vote for labour fudge when you can have the real thing’ conservatives were more attractive, and they lost enough of the liberal city-types to the Lib Dems, even though that wouldn’t have been enough to save them anyway. The abstaining on the Immigration Bill idiocy was a watershed I think, for a lot of people. Put that together with our lovely loving media...

And to be honest, I don’t want to know what sort of godawful racist, xenophobic ‘controls on immigration mug’ policies labour will consider as a means to try to win back the localities.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

That's the difficulty, isn't it. Anyone who gave Corbyn 5 minutes realised how nice, down to earth, and right-on he was. Anyone we put forward is going to get monstered, unless we put a red Tory melt up there. We can't rely on the media to be on our side

Actually pick them a week before the general election so the media has as little time to go to town as possible might be your only hope.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
If motherfucking jam grandad, the best most honest politician I’ve seen in a long time, was butchered like this, I honestly have no hope for this electorate

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Vindicator posted:

Don't do that. He wouldn't have swung it. Work on him for next time.
Yeah you're right. I am going to give him the safety razor and nice shaving cream I got him for christmas and we are going to go for a walk in the hills and share a joint and then I will gently call him a dipshit and tell him that it is very important to loving get it together and make it happen next time

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

I want to loving crawl in a hole and die but hey, at least you fuckheads can't blame Scotland this time like you did in 2017. This trainwreck is all on England, as it always bloody is. God I wish we'd gone independent when we had the chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
I feel like it wasn't that long ago when "Prime Minister Boris Johnson with a Conservative Majority" was a funny ironic hellworld joke.