Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
for me not only are normal keyboards torture, mechanical keyboards without o-rings are torture too :(

i now have a kinesis freestyle edge at home and at the office. i never could get used to a proper kinesis layout so that's just in my closet until i can return it to the friend that lent it to me to try

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
It takes a month to get used to, but once you get over the hump it's worth it.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Salt Fish posted:

since your brain is already fried, it’s also a good time to pick a superior key layout, while you’re at it.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Salt Fish posted:

yeah, go cold turkey, took me two weeks of work to get on an ergodox and then another two weeks of time-sharing to move back and forth

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress you guys sound like manual transmission apologists

what’s your equivalent of a clutch? a foot pedal that transforms to a second layout, giving access to precious function keys not yet available

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

should be able to talk to computer by now

pram
Jun 10, 2001
millennials are killing alternative HID with their clicky keyboards smh

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!

echinopsis posted:

what’s your equivalent of a clutch? a foot pedal that transforms to a second layout, giving access to precious function keys not yet available

On my ergodox at home, I have a key combo that rotates the keys on the left half by one column so that wasd is in a comfortable place.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

echinopsis posted:

kinesis does make foot pedals that are programmable just like the advantage2, and I’ve so far fought off the urge to buy a set.

https://kinesis-ergo.com/foot-pedals/

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
use esdf? no, i will do this monstrous thing instead

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

blugu64 posted:

kinesis does make foot pedals that are programmable just like the advantage2, and I’ve so far fought off the urge to buy a set.

I got my old work to buy me one and they didn't prove useful for me. It might be different if i had like limited motion in one hand or often needed elaborate key combos like some emacs freak but i don't.

they're built like fuckin tanks though, the three switch one weighs like 6lbs

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Fib posted:

On my ergodox at home, I have a key combo that rotates the keys on the left half by one column so that wasd is in a comfortable place.

:psyduck:

Jowj
Dec 25, 2010

My favourite player and idol. His battles with his wrists mirror my own battles with the constant disgust I feel towards my zerg bugs.

rotor posted:

I got my old work to buy me one and they didn't prove useful for me. It might be different if i had like limited motion in one hand or often needed elaborate key combos like some emacs freak but i don't.

they're built like fuckin tanks though, the three switch one weighs like 6lbs

man idk if anyone _needs_ a foot pedal but it does seem cool as hell

foot pedal leader key for your window manager! or foot pedal as hyper!

the only actual use i can remember was one of my brothers using a foot pedal to start stop audio while he typed out what a recording said in undergrad

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Fib posted:

what the gently caress

what the gently caress did you do here

gently caress

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Pedals suck, they're the worst. I tried them for a while and it is seriously exhausting to keep your feet in that position. It's also very tiring to click with your foot all day. You wouldn't think tapping your foot like that would be too much work but 6 hours or whatever and you will be feeling it.

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Salt Fish posted:

Pedals suck, they're the worst. I tried them for a while and it is seriously exhausting to keep your feet in that position. It's also very tiring to click with your foot all day. You wouldn't think tapping your foot like that would be too much work but 6 hours or whatever and you will be feeling it.

sounds like you need a manual transmission to strengthen up your pedal foot

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

blugu64 posted:

gamer clutch for your ergo board

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress when’s the ergodox kinesis anal
probe that you activate a new row of keys by clenching you’re rear end in a top hat, the leds that chance colour based on how dilated you’re urethra is

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

eschaton posted:

gamer clutch for your ergo board

i had one of the pedals set to toggle to windows keymapping for when i was remoting into a vm

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

the other was esc and the other was idk some bullshit i only used it for a week or so

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

one week of an infinite period

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lots of self owning going on itt

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lol

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

rotor posted:

i had one of the pedals set to toggle to windows keymapping for when i was remoting into a vm

you should install a h shifter to switch between keyboard layouts

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I knew there had to be a mechanical keyboard thread on this stupid site somewhere!

My first!

https://imgur.com/gallery/SvsPgsO

3D printed the case/pre-wired LED PCB/entry level switches/not super expensive keycaps. All done for less than $125.

mewse
May 2, 2006

mattfl posted:

I knew there had to be a mechanical keyboard thread on this stupid site somewhere!

My first!

3D printed the case/pre-wired LED PCB/entry level switches/not super expensive keycaps. All done for less than $125.

Looks good man. gateron greens?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

mewse posted:

Looks good man. gateron greens?

Yep!

I was trying to stay on a low budget build and these were the cheapest at 1upkeyboards. I like them so far.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
https://open.spotify.com/album/6fsHTE2bAu2wLVUXSXUcCg?si=wWaUbaDpT9mapsvmIoq4Ig

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Fib posted:

lol, I need to do something like this for when I play doom, since 6 and 7 are far away I never use the plasgun or bug

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
just got an HP 28903B keyboard to use with my HP 9816 (aka HP 9000-216) computer

sorry for the blur, didn’t check the pic after I took it

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!

mattfl posted:

My first!

dang, how come my prints never look this good

(it’s because I’m not patient enough to print on high quality settings and also I don’t store my filament properly)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
doing poo poo properly leads to having to have other excuses for your poo poo output like profound general incompetence

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Fib posted:

dang, how come my prints never look this good

(it’s because I’m not patient enough to print on high quality settings and also I don’t store my filament properly)

I have a Prusa so it’s always kinda worked and made good prints. This was printed at .2 with 20% infill.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

eschaton posted:

just got an HP 28903B keyboard to use with my HP 9816 (aka HP 9000-216) computer

sorry for the blur, didn’t check the pic after I took it

that function (k?) key layout is sexy as hell in the top two rows, is that a functional knob in the upper left?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

yes it is

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHt01D6rOLI

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

what kind of keyboard would Donald Trump use?

mewse
May 2, 2006

BONGHITZ posted:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

BONGHITZ posted:

a piss-soaked mattress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

lol I enjoyed