Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Kill All Cops posted:

anyone who thinks corbyn cant channel anger hasnt watched a single PMQs ever, have they

i watched a few and he wasnt good at it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9GpgSQZ4J4

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
death cult island

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Uncle Wemus posted:

does british politics wait a while to start up again now or do they get right to it tomorrow how long do we have to wait until we see brexit

brexit will never happen. theyll do brexit in all but name immediately ie theyll sell off the nhs to aetna and stuff limeys full of chlorinated chicken and e. coli lettuce by the end of 2020 but they wont call it brexit and theyll pretend that brexit hasnt happened for the next several years until the next election when theyll say that the lettuce has e coli because we havent had brexit yet and you need to vote tory to make brexit happen

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

this is true but do you really think that corbyn being better at delivering zingers would've made the difference

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

THS posted:

do you think a lot of americans might think sanders is equally uncharismatic and off-putting - if in a different way than Corbyn, at least with the same effect electorally?

Nah, people like Sanders. He's got a wholesome energy along with being outspoken, gruff and angry. He's a massive contrast to Trump, but in a really good way, and comes off as authentic and charming. He's got a memorable voice, memorable mannerisms, and a ruffled appearance that means he's really hard to forget or feel like he's being stuffy.

I liked Corbyn a lot, he seemed like one of the only respectable people in the chamber every time I watched. But Sanders' sweeping gestures and voice that sounds like a caricature of a jewish man from brooklyn makes him stand out, so not only was he yelling about how NAFTA was a bad idea back when they were passing it he also had this wild mop of hair and had a distinct, unforgettable voice.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Corbyn get some rest buddy, you did what you could. The blairites did not deserve your constant kindness.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

V. Illych L. posted:

had they turned to lexit instead of remain-with-a-fig-leaf they would've seen a similar situation, but reversed - they would've been losing safe seats across the big cities and many of their middle-class activists would've been demoralised or left entirely. as it is, the pro-brexit voices in the party were getting shoutes at (milne, mccluskey)

i think this is the correct view that he was hosed regardless. Either Corbyn disavows his lexit predilections, goes remain, and loses even more of the territory he lost tonight in old labour strongholds or he hypothetically went hard brexit and wins those strongholds but loses way more catastrophically to a stronger lib dem turnout.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

THS posted:

do you think a lot of americans might think sanders is equally uncharismatic and off-putting - if in a different way than Corbyn, at least with the same effect electorally?

corbyns approval was in the low 20s and bernie is the most popular politician in the united states for the last 5 years or so, so obviously not

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.
The DUP have lost the North and South Belfast seats one to Sinn Fein and one to the SDLP. Loyalists are going to be loving foaming at the mouth this morning because it means they're getting the gently caress The North Brexit.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

idk man i disagree, i guess we just view this stuff on a fundamentally different wavelength (or the Lying Media got to your Brain)

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The LibDems wouldn't have surged lol

Philthy posted:

Can the economy please just crater and gently caress all these right wing assholes out of power already.

Don't worry it's coming, but it'll put the smarmiest blue labourite in Downing St.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Can the economy please just crater and gently caress all these right wing assholes out of power already.

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

Shear Modulus posted:

wait did corbyn quit already

Yeah, the system has done it's job and the people emphatically shrugged their shoulders at Jam Lad. They need to let the Tories gently caress it all up and pick up the pieces with a new face in the future, that's what the people want lmao

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Nonsense posted:

they absolutely would've, they were polling in the mid-twenties before labour pivoted to remain

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Corbyn can not fail, but can only be Failed, by the awful English voters

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
jesus gently caress what a rout, I'm so sorry britgoons :(

Taintrunner posted:

did everyone just miss the part where Boris has absolute power now with zero oversight

it’s full fash time

explain this to me

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Nonsense posted:

i think you underestimate the amount of middle class pro-EU assholes in urban areas who still reluctantly voted for corbyn (or for their local MP as they saw it)

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Martout posted:

explain this to me

Boris is the King of England now

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

V. Illych L. posted:

this is true but do you really think that corbyn being better at delivering zingers would've made the difference

absolutely

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer

V. Illych L. posted:

corbyn did not lose because he is boring, he lost because of the critically low class consciousness of the workers of britain allowed brexit to turn into an issue of identity. labour tried to compromise, and ended up as the squeezed middle, bizarrely. no matter how young or slick he was he would've lost those seats because people wanted to Get Brexit Done, and that was always going to be a big loss for the party.

had they turned to lexit instead of remain-with-a-fig-leaf they would've seen a similar situation, but reversed - they would've been losing safe seats across the big cities and many of their middle-class activists would've been demoralised or left entirely. as it is, the pro-brexit voices in the party were getting shoutes at (milne, mccluskey)

it was always an identity issue, everything is. identity and narrative are what capitalism has used to replace community bonds and purpose

THS posted:

also just to add one more thing - i think for the self-reflective and anxious among us, especially on a forum where intense criticism is the norm - it's difficult to express this view because it comes across as the most basic level punk rock high school anarchist critique, and has also been appropriated by alex jones and similar forces, and even appropriated by capitalism itself in its own all consuming way - even though it is, if informed with marxist materialism and a basic humane view of the world, the correct reading of media, mainstream news, etc. dare to be cringe i guess

it very is. if i had a screencap handy id post joyce's line from disco elysium about infracultures, nobody escapes the supraculture because capitalism subsumes even critque into iself. eat fresh.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I don't know how a more charismatic politician would have been able to thread the Brexit needle

for that matter, how do you go from "someone else besides Corbyn" to an actual living member of the Labour Party who would have wanted the job?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

that is insane sorry

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

THS posted:

i think you underestimate the amount of middle class pro-EU assholes in urban areas who still reluctantly voted for corbyn (or for their local MP as they saw it)

True, I also kinda forgot that Scotland wants out this mess and they gave no fucks about Boris, or England.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Ayn Randi posted:

it was always an identity issue, everything is. identity and narrative are what capitalism has used to replace community bonds and purpose

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

V. Illych L. posted:

it would make a difference I think but not enough, the election being about brexit and not austerity and privatization of the NHS was what undid The Boy

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

the odds were always stacked against corbyn

1) hostile media
2) two hostile parties running to gently caress you over in marginal seats
3) demoralized, uneducated working white precariate with little to no class consciousness resentful of immigrants and muslims
4) remoaners seen as out-of-touch and upset that they won't be able to hang out with cool europeans
5) Impossible to do lexit without demoralizing youth base, organizers, and party cadres
6) diminished political consciousness about the possible, learned helplessness, etc thanks to a decade of austerity

the fact that he wasn't very charismatic in the ordinary sense did not help, but no labour leader could have won this election.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

V. Illych L. posted:

trump is president of the us entirely off of his strength at delivering sick burns and do you really think limey voters are that much smarter than americans

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Shear Modulus posted:

brexit will never happen. theyll do brexit in all but name immediately ie theyll sell off the nhs to aetna and stuff limeys full of chlorinated chicken and e. coli lettuce by the end of 2020 but they wont call it brexit and theyll pretend that brexit hasnt happened for the next several years until the next election when theyll say that the lettuce has e coli because we havent had brexit yet and you need to vote tory to make brexit happen
yeah it's not like the ruling class wanted this -- they are just willing to use it and manipulate sentiment to preserve their wealth and power. could very be another slow-rolled "we solved brexit!!!" thing like trump's reworking of NAFTA which is basically the same as NAFTA with trump's face stamped on it. have some headlines in the murdoch press about everything being great and :britain::britain::britain: rule britannia :britain::britain::britain: for the real low-brow conservative voters to eat it up, while the ones who ask too many questions can be quietly ignored like usual

i mean it works for trump. as long as the people at the top are making money and the plebs are getting screwed then everything is okay

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Grondoth posted:

Nah, people like Sanders. He's got a wholesome energy along with being outspoken, gruff and angry. He's a massive contrast to Trump, but in a really good way, and comes off as authentic and charming. He's got a memorable voice, memorable mannerisms, and a ruffled appearance that means he's really hard to forget or feel like he's being stuffy.

I liked Corbyn a lot, he seemed like one of the only respectable people in the chamber every time I watched. But Sanders' sweeping gestures and voice that sounds like a caricature of a jewish man from brooklyn makes him stand out, so not only was he yelling about how NAFTA was a bad idea back when they were passing it he also had this wild mop of hair and had a distinct, unforgettable voice.

Americans like politicians who are memorable and quirky. Its why the candidate who sells more halloween masks always ends up winning the election.

I think Scott loving Walker of all people said that Bernie is the only democrat who had a chance of making the rural areas competitive instead of having a path solely focused on running up the score in the cities and suburbs because hes angry and pointing out all the poo poo thats wrong which the countryside responds to because of how much poo poo is wrong out there but he never struck me as particularly smart and we live in the hell timeline but who knows.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

KaptainKrunk posted:

1) hostile media
3) demoralized, uneducated working white precariate with little to no class consciousness resentful of immigrants and muslims
4) remoaners seen as out-of-touch and upset that they won't be able to hang out with cool europeans
5) Impossible to do lexit without demoralizing youth base, organizers, and party cadres
6) diminished political consciousness about the possible, learned helplessness, etc thanks to a decade of austerity

the fact that he wasn't very charismatic in the ordinary sense did not help, but no labour leader could have won this election.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TyY_hx0qn0

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Martout posted:

jesus gently caress what a rout, I'm so sorry britgoons :(

explain this to me

it’s in the Tory manifesto. he has full executive powers with no oversight from anyone.

it’s over.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

KaptainKrunk posted:

1) hostile media

sucks real bad mang

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Wow, people really voted for pain.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Taintrunner posted:

it’s in the Tory manifesto. he has full executive powers with no oversight from anyone.

it’s over.

so the whole party has agreed that if they get a majority by themselves the PM gets to do whatever the gently caress and they'll support it?

THS
Sep 15, 2017

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

yeah it's not like the ruling class wanted this -- they are just willing to use it and manipulate sentiment to preserve their wealth and power. could very be another slow-rolled "we solved brexit!!!" thing like trump's reworking of NAFTA which is basically the same as NAFTA with trump's face stamped on it. have some headlines in the murdoch press about everything being great and :britain::britain::britain: rule britannia :britain::britain::britain: for the real low-brow conservative voters to eat it up, while the ones who ask too many questions can be quietly ignored like usual

i mean it works for trump. as long as the people at the top are making money and the plebs are getting screwed then everything is okay

also ultimately why the gently caress would british capitalists actually care if the UK is essentially still beholden to european finance and trade while being supposedly independent from the EU but now with even less input. they can go wherever the gently caress they want, the schengen zone and any new limitations never applied to them anyway, and they can hollow out the UK while living wherever they want, doing whatever they want

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Martout posted:

so the whole party has agreed that if they get a majority by themselves the PM gets to do whatever the gently caress and they'll support it?

Boris delivered them a majority after being mocked for losing votes by commoners

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm not sure I entirely like this angle that since we think that people had to have liked Corbyn's policies, but since we also don't want to consider factors outside of his party, that we're instead running to how personable he is, and further projecting that onto Sanders as being successful because he's a charismatic politician, and not because of his policies

gradenko_2000 has issued a correction as of 07:35 on Dec 13, 2019

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Martout posted:

why wouldnt they

right-wingers want less democracy, thats kind of their MO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/jimwaterson/status/1205341670738464770

more fires. more death. grenfell is good for number