Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The Skystone by Jack Whyte is Arthurian fantasy, not a subgenre I have anything but a passing acquaintance with. As such, I have no real context for this book or its venue. Skystone is set well before the time of Arthur, and instead sets out to tell the story of the origins of Arthur, Camelot, and Excalibur - beginning with the last days of the Roman occupation of Britain. It's an unusual setting, one I've never read about before, and while I have some knowledge of Roman history, Roman Britain is largely a blank spot for me. I enjoyed the setting, it's different from anything I'm used to, and Whyte does a terrific job of evoking an apocalyptic atmosphere. He struck a vibe very similar to any "the end of the world as we know it" Tomorrow AD novels I've read, but the end of the world in question is the end of the Roman world.

For all that I enjoyed the setting, the characters in this book are all shallow archetypes. Protagonist Publius Varrus is A Good Man. So is his best friend Caius Britannicus. Claudius Senesca is A Villain. King Ullic Pendragon of the Celts is a Noble Savage. Luceiia is A Good Wife And Mother. Phoebe exists to demonstrate the protagonist's manly virility and then get murdered by the villain to motivate the protagonist. And so on and so forth. There are no surprises anywhere to be had in the book, no one changes or grows as a character, and oh my God aren't Britons special?

Maybe all this is par for the course for the genre, but I found it disappointing since I enjoyed the unusual setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Cythereal posted:

and oh my God aren't Britons special?

I've been tentatively reading a bit of mystery/detective stuff over the past few years (mainly by just picking books at random at the library based on whatever looks interesting and isn't blatant contemporary author self-insert stuff) and I felt the same about this one series about a Roman surgeon/physician who ended up in Londonium and promptly frees and marries a Celtic slave girl while they solve mysteries. I think for a couple of the books they actually went back to Italy/Gaul proper (his wife converts after meeting some Christian slaves, of course) but for the most part it's some Hollywood Romans with overly modern attitudes running around Provincia Britannia solving the sort of mysteries you'd expect.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Khizan posted:

I got the Gideon the Ninth audiobook with a free Audible credit thing that Amazon emailed me a while back, and to my surprise I've been enjoying listening to it in the car despite my long history of not being able to deal with them. I've got another 2 free credits from a trial to spend, and I'm looking for some more titles that are particularly good in audiobook form.

I don't care if I've read them before or not. I honestly feel like I'm only enjoying the Gideon audiobook so much because I've read it before, so I'm okay with pausing it for a few days or only listening in little bits between errands and such. Also, I'm not particularly looking for books that are parts of giant series, so I'd prefer to avoid things like the Dresden Files or Wheel of Time.

Any suggestions?"

I really liked the narration on Spinning Silver, and it's a standalone book too.

Edit: Thoughts on the Lightbringer series? Thinking about starting some big rear end fantasy books.

A Proper Uppercut fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Dec 12, 2019

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

C.M. Kruger posted:

I've been tentatively reading a bit of mystery/detective stuff over the past few years (mainly by just picking books at random at the library based on whatever looks interesting and isn't blatant contemporary author self-insert stuff) and I felt the same about this one series about a Roman surgeon/physician who ended up in Londonium and promptly frees and marries a Celtic slave girl while they solve mysteries. I think for a couple of the books they actually went back to Italy/Gaul proper (his wife converts after meeting some Christian slaves, of course) but for the most part it's some Hollywood Romans with overly modern attitudes running around Provincia Britannia solving the sort of mysteries you'd expect.

I'm enough of a historian to feel a sense of instinctive rage and contempt whenever England comes up in a historical context, and yeah Skystone is really, really Hollywood Roman with all the good guys conveniently having modern attitudes and beliefs.

I'm given to understand that this is something of a given in Arthurian fantasy, though.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Cythereal posted:

I'm enough of a historian to feel a sense of instinctive rage and contempt whenever England comes up in a historical context, and yeah Skystone is really, really Hollywood Roman with all the good guys conveniently having modern attitudes and beliefs.

I'm given to understand that this is something of a given in Arthurian fantasy, though.

Arthurian fantasy should embrace the anachronisms, IMO. Basically all the romances by Chretian de Troyes, etc. projected the customs of the High Middle Ages back into the Dark Ages. TH White’s The Once and Future King has some sort of jokey quasi-alternate history going on where Uther seems to have replaced William the Conqueror, in addition to Merlin being from the future.

When people aim for “historical” takes they often end up with a bunch of unintentional anachronisms anyway, while removing interesting elements. Like the 2004 movie.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Dec 12, 2019

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Anyone read Dead Moon by Peter Clines?

I liked it, but I'm kinda stuck wondering how it ties into the rest of the Threshold series.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Silver2195 posted:

When people aim for “historical” takes they often end up with a bunch of unintentional anachronisms anyway, while removing interesting elements. Like the 2004 movie.

I like that movie. :smith:

Not because it's good, mind you.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Anyone read Dead Moon by Peter Clines?

I liked it, but I'm kinda stuck wondering how it ties into the rest of the Threshold series.

Hated it. I read and really enjoyed 14 and Threshold. Was bored to tears by Dead Moon. Just completely failed to engage me in any way. Abandoned it halfway through as I couldn't bring myself to slog through another word.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Silver2195 posted:

Arthurian fantasy should embrace the anachronisms, IMO. Basically all the romances by Chretian de Troyes, etc. projected the customs of the High Middle Ages back into the Dark Ages. TH White’s The Once and Future King has some sort of jokey quasi-alternate history going on where Uther seems to have replaced William the Conqueror, in addition to Merlin being from the future.

Agreed. Rewriting things to suit current mores is literally the most Arthurian thing you can do.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

If you dig the Roman stuff, they aren’t fantasy but the SPQR books and the Roma Sub Rosa books are good fun. I know gently caress all about ancient Roman history so I can’t vouch for their accuracy but they’re fun detective stories.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

navyjack posted:

If you dig the Roman stuff, they aren’t fantasy but the SPQR books and the Roma Sub Rosa books are good fun. I know gently caress all about ancient Roman history so I can’t vouch for their accuracy but they’re fun detective stories.

I read the first one of those and it was indeed good fun. I don't think they're particularly historical but it's fun to see Decius cross paths with like every major figure from the late Republic era.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I finished reading Steel Frame yesterday and on the whole I really liked it. Although I did feel like the ending was a little rushed and abrupt.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

muscles like this! posted:

I finished reading Steel Frame yesterday and on the whole I really liked it. Although I did feel like the ending was a little rushed and abrupt.

Same. And an interview with the author said that's basically the end of Rook's story, he has ideas for other books in the universe.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

At least it actually had an ending. I was getting worried that it would cut off without a resolution.

Also started reading Blake Crouch's Recursion and I'm digging it. It is a lot like Dark Matter where the story starts at a slow burn but by halfway it has started hurtling down the tracks.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

muscles like this! posted:

Also started reading Blake Crouch's Recursion and I'm digging it. It is a lot like Dark Matter where the story starts at a slow burn but by halfway it has started hurtling down the tracks.
Excellent. I’ve been looking forward to that. I was pretty happy with all the mind fuckery in the Wayward Pines books.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Considering the book deals with people who are all of a sudden flooded with memories of false lives, yeah, there's a lot of mind fuckery.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

navyjack posted:

If you can stomach comics, the Britannia series are also pretty good. It's about a guy who's the equivalent of a detective during the time of Nero. Despite the name, a lot of the action past the first volume is set in Rome. Some magic. Aside from that, from a historicity perspective some parts, that the writer researched closely, are pretty good; others probably less so. Good stuff either way.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

John Cowper Powys' Porius is the best modern arthurian book because there is extensive discussion about the sociopolitical formations of Britain in the year 499 AD but it's also casually mentioned that some of the people in Britain came there as refugees from the lost continent of Atlantis and the protagonist spends like a billion pages thinking about the colour of mist and what it makes him think of.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Deptfordx posted:

Hated it. I read and really enjoyed 14 and Threshold. Was bored to tears by Dead Moon. Just completely failed to engage me in any way. Abandoned it halfway through as I couldn't bring myself to slog through another word.

It picked up about halfway through, I was leaning towards dropping it myself but I'm familiar enough with his work to know sometimes it's a slow boil before poo poo gets weird.

When it does get weird, oh drat does it get weird.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Someone recommended The Milkweed Triptych earlier upthread. Picked it up the first book. Really enjoying it so far. It occasionally seems a bit overly verbose or uses seemingly excessive esoteric adjectives for no apparent reason, but it's pretty good otherwise. Hopefully it doesn't get too cringey later on.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Khizan posted:

I got the Gideon the Ninth audiobook with a free Audible credit thing that Amazon emailed me a while back, and to my surprise I've been enjoying listening to it in the car despite my long history of not being able to deal with them. I've got another 2 free credits from a trial to spend, and I'm looking for some more titles that are particularly good in audiobook form.

I don't care if I've read them before or not. I honestly feel like I'm only enjoying the Gideon audiobook so much because I've read it before, so I'm okay with pausing it for a few days or only listening in little bits between errands and such. Also, I'm not particularly looking for books that are parts of giant series, so I'd prefer to avoid things like the Dresden Files or Wheel of Time.

Any suggestions?"

The Lies of Locke Lamora is a great one, very good narrator

Ms. Chanandler Bong
Dec 20, 2008

I'm into Alastair Reynolds hard kind of extreme sci-fi, like house of suns, pushing ice, revelation space etc. Apart from Peter Hamilton can someone recommend me a similar author and good starting point?

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Ms. Chanandler Bong posted:

I'm into Alastair Reynolds hard kind of extreme sci-fi, like house of suns, pushing ice, revelation space etc. Apart from Peter Hamilton can someone recommend me a similar author and good starting point?

You will probably like Stephen Baxter and his Xeelee sequence. Raft is a stand alone and a good starting point to see if you like his style IMO

Take the plunge! Okay! fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Dec 14, 2019

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Also I really like Baxters authorised sequels to HG Wells, The Time Ships (Sequel to The Time Machine) and The Massacre of Mankind (War of the Worlds).

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Go read Blindsight.

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019
I had forgotten to post earlier but am now reminded that Alastair Reynolds said earlier this month that he’s in the middle of writing a new Revelation Space novel. No release date yet, though.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Ellison's Shatterday $2 on kindle. A classic collection of great short stories

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J90EME...d_i=11552285011

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

dog nougat posted:

Someone recommended The Milkweed Triptych earlier upthread. Picked it up the first book. Really enjoying it so far. It occasionally seems a bit overly verbose or uses seemingly excessive esoteric adjectives for no apparent reason, but it's pretty good otherwise. Hopefully it doesn't get too cringey later on.

It's pretty consistent, no worries there.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Neurosis posted:

It's pretty consistent, no worries there.

Consistently bad! gahahaha!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Quantum Thief is amazing.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Cythereal posted:

The Skystone by Jack Whyte

I liked that series. It had some rather bizarre plot decisions, but in ways that actually worked for me. One thing I particularly respect is his open admission in about the fourth book that "all my friends called me out on how terrible my female characterizations are, and they're right and I'll fix that". The apocalyptic theme really works for me, as does the doomed rebuilding of civilization from Camulod.

They aren't the best books, but for airport style "Roman stuff is badass" novels they're thoroughly entertaining, and they get much better as the series goes along.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Uncle Lloyd posted:

I had forgotten to post earlier but am now reminded that Alastair Reynolds said earlier this month that he’s in the middle of writing a new Revelation Space novel. No release date yet, though.

Betting it's going to be a Prefect series sequel/prequel.
Each Revelation Space sequel dropped the hard-scifi angle more and more. RIP lighthugger ice-shields.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Phanatic posted:

Quantum Thief is amazing.

The first one is a really good space opera heist book with some hard SciFi.

The second is also good, dealing with paradox and time loops but just didn't excite me as much.

Still pre-ordering the next one.

TheHawk
Apr 1, 2005
One out, One in.

Looking for some recommendations on a kinda specific premise but if anybody has some books/series that start off with a dragon teaching the MC and gifting them ancient magic/weapons in a setting where they are supposed to be legends/been hunted to extinction I'd appreciate it.

Amniotic
Jan 23, 2008

Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.

That's the b-plot in Feist's Magician, isn't it?

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Iron Dragon's Daughter is kinda the first 2/3 of that and also a very good book

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Hear me out here....Earthsea?

Dark477
Oct 15, 2018

branedotorg posted:

The first one is a really good space opera heist book with some hard SciFi.

The second is also good, dealing with paradox and time loops but just didn't excite me as much.

Still pre-ordering the next one.

Are you talking about the quantum thief or the quantum magician?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Amniotic posted:

That's the b-plot in Feist's Magician, isn't it?

Sort of. Ashen-Shugar is a dragon lord, which is basically Tolkien's Valar with the serial numbers filed off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
New kindle deals today.

The Poppy War by RF Kuang - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072L58JW6/

A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K Le Guin - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008T9L6AM/

The Rage of Dragons by Evan Winter - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L2VKFP5/

Traitor's Blade by Sebastien de Castell - $0.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TV2K5NC/

Underground Airlines by Ben H Winters - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017RQP41O/
This is the same author who did the Last Policeman series. No idea if this is as good.

To Be Taught, If Fortunate by Becky Chambers - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L2Z4DBK/
Never heard this one mentioned here. Anyone know if it's good?

There's a bunch more but I've mostly never heard of them.