Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Volguus posted:

What's the idea with "killing the wifi"? Never had a surface so I have no clue what's the problem there. What tablets i did have i never felt the need to kill the wifi (maybe I should have?).

Sometimes it doesn't give you the ability to make a local non-MS account if it's connected to the internet.

That still doesn't seem to be the normal state of Win10 installs -- the MS account is front and center but the local account is still a visible option. But for some people, some of the time, they have to disconnect to get a local account. I could see Surface triggering that. Because if you bought a Surface you must really like Microsoft right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

My neighbor booted up a fresh pre-built the other day and didn't see an option to use a local account (wired internet). I thought it might have been cut off by his TVs overscan but I guess not.

E: also, I guess, is it possible to compensate for overscan in windows? His TVs real lovely and you can't turn it off.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Volguus posted:

What's the idea with "killing the wifi"? Never had a surface so I have no clue what's the problem there. What tablets i did have i never felt the need to kill the wifi (maybe I should have?).

When doing the usual first time Windows setup things, immediately after selecting a locale/language, the next thing that the Surface asks for is a wifi AP + password, so that it can do the usual internet things like update drivers, phone home to check license, and so on, and so forth.

However, this is a trap. If you give it a valid internet connection, it removes the option to create a local account, and gives you no option but to log in using a Microsoft account.

The circumvention for this, then, is to not give it wifi credentials until after you've created a local account. Or, if you got suckered by this, because it will not give you the opportunity to revoke said wifi credentials, disconnect the internet.

I speculated that this is purely a thing for Windows 10 devices that do not normally or cannot accept a wired internet connection, but would not put it past Microsoft as doing more hostile lovely things to the customer for the sake of doing hostile lovely things because it's not enough to just take in money on the sale of an OS anymore.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Klyith posted:

Sometimes it doesn't give you the ability to make a local non-MS account if it's connected to the internet.

That still doesn't seem to be the normal state of Win10 installs -- the MS account is front and center but the local account is still a visible option. But for some people, some of the time, they have to disconnect to get a local account. I could see Surface triggering that. Because if you bought a Surface you must really like Microsoft right?

When I installed Windows 10 on this computer a couple weeks ago it wasn't connected because I couldn't be arsed to plug in the ethernet. And then it complained about not having internet, had me press 'continue anyway' then repeated the message about how great a MS account is vs a local one, tried to connect again and had me press 'continue anyway' again and then it let me make a local account.
Then 5 minutes later I plugged in the ethernet to download drivers and stuff and gave me the below message that proves they don't proofread anything with actual human eyes. And then threw all the lovely questions about if I want to give MS access to everything (while still not asking if it's ok for them to hoard my activity) at me.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I have noticed that the OOBE has been getting steadily more aggressive over the past few releases when it comes to the Microsoft account thing. It doesn't seem like that long ago that it was just a matter of clicking "Domain join instead" or something like that and it would just have you create a local account with no fuss. Now you have to click through like half a dozen screens saying "Are you really, really sure??? REALLY??????" I haven't tried a clean install on 1909 yet but I am not at all surprised to hear that it's even more of a pain in the rear end.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIxg4yTzDN8

relevant (all the way from 2003)

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

SwissArmyDruid posted:

The circumvention for this, then, is to not give it wifi credentials until after you've created a local account. Or, if you got suckered by this, because it will not give you the opportunity to revoke said wifi credentials, disconnect the internet.

In the link I posted there's a better way to turn off internet access from the device itself, in the event you don't have the ability to turn off the wifi. For example, if you're at work and don't want to have to walk out to the parking lot to get out of wifi range. :tizzy:

But also the info that you can get a command prompt from inside the system setup with shift-f10 was a thing I didn't know and may be useful in the future!

ItBreathes posted:

E: also, I guess, is it possible to compensate for overscan in windows? His TVs real lovely and you can't turn it off.

Yeah, the video driver control panels have that. Of course it's in different places for each of Intel, nvidia, & AMD...

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
If it wasn't for the Nvidia cards getting stuck in high performance mode at high refresh rate multi-monitoring (Windows doesn't), the hoops for 1080p Netflix and the constant dual-booting for random bouts of gaming, I'd be on Linux nowadays. --edit: Also, permanent utility VMs, altho they're going to Pi4s soon.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Dec 12, 2019

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018
Can I use the key from my current Windows 10 installation to install it on a new computer after I junk this one?

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Klyith posted:

Even with every privacy setting checked and every group policy enforced, there is still basic telemetry about the OS and crashes / error reports that gets uploaded.

OTOH if you have a PiHole or put Diversion on your router, it blocks all the windows telemetry uploads.

Windows will retaliate by filling your event log with ever-growing daily reports of failed telemetry uploads, 1 event per report waiting in the queue. I need to track down a list of what to whitelist because I want Microsoft to get the error logs of every time the windows store fails to update or a UWP app gets hosed up. If they're gonna beta teest poo poo on me then I at least want them to see that their poo poo's broke.

(Also clipboard history is super useful.)

If you have win10 as the host running a linux vm, how much of the vm activity can Windows actually grab? (Im still not that great with network monitoring/logs)

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Its Coke posted:

Can I use the key from my current Windows 10 installation to install it on a new computer after I junk this one?

Depends on what type of key it is: How did you activate Windows? If it's a retail/SB key, then yes.

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

Lambert posted:

Depends on what type of key it is: How did you activate Windows? If it's a retail/SB key, then yes.

It was the one I got from this, and then upgraded to Windows 10

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004Q0PT3I/

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Its Coke posted:

It was the one I got from this, and then upgraded to Windows 10

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004Q0PT3I/

You can use your Windows 7 key to install Windows 10 on your new PC.

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

Lambert posted:

You can use your Windows 7 key to install Windows 10 on your new PC.

Nice. Is there a way to recover the key from my OS? I no longer have the original CD or packaging.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Its Coke posted:

Nice. Is there a way to recover the key from my OS? I no longer have the original CD or packaging.

https://www.belarc.com/products_belarc_advisor

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Its Coke posted:

No. They key any tool will display is a generic key that can't be used for reactivation.

But you can link your activation to a MS account in Update & security -> Activation and run the activation troubleshooter on your new PC to transfer the license.

This doesn't work with digital entitlements.

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

Lambert posted:

No. They key any tool will display is a generic key that can't be used for reactivation.

But you can link your activation to a MS account in Update & security -> Activation and run the activation troubleshooter on your new PC to transfer the license.

This doesn't work with digital entitlements.

How do I find out what the Microsoft Account linked to the license is?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Its Coke posted:

How do I find out what the Microsoft Account linked to the license is?

If you aren't logging with a MS account already, it is not linked yet.

You need:
1. a MS account if you don't have one already link
2. to sign into the MS account in settings -> Accounts -> Sign in with a microsoft account instead :siren: see note below :siren:
3. link the activation as Lambert described. Then you can transfer the license to the next PC by also signing in to the MS account (siren again).

:siren: MS accounts suck :siren:
After seeing this insecure mess, I don't recommend using a MS account as your main sign in or for anything of importance at all.
But you can still do the transfer by making a new dummy account and linking that one instead.
1. right click start & select Computer Management
2. make a new user like so:

3. switch to that new account to tie the MS account, link activation, etc. then never use it again.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

FRINGE posted:

If you have win10 as the host running a linux vm, how much of the vm activity can Windows actually grab? (Im still not that great with network monitoring/logs)

All keystrokes and non-SSL traffic, at a minimum.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
My CMOS battery died before my computer decided to update, so Windows took 15 minutes to start up while it tried to figure out what time it is.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Updating computers from 2002 are ya?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

my 2014 optiplex shitbox still has a battery? i thought that was still pretty comon

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
It is, there's no other way to keep the time.

But those batteries tend to last for 15-20 years.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

oh, but that's silly, there must be a number of reasons a battery can fail other than just age?

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Oh, come on, this computer is only five years old.

It’s fine, guys.

Really.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Friend of mine picked up a laptop from Goodwill with an i7, 16GB RAM, and SSD for $40 because the BIOS battery was dead.

People just don't know how to deal with technology and trash it the moment things stop working in a way they understand.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

AlexDeGruven posted:

Friend of mine picked up a laptop from Goodwill with an i7, 16GB RAM, and SSD for $40 because the BIOS battery was dead.

People just don't know how to deal with technology and trash it the moment things stop working in a way they understand.

I find it annoying that other Goodwills even have computers, and none of mine do. :mad:

The 2 Goodwill chapters that run the stores in my area don't deal with computers at all. Some have signs saying they don't even accept them for donations.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Mine doesn't have computers either, but if you need a VHS cassette rewinder boy have they got you covered.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

stevewm posted:

I find it annoying that other Goodwills even have computers, and none of mine do. :mad:

The 2 Goodwill chapters that run the stores in my area don't deal with computers at all. Some have signs saying they don't even accept them for donations.

Apparently his has a "scraptop bin". I'm jealous as well.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

I hate how the update progress percentage gets to 100% in under a minute half the time but stays stuck there for 5 extra minutes.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
So all progress bars basically.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

https://twitter.com/simiadei/status/987386872975458311

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

IBM's install manager for AIX (NIM) has the best way to do it, I think.

At the bottom of the window it tells you % of tasks completed, the task it's working on, and the % of that individual task.

That way you don't get hung up on one of 100 tasks (1%) that takes an hour out of an hour and 5 minute process.

It's not perfect, but it at least helps with the "Why have you been at 99% for the last 2 hours?" question

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
What matters is not the estimated time it takes, those are always wrong and for all I care the first 10% can take 3 hours and the last 90% take 1 minutes, but it should let you constantly know that there's new progress being made with updated ticks or whatever, so you don't go and wonder if your PC is actually frozen at boot screen as those spinning dots just keep spinning and you wonder why it's stuck on 100% for 20+ minutes, should I reset? Should I leave it over night? M$: Something happened. Something happened :)

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

My laptop updated overnight and now my cursor keeps jumping to the right of the screen and click scrolling, happened a few updates back before and then an update fixed it, non of the googled fixes are working, cheers Microsoft

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Apparently I know someone who's related to a Microsoft executive. What message(s) would you like me to pass along? :v:

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick

Ofecks posted:

Apparently I know someone who's related to a Microsoft executive. What message(s) would you like me to pass along? :v:

Not that it would make any difference, but there are 2 things that infuriate me about MS at the moment:

1. An Azure Active Directory account cannot behave like a Microsoft account. My personal email address is hosted on a business Office365 account and I cannot use it to login to half of the MS services that let you login via oauth. So I have to have some other idiot outlook.com account as well. Given that all Microsoft employees would also have an AAD account and many would use this as their primary account, it’s dumbfounding that nobody there is as infuriated as I am to have to create a second useless email address to use half their services.

2. They spent a lot of money buying Xamarin, which provides a platform to build cross platform apps for Windows, Android and iOS in C# from a single shared code base. But from what I can tell, they use it internally for their Azure mobile app and absolutely nothing else, despite having dozens or hundreds of apps published. Xamarin Forms has a skin for google’s material ui but not Microsoft’s own Fluent ui. They build all their cross platform apps in electron instead. Xamarin would be light years ahead of where it is now in terms of functionality if MS actually used it internally to build their own stuff, but it seems to be a tool they expect others to use to boost .net adoption but not willing to dog food themselves.

Thanks for coming to my ted talk.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Ofecks posted:

gently caress YOU AND YOUR loving OPERATING SYSTEM
KINDLY GO gently caress YOURSELF AND YOUR OPERATING SYSTEM
PLEASE GO gently caress YOURSELF AND YOUR OPERATING SYSTEM

Rehire the goddamn test division, please.

edit: I should probably clarify: We, the powerusers of Windows, are really loving tired of half-baked features breaking our computers every other goddamn major release, through no goddamn fault of our own! 1809's deleting of user files when they were stored on not-C was the latest, most egregious example, something that absolutely would have been caught when sent through the old test procedures. We are tired of being the guinea pigs for your lovely OS. You clearly don't listen to bug reports when they're submitted to your loving bugreport forums, and anyone with two functioning braincells with regard to privacy has disabled datamining, telemetry, and metrics out the wazoo, so where, exactly, are you getting any kind of information on what needs to be fixed?

Rehire the loving test division.

Please.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Dec 14, 2019

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

SwissArmyDruid posted: