Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

ungulateman posted:

playmagiclegends.com/beta

the site is literally dying in front of my eyes

Oh god this is an ARC game. There's going to be fifteen thousand different kinds of microtransaction currency and it's going to be skinner boxed to hell and back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Where was this in the last Theros block, lol

Okay I guess Eidolon technically cantripped all by itself, but it also cost 4 and you still needed a separate win condition.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

okay so I'm playing GW enchantress next set, thanks

e: there aren't great enchantment wincons yet

so

season of growth + buff auras HERE WE GO

Arivia fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Dec 13, 2019

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Kurieg posted:

Oh god this is an ARC game. There's going to be fifteen thousand different kinds of microtransaction currency and it's going to be skinner boxed to hell and back.

There's character creation so I'll at least download it and make all my Planeswalker OCs

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

There's character creation so I'll at least download it and make all my Planeswalker OCs

It's an arc game, you'll need to pay $100 to unlock the race you want.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Blockhouse posted:

Judging from the preview images as well as from how these things tend to go, I'm expecting there will be a relatively narrow range of options. All the youthful human superhero body types you could want, along with probably simple tweaks to the formula like elves, vampires. Maybe leonin if we're lucky.

There will probably be good PoC and gender representation, though, so there's that.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

JerryLee posted:

Judging from the preview images as well as from how these things tend to go, I'm expecting there will be a relatively narrow range of options. All the youthful human superhero body types you could want, along with probably simple tweaks to the formula like elves, vampires. Maybe leonin if we're lucky.

There will probably be good PoC and gender representation, though, so there's that.

It depends. Cryptic games generally have pretty robust character creation.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

If this event is any indicator of the plot of Theros: beyond death it's just going to be Elspeth being faster and effortlessly stomping in Ashoik's skull repeatedly forever.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Kurieg posted:

If this event is any indicator of the plot of Theros: beyond death it's just going to be Elspeth being faster and effortlessly stomping in Ashoik's skull repeatedly forever.

what's it like living in Opposite of Reality land where the mono-white singleton aggro deck ever wins against an opponent who doesn't punt the entire game

(i managed to win one game because my opponent did not know what flying did. that's the level of player that loses as ashiok in this event)

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

ungulateman posted:

what's it like living in Opposite of Reality land where the mono-white singleton aggro deck ever wins against an opponent who doesn't punt the entire game

(i managed to win one game because my opponent did not know what flying did. that's the level of player that loses as ashiok in this event)

Hey that's not fair. I had a few games where I drew twice as many lands as my opponent and one where they played a SoFI into my board of blue creatures and then drew Elspeth off the top on a board I'd finally managed to stabilize.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

NGL throwing jewlry at dumb low power jank to make it work is giving me 1996 vibes in the best way.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I went 3-1 with Elspeth because queueing wasn't my scene. Two of those involved my opponent tapping out for no reason and me slamming SoFI.

The loss was to a guy who drew both moxen and the Recall.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
This will lead eventually to Arena Commander instead of Historic Brawl. They add these cards to the game to be used for 3 days only one time? Not saying its anytime soon but yeaaaah

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I have won my 3 games on Elspeth because I was tired of queuing, but the Ashiok deck is a lot better. It has Recall and an extra moxen in exchange for Sol Ring (and Sol Ring is not as good as usual in the Elspeth deck due to a lot of cards just costing W). There's also some awkward antisynergy with a lot of your cards not being knights and having a wrath of god effect for some reason (???)

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

There are, by my count, 9 Enchantresses in MtG including this one.

4 of them have been gold cards with white, and one of them, Mesa Enchantress, is just white.

This card should have been white. I just don't understand why a color that doesn't care about enchantments AT ALL (except to blow them up) gets this card but white getting this card would violate the color pie or whatever when white is THE enchantments color. I'm just so tired of every good white card being "A small creature with an incremental lifegain effect!" and green gets this and Henge and Innkeeper.

Like we even have the white creature in Standard RIGHT NOW that makes enchantments cheaper. WTF WotC read your own cards!

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Bust Rodd posted:

4 of them have been gold cards with white, and one of them, Mesa Enchantress, is just white.

This card should have been white. I just don't understand why a color that doesn't care about enchantments AT ALL (except to blow them up) gets this card but white getting this card would violate the color pie or whatever when white is THE enchantments color. I'm just so tired of every good white card being "A small creature with an incremental lifegain effect!" and green gets this and Henge and Innkeeper.

Like we even have the white creature in Standard RIGHT NOW that makes enchantments cheaper. WTF WotC read your own cards!

I mean in the set it benefits from enchantment creatures so it makes sense that it's green.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

This card should have been white. I just don't understand why a color that doesn't care about enchantments AT ALL (except to blow them up)

If you weren't mad enough about this already it has the same 2G casting cost as... Tranquility. :v:

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

Mesa Enchantress is colorshifted

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Green gets effect that has always been green shocker

e: to me it feels like green tends to care about enchantments in general while white is more likely to care about auras and/or equipment.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
The Elspeth deck seems so bad to me. I never thought I’d click Mulligan on a hand of Magic cards with Black Lotus in it.
https://twitter.com/boco_t/status/1205473749560156161

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Green gets effect that has always been green shocker

e: to me it feels like green tends to care about enchantments in general while white is more likely to care about auras and/or equipment.

What are green cards from the last five years that care about enchantments besides removing them?

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Bust Rodd posted:

What are green cards from the last five years that care about enchantments besides removing them?

Define cares about. There was plenty of green constellation cards in the last theros block. There's also cards like eidolon of blossoms, oath of the ancient wood, herald of the pantheon, or kruphix's insight.

Enchantresses are historically green, Mesa enchantress was colorshifted. They've made a million naturalize variations but it's still a green effect to have enchantresses. It just isnt done unless enchantments are relevant.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

What set in the last five years was an enchantment block

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

what do you think the odds are of them improving the elspeth deck via hotfix?

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Bust Rodd posted:

There's a fair few but they are all from Theros.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Define cares about. There was plenty of green constellation cards in the last theros block. There's also cards like eidolon of blossoms, oath of the ancient wood, herald of the pantheon, or kruphix's insight.

Enchantresses are historically green, Mesa enchantress was colorshifted. They've made a million naturalize variations but it's still a green effect to have enchantresses. It just isnt done unless enchantments are relevant.

Ok if you completely discount Mesa Enchantress then there are still 8 enchantresses and 4 of them are white, yes they are all green but how is this not clearly part of white's color pie?

White is a color that can tutor for enchantments, reduce the cost of enchantments, destroy or exile enchantments, recur enchantments from the graveyard, and animate enchantments into creatures.

Green can do exactly 1 of those things, and suddenly Green "cares about enchantments"?

I'm just not really grokking how Mesa Enchantress being colorshifted is a more extreme distortion of the color pie than Green suddenly being the primary color of enchantments but only for this one plane.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Bust Rodd posted:

Ok if you completely discount Mesa Enchantress then there are still 8 enchantresses and 4 of them are white, yes they are all green but how is this not clearly part of white's color pie?

White is a color that can tutor for enchantments, reduce the cost of enchantments, destroy or exile enchantments, recur enchantments from the graveyard, and animate enchantments into creatures.

Green can do exactly 1 of those things, and suddenly Green "cares about enchantments"?

I'm just not really grokking how Mesa Enchantress being colorshifted is a more extreme distortion of the color pie than Green suddenly being the primary color of enchantments but only for this one plane.

Green gets card draw from enchantments and has since Urza's Saga. White gets the big payoffs and tutors. They both care about enchantments in different ways and always have. That's all there is too it. Green has been drawing off enchantments for 20 years so I dunno what you mean by "suddenly".

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

A Moose posted:

I doubt they will but if they swapped out the Sol Ring with another Mox Pearl that would probably do the trick. The Ashiok deck is better but you can straight up kill them with the Elspeth deck by like turn 3. I went turn one Black Lotus -> Benalish Marshal + Dauntless Bodyguard, turn two Mox Pearl -> Crusade, Gods Willing a kill spell, turn 3 -> Elspeth. That's obviously the bonkers draw, but the deck isn't like terrible.

Reprint Rancor you cowards. :argh:

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

A Moose posted:

Zero

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Bust Rodd posted:

green is the colour of card draw

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Green gets card draw from enchantments and has since Urza's Saga. White gets the big payoffs and tutors. They both care about enchantments in different ways and always have. That's all there is too it. Green has been drawing off enchantments for 20 years so I dunno what you mean by "suddenly".

Verduran enchantress was printed in Alpha, so it's been this way since the literal beginning of magic.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Femerf Enchantress is a white/green enchantress on the fuckin’ Reserve List from Visions bruh, so Green has had enchantresses since ‘94 and White has had them since ‘97.

I’m not advocating for white to get an entirely new effect, I’m sad that they’ve taken something away from white that it used to have and given it completely to green at a time when white has absolutely nothing.

I would also argue that “drawing cards” is a big payoff on its own.

“Draw a card for each enchantment you control” would be a U/W card, not a U/G card.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Cactrot posted:

Verduran enchantress was printed in Alpha, so it's been this way since the literal beginning of magic.

Fair, I went purely off of what I remember playing in legacy enchantress and didnt check. More case for that being a green effect.

Bust Rodd posted:

Femerf Enchantress is a white/green enchantress on the fuckin’ Reserve List from Visions bruh, so Green has had enchantresses since ‘94 and White has had them since ‘97.

I’m not advocating for white to get an entirely new effect, I’m sad that they’ve taken something away from white that it used to have and given it completely to green at a time when white has absolutely nothing.

I would also argue that “drawing cards” is a big payoff on its own.

“Draw a card for each enchantment you control” would be a U/W card, not a U/G card.

They didn't take something away from white, that was always a green effect. White is ally colors with green and they're the only 2 colors that cares about enchantments so they get a little crossover. That's why every enchantress deck is GW based. It's a weird thing to get hung up on.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Is getting mad about White a meme or something now? I don't understand how much hand wringing and hysterics I've seen about it recently, it's certainly not the most well represented colour, but it's a part of powerful decks in Standard, Pioneer and Modern.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

fadam posted:

Is getting mad about White a meme or something now? I don't understand how much hand wringing and hysterics I've seen about it recently, it's certainly not the most well represented colour, but it's a part of powerful decks in Standard, Pioneer and Modern.

Such as? What are the good White modern decks? Or even good Modern cards? Is anything besides that one White Weenie deck playing White in Pioneer? The only white cards that see play in Standard are Teferi, Doom Foretold/Oath of Kaya on the fringe, and King Dad in Fires.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Bust Rodd is very upset that his favourite colour is not the undisputed top dog.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Jabor posted:

Bust Rodd is very upset that his favourite colour is not the undisputed top dog.

Would you say he's miffed about green being supreme, and would prefer another color have supremacy?

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

fadam posted:

White is very weak in commander, because the lack of card draw and ramp are major obstacles.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Bust Rodd posted:

Such as? What are the good White modern decks? Or even good Modern cards? Is anything besides that one White Weenie deck playing White in Pioneer? The only white cards that see play in Standard are Teferi, Doom Foretold/Oath of Kaya on the fringe, and King Dad in Fires.

At Pro Tour Guilds of Ravnica a little over a year ago there were five white decks (or seven depending on how you look at it) and zero green or black decks in the top eight, but right now white decks are just not very good in standard. Not every color is well represented in high standard at any one time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Jabor posted:

I’m a Golgari player through and through, and even I’m kinda fed up with how OP Green has been this year. I own every standard deck on Arena and I own a legacy deck (dredge) and about 8 commander decks, but only two of them are white, and they’re only white for light support cards, Hatebears, and spot removal.

It’s just dumb that white is the only color that can’t refill its hand in a game about drawing and playing cards.