Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's funny how shady British guys always have that exact accent. Is it a London accent? I'm terrible about placing regional accents

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

precision posted:

It's funny how shady British guys always have that exact accent. Is it a London accent? I'm terrible about placing regional accents

If you mean Crobbers, he has a weird melange of Mancunian and LA.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

#notacult

Its funny they go to CitizenCon to talk about being deluded about Star Citizen. Its the same as going to Korea and asking how awful StarCrraft is,

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Hi guys so remember how I said Empyrean will arrive in Warframe next year?

Well apparently DE heard me and decided they were gonna make me eat poo poo: https://forums.warframe.com/topic/1151428-empyrean-update-27/

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

precision posted:

Ahaha I didn't know about their trade-in program

That's shady af

Its insanely scammy

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Chris Roberts certainly has created an insidious cult. If he has even a thousand whales in his thrall, and each of those thousand has $20k of disposable income, that's $20million a year alone... It's basically a religion to them. Hell, it IS a religion.

edited, my dyslexia is hitting me this morning

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Dec 13, 2019

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ambaire posted:

Derek Smart certainly has created an insidious cult. If he has even a thousand whales in his thrall, and each of those thousand has $20k of disposable income, that's $20million a year alone... It's basically a religion to them. Hell, it IS a religion.

You mean Chris?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I had figured that the pledge tracker numbers are 100% made up because even with a cult of crazy nerds buying poo poo every paycheque like they're being tithed I have a hard time believing that their income floor is in the tens of thousands per day even on the worst days.

Maybe the numbers are only 99% made up and they count trade-ins as fresh income? :eyepop:

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
These SC youtubers really love Betteridge's law of headlines. Every time I see their clickbaity "Is SC scam?" questions, I already know what's their answer.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
You can make loads of money and still lose more than you earn. I wouldnt be suprised if their company finances are completely hosed at this point because theres no estimated release date.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Dogeh posted:

Looking back at that Star Wars video, I always remember Luke having a failed run, back in 1977.
But then it disappeared from the versions after that, and I became confused.
gently caress you, Geroge Lacus.

Hey, CI(notG) refactor all the time, because George Lucas refactored all the time.
It all makes so much sense.

Wait, I remember him having a failed bombing run too, after which he was prompted to use the force on the second run. Or was it the other guys that failed and him being the last one to try?
I only saw it years later on TV somewhere.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Beexoffel posted:

Wait, I remember him having a failed bombing run too, after which he was prompted to use the force on the second run. Or was it the other guys that failed and him being the last one to try?

Red Leader before him had a shot and missed. Then Luke's wingman gets redshirted and he's the only one left, because of course he is. After Vader gets sniped from behind he lines up his scanner and then space grandpa tells him to turn it off because space grandpa is senile and doesn't believe in technology.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!
AFAIK Luke's failed run was never in any of the releases, only in the novelization (which was based on the script pre edits).

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Beexoffel posted:

I think it was gold leader who failed the first run in the final cut.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man
The latest puff piece from CIG - it's all about the weather...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gn_jMmneDV8

Hmm. Another never done before achievement, snow particles. Oh, and of course, the new ship. "A relatively small ship with a massive punch".

A massive punch to the balls of anyone who ever owned the previous ship which was the best ship ever until the new one. Dear God, it's relentless.

PS: Jared must still be taking the acting classes, by which I mean he's even more obviously "presenting" in this episode - he'll have quite the show reel to hawk around when the project goes tits up, that's for sure.

Jonny Shiloh fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Dec 13, 2019

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Mailer posted:

Red Leader before him had a shot and missed. Then Luke's wingman gets redshirted and he's the only one left, because of course he is. After Vader gets sniped from behind he lines up his scanner and then space grandpa tells him to turn it off because space grandpa is senile and doesn't believe in technology.

MedicineHut posted:

Thanks - catching up with old posts I've now read similar explanations.
I have seen the original SW only once that I can remember a bit.
Remarkable how important these movies seem to be considered. I wonder if the SC 'lore' is already more text than the SW stories.

echothreealpha
Nov 22, 2019
Wonder how brexit will affect CIG's UK studios.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
I wonder what Crobberts exit plan is. He clearly has no illuisions about where this debacle is heading, since to my knowledge he hasn't appeared in any videos or promotions for this in a long time, meaning he is actively distancing himself from the BDSSE. A lot of the money from this project has undoubtedly gone straight into his and Strangli's pockets, so surely they cant get away from this scot-free can they?

Also, what happened to the crysis lawsuit?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
From Frontier's Planet Zoo Arctic DLC announcement:

:v: Are you ready for an ice-cold adventure in a wintery wonderland? Perhaps you're willing to face a red-hot challenge, in a setting that will prove the most difficult yet... Are you ready to answer Bernie Goodwin's call?

:lol:

Megalobster
Aug 31, 2018

marumaru
May 20, 2013

chris roberts is truly a genius. gently caress carmack more like carHACK am i right did he invent this technology?? huh? didnt think so
the most loving immersive space dom sim ever no game has EVER done this BEFORE

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

Inacio posted:

chris roberts is truly a genius. gently caress carmack more like carHACK am i right did he invent this technology?? huh? didnt think so

They'll have to take what they can get, poor people.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Quavers posted:

From Frontier's Planet Zoo Arctic DLC announcement:

:v: Are you ready for an ice-cold adventure in a wintery wonderland? Perhaps you're willing to face a red-hot challenge, in a setting that will prove the most difficult yet... Are you ready to answer Bernie Goodwin's call?

:lol:

And from the patch notes for the free update:

:v: Refunds have now been modified, and now have a breakdown of costs in the Zoo finance screen. If a guest has spent less than half of their allotted time in the zoo before going home due to low happiness, they will receive a refund. If an animal escapes and the guest flees, they will receive a refund that's proportional to the time they've spent in the zoo. Innocent guests ejected from the park will receive a full refund. Additionally, unhappy guests will not donate as much money to your zoo.

Frontier's zoo title has a better in-game refunds & consumer rights policy than CI!G do as a company :laffo:

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

GyverMac posted:

Also, what happened to the crysis lawsuit?
Going to trial in June 2020.

WaltherFeng posted:

You can make loads of money and still lose more than you earn.
According to their own publically released finances, this has been the case for a while. They already would be in the red if not for external investment.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Spatial posted:

According to their own publically released finances, this has been the case for a while. They already would be in the red if not for external investment.

Yeah the Calder investment kicked the can down the road until 2021. So filthy question of how long this can go on really comes down to a whether or not Chris will start quietly scaling back the size and expense of CIG at some point (SOTA style) or try to keep all of the plates spinning until the last possible moment.

echothreealpha
Nov 22, 2019

Thinks I can make out

Line 1: ....perfect timing

Line 2: Also, the BBC does .............

Line 3: I'm pretty sure they spoke to US ...... and our ......

Line 4: ... .......

Line 5: So yes, we're hosed

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Well... does anyone know if the '500 person' studio is 500 actual people, or 500 positions? They could do a lot of scaling back just be eliminating their wanted ads atm ;p

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Inacio posted:

I remember how someone programmed Snake in MGS2 to specifically avoid stepping on bodies so he would carefully tip toe over them instead.

Clearly they didnt have proper foot placement tech back then.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Dec 13, 2019

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

echothreealpha posted:

Thinks I can make out

Line 1: ....perfect timing

Line 2: Also, the BBC does .............

Line 3: I'm pretty sure they spoke to US ...... and our ......

Line 4: ... .......

To me it looks like:

Line 1: perfect timing

Line 2: Also, the BBC show. Are we hosed? yes or no

Line 3: I'm pretty sure they spoke to US marketing, not our marketing.

Line 4: hung offscreen[????]

echothreealpha
Nov 22, 2019

AceOfFlames posted:

To me it looks like:

Line 1: perfect timing

Line 2: Also, the BBC show. Are we hosed? yes or no

Line 3: I'm pretty sure they spoke to US marketing, not our marketing.

Line 4: hung offscreen[????]

Is this new or an old pic?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

echothreealpha posted:

Is this new or an old pic?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gn_jMmneDV8&t=158s

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
"It's just trolling. Nothing to see here. Move along, citizen." - average citizen

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

MedicineHut posted:

Gold were the Y-Wings (yellow marks on the hull). The pilots making the trench run were all shot down before firing torpedos.

Red squadron were the X-Wings (red markings on the hull, number of stripes at x-foils designating red 1, red 2 etc.), from whom one managed to fire two torpedos which didn't go in. He wears a gold helmet, though, so I guess you remember that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WBG2rJZGW8&t=538s

e: yes, this is important information taking up space in my brain!!! :negative:

tuo fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Dec 13, 2019

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Dwesa posted:

"It's just trolling. Nothing to see here. Move along, citizen." - average citizen

hehe, they got us good, the jokesters
just messing around haha

Megalobster
Aug 31, 2018

They blurred it out.

Looks like someone just lost his job. With how hard they have it to recruit anyone new, I guess the jesus weather system is not gonna come in the next patch. RIP

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

lol where was this posted

saw the youtube link lol

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Beexoffel posted:

Mandela effect.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Well... does anyone know if the '500 person' studio is 500 actual people, or 500 positions? They could do a lot of scaling back just be eliminating their wanted ads atm ;p

500 people. 1 position - getting hosed in the rear end when Chris decides to throw out months of your work to have it redone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Spiderdrake posted:

They did years ago

It's so endearing how you're just a little bit of a believer still in all this cynicism.

Sometimes to really find the comedy, you have to pretend that this is a real game made by real developers lol.