Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Gay Nazis aren't that weird, really. Fascism lends itself naturally to homoeroticism through the elevation of machismo.

See the early SA. And Ernst Rohm. Or just look at Futurism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
ignorant american here, so what happens with the nhs now? do you guys get the joy of deductibles and co-pays and “freedom of choice”

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
So what is the next country to be "hellworld'ed"?

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
:orks101:

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

NickRoweFillea posted:

ignorant american here, so what happens with the nhs now? do you guys get the joy of deductibles and co-pays and “freedom of choice”

Brexit !

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Posting on the Great Fire of London page.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Looking forward to you guys going back to pre-decimilisation

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Burn it all down and start again.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

It'd be nice if labour could no2 have a Frank internal review of what went wrong, cause doubtless the election campaign was extremely badly aimed

But lol its labour its gonna be a 5 year knife fight between a demoralised and discredited left and a moribund and unpopular centre

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

NickRoweFillea posted:

Also an ignorant American but my guess is that they nominally keep the free NHS hospitals and clinics open but so wretchedly underfunded that is becomes an awful experience only the poor's partake in. Then you let American bloodsucker healthcare companies in to run private care for the rich and the white collar serfs (to keep them terrified of ever losing their job).

After 2-3 decades of this the Tories will point to all the poor people dying in NHS hospitals and say "see government run healthcare is a total failure!"

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

In the fluff of 40k an asteroid full of Orks accidently lands in hell and they decide it's heaven. So this election makes Orks=Turbo-Gammons even more spot on.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

mrmcd posted:

After 2-3 decades of this the Tories will point to all the poor people dying in NHS hospitals and say "see government run healthcare is a total failure!"

This is where we are currently and it works

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

mrmcd posted:

Also an ignorant American but my guess is that they nominally keep the free NHS hospitals and clinics open but so wretchedly underfunded that is becomes an awful experience only the poor's partake in. Then you let American bloodsucker healthcare companies in to run private care for the rich and the white collar serfs (to keep them terrified of ever losing their job).

I can easily see England turning into a nastier version of Hungary.

Subpar Superhero
Nov 27, 2013

the hunger games

spacemang_spliff posted:

lol his argument boils down to "black people are better at sports and that's genetic but the PC police won't let you say black people have lower IQs genetically "

look we’re just interested in knowledge and science and we have no nefarious motives for wanting to prove that black people are genetically stupid

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

mrmcd posted:

this, but the NHS has to buy stuff from certified suppliers who are all massive gougers, becoming a money funnel for the capitalist swine is my guess

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Communist Thoughts posted:

This is where we are currently and it works

Not really, support for the NHS is very high and the anxieties people do have about it are around underfunding, not the concept of state healthcare

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

What is the main reason why a Labour supporter would be in favor of Brexit?

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Lastgirl posted:

i would much rather watch Hasan Minhaj. I have a feeling Hasan will have a segment on netflix sunday wrt to this.

https://twitter.com/GarbageApe/status/1205382661197438976

Oliver is absolutely a Lib Dem

John Oliver is fine

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

mrmcd posted:

After 2-3 decades of this

generous estimate, its under a decade easy, and thats still generous.

Good soup! posted:

John Oliver is fine

i don't mind his segments since they're nice elucidations but he's obvi a lib dem and he looks like rees-moggs~

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Lastgirl posted:

Yeah, the wealthy need to see their returns and enjoy them within their lifetimes

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

mrmcd posted:

Shocking that the nation which gave the world the humor of Ricky Gervais, jellied eels, and centuries of genocide would do this.

without colonies to dump their failsons on, they all have to stay home and vote Tory

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

from what I understand John Oliver used something in NYC property law to avoid property tax on his $9 million Manhattan home, and that property law can be traced back to Trump

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Subpar Superhero posted:

look we’re just interested in knowledge and science and we have no nefarious motives for wanting to prove that black people are genetically stupid

Murray is a man of science completely emotionally detached from his life's work of proving white people to be the master race

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

spacemang_spliff posted:

lol his argument boils down to "black people are better at sports and that's genetic but the PC police won't let you say black people have lower IQs genetically "

i think freddie deboner wrote a book like this recently

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Lastgirl posted:

i don't mind his segments since they're nice elucidations but he's obvi a lib dem and he looks like rees-moggs~

There are only two kinds of Brits.

Orcs and John Oliver.

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hail Satan

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

actionjackson posted:

basically that the eu is a neoliberal institution

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

actionjackson posted:

it's racism

or they're really dumb

or they're the mythical leftist unicorn in favor of Brexit because they oppose free trade agreements as harmful to the British working class (which they are - or rather to the subset that lose their jobs outright they're very harmful, while everyone else gets marginally cheaper goods and fun neighbors) but don't realize that the only alternative they're being offered is significantly shittier

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

mormonpartyboat posted:

basically that the eu is a neoliberal institution

I suppose I can understand that if it's accurate (?)

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Bryter posted:

Not really, support for the NHS is very high and the anxieties people do have about it are around underfunding, not the concept of state healthcare

Bojo just got a five year mandate to do whatever the gently caress he wants. who cares if they lose the next election because they privatized the NHS? they already got their money. it’s way easier to sell off state assets than to build them.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

Bryter posted:

Maybe shouldn't have voted to set it on fire and dump it in a ditch then?

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
My favorite Tory take is that now that they're free of the EU they can finally become an Empire again. Instead England is gonna be turned into a loving theme park for American aristocrats, the way Sparta was for Rome. Whats the British equivalent of Spartans accidentally beating their own children to death while patricians toss peanuts at them?

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Gay Nazis aren't that weird, really. Fascism lends itself naturally to homoeroticism through the elevation of machismo.

There was an article about this by a gay journalist in the UK like 5-6 years ago and basically men in fascist groups are about three times as likely to be gay as men in the general population. The way it was explained to me, Its a mishmash combo of overt machismo, internalized self loathing, and a target rich environment (very few women, fash converts tend to be unattached young men with a thing for bodily purity and fitness).

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

actionjackson posted:

It’s the epitome of neoliberalism

Unfortunately as pointed out, the alternative as structured was 10000x worse

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zurakara posted:

My favorite Tory take is that now that they're free of the EU they can finally become an Empire again. Instead England is gonna be turned into a loving theme park for American aristocrats, the way Sparta was for Rome. Whats the British equivalent of Spartans accidentally beating their own children to death while patricians toss peanuts at them?

Brexit

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

actionjackson posted:

the eu sucks but the hard part is coming up with something better and brexit doesnt really do that

ofc thats like 20 too many words for the average uk voter, labour or no

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

actionjackson posted:

Anti-immigrant views and the idea that the EU empowers multinational corporations and financial institutions to the detriment of national democracy and sovereignty.

Dick Milhous Rock!
Aug 9, 1974

:nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon:

:nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon:

An insane mind posted:

Hey, this too will end. We're, hopefully, at the bottom of the bell curve now and like...with Brazil, China, Poland, the U.S., U.K. my own little poo poo country all dangling at the absolute bottom of the barrel we have no lower to go.

We have no where to go other than up.

oh no

no no no

this isn't a bell curve, it's an asymptote

:unsmigghh:

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Bryter posted:

Someone should tell Nigel farage bc he seems to think moving to an insuranc system is necessary and popular

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
So what happens next. Does the EU still use baby gloves in handling this and postponing over and over for the next decade or does England just finally say gently caress it and leave and watch their entire economy collapse?