Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SweetWillyRollbar posted:

It's Japan so no tips at all.

Edit: Excellent news! Not happening!

Praise GayQueer Satan.

e - ayy, the gang tags went through.

Mercedes Colomar fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Dec 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Next week I have to do my department luncheon. The company gives my boss the credit card to take us out and everything. Last year she absolutely balked at giving a 20% tip for lunch and wrote in something low for our party of 9. I wanted to crawl under the table and die so I'd never risk being recognized again.

It's a loving trip going out with people that have never been in food service or even retail for that matter.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
In some USA states autograt isn't legal, and in others it must be predisclosed on the menu

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
If you're using a company card, it's worth asking if they can add an autograt even if the restaurant doesn't normally do it. That way it's on the receipt.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
I'm a day behind but :hellyeah: trans rights and I hope you have good support, Manuel (this thread ain't bad either)

steak bitch: we sell tbones, ribeyes and sirloins and 75% of them are well done and get drenched in A1, I hate truckers

occasionally they throw the server a $5 for me if they like my hockey puck of a steak though so I guess it ain't all bad

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
My favorite steak order was a regular who always wanted the 6oz tenderloin cut in half and scorched to ash.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

My favorite steak order was a regular who always wanted the 6oz tenderloin cut in half and scorched to ash.

Honestly? I'm okay with this, because at that point they're all in on well done and understand that it's gonna be a while. It's like inverse blue (orange?)

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Been at a new job for a little while , but had our first real busy night tonight. Feels good. I miss this.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
The monkeys paw curls. You will now be slammed six ways to Sunday each and every shift for the rest of the year.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

The monkeys paw curls. You will now be slammed six ways to Sunday each and every shift for the rest of the year.

You mean he'll be stuck in food service hell for the next decades no matter how hard he tries to claw out?

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I'm very happy to be where I am and after 10 years in the industry I'm very happy to be running an outlet for a group that owns 9 hotels and is opening 2 more in the next 2 years and expecting my boss to build teams to send out to open them

I also absolutely enjoy banging through a busy service.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
With new menu rollout, short staffing, and a sous chef calling out today forcing me to work open to close (for the third time in a month), by the end of today I'll have spent 40 of the last 72 hours at work. Give me strength.

Edit: Third time in a month, each from a different sous.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Dec 14, 2019

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

as of today i've been out of the industry for a year. i'm the senior cnc operator at my new job now, i have a health plan, and i'm using paid time off this upcoming week to rewatch star wars before catching episode 9 opening night at the air and space museum. if restaurants make you happy then keep at 'em but there are alternatives; i had no idea my new job was a possibility until a friend suggested the career switch.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Trebuchet King posted:

as of today i've been out of the industry for a year. i'm the senior cnc operator at my new job now, i have a health plan, and i'm using paid time off this upcoming week to rewatch star wars before catching episode 9 opening night at the air and space museum. if restaurants make you happy then keep at 'em but there are alternatives; i had no idea my new job was a possibility until a friend suggested the career switch.

Link to relevant space to go in a similar direction if you don't mind. I've been visiting a local makerspace and am pretty interested in the metalworking side of the building.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

i'm not really sure about any links; my friend works in design at a sign shop and asked me "you did wood shop and some engineering stuff before you dropped out, right? you should apply for the production department here" and I did. i had maybe a semester's worth of CAD experience under my belt but they were willing to train me up past that. I guess I'd say in lieu of a link, look for sign shops?

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Lurker who's not in the industry at all, but I'll pop in here to answer this:

Sextro posted:

Link to relevant space to go in a similar direction if you don't mind. I've been visiting a local makerspace and am pretty interested in the metalworking side of the building.

Pop over to the Metalworking thread. Any type you're interested in, somebody will know about, and people can answer more questions.

My area's machining, so my suggestions will be biased that direction. Youtube's probably the best place to learn the basics beyond whatever basic classes your makerspace has. ThisOldTony's probably the best intro: excellent production quality and good technical communication. CNCCookbook's also a decent intro source. For CAD/CAM, Fusion360 is your best option (free for a year for non-commercial use) and there's tons of tutorials. Modern Machine Shop is also something to follow: generally not very technically deep, but it'll give you an idea of the state of the industry and the current buzzwords.

You can also look around at local technical schools or colleges: a fair number are trying to do retraining since the manufacturing industry's extremely short on workers. I know Massachussets has the MassMEP program, I used to teach for that and it was very good, >95% placement rate if I recall correctly.

If that's not an option, then honestly? Once you've got the basics go and start talking to some local shops (I'd suggest the smaller ones rather than big mass-production places, more opportunities for growth. Look for somewhere clean: if it's clean that's a good sign.) Most of them will probably be hiring, and if you can show you're enthusiastic they'll be interested. If you've got some basic knowledge (can read simple drawings and tolerances, know how to calculate feeds and speeds, can tighten a vise, can talk about the differences between endmills/reamers/drillbits, etc) they'll probably be all over you. Probably start as a basic operator (loading parts into machines and hitting the green start button) but there's a lot of room for growth.

It's hard to over-state just how short on workers the industry is right now. A few years back, it was harder: more shops were still stuck in the mud about wanting to hire experienced workers who can hit the ground running. Now, they've started realizing that's not going to happen and they're going to have to train new employees. A lot of them are starting up their own internal training classes or partnering with local schools, and starting wages are going up.

ThisOldTony's Tips, Tricks, and Techniques playlist

CNCCookbook's training courses

Modern Machine Shop

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

I don't venture into GBS often, but I'm stuck in bed (or the bathroom) with a stomach bug and already perused all my bookmarked threads.

Anyone in a similar situation, or bored during a work slump, should check this out, because holy moly.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3906525&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

If it's not a joke, the OP is seriously clueless about the industry.

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Dec 14, 2019

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I don't venture into GBS often, but I'm stuck in bed (or the bathroom) with a stomach bug and already perused all my bookmarked threads.

Anyone in a similar situation, or bored during a work slump, should check this out, because holy moly.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=273

This one https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3906525&pagenumber=1&perpage=40 ?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=273

Links not working, at least on awful app, it may have been gassed or something.

Edit: It looks like you just linked to the main GBS page

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Dec 14, 2019

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Skwirl posted:

Links not working, at least on awful app, it may have been gassed or something.

Edit: It looks like you just linked to the main GBS page

Turn on your monitor scroll up one post

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Whoops, yeah, fixed! Thanks!

(sorry my brain can only function so much on Gatorade and chicken broth)

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

forcing me to work open to close (for the third time in a month),

I do this 3-4 times a week, is that not normal in the US? It seems to be here.

Edit: Open to close here is 10 am (set up, start service at 12) - 10-11.30PM depending on the day. Although I've done 8AM - Midnight before at a previous job.

Raikiri fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Dec 15, 2019

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Raikiri posted:

I do this 3-4 times a week, is that not normal in the US? It seems to be here.

It depends on how many hours the restaurant is open, if it's dinner only or something that's pretty standard if you also do lunch it means you're understaffed.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
The local liquor store is carrying a gin themed after Ada Lovelace, and I almost wish I liked gin

this is relevant because my prep cook is a drunk but he's still phenomenal and idgaf

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Skwirl posted:

It depends on how many hours the restaurant is open, if it's dinner only or something that's pretty standard if you also do lunch it means you're understaffed.

We've lost a bunch of staff the past month to all kinds of bullshit unrelated to work, and have been having a bad time getting new blood.

Open here is 4 am, with no breaks in service until close at around 10:30pm. Closing means you leave at around midnight. So for me, it's 6 am to close.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Open here is 4 am, with no breaks in service until close at around 10:30pm. Closing means you leave at around midnight.

Ok, that's super not cool. 20h straight must be illegal, surely?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Raikiri posted:

Ok, that's super not cool. 20h straight must be illegal, surely?

Salary!

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

Even so, are there no minimum breaks between shifts for example?

Here you have to have at least 11 hours between finishing a shift and beginning another, although I don't think there's technically any limit on the length of a shift.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Raikiri posted:

Even so, are there no minimum breaks between shifts for example?

Here you have to have at least 11 hours between finishing a shift and beginning another, although I don't think there's technically any limit on the length of a shift.

In the US it's only 8 hours between shifts, and shifts can be however long, but if you stay over 12 they have to give you a second unpaid 30 minute break (but again, salary)

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.

Mithross posted:

In the US it's only 8 hours between shifts, and shifts can be however long, but if you stay over 12 they have to give you a second unpaid 30 minute break (but again, salary)

I think my state passed a law a couple years ago saying that if a salary is below some minimum amount, then if that employee works greater than 40+x hours then they are entitled to overtime pay.

All of our lower management got raises to that minimum amount.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

That is one nice thing about the service industry - if things go south, if you're not making what you need to make, you can absolutely walk away and find a job elsewhere, quickly*. There's a software company here in Houston that has written on their careers page "Work-life balance is an overhyped perk." This same company offers breakfast tacos every Monday morning (get them in early) and a company happy hour every Friday (keep them late).

Toxic culture and trying to extract maximum effort for minimum pay is not unique to any given industry.

*this is assuming you're in a reasonably well populated area. If you're in a town of 3k people, it will be harder

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Shooting Blanks posted:

That is one nice thing about the service industry - if things go south, if you're not making what you need to make, you can absolutely walk away and find a job elsewhere, quickly*. There's a software company here in Houston that has written on their careers page "Work-life balance is an overhyped perk." This same company offers breakfast tacos every Monday morning (get them in early) and a company happy hour every Friday (keep them late).

Toxic culture and trying to extract maximum effort for minimum pay is not unique to any given industry.

*this is assuming you're in a reasonably well populated area. If you're in a town of 3k people, it will be harder

Agreed, and it's like the only real benefit of having 10+ years of industry experience on your resume. I tend to get bored of places every couple years and go looking for something different, and I usually have something lined up within a couple of days.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Mithross posted:

8 hours is a state law at best. There's no federal law governing number of hours in a day nor number of hours of time between shifts that are required to be provided. Breaks and lunches aren't federally mandated either. The only real governance is the minimum wage ($7.25 federally), child labor laws, and that hours past 40 need to be paid as OT unless you're salaried exempt.

https://www.dol.gov/general/topic/workhours/breaks
https://www.dol.gov/agencies/whd/flsa

It is entirely legal in the US to schedule someone two 20 hour days back to back with four hours between and pay them $290(minus taxes) for it.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Dec 15, 2019

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Yep. That being said, if you make people work straight through for 10+ hours without at least giving them the opportunity to eat, they're probably gonna find somewhere else to work pretty quickly so employers generally do give breaks of some variety.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Coasterphreak posted:

Yep. That being said, if you make people work straight through for 10+ hours without at least giving them the opportunity to eat, they're probably gonna find somewhere else to work pretty quickly so employers generally do give breaks of some variety.

Yeah, this isn't a regular thing and it's definitely not something that I allow to happen to the hourly employees here. Just circumstances and chance lead to this happening a couple of times for me this month and it sucks

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Whats stopping you from saying no?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

TheParadigm posted:

Whats stopping you from saying no?

I'm the executive chef lol

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Stolen from the CSPAM Pics Thread (and in my sleepless haste, accidentally reposted in the very same thread instead of here like I meant, lol)

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Mister Speaker posted:

Stolen from the CSPAM Pics Thread (and in my sleepless haste, accidentally reposted in the very same thread instead of here like I meant, lol)

Yes. I'm sure they usually do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Shooting Blanks posted:

Look I get it's exploitative and lovely but if my company is paying for my liquor then heck yeah I'll work there