Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

actionjackson posted:

As a statistician I just want to comment that an R-squared of 0.20 is not very good

yes quite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Serf posted:

its getting harder to lmao as my material conditions continue to deteriorate

It should be said i dont lmao much any more. I just assume everything is hosed and will get more hosed and we will all die to whatever new fascistic regimes usurp our standards while we sit and loving post and do nothing.

Because thats whats gonna happen.

Assuming climate change doesnt get us i suppose but yeah hosed.

Proper hosed.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

ZeusCannon posted:

while we sit and loving post and do nothing.

what if we didn't do that, though

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

To follow-up, R-squared is the square of the correlation coefficient (r) in the univariate case (i.e. one covariate), and it reflects the proportion of variance in the outcome that is due to a covariate. In this case, 20% of the variability in the outcome of turnout change can be explained by the swing.

This is why when you build regression models by adding more covariates, the R-squared always increases. A good R-squared is typically at least 0.7.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Yinlock posted:

the elites have succeeded in framing absolutely everything as brexit/not-brexit so they don't have to examine their poo poo policies for a while

i wish i could be right about things that aren't horrible for once

Valko
Sep 18, 2015
Goodbye.
I was hoping.
It's over.
No hope left.

jose ban me.

It's all over.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Brexit's not over, it's finally starting

Valko
Sep 18, 2015
How did this happen.

Do people not actually see boris.

I will not kill myself.

The stupid need to die firsrt.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Watching the twitter centrists cry about the "radical left" calling them tories and blairites and then demanding Labour go back to the middle is a pretty haunting vision of the US' 2020 elections.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

so a second referendum definitely would have confirmed brexit right

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Der Meister posted:

not sure, if you combine labour, snp and lib dem votes and green votes, I think you get over 50 percent for remain, but that assumes they would all back remain

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Valko posted:

Goodbye.
I was hoping.
It's over.
No hope left.

jose ban me.

It's all over.

hang in there comrade

you need to outlive the bastards

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Sedisp posted:

Watching the twitter centrists cry about the "radical left" calling them tories and blairites and then demanding Labour go back to the middle is a pretty haunting vision of the US' 2020 elections.

the usa doesn't have BREXIT blaring from every tv in the country

boris' win is more of a repeat of trump's 2016 perfect storm of stupid. so many things went wrong all at once

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Der Meister posted:

Sadly to say, on these results, it looks like it would have yes. Because apparently people want to 'Get Brexit Done' even though the next decade is likely to be taken up with trade negotiations and fears of leaving the withdrawal agreement with the EU without a deal. We are likely to get utterly hosed as we don't actually offer much apart from financial services which will just move camp to Frankfurt if their ability to make money is threatened in any way.

I imagine it will be some time before a party feels brave enough to run on a platform of joining the EU again.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I blame the vegan greggs

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Valko posted:

Goodbye.
I was hoping.
It's over.
No hope left.

jose ban me.

It's all over.

you gotta keep fighting bud

i know it loving sucks(i'm probably going to go through something similar next canadian election) but you can't just accept what these fuckers want to do to you

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Brexit's not over, it's finally starting

Do we know what Brexit actually is yet?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Today we are all brexit

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Stoatbringer posted:

bracksit

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
They should call it brickshit because the Brits are going to be making GBS threads bricks when they see their healthcare bill.

I'll be here all week folks

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Stoatbringer posted:

more money for me; gently caress you

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I hope that Scotland secedes

Limmy is too precious to be dragged down by the UK and he must be protected

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Dravs posted:

Sadly to say, on these results, it looks like it would have yes. Because apparently people want to 'Get Brexit Done' even though the next decade is likely to be taken up with trade negotiations and fears of leaving the withdrawal agreement with the EU without a deal. We are likely to get utterly hosed as we don't actually offer much apart from financial services which will just move camp to Frankfurt if their ability to make money is threatened in any way.

I imagine it will be some time before a party feels brave enough to run on a platform of joining the EU again.

The only consolation.

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
berxit means death

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Valko posted:

Goodbye.
I was hoping.
It's over.
No hope left.

jose ban me.

It's all over.

stay good and don't give up

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

lol bojo has apparently squirreled away a clause in the manifesto that commits the party to block any attempts at parliamentary scrutiny of any trade deals etc

so glad this was talked about during the election

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
what are the tories gonna do about the eels???

https://twitter.com/gusthefox/status/1204912514598920197

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Dravs posted:

We have only something like 50 years left until the planet loses the ability to sustain vertebrates and British society wants to spend half of it's time left on Earth with trying to leave the EU and the other half with trying to join it again. One hell of bucket list

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

actionjackson posted:

What is the main reason why a Labour supporter would be in favor of Brexit?

So I work for a union and while I live in the US and thus only have Trump to deal with I can say with absolute certainty why this would be the case. Obviously a huge element is wanting to pave a road with brown people as cobbles but for the not overtly racist people it's a simple matter of not understanding that the causes of suffering are very bad. The EU like immigration doesn't provide an immediate and obvious benefit to someone working class. Like in the US immigration is very good at making number go up, it massively increases our productivity and is super good for the capitalist class. The downside is it does have a negative aspect (albeit very small) on wages in certain blue collar sectors. This could easily be offset by economic policies to give us free healthcare, better retirement options free internet the whole nine yards but we are a guilty guilty land so we don't do that.

The result is an easy scapegoat in immigrants being the reason for wages going down and then allows the overt racist and subconscious racist to have their odious beliefs justified to themselves as survival.

It's the same story with the whole NHS poo poo. The EU is expensive so lets just use that money for the NHS. Easy peasy. What? Use the money the capitalists gain from being in the EU to do the same thing? gently caress off.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Der Meister posted:

iirc, pre-election polls like a month or two ago put leave as still having a slim majority (like 51-49 or something)

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Traditional strongholds falling to the enemy as the blue collar voters follow the siren song of xenophobic populism. I feel like I've seen that before...

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
it's pretty crazy to have watched Bojo do the "kevin spills his chilli and falls in it repeatedly" scene over and over, watch people screaming at him to his face that he's a liar and a fool, and then know that actually people were totally down with him the whole time and love Bojo and actively choose him to be their champion.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

mrmcd posted:

Out of curiosity do the Irish have a plan for if their Brexit wish comes true and they get the six counties back, but ones that are, uh, as I understand it, not in great shape economically?

Plus all the other stuff.

nobody has a plan, man.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Yinlock posted:

boris' win is more of a repeat of trump's 2016 perfect storm of stupid. so many things went wrong all at once

I mean. Yes this is true. But the Democrats response to that has been to shout about going to far left as a more progressive wing of the party tries to take the reigns. If Bernie gets the shot and then Bloomberg goes third party it's going to look exactly like this election afterwards.

Huh. The US and the UK are forever stuck in a Third Way worship time loop.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Sedisp posted:

I mean. Yes this is true. But the Democrats response to that has been to shout about going to far left as a more progressive wing of the party tries to take the reigns. If Bernie gets the shot and then Bloomberg goes third party it's going to look exactly like this election afterwards.

Actually Bernie will squish the big gulp thief underfoot and run the table

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Vox Nihili posted:

Today we are all brexit

Je suis Jeremy

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sedisp posted:

bloomberg would pull more votes from trump than from bernie, it's not the same

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Lawman 0 posted:

Actually Bernie will squish the big gulp thief underfoot and run the table

Venom Snake posted:

bloomberg would pull more votes from trump than from bernie, it's not the same

You two have far FAR more faith in liberals than I think you should.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

jammy reveal thyself