Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Can’t wait to get home and watch Bill Burr yell at something then get blasted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Owlbear Camus posted:

Ah my old nemesis, Dikk Tugarr.

I like the running gag of the flamethrower being a go-to move... that works like 30% of the time.

:vince:

The whistling birds have a 50% success rate too. Mando needs to get some better gadgets(and a jetpack).

HppyCmpr
May 8, 2011

radlum posted:

I was hoping Baby Yoda would kill the droid so the Mandalorian could be proud of his droid-killing son

This was also my hope. It would have made myself and Mando proud.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

:vince:

The whistling birds have a 50% success rate too. Mando needs to get some better gadgets(and a jetpack).

I hope instead of a jetpack he gets a regular backpack with Baby Yoda in it and gets Force Lifted everywhere

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Yeah that was a great, great episode. I hope we get to see Bill Burr's homeworld. A planet full of Massholes.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Goddamn that was good. The more the series strays from traditional "Star Wars style", the better it gets.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

HppyCmpr posted:

This was also my hope. It would have made myself and Mando proud.

I liked the Saving Private Ryan reference when the droid pops and he looks bewildered at his goblin claw like when Tom Hanks thinks he killed the Tiger tank with his 45.

Theory time. we have not seen the child successfully use the force since his rescue. i hate midichlorians but... i think maybe they stole them and took his force mojo

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Owlbear Camus posted:

Ah my old nemesis, Dikk Tugarr.

I like the running gag of the flamethrower being a go-to move... that works like 30% of the time.

I love how it humanizes him, because has a flamethrower....gently caress is he going to do, not flamethrower people?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm sure I'll think of something to complain about later but for now that was an AMAZING episode

I was just thinking this morning about how up to this point most of the characters have been generic humans, for the most part.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Jerkface posted:

bill burr's back up blasters looked to be cut down ruger .22 pistols, recognized the rear cocker

Which is a callback to the original movie as well, as Greedo's blaster was also a Ruger.

I also like that Bill Burr came within a fraction of a second of being the first person to say "gently caress" in Star Wars.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I thought the reveal that Mando did a non-lethal run on the prison ship was kind of lame. We've seen him slaughter probably much better people without remorse.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

General Dog posted:

I thought the reveal that Mando did a non-lethal run on the prison ship was kind of lame. We've seen him slaughter probably much better people without remorse.

Agree, but sets up so many predictable revenge episodes.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

I viewed it as more of a spite thing than any particular mercy on his part.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

General Dog posted:

He's a professional. He doesn't burn (heh) his bridges.

animeluva1
Aug 9, 2003

Hopefully I'll have that
problem someday.
I thought it was sweet justice considering how they tried to short change Mando. "Well imma throw YOU in the cell now, assholes. See if you can figure your way out."

Maybe Mando took into account that he and Shion did pretty rad things during the Star War. Like how people would let things slide with a previous co-worker who had a grating personality but actually knows how to get the work done.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

General Dog posted:

We've seen him kill lots of people in self-defense, but the show has been pretty clear about establishing his character development from a cold mercenary detached from the world to a person with actual ethical concerns trying to separate from his shady past. He did use lethal force in every fight and only went non-lethal when he had the upper hand to do so.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

chitoryu12 posted:

I also like that Bill Burr came within a fraction of a second of being the first person to say "gently caress" in Star Wars.

R2-D2 says it constantly

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Hobo Clown posted:

C1-10P says it constantly

Insert Samuel L. Jackson's or Jack Black's voice, and you've got your hard R Droids movie.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
When I heard Burr was in an episode I was super hoping it'd be a one line cameo at most, but he wasn't terrible. The episode was maybe the best so far and whoever did episode five needs to watch it a few hundred times to learn how to do stand alone episodes right. The longer run time giving the story more room to breathe really shows what a difference a few more minutes make.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I found the "I wasn't a Stormtrooper" thing a little meta-textual since the Stormtrooper's famously bad marksmanship is a large helping of protagonist armor and a dash of "almost every time they are shooting at the heroes it's actually part of an elaborate trap or ruse (death star escape, bespin)."

But it still lands because the Mando is certainly five cuts above the standard Stormtrooper even adjusting for movie squib accuracy and rightly unimpressed.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!
Sorry to poo poo on the hype parade, but the episode was pretty boring, especially for an episode that stars Clancy Brown and Richard Ayoade. Like 20 % of the episode was people wandering through empty corridors without any logic to it. They have 20 minutes till the commando arrives and somehow they spent 15 minutes wandering around without anything happening, and then all kinds of poo poo hit the fan in the last 5 minutes which somehow take forever.

With that being said, I appreciate all the references to the OT. Was very happy to see a devaronian.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Owlbear Camus posted:

I liked the Saving Private Ryan reference when the droid pops and he looks bewildered at his goblin claw like when Tom Hanks thinks he killed the Tiger tank with his 45.

Theory time. we have not seen the child successfully use the force since his rescue. i hate midichlorians but... i think maybe they stole them and took his force mojo

They were making his bars go down when we saw him.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeah, this episode was a huge miss for me. I loved the last one and this was just a stinker and I was goddamn bored with the single hallway being used for almost every single scene. The drawn out robot vs baby was dumb as poo poo too.

And the [spoiler\X-Wing pilots going crazy destroying that base cause they sicked 1 ship on em cause of a beacon seemed out of character. But I suppose its a distress call so they assumed it all went to poo poo.[/spoiler]

Unsure how the devilman survived - but they did show his horns missing so I guess it's a bit of a large space inbetween for some reason.

Bill Burr was fantastic with what he had though and Clancy Brown was Clancy Brown which I'll never turn down. I wasn't a fan of either Twi'leks though.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Best episode of the season so far, I think only whatever they pull out for the finale has a chance to top it. Pushed all the right buttons for me with a fun plot, good action, and everything working out basically ideally to suit my tastes. I loved Mando's sudden teleportation abilities in the hallway even when that doesn't make sense, sure sign me up I'm on board. Baby Yoda's quick little "Whoa how'd I do that" reaction towards the end was real fun too. And I liked Mando's quick aside at the end.

One other neat touch is that I've been conditioned through reading lots of Star Wars books and most of the other Star Wars media to seeing these grand displays of military force, like the big ol' battle in space over Endor in RotJ. It was pretty nice to see that at the equivalent of "peacetime" that the response to a prison break is to just toss some X-wings at it, when I was expecting a big ol murdership. It also is a nice nod towards the early signs that the New Republic isn't trying to be super military minded and is scaling down its military presence.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
In the end credits, I noticed that there was art of the T-70 X-Wing mixed in with the T-65s, that would have been great to see in action as it shows the New Republic in the midst of updating their ships.

Overall, great episode. Definitely top 3.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I didn't care for Twi'lek Catwoman

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

NowonSA posted:

Best episode of the season so far, I think only whatever they pull out for the finale has a chance to top it. Pushed all the right buttons for me with a fun plot, good action, and everything working out basically ideally to suit my tastes. I loved Mando's sudden teleportation abilities in the hallway even when that doesn't make sense, sure sign me up I'm on board. Baby Yoda's quick little "Whoa how'd I do that" reaction towards the end was real fun too. And I liked Mando's quick aside at the end.

One other neat touch is that I've been conditioned through reading lots of Star Wars books and most of the other Star Wars media to seeing these grand displays of military force, like the big ol' battle in space over Endor in RotJ. It was pretty nice to see that at the equivalent of "peacetime" that the response to a prison break is to just toss some X-wings at it, when I was expecting a big ol murdership. It also is a nice nod towards the early signs that the New Republic isn't trying to be super military minded and is scaling down its military presence.

Rebels whole thing was small self sufficient attack craft to do 90% of the dirty work. They didn't have the assets to risk sending a dick swinging Cruiser everywhere.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

General Dog posted:

I didn't care for Twi'lek Catwoman

She was a bit much in a "lol I'm so quirky ^_^" manic cosplay girl way, but that just helped sell TMs exasperation with her not having changed since their misspent youth, to me.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That was Tonks btw

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Maybe the director told her to act like a cheesy Blade 3 vampire extra and she went with it?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I liked the twi'lek tentacles in the credit art with the patterns on their bits. Really fun episode and I'm loving this retro-90s one and done story episodes we've had since the initial 3 episodes

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

zoux posted:

That was Tonks btw

Not everyone likes or has seen the Harry Potter movies. I like Tonks and liked her psycho knife-wielding Twi'lek character though.

[edit]

Bust Rodd posted:

Can’t wait to get home and watch Bill Burr yell at something then get blasted

He delivers a great Stormtrooper line in his signature sneer. Made me chuckle.

teagone fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Dec 13, 2019

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

It's too bad Bob Einstein (Super Dave Osborne) died, he'd be a perfect fit for this universe.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

General Dog posted:

It's too bad Bob Einstein (Super Dave Osborne) died, he'd be a perfect fit for this universe.

His absence will be missed in Curb next month. :(

Goddamn, I was so upset when he died.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I know we're not breaking new ground with this show and its firmly in the genre territory but I do feel like you gotta give more time to breathe between an episode where the rakish jumpstart obviously betrays the Mando and the rogues gallery who will obviously betray the Mando. We're sitting in genre tropes and thats fine, but you gotta separate these episodes or something.

I guess there's only so much you can do with a loner guy who is hopping around the galaxy and each guest star is only around for an episode.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

Owlbear Camus posted:

She was a bit much in a "lol I'm so quirky ^_^" manic cosplay girl way, but that just helped sell TMs exasperation with her not having changed since their misspent youth, to me.

So are we to believe the Mando Fucks, and when he Fucks he keeps the helmet on?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Mike N Eich posted:

Yes. Greef wanted to take Mando to the Twi'lek healing baths, remember?

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Finally watched it, I really liked this episode. Probably the most all-star cast this season since I recognized almost everyone from something else. The setting gave them a lot of scenery to chew on and they went with it.

Let out an audible "Oh gently caress!" when that second door closed on Burg. Glad he and Billy Blasters are still alive though, will be fun to see them again in some capacity.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Mike N Eich posted:

I read it as ambiguous if there really was anything or if she was just (with zero to some degree of doing a bit to mess with him) carrying a torch at what she thought should have been.

My personal take is that she made constant clumsy passes that he stonily ignored and is reverting to form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I didn’t think space Harley Quinn was particularly interesting but then again they were all pretty uninteresting generic badguys so :shrug:

Mike N Eich posted:

So are we to believe the Mando Fucks

He did what he had to do

E: I didn’t realize bug bot was Ayoade! That’s pretty cool!