Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

RandomBlue posted:

Maybe if they hadn't wasted all loving day yesterday with petty bullshit they wouldn't have needed to extend it today you loving asshats.

Yeah, my sentiments exactly. I loved near the end yesterday when Jordan was listing lines to strike like it was no big deal when those lines called for Trump to be impeached. There goes another 3 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I looked up where Gohmert's district is and that explains everything

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

actionjackson posted:

I looked up where Gohmert's district is and that explains everything

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemuel_D._Evans

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I can’t get over what a boisterous, fauxlksy hick Collins is. He’s insufferable. Even more than most of his colleagues.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

There Bias Two posted:

I have no issue with this
Ordinarily I wouldn't either, but seeing as it's the GOP I'm worried there might have been a motive behind it

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Retro42 posted:

2. All we would have heard tomorrow is "Dems pushed thru impeachment in the dead of night!!!!"

I bet there will be at least one campaign mailer that says it anyways because gently caress it what do facts matter.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

LeeMajors posted:

I can’t get over what a boisterous, fauxlksy hick Collins is. He’s insufferable. Even more than most of his colleagues.

He's a baptist preacher, so jesus has taken the wheel of his deductive reasoning faculties.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Rauros posted:

He's a baptist preacher, so jesus has taken the wheel of his deductive reasoning faculties.

Sticker on the back of his chair: "In case of Democrats wielding power, this vehicle will be unmanned"

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Rauros posted:

I didn't know that and it makes so much sense.

"MR CHAIRMAN HWHY IS IT SO COLD IN HERE AND THESE CHAYERRS...THESE CHAYERRS ARE JUST TAYRUBBLE"

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rauros posted:

He's also a lawyer(:psyduck:) which again shows that the GOP is not sending their best. Or they are sending their best it's just that they are sending criminal lawyers and not criminal lawyers.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

RandomBlue posted:

Maybe if they hadn't wasted all loving day yesterday with petty bullshit they wouldn't have needed to extend it today you loving asshats.

Yeah, I mean, you gotta call it at some point. What's funny is I bet most if not all the republicans were relieved too because who wants to play parliamentary procedure until 6am when you'd been doing it almost constantly since that morning.

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium
They pushed it late so they could all get their "IN THE DARK OF NIGHT THIS WAS A COUP" soundbite and probably one of the better calls of Nadler so far to recess until today.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Finally Trump has been impeached.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Why does it take 5 days to prepare a house vote on an item of this magnitude

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

Why does it take 5 days to prepare a house vote on an item of this magnitude

There’s a ton of other poo poo to do. Like USMCA, government funding, a prescription drug prices bill, and a ton of suspension bills.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

What would force Mitch to recuse himself from the senate trials?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Grouchio posted:

probably nothing. personally, the more they do this kinda poo poo, the more they could be hurt in 2020.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Grouchio posted:

Literally nothing so far as I know.

Nobody has jurisdiction to force him other than a 2/3 vote of the Senate to expel him.

Jaster
Nov 15, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

Literally nothing so far as I know.

Nobody has jurisdiction to force him other than a 2/3 vote of the Senate to expel him.

So if Mitch recuses, Trump is mega-done. And if Trump's even close to that done, McConnell would probably just roll over with everybody else, so basically there are zero scenarios where he recuses.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Yeah, the only way he recuses is as a canary that the GOP is going to throw Trump under the bus and make up the 2/3 for impeachment.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
What circumstances can there be to have GOP turn on Mitch? Needs more risk of Senators losing their seats but they seem to want to go down with ship

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Gatts posted:

What circumstances can there be to have GOP turn on Mitch? Needs more risk of Senators losing their seats but they seem to want to go down with ship

The Trump era has placed the ship in lava. There is no option other than bailing water from the bilge. The rats on the ship live there permanently and eventual death amongst their colleagues is preferable to self-immolation.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Gatts posted:

Keep an eye on Romney. If anybody leads a rebellion, it will be him. He doesn't like McConnell or Trump and wants the party rid of both of them.

If he toes the line, everybody will.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Deteriorata posted:

Keep an eye on Romney. If anybody leads a rebellion, it will be him. He doesn't like McConnell or Trump and wants the party rid of both of them.

If he toes the line, everybody will.
The likelihood of Republicans spontaneously rallying behind a Romney banner to take on Trump is just slightly lower than the likelihood of Assad announcing that Syria is re-declaring itself as the Crusader State of the Principality of Antioch and the Pope responding by dispatching the Swiss Guard to Damascus to assist in putting down unrest. It's alt-history nonsense.

Like who is even in this potential army of Romney? He's below water in opinion polls in Utah, and it just gets more dire when you look at the nationwide numbers.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Mitch wants to try and shelter everyone from voting or being on the record on anything. The orangutan and I assume some of the more bullshit hose members are going to want to turn it into a full circus and attempt to change the narrative from Trump being on trial to Biden on trial.

The huge problem with attempting that is while if you are in the full bizarro world of crazy all of their nonsense is somewhat understandable, the public at large especially those tuning in to the actual trial, is going to be very confused why they are not talking about Trump and instead about Biden.

You also run the risk of if they try to kangaroo court and push it through in days without witnesses and whatnot that the public will see it is a sham and that could go even worse.

The real question is why are all of these guys laying down for Trump? I honestly don't see a downside for them removing him. They get Pence who is more one of their guys anyway and can use removal to show that they stood up for law and order, blah blah. They could probably ride it to a big win next Fall in fact.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Republicans can either get behind Trump and probably keep their seats or break from Trump and definitely lose their seats. Any defections would either have to be a purely selfless act for the good of the nation (lol) or a hilarious miscalculation on their part.

Djarum posted:

The real question is why are all of these guys laying down for Trump? I honestly don't see a downside for them removing him. They get Pence who is more one of their guys anyway and can use removal to show that they stood up for law and order, blah blah. They could probably ride it to a big win next Fall in fact.

The Trump base would either slaughter them in the primaries or fail to vote entirely in the general.

Republicans fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Dec 14, 2019

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Republicans posted:

Republicans can either get behind Trump and probably keep their seats or break from Trump and definitely lose their seats. Any defections would either have to be a purely selfless act for the good of the nation (lol) or a hilarious miscalculation on their part.

The Trump base would either slaughter them in the primaries or fail to vote entirely in the general.

If the party and more importantly Fox and RWM turn on him, that Trump base will disappear faster than a boner when you Mom walked in when you were 14.

One has to remember, Republicans fall in line. Once they get new marching orders you will be amazed at how quickly they all will pretend that they never supported Trump.

Either way it is plainly obvious that they have made a very bad tactical mistake. There is one thing you could always count on previously is the GOP tactically never allowed themselves to be boxed in or lose ground in a fight. This is like sending your entire army into the killing fields for no reason. But this is Trump pushing the agenda and it will backfire spectacularly.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
I've had a lot of time to think about this. Everyone has brushed off no republican defections, even among the 2020 retirees. Not one. People have said it's so they could lock down their post house jobs or grift circuit. I find that a bit of a stretch but whatever.

Here's a question though: why haven't we heard from the 2018 retirees though? I saw an article about Charlie Dent, but that's it. It's really weird. I don't want to get too much into #resistance chat, but remember that there's pretty good evidence that the RNC got hacked and we know that the NRA was a front for getting Russian money to the GOP. What if there are dozens of em implicated in something big? I feel like a crazy person writing this, but the lockstep voting even with those with nothing to lose is super loving weird

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

Djarum posted:

Mitch wants to try and shelter everyone from voting or being on the record on anything. The orangutan and I assume some of the more bullshit hose members are going to want to turn it into a full circus and attempt to change the narrative from Trump being on trial to Biden on trial.

The huge problem with attempting that is while if you are in the full bizarro world of crazy all of their nonsense is somewhat understandable, the public at large especially those tuning in to the actual trial, is going to be very confused why they are not talking about Trump and instead about Biden.

You also run the risk of if they try to kangaroo court and push it through in days without witnesses and whatnot that the public will see it is a sham and that could go even worse.

I think the answer has to be either they are terrified of Trump's base or they're not really smart enough to figure a way out.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
So Mitch won't just adjourn the trial sine die, because it looks too partisanhe can't get 51 senators to vote to do it. Not sure if he can pull off a "no witness testimony, just the existing record thanks" but it would not be good to parade witnesses for a couple weeks on national TV to repeat again how Trump lied. Assuming McConnell gets "no witnesses", then the GOP just repeats a mantra of "not impeachable even if he did it" and Trump gets a relatively quick acquittal.

Is this a plausible timeline?

I suppose if Romney want to get in the history books he votes to convict. Trump would go insane on Twitter.

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Dec 14, 2019

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Strange Poon posted:

I think the answer has to be either they are terrified of Trump's base or they're not really smart enough to figure a way out.

But that's the thing, it isn't Trump's base. It is the Republican base. People love to harp on how Trump's Republican approval ratings are so high but George W Bush had actually the same or higher during his presidency. Only in his last year of office did it start to slip at all. So it seems like that narrative has been played on the entire country that it is somehow all Trump loyalists isn't really true nor is he really as popular in the party as he appears.

I could see them not being able to figure a way out. I understand them not being thrilled about having to remove him and trying to find a solution where they don't have to but not get destroyed in the process. It doesn't seem to exist though.

oxsnard posted:

I've had a lot of time to think about this. Everyone has brushed off no republican defections, even among the 2020 retirees. Not one. People have said it's so they could lock down their post house jobs or grift circuit. I find that a bit of a stretch but whatever.

Here's a question though: why haven't we heard from the 2018 retirees though? I saw an article about Charlie Dent, but that's it. It's really weird. I don't want to get too much into #resistance chat, but remember that there's pretty good evidence that the RNC got hacked and we know that the NRA was a front for getting Russian money to the GOP. What if there are dozens of em implicated in something big? I feel like a crazy person writing this, but the lockstep voting even with those with nothing to lose is super loving weird

It does seem odd with the amount of people leaving office that none of them have broken rank at all. Less you forget about a ton of Republicans going to Russia on the Forth of July several years ago. How no reporter has broken that story wide open is beyond me. I mean all of the members who went couldn't get their story straight on what happened. If that isn't a red flag I am not sure what is.

All we can all do is vote and get everyone around you to vote next fall. And you know get mad as hell.

Rust Martialis posted:

So Mitch won't just adjourn the trial sine die, because it looks too partisan. Not sure if he can pull off a "no witness testimony, just the existing record thanks" but it would not be good to parade witnesses for a couple weeks on national TV to repeat again how Trump lied. Assuming McConnell gets "no witnesses", then the GOP just repeats a mantra of "not impeachable even if he did it" and Trump gets a relatively quick acquittal.

Is this a plausible timeline?

I suppose if Romney want to get in the history books he votes to convict. Trump would go insane on Twitter.

Supposedly that is what the GOP wanted in the first place. They wanted to use the "not good but not impeachable" defense. I heard at one point censure was on the table. Trump lost his poo poo and demanded that he needed to be defended and everything was perfect. That will be the hill they will die on because he will keep demanding it.

Djarum fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Dec 14, 2019

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Mitch doesn't give a gently caress about looking too partisan. The question is whether 4 or so republican senators have a backbone

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Djarum posted:

But that's the thing, it isn't Trump's base

It's not, 75% of em would just move on. But in gerrymandered systems and obviously in presidential elections, Republicans live on the margins. If they lose 5-10% of their base for a cycle or two, it's electoral death and the party dies

quote:

It does seem odd with the amount of people leaving office that none of them have broken rank at all. Less you forget about a ton of Republicans going to Russia on the Forth of July several years ago. How no reporter has broken that story wide open is beyond me. I mean all of the members who went couldn't get their story straight on what happened. If that isn't a red flag I am not sure what is.

Almost forgot about the Russia trip. It's a giant red flag. I'm not even appealing to their morals or sense of duty. Surely a few of them are clever enough to see that coming out against him is a decent gamble on a post-Trump GOP revival? Especially when one foot is out of the door already. I get that they're all pieces of poo poo, generally I just can't wrap my mind around not one of them going all in on that "sensible republican" grift

Jaster
Nov 15, 2007

SubG posted:

Like who is even in this potential army of Romney? He's below water in opinion polls in Utah, and it just gets more dire when you look at the nationwide numbers.

There is no "army of Romney" of course, and never will be. I think the comment is really just that he's the canary for how lock-step this whole thing is going to be. If even Romney doesn't break ranks, ain't nobody breaking. He's in the safest possible seat (Utah will never turn on him) and is the most politically opposed to Trump.

There probably aren't any scenarios where ~20 Senators break ranks unless something completely unforeseeable and insane happens. The goal is not really removal, the goal is to just have 4 R Senators uncomfortable enough with a sham trial that a real-ish one occurs.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

oxsnard posted:

I don't want to get too much into #resistance chat, but remember that there's pretty good evidence that the RNC got hacked and we know that the NRA was a front for getting Russian money to the GOP. What if there are dozens of em implicated in something big? I feel like a crazy person writing this, but the lockstep voting even with those with nothing to lose is super loving weird
If I had to lay money, I'd bet that there are a couple that are squeaky clean because they're actually Boy Scouts or whatever, but that a huge swath of them are compromised in some way. Not that they're Russian moles, or they've been receiving briefcases of rubles or anything, but just that there's something that they really don't want getting out that they were enticed into one way or another as part of Russian intelligence operations.

Like in the NRA stuff, I really don't think that a bunch of GRU guys showed up and asked NRA leadership hey want to do some crimes, we can pay. But just think, say, about the kind of poo poo Sasha Baron Cohen can get people to do, being basically a dorky-looking dude who just acts friendly, pretends to share a lot of the same interests as his targets, and asks nicely. Now imagine that instead of being approached by him, you're approached by someone you find extremely attractive, who shares your interests, and is really into that thing in bed that you like to do. Or maybe you're a mediocre at best businessman and they're very interested in your next project and have money to back that interest up. Or whatever. And you never have to do anything too sketchy. But one day your lover really needs a favour or your business partner needs you to lie on some paperwork or whatever the gently caress. And then a) you're on the hook, and b) you're actually more likely to trust them, because, you know, now you're both in it together or whatever. And since we know Russia has actively been loving with US politics, and they've got a lot of people who engage in this sort of activity for a living....

Well, I mean you've seen these guys in action the past couple weeks. Do you really think they're impregnable fortresses of morality? That their minds are just too keen to be out-manoeuvred or manipulated by a dedicated adversary with the resources of a state behind them?

Again: this doesn't require imagining crazy super spy poo poo, sleeper cells and deep cover moles and numbered bank accounts. It's just stupid human frailty operating in an environment devoid of leadership from the top, clarity of purpose, transparency, or a general institutional commitment to ethics and responsibility. In a world where Trump and Giuliani get away with what they get away with, where they're comfortable going on loving TV and arguing of course you take the call, of course that foreign power should investigate them, Russia if you're listening, and so on, the only reason why these lapses would not be taken advantage of is if there was nobody out there willing or with the resources to capitalise on them.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
That entire process has been made so routine and standardized that it has it's own name, kompromat. Russian intel is really loving good at it.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

oxsnard posted:

It's not, 75% of em would just move on. But in gerrymandered systems and obviously in presidential elections, Republicans live on the margins. If they lose 5-10% of their base for a cycle or two, it's electoral death and the party dies

I have heard multiple Clinton-Obama-Trump voters convince themself that they didn’t vote for a Republican, they voted for Trump! And that they won’t vote R if it isn’t Trump or with him. I’ll let you guess the demographics of these people.

So I agree, he doesn’t have the majority of the R base, but he definitely had the margin keeping them relevant.

E: the other thing is that R leadership may be gambling that you get these people for life after Trump but hooking them on RWM and being the party that nobly defended their idol. Like I can’t even express to you how much this bloc literally quotes Tucker or Hannity and think Trump is the strongest person they know by standing up to so much hate and opposition from the left. They are afraid young liberals spit in their food and Antifa will randomly assault them...ok I need to stop but that is the headspace I think Mitch/Jordan/etc. know the party needs to appeal to

Crazyweasel fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Dec 14, 2019

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Jaster posted:

There is no "army of Romney" of course, and never will be. I think the comment is really just that he's the canary for how lock-step this whole thing is going to be. If even Romney doesn't break ranks, ain't nobody breaking. He's in the safest possible seat (Utah will never turn on him) and is the most politically opposed to Trump.

There probably aren't any scenarios where ~20 Senators break ranks unless something completely unforeseeable and insane happens. The goal is not really removal, the goal is to just have 4 R Senators uncomfortable enough with a sham trial that a real-ish one occurs.

Trump could wipe his rear end with an original copy of the Constitution on live television and Republicans would defend it. There is literally no scenario, unforseeable and insane included, in which 20 Republican Senators would turn on him.

Jaster
Nov 15, 2007

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Trump could wipe his rear end with an original copy of the Constitution on live television and Republicans would defend it. There is literally no scenario, unforseeable and insane included, in which 20 Republican Senators would turn on him.

I think he'd have to, like, start openly killing Republican Senators or something. Like come in with a gun and only shoot members of his own party.

... even then I'm not 100% sure they wouldn't defend it.

I think the only truly outlandish thing he could do would be to declare himself a Democrat and start pushing just absurdly progressive policies. Ha haaa Trump becoming a better person feels more outlandish than him literally committing a murder spree. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Jaster posted:

I think he'd have to, like, start openly killing Republican Senators or something. Like come in with a gun and only shoot members of his own party.

... even then I'm not 100% sure they wouldn't defend it.

I think the only truly outlandish thing he could do would be to declare himself a Democrat and start pushing just absurdly progressive policies. Ha haaa Trump becoming a better person feels more outlandish than him literally committing a murder spree. :sigh:

Thing is he was a Democrat until he decided to run for office. He has always been racist though.

I just had a thought. So a former President has Secret Service protection for life after office. With him grifting them currently for protection if a Democrat wins next fall I wonder if they will take it away due to abuse?

And even more interesting question, let’s say he is tried and convicted after office does he still have Secret Service protection in prison?