Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Mortal empires needs to overhaul the quest structure for many factions. Assassination quests and settlement sabotage quests are way more tedious in Warhammer 2 because assassins can't target army lords anymore, meaning you have to scour the map for heroes which can be hard if you're currently crushing a target faction, or your target has been annihilated by a doom blob faction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

SirPhoebos posted:

Man playing Repanse just reminds me of how much I suck balls at micromanaging cavalry :saddowns:
J is a very useful hotkey if you have lots of cavalry.
It makes cavalry disengage, run back a short distance and then reface the enemy they disengaged from. Basically a cycle-charge hotkey.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I'm surprised (Malus campaign ending) there wasn't any sort of twist. Just "And then Malus gave the scrolls to the Witch King and got the elixir recipe, the end.
Pretty fun campaign, a lot easier than the vortex for sure. Finished in 99 turns.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Broken Cog posted:

I'm surprised (Malus campaign ending) there wasn't any sort of twist. Just "And then Malus gave the scrolls to the Witch King and got the elixir recipe, the end.
Pretty fun campaign, a lot easier than the vortex for sure. Finished in 99 turns.

to be fair that's kind've a twist in that its the last thing I actually expected.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
It seems like Snikch got almost all of the campaign-level rework while Malus plays mostly like a standard DE campaign, just with an interesting start and new battle mechanics. That about right? I recently did an Ikit campaign and haven't done a DE campaign since Hellebron, anyone have more input on which campaign is more satisfying/interesting/fun? I suppose I could do a Repanse once since its been ages since I played Bretonnia.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Malus plays much like a standard DE vortex campaign with the worst parts (aka the rituals) taken out. Instead you'll get some skaven spawns near Malus every time you hit one of the scroll thresholds, but they seem to only go for him, and not try to go for any of your settlements.

But yeah, as with Ikit, it feels like Skaven definitely got the most love this expansion, though the Malus campaign was pretty fun regardless.

Edit: You'll also get some sporadic missions every now and then, but they're all like "declare war on this faction", "raze these two settlements", "Kill x amount of enemies in battle", really nothing special.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Dec 13, 2019

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Delves were probably the best fleshed out faction at launch while the Skaven were loving dire. I'm not surprised that they've gotten the most love.

Eltharion is definitely the next lord DLC since every other base WH2 faction has received two DLCs except the Helves. Grom vs Eltharion is inevitable.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I wasn't around for the launch of TWW2, but wasn't the DE's only unique campaign mechanic the Black Arks? You know, the things that people more or less didn't bother to use until they got reworked recently.
Oh yeah, and the slave economy I guess, though that feels a bit.. I dunno, passive?

Anyway, I'd say the strongest part of the Malus campaign is definitely the starting position. Rich, self sufficient starting province, an area that is pretty much all coastline, and a starting Black Ark means you don't really need to build any recruitment buildings, since the BA can follow you everywhere.
Just remember to take out those rear end in a top hat elves at the Citadel of Dawn at some point, or they'll bolster up and harass you non-stop.

Edit: This is for Vortex, haven't tried him in ME.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

The Delves were probably the best fleshed out faction at launch while the Skaven were loving dire. I'm not surprised that they've gotten the most love.

Eltharion is definitely the next lord DLC since every other base WH2 faction has received two DLCs except the Helves. Grom vs Eltharion is inevitable.

Yeah, I can't wait for this DLC, I think it'll be fantastic and breathe a ton of life into the Greenskins.

ALso, for Repanse: I'm glad I started with her since I hadn't played Bretonnia in WH2 at all. They've had a few new reworks, but I mostly like that when it comes to farms vs industry they both come out to the same effect: 600 income, and then a choice of basically +growth and peasant archer recruitment, or siege ammo and movement in local areas. Its a lot simpler than I remember them being.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I could see the greenskins getting a Waaagh overhaul where, when a Waaagh is called, you invoke either Gork or Mork and that determines what kind of Waaagh armies spawn in; either smashy Orc Waaaghs or sneaky Gobbo Waaaghs. Instead of tying Waaagh armies to individual Lord stacks, they could spawn in similar to enemy stacks during Vortex rituals and then they act as a vassal faction that either captures or razes territories.

The strength of Waaagh armies could be determined either by your Legendary Lord's level or by paying extra like with vortex intervention armies.

Keep the fightiness mechanic but decouple it from the minimum 17-unit count, as Waaagh armies are faction wide rather than determined by the size of the Lord's army. As long as the Lord's army keeps fightin' and winnin' the Waaagh continues and once it stops, the vassal faction is absorbed into the player's territory.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
If HE's are gonna be included in the next DLC I'd like to see them rework the influence and nobles mechanic a bit.
Instead of having to spam noble actions every turn, let me install them in a court or something and affect the faction in some way, like some sort of spy.

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl
So the Black Ark rework is being able to attack/reinforce ports right? Think I need another Lokhir campaign soon. Yeet out of Lustria and go horde mode on Helf-land.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Super interested in seeing who gets the next FLC lord.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Probably Dwarves or Wood Elves, with a 70% chance it's dwarves since there's a lot of elves on the Vortex map already

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Does the Empire AI ever build the Vermintide Heroes building in Ubersreik?

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"
Yeah the Blarks are amazing now. Shame it took this long to get there (they should probably have been fixed alongside the release of Vampire Coast), but I'm glad they finally work.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Broken Cog posted:

Probably Dwarves or Wood Elves, with a 70% chance it's dwarves since there's a lot of elves on the Vortex map already

Karak Zank!

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl

Arcsquad12 posted:

Does the Empire AI ever build the Vermintide Heroes building in Ubersreik?

Ooooh, that’s what it’s referencing. Yeah, seen a few of the AIs do it though.

e: grammar thingy for clarity

Kalessin ofSelidor fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Dec 13, 2019

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Think this is a very minor bug, but RoR's currently use your faction's colour scheme as opposed to their unique palettes.

Like said it's super minor, but hope it gets fixed because I'm a fan of the distinct colours they get.

Repanse is really fun as a note. You can confederate two provinces super fast and get a peasant doomstack rolling early. I'm about 50 turns in, Khemri is almost completely gone, and I'm gearing up to crusade the Delves.

Also I just got a new favourite voiceline; "One of the paladins pushed me in the mud! I am not worthy!" :allears:

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Dec 13, 2019

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ravenfood posted:

It seems like Snikch got almost all of the campaign-level rework while Malus plays mostly like a standard DE campaign, just with an interesting start and new battle mechanics. That about right?
That's kind of how a lot of the roster expansion DLCs have felt. Ikit got whatever crazy crap they could throw at him while Tehenhauin got to be a bit harder than normal.

Often Abbreviated posted:

Yeah the Blarks are amazing now. Shame it took this long to get there (they should probably have been fixed alongside the release of Vampire Coast), but I'm glad they finally work.
Does the AI know how to use them yet, though?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Anyone done the Lokhir campaign and actually taken the settlement required for his swords? Should maybe be a bit easier now since you can just send a Black Ark up there after taking out Citadel of Dusk instead of having to dispatch one of your armies.

Edit: Can you recruit from one BA onto another?

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Dec 13, 2019

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

I wasn't around for the launch of TWW2, but wasn't the DE's only unique campaign mechanic the Black Arks? You know, the things that people more or less didn't bother to use until they got reworked recently.
Oh yeah, and the slave economy I guess, though that feels a bit.. I dunno, passive?

Black arks + slaves + names + loyalty is a pretty solid number of mechanics for a base TWW2 race. I wouldn't really call slaves all that passive either. Having the choice to build tall by focusing your research/buildings/skills on slaves, but needing to upkeep that with a constant influx of them is an interesting trade-off and synergizes with their black arks. Arks weren't as great as they are now but I still used them and found them worthwhile. It's the only way to recruit abroad and the bombardments, replenishment, and slave bonuses were all solid. They were mostly just way too vulnerable and would easily suffer from unavoidable auto-resolve death.

Compare it to the High Elves who only had influence which permanently ran out of events very quickly into the campaign, or Lizardmen who had the blessed units + the aggressively uninteresting geomantic web. Skaven had loyalty and food which was a real loving unbelievable pain in the dick on release making them fairly punishing to play.

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006
As an affluent straight white male I know quite a bit second hand what it's like to be incredibly poor and oppressed.
I still think its weird that Aranessa is part of the vampire coast faction. It's like if they added Tzarina Katarin to the Vampire Counts, or a bunch of living Araby Lords to the Tomb Kings faction.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Aranessa is there because one of the writers from Dreadfleet works at CA and it was a way to bring over a pet character.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
OC do not steal

Malus Sharkblade

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Arcsquad12 posted:

Aranessa is there because one of the writers from Dreadfleet works at CA and it was a way to bring over a pet character.

Also they were really short of viable LL for vampire coast. There is a reason that Direfin is (so far) the only original character added to the game. I recall someone in CA said that GW didn't want them to pull to many characters from Dreadfleet since it was a Vampire Coast expansion not a Dreadfleet expansion.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I feel like Cylestra not being an established character hurts her quite a bit. I recently finished a campaign with her, and it always irked me how she's yelling about how she wants Ulthuan to sink every other time you click on her, yet from her backstory and questline it feels more like she thinks they're still waiting for her. The dissonance is really noticeable.

Her character would make a lot more sense if it was someone else pulling the strings, but it didn't really seem like there was.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Phallus Snarkblade :agesilaus:

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
this is the most impressive technical update CA has ever done. it completely changes the how the engine runs, its truly remarkable. so impressed.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Besides if they called it a Dreadfleet update I'd want honest to god naval battles between rotten green wood orc barges and Skaven ironclads.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

Besides if they called it a Dreadfleet update I'd want honest to god naval battles between rotten green wood orc barges and Skaven ironclads.

every time I look at honga.net I get the feels

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Wasn't there something about Beastmen sailing around on giant behemoths as well?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
How do I get Black Arks to replenish their own armies again? I couldn’t get them to do it in my abortive pre-Hunter and the Beast Malekith run. I noticed you can garrison them in your own cities now (could I do that before?), but it didn’t work. I don’t think I had Malus’ possession replenishment penalty at the time.

I hit my first scroll shipment milestone right after a costly siege. That wasn’t fun.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Oh neat. Someone put all the artwork for the campaign ships up.

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/k6yVd

Third World Reagan fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Dec 13, 2019

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Worst thing about big patches are all the mods broken so I gotta play with limp noodle magic casting.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Dr Christmas posted:

How do I get Black Arks to replenish their own armies again? I couldn’t get them to do it in my abortive pre-Hunter and the Beast Malekith run. I noticed you can garrison them in your own cities now (could I do that before?), but it didn’t work. I don’t think I had Malus’ possession replenishment penalty at the time.

I hit my first scroll shipment milestone right after a costly siege. That wasn’t fun.

They need to be in neutral seas (no ports) or a friendly sea (no enemy ports) and there can not be a storm.

And if you are malus dorkblade, you get -50% replenishment if you are full demon.

Garrisoning them is new and really nice.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Broken Cog posted:

I feel like Cylestra not being an established character hurts her quite a bit. I recently finished a campaign with her, and it always irked me how she's yelling about how she wants Ulthuan to sink every other time you click on her, yet from her backstory and questline it feels more like she thinks they're still waiting for her. The dissonance is really noticeable.

Her character would make a lot more sense if it was someone else pulling the strings, but it didn't really seem like there was.

When she died, she made a deal Stromfels, God of storms, sharks, and drowning. That's why her plan is to first drown all the high elves and then sing to their reanimated bodies. She also has a permanently captive audience if they are her undead and eternally bound to her will. She is a wee bit evil and insane, you see.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Arcsquad12 posted:

Just don't have her spit her Vampiric Corruption. I dunno, they're smart people, they can make it work.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

I dont know posted:

When she died, she made a deal Stromfels, God of storms, sharks, and drowning. That's why her plan is to first drown all the high elves and then sing to their reanimated bodies. She also has a permanently captive audience if they are her undead and eternally bound to her will. She is a wee bit evil and insane, you see.

It's important to note that Stromfels is almost certainly just an aspect of the elven god Mathlann. Mathlann is a Cytharai, one of the elven underworld gods, who draws power from elves who die by drowning, so he's cut the deal to try to make sure more elves drown. There's a reason that among the high elves, only the sea guard worship him: he's treacherous and cruel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
That reminds me that I need to do a Direfin game again. I always start it, do the skeggi/norsca thing and then wind up in a hellwar against Mazdamundi and then the rest of Lustria for the next 50 turns as I fight off attackers from all sides. Next time I just need to gently caress off turn one and go to gently caress with the high elves and take over Lothern.