Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Infinite Karma posted:

made Egghead a Communist.

This bit had me in stitches. "Aiiiigghhh!" You think that means it worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Narrative Designer for Outer Worlds seems really happy Disco Elysium won everything it was up for.

https://twitter.com/keightdee/status/1205346245197230081?s=21

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Every obsidian employee I've seen talking about DE is somewhere on a continuum between loved it and loved it and inspired by it. Outer worlds definitely isn't for me but ultimately this is a strong sign their hearts are in the right place

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

No Mods No Masters posted:

Every obsidian employee I've seen talking about DE is somewhere on a continuum between loved it and loved it and inspired by it. Outer worlds definitely isn't for me but ultimately this is a strong sign their hearts are in the right place

Outer Worlds felt more rushed than anything else, you can see they wanted to do some stuff but had to compromise for the Cliff's Notes version of it.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Outer Worlds felt the video game equivalent of a first draft, it was just an empty skeleton with no meat on its bones.

Also it felt like it would have better off if it shot for more being like Mass Effect instead of Falllout.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Dec 13, 2019

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

bobtheconqueror posted:

This bit had me in stitches. "Aiiiigghhh!" You think that means it worked.

Good morning, comrade! Harder core!

Greaseman
Aug 12, 2007

Studio posted:

Is there a list of instant game overs in Disco (No Endurance/Psych loss)?

I know you can shoot yourself, shoot Cunoness. Any others?

Late, but if you fail at shaving you can double down on trying to shave anyway and kill yourself.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Infinite Karma posted:

I had a high Shivers (but not cheating-high), and I told them that they couldn't make it a drug lab, they have to just make it a dance club, I never got those Shivers passives. I also got in deep with all the ravers, made the music so hard core that they all were on board, and danced my goddamn heart out to the sounds of nothingness, and made Egghead a Communist. Also, I sabotaged Evrart's plans to condemn and rebuild by getting the drunks to sign his petition instead of the actual residents which might have influenced it. Maybe they will succeed?

I did all of that (except for communism which is bad) with a Shivers of 10-11 and got those passives throughout. Shivers doesn’t just speak up at the end of the questline; the very first time I spoke to Andre it was chiming in to say “this will not succeed”, then said the same again once I’d made the beat as *hard core* as it could get

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Let me remind you of this thing, and of Kim's thing that you will only grasp if you fail the dance church situation

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

If there were an award for "Most Professional Video Game Sidekick" Kim wouldn't show up to receive it, because he'd be too busy getting poo poo done to be distracted.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Big Mad Drongo posted:

If there were an award for "Most Professional Video Game Sidekick" Kim wouldn't show up to receive it, because he'd be too busy getting poo poo done to be distracted.

He's a goddamn saint.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

DO IT FOR HER from the simpsons but it's our hero in the chair and the board says DO IT FOR KIM

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

Disco Elysium: Do it for Kim

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Ancient Lizard Brain: Don't forget, you're here forever

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

sooooooo many rear end in a top hat cop playthroughs have probably been derailed totally by the player getting gunshy about disappointing Kim

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

sooooooo many rear end in a top hat cop playthroughs have probably been derailed totally by the player getting gunshy about disappointing Kim

I'm playing a toxically masculine rear end in a top hat ubercapitalist drug tragedy but I am not gonna be a racist to Kim, and I am gonna have his back.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Epic High Five posted:

Presenting fairly reasonable consequences for being a total jackass instead of making it 'cool' or about 'doing what has to be done' is a bold move that I applaud this game for.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Epic High Five posted:

DO IT FOR HER from the simpsons but it's our hero in the chair and the board says DO IT FOR KIM

https://twitter.com/RadicalBoganism/status/1197662332832215040?s=19

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

perfection

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Don't forget, you're him forever

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Night10194 posted:

Presenting fairly reasonable consequences for being a total jackass instead of making it 'cool' or about 'doing what has to be done' is a bold move that I applaud this game for.

This. It mirrors consequences in the real world of being socially ostracized, and plays on the real fear of losing your connections to other people because you're an enormous prick.

I have no idea if this actually gets through to people who actually believe these things though.

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

I wish I could hug a picture.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Warmachine posted:

This. It mirrors consequences in the real world of being socially ostracized, and plays on the real fear of losing your connections to other people because you're an enormous prick.

I have no idea if this actually gets through to people who actually believe these things though.

It doesn't if that Steam review posted a while back is any indication (the one by the person with an extremely racist username that complained that the racists in the game are "treated unfairly" and that the game should be more "neutral"). But hey, gently caress them.

I kind of think of going fascist in this game in the same way as the genocide route in Undertale - it exists so you can choose not to do it. It's in there, and if you want to be a fascist the game will let you be a fascist, but you won't find it rewarding, because being a fascist is all about alienating everyone around you except for other fascists. But by having it in there, it makes the other choices more meaningful.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

no fascist playthrough is funny. and undertale genocide route had the best fights

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I feel it’s way better done than undertale in terms of the sociopath route being more truly repulsive. But I respect your right to feel differently and cheers to you

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

I feel it’s way better done than undertale in terms of the sociopath route being more truly repulsive. But I respect your right to feel differently and cheers to you

Part of this is probably just because of the nature of Disco Elysium being aimed at a more mature audience there's no allegory here. You are playing an unrepentant racist if you go down this path - sure the "races" themselves are fictionalized but only in the sense that the names are changed to avoid using real racial slurs (the devs do seem to be sensitive about this even in a game that is not afraid of being politically charged - hence also the censoring of the f-slur). The nature of the racism is on full display and 100% in-line with real world racist beliefs. Again, I think having it be like this is important because it makes choosing not to do it more meaningful. It's easy to be a good person in a game where being a good person is the only option presented.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
I think the line that gets me the most in the game is talking to Little Lily in the fishing village. It's such a simple thing, but god.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
Detective Kuno best partner you pigs.

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

The scene with Lily was the most wholesome thing ever and made my heart go warmer than it's been in so long.

Skelicopter
Feb 19, 2013

More like Prince Alarming
So Harry definitely used the Horrific Necktie to try to hang himself pre-blackout, right? That’s why it’s Horrific, and the most talkative item of clothing in the game, and why Inland Empire hates it so much. It’s also why Harry sees visions of himself hanging in the corpse’s place (and why he wakes up directly under the ceiling fan).

It’s never spelled out in-game, and I’ve not seen anyone mention it here. I don’t know if that’s because it’s too obvious and doesn’t need to be said, or not obvious at all.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Skelicopter posted:

So Harry definitely used the Horrific Necktie to try to hang himself pre-blackout, right? That’s why it’s Horrific, and the most talkative item of clothing in the game, and why Inland Empire hates it so much. It’s also why Harry sees visions of himself hanging in the corpse’s place (and why he wakes up directly under the ceiling fan).

It’s never spelled out in-game, and I’ve not seen anyone mention it here. I don’t know if that’s because it’s too obvious and doesn’t need to be said, or not obvious at all.

Oh poo poo

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

Skelicopter posted:

I... wait. :stonk:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

e: ironic then how many Harrys are killed trying to get the tie off the fan

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

I dunno the whole Measurehead bit is pretty funny, partly because Measurehead himself is a victim of his own Advanced Race Science. Also *HAM SANDWICH RACE* is loving hilarious.

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

Dreylad posted:

I dunno the whole Measurehead bit is pretty funny, partly because Measurehead himself is a victim of his own Advanced Race Science. Also *HAM SANDWICH RACE* is loving hilarious.

I'm not gonna lie, I couldn't understand half of what that stupid rear end in a top hat was saying, what the hell was the ham sandwich thing about?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Neuronyx posted:

I'm not gonna lie, I couldn't understand half of what that stupid rear end in a top hat was saying, what the hell was the ham sandwich thing about?

Measurehead's racist views essentially boil down to the notion that the "european" race in their world has fallen into weakness and degeneracy, which is the reason they no longer control the entire world. Consumerism and pleasure seeking behaviour (like alcohol consumption) have voided their right to be the master race, and now is the time of measurehead's superior, stronger Semenese race, people purified by hardship and toil.

The Ham Sandwich thing is just a food based slur, like slurs about watermelons or rice are in ours. White people eat ham sandwiches lol. But it also carries connotations of being supremely bland and uninspired, which gives it a little extra bite as an insult.

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

Reveilled posted:

Measurehead's racist views essentially boil down to the notion that the "european" race in their world has fallen into weakness and degeneracy, which is the reason they no longer control the entire world. Consumerism and pleasure seeking behaviour (like alcohol consumption) have voided their right to be the master race, and now is the time of measurehead's superior, stronger Semenese race, people purified by hardship and toil.

The Ham Sandwich thing is just a food based slur, like slurs about watermelons or rice are in ours. White people eat ham sandwiches lol. But it also carries connotations of being supremely bland and uninspired, which gives it a little extra bite as an insult.

LOL, oh wow now that I get it that's pretty loving funny. Kind of creative, it's nice to see. If somebody called me a ham sandwich, I mean it'd be a slur which is always bad but I don't know if I could be mad at it, it's too good.

Are Semenese supposed to be generalized Asian peoples?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Neuronyx posted:

LOL, oh wow now that I get it that's pretty loving funny. Kind of creative, it's nice to see. If somebody called me a ham sandwich, I mean it'd be a slur which is always bad but I don't know if I could be mad at it, it's too good.

Are Semenese supposed to be generalized Asian peoples?

I think that's Samara, which has fantasy communist china. The Semenese are the native inhabitants of the insulindian isola that Revachol is the capital of. So they're a sort of stand in for all colonised people, black/indian/polynesian.

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

Reveilled posted:

I think that's Samara, which has fantasy communist china. The Semenese are the native inhabitants of the insulindian isola that Revachol is the capital of. So they're a sort of stand in for all colonised people, black/indian/polynesian.

Ohhh okay, thanks a lot for clearing that up! Geez it's weird, this game fried my loving brain at first but by the end of the game, and now the start of my second playthrough, I actually understand most of it quite well, thanks in part to people like you anyway, lol. It just blows my mind that it took a video game to teach me more of communism and fascism than any other source has. 'Bourgeoisie' and 'proletariat' are now a couple of my favorite words!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Wasn't the Insulindian isola unpopulated when it was discovered, or am I misremembering something?