Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Then they should updare currency again. But instead of just coins anything can develop into a currency. This includes chicken nuggets, or helmets, or ladders .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Hihohe posted:

Then they should updare currency again. But instead of just coins anything can develop into a currency. This includes chicken nuggets, or helmets, or ladders .
A masterwork bin of chicken fries could clean out an entire caravan. Even the dew of a chicken fry could clean out the elves.

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

Yes dwarf fortress can tell stories of unspeakable horror, but it also generates little friendships between a dwarf and her beloved pet cat, who produce feelings of contentedness towards each other. :3:

Like any piece of art, the medium reflects back upon the maker. So it's you that may need counseling, not toady. :getin:

eszett engma
May 7, 2013
I once had a fortress where a dwarf was walking along the top of a wall when some invaders showed up, and got shot and killed there. For years after, that dwarf's pet cow would go up to that spot occasionally and linger there for a while.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Hihohe posted:

Help, my currency is on the anvil standard. Economy has ground to a standstill.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

DalaranJ posted:

Help, my currency is on the anvil standard. Economy has ground to a standstill.
Get on the silver hammer standard. It’s inflationary.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
To: Support@bay12.com

Subject: Charcoal became money

Body: my dorfs made charcoal money now everyone is poor and whole fort is riots please advise

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Imagine what a magma currency would do for your fort.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
This moneys burning a hole in my pocket

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Stocks are really hot right now

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
The market will inevitably cool and contract though

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

reignofevil posted:

To: Support@bay12.com

Subject: Charcoal became money

Body: my dorfs made charcoal money now everyone is poor and whole fort is riots please advise

Gathering Plants $200
Mining $150
Workshops $800
Charcoal $3,600
Playing make believe $150
someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my dwarves are haggard and drawn due to the tremendous stress placed on them

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Dwarf Fortress...but with Bitcoin

:iit:

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Excelzior posted:

Dwarf Fortress...but with Bitcoin

:iit:

code:
Dwarf Pirate Roberts cancels action: use ASIC: interrupted by fire

Carl Mark Force IV cancels mine, interrupted by heatstroke

Giant Kea steals Legendary Bitcoin Wallet

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The coins literally bite you.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Mount Gox is a real place on every map with extra hard caverns underneath.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Takes No Damage posted:

Mount Gox is a real place on every map with extra hard caverns underneath.

And it will randomly disappear from the world.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
so stupid question, but if you edit the raws so that your dwarven civs don't give a poo poo about butchering sapients, does that affect trauma any? do they still treat sapient bodies as traumatic or is it just the same as seeing a random animal corpse?

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

I've been playing DF for the first time in ages and am currently playing around with the mission system. I sent a full squad over to raze a goblin settlement nearby, but a few of them managed to get themselves captured...and then I instantly get a notification that one of my captured dwarves has ascended to be the leader of the goblin site. Did my dwarf somehow manage to kill the goblin chief in some bizarre trial by combat, or what happened?

When my fortress later went to hell and I decided to abandon it I amused myself by first drafting every single citizen into a rag-tag militia and sending them to invade the dwarf-led goblin settlement to see if I could trigger any more fun events. They all got slaughtered, and by the report it looked like they only faced off against other dwarves, no goblins at all. :confused:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Goblins like to bolster their numbers by kidnapping babies from other civs. Sometimes that can lead to weirdness like Goblin settlements with no Goblins at all.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
I kind of still have the ambition to end the age of goblins but looking at legends mode I don't think it's too likely. over 10k goblins in a tiny world with only about 800 dwarves, 600 some humans, and less than 150 elves. Goblin ranks are bolstered by nearly 3k ogres(!) and just as many trolls. At most I get about 120 or so invaders per siege, and I'm sure they breed faster than that.

Raid missions are cool, as it drives out goblins from hillocks and pits to be filled up with dwarves or humans, but then an old retired fort gets overwhelmed by 3000 goblins invading. (Though to the dwarves credit, they lost about a 1/4 of their number in the assault)

Any suggestions? Only thing I think can even slightly slow it down is getting lucky in adventure mode and decapitating the two demons leading their respective goblin civilizations.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Drakenel posted:

Any suggestions? Only thing I think can even slightly slow it down is getting lucky in adventure mode and decapitating the two demons leading their respective goblin civilizations.

I'm also curious if there's a good answer to this one.

Do Dwarves bring their wardogs on campaign with them? Maybe you could breed a ton of those to make some headway.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
It's been my experience that goblins reproduce and kidnap prolifically as gently caress, meaning that in any world where goblins gain the upper hand, they basically keep it forever unless some ungodly nightmare of a megabeast decides to build a nest directly in the middle of their civ. This is true even when the demon general dies; it isn't the source of their explosive population growth, after all.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Captain Cappy posted:

Do Dwarves bring their wardogs on campaign with them? Maybe you could breed a ton of those to make some headway.

They do on raids, I notice. And they seem to do ok. Watched them kill some dwarf slaves in overrun hillocks, though I've no idea how well they'll do in mass battles.

Course, it'd help if I didn't utterly suck at fortress defense. I'm so lazy in planning out elaborate traps that I'm getting the 120 goblin sieges before I even finish the half assed bridge activated pit trap. Now I'm threatened with a possible tantrum spiral from the sheer cleanup. (Note I only lost 5 of my 40 warriors for what was basically a useless trap. Don't think I lost any dogs, surprisingly.)

I'm half tempted to just post up my fort and let smarter goons tell me what I'm doing wrong.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Is there any ETA on the next version?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Far away. He's still putting in major features.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Well I got through my first goblin siege without ~too~ much trouble, and I've already eradicated two separate were-outbreaks in other games, surely my army of 40 career soldiers will be able to paste this Forgotten Beast in short order...

You know what? I was tired of that messy rear end fort anyway. I'm'a build a better one somewhere else :colbert:

I'm still watching duckbro's DFTUT videos from 2015 and learning tons with each one. Think next time I'll lay off on the alt+w shortcut and do more through the Manager. And how come I never see guard towers? Seems like it would be pretty straightforward to make a cylinder of walls a few zlevels up then paste a floor and a roof at the top for your snipers. If you made the only access from underground wouldn't they be pretty safe as well?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

These visitors are so annoying sometimes.

I got an early visit from a necromancer with zombies before my military is ready. No problem, we're self-sufficient for food and bronze so I'll just wall off the entrance while I train and equip some soldiers. Who cares if it takes a year, we'll be fine. Worked great except, unlike caravans, visitors don't stop coming. Every few weeks another bard or adventurer shows up and gets murked by zombies. Luckily the necromancer seemed to gently caress off early, so at least the dead aren't continuously being raised. The adventurers make a few zombie kills, but not as many as I'd hoped. After nearly a year I'm ready to open the gates and send out my crack military, who take out the remaining zombies without much trouble. Yay!

Then everyone's stress levels skyrocket as they go encounter the dozens of corpses strewn all over the mountain. :argh:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Takes No Damage posted:

And how come I never see guard towers? Seems like it would be pretty straightforward to make a cylinder of walls a few zlevels up then paste a floor and a roof at the top for your snipers. If you made the only access from underground wouldn't they be pretty safe as well?

They work, but not as well as you'd hope. Only the bowmen who can see the enemy will shoot at them, so if you try to station a squad up there half of them will be on the wrong side of the room or in the stairwell in the level below and do nothing. Height is not an intrinsic advantage in DF, so the enemy bowmen on the ground will be murdering your dudes at the same time, especially if your crossbow squad is all in leather armor. Building fortifications provides some protection, but again not as much as you might expect from historical examples. And I'm not sure exactly how it happens, but it seems like sometimes your dudes will try to dodge incoming arrows and dodge through the fortifications then fall to the ground and get beat up by melee enemies.

Your dudes soon run out of bolts and go looking for more, or just stand there uselessly, or try to find a way to path to the enemy for melee. Putting bolt stockpiles in the towers might help.

If you try it, make sure you build your towers from blocks, not raw stone. Block walls are smooth and harder to climb than those made with raw stone (also lighter so the hauling goes faster). Oh, and continually clear any trees that grow near your towers so ninjas don't just climb the trees to get over your walls. Trees suck.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

So my squad of crack marksdwarves charged out to try to beat an invading human army to death with their crossbows despite having a stockpile of 1000+ bolts within arms reach, quickly followed by my squad of infantry who for some reason decided to leave their armor and weapons in the barracks and deal with the enemy cavalry by anemic punching.

End result: 50+ casualties, most of whom are now rotting in the main hallway and causing a permanent miasma. :smithicide:

Would it be a viable strategy to just ignore the military and focus heavily on traps instead? Possibly reinforced by an archer squad that actually shoots at things.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Siljmonster posted:

Cooking really should have an overhaul now. Gotta get that crispy chicken tenders for my dwarfs.

You know what would be neat? If kitchens were changed to work a bit like taverns and hospitals where you can assign local storage chests that Dwarves will keep stocked. You'd be able to force the kitchen to only use materials in its designated stockpile and let a cook make batches of 10 meals. So if one meal right now costs 1 ingredient then the cook would be able to input 10 *different* ingredients but the entire batch of meals gain a boost in thoughts based on the variety of the inputs.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Demiurge4 posted:

So if one meal right now costs 1 ingredient then the cook would be able to input 10 *different* ingredients but the entire batch of meals gain a boost in thoughts based on the variety of the inputs.

This would just make the mood description screen fill up because it has to mention all the 10 separate times Urist felt ecstatic from eating a dog liver kitten meat plump helmet giant echidna meat goat fat turkey spleen spinach leaf flying squirrel gut horse liver pie.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Traps are great! And also terrible. Some of this might be out of date.

Stonefall traps: Mostly useless, unless that has changed in the last few years. Everything dodges the boulder, and getting hit with a boulder doesn't hurt much anyway. They only fire once and then need to be reset by a mechanic.

Cage traps: Super effective! Anything that isn't trapavoid will be caught by a cheap cage trap. But like stonefall traps after each firing they need to be reset by a mechanic hauling another cage out there. Invasions eventually get big, so you may need 100+ traps to catch everything. Then you have to deal with a bunch of caged enemies and it's annoying. On the plus side hauling cages around doesn't cause stress, unlike corpses.

Weapon traps: weapon traps reset on their own after a while, so potentially can hit more than one member of an siege, and then maybe hit them again when the survivors retreat. You really need to talk about melee and ranged separately though.

Melee weapon traps: You can have up to 10 weapons per trap so a single trap can get multiple hits and even a good dodger has trouble dodging all of them. I used to love filling them with obsidian swords, but these days obsidian isn't much good against targets in armor. You need steel, or at least iron/bronze if you want them to be much good against armies.
Downside: CHUNKS! Each enemy killed by weapon traps will generate multiple stressful hauling jobs.
Downside: JAMS! A weapon trap can randomly get jammed, out of service until a mechanic goes and fixes it. Back when I used them there was speculation about the quality of the mechanism or the number of weapons affecting the jam rate but I dunno.

Crossbow weapon traps: Super effective! You can have 10 bolts fire at a single target at once at close range, so you usually get at least a couple hits. Then they reset and do it again. Even with armor the chance of a hit seemed pretty good, and a stuck-in bolt will cause pain and slow the enemy down. An enemy killed by bolts is usually in one piece for easy hauling! And since the weapon itself never interacts with the target they never jam.
Downside: AMMO! Each crossbow in the trap will have it's own stack of bolts, and as you know a random stack can be as small as 1 bolt. Idiot mechanics will happily grab a single bolt, even if you have plenty of full stacks of 25. If any one of the crossbows in the trap runs out of ammo, all of them stop firing until that one is restocked. And that one might be restocked with another "stack" of a single bolt. So in practice they often fire once and then quit for the rest of the siege. You can get fiddly and forbid any non-standard size stacks when you build crossbow traps, it's just a pain in the rear end.

Mixed weapon traps: NO. Downsides of both. Altogether terrible in every way.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

From your description it sounds like mixing a single crossbow into a weapon trap that otherwise has nine iron spears or whatever would be a solid play.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Nessus posted:

From your description it sounds like mixing a single crossbow into a weapon trap that otherwise has nine iron spears or whatever would be a solid play.

The problem is that it jams like any other melee trap -- the crossbow won't fire if the spears are jammed. Likewise if the crossbow runs out of bolts the 9 spears won't fire either.

The greatest protection against jams/ammo might be to have hundreds of traps each with only a single weapon. Never tried it though.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

fffff quote is not edit

edit: forgot about the spike traps linked to a manual lever on repeat. They seem fine. I don't remember them ever getting jammed. So it's just a matter of having them all hooked up to a lever and then your dwarfs not all flaking out and refusing to continuously pull the lever when you need them. A downside is that they hit everything, including your own dudes, pets, visitors, etc. As long as somebody is pulling the lever whatever walks over them gets hurt.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Covering every square meter of outside land with upright spike traps, filled with green glass spikes, all connected to one lever, is a fine dwarven tradition

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Comrade Koba posted:

This would just make the mood description screen fill up because it has to mention all the 10 separate times Urist felt ecstatic from eating a dog liver kitten meat plump helmet giant echidna meat goat fat turkey spleen spinach leaf flying squirrel gut horse liver pie.

You'd just name it after the first ingredient. Maybe index ingredients somewhat so they have 'types'. Bread is a primary ingredient, liver is a secondary, etc.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
It's been a long time since I played, so I don't know if this is still true but the ultimate trap is a long snaking retracting bridge hooked to floor triggers. At first it can just splat them into a pit, but then you can grab some lava to dispose of the bodies/miasma for you.

Then I built a lava / water system that made obsidian and let me recover the melted metal while disposing of the garbage.

Perfectly efficient system for goblin recycling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Yeah, the dwarven military is almost an optional challenge of its own, it can be very fiddly to get everything running smoothly, and even then you'll have to micromanage a fort extremely carefully to prevent everyone going insane from fatigue and stress and corpse-hauling eventually, although that is also a fairly natural stopping point to determine the lifespan of a fort.

For traps, they sort of fall into three general categories: ersatz traps like retractable bridges and flooding chambers, by-name Traps that are set up by a mechanic, and then Dwarven Folly.

Makeshift traps tend to be the most efficient; using lava to destroy invader corpses while leaving goblinite, using water to flush corpses away, or simply dropping everything down a bottomless oubliette as it tries to cross a bridge all completely avoid the fiddly nature of proper traps and the corpse-hauling problems of using a military. If you want a fort for any other reason than playing with and optimizing your military/dwarven stress management, it's useful to have SOME kind of trap of this nature at your entrance.

Traps proper were covered above in good detail; it's worth mentioning that boulder traps aren't worthless, per se, but they are definitely the most basic, bottom-rung option. You have to devote weapons to weapon traps, spikes and some kind of additional operating mechanism to spike traps, and cages and cage-hauling to cage traps, with a fresh empty cage each time. All you need for a boulder trap is one rock for a mechanism and one rock to load it with, and the dwarves will handle reloading that boulder automatically after it fires. While boulder traps are mostly useless against soldiers, who can dodge or block with a shield, and tend to wear helmets, they can absolutely do a number on many wild creatures that activate them, often disabling them or killing them outright. It is therefor an option to rely on boulder traps for early wildlife defense, especially for breaching the caverns, but they won't stop large hordes, forgotten beasts, most soldiers, etc, so you would ideally switch them out for better options later on. They're also a potentially inexpensive way of softening up berserk dwarves who failed a mood, if you have them set up in workshop areas. dwarffortress.txt

Finally, you can always try out more esoteric options, but those tend to be labor-intensive and will generally be the entire focus of any fort that chooses to employ them. Minecart shotguns, forgotten beasts with ranged attacks, creating 'natural' cave-ins by combing water and magma to make suspended obsidian, etc.

Shady Amish Terror fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Dec 17, 2019