Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I’d give Evan Williams Single barrel a shot! Pretty low proof, and historically has been one of the less ‘bitey’ bourbons. Great bang for your buck too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

nwin posted:

So my goal is to find something I can drink on its own. Not sure if it’s possible but the smoother the better, and by smooth I mean “not burning all the way down”.

For me it was Wild Turkey 101. It seems counter intuitive because it's a little higher proof but I've found the proof matters less than the quality of the bourbon and nobody blends bourbon better than the Russells, well maybe Jim Rutledge but that's arguable. Feel free to add an ice cube. Four Roses Small Batch, 1792, and Elijah Craig 12 are good choices. Also the OP has some general recommendations you might want to look at.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Looking for a recommendation. I've decided that Talisker Distillers Edition is the Nectar of the gods. I'd like to find other bottles in that wheelhouse.
That Talisker is literally the best spirit I've ever enjoyed and want more like it. I have NOT had anything else from Talisker and will likely grab the 10 and 18 but what else?
The combination of sweet, brine is smoke is truly amazing

The Talisker DE gets the sweeter notes from the finish in Sherry Casks, from memory it's about 18 months. Talisker Port Ruighe is Talisker finished in Port Pipes, cheaper than the DE and may be worth a punt. Alternatively, look at the Lagavulin DE, more smoke and a bigger mouthfeel or a Sherry casked/finished Springbank.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

DoctaFun posted:

Glendronach 18 is fantastic, and the stuff you can buy right now is actually more like 24 years old even though it’s labeled as an 18 year.

If you like cask strength stuff I’d recommend Deanston 9 year Bordeaux finish or Aberlour A’bunadh. My batch of A’bunadh has the most wonderful mouthfeel I’ve ever had in a whisky.

I’ve never had it, but if you like Redbreast you could try their Lustau, which is sherry cask finished I believe.

Tried to get both of these. Above.
Deanston is completely gone.
The glendronach has gone up about 40% on the lead up to Christmas which is a pisstake. Hopefully will go down again in the new year.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Bape Culture posted:

The glendronach has gone up about 40% on the lead up to Christmas which is a pisstake. Hopefully will go down again in the new year.

Well if you are open to ordering online, finedrams has the 18 year Glendronach for $106 before shipping. Grab a couple other nice bottles to cut on shipping costs, you can get a liter of Glenfarclas 105 for $46 from that site.

I wouldn’t mind getting another Glendronach 18 while it’s still their older stock, the bottle I have is just fantastic. First couple drinks were very peppery, but it’s opened up really nicely.

DoctaFun fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Dec 11, 2019

Apache
May 11, 2004

Bape Culture posted:

Some of that 40% may be the 25% import tariff that was imposed recently.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Sorry lads I’m in the UK.
Also the a’bundah here is up 40% thanks to the new corporate overlords. People are not happy at all.
Crazy that some of the stuff we make is more expensive than all the way across the fuckin sea!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Bape Culture posted:

Also the a’bundah here is up 40% thanks to the new corporate overlords. People are not happy at all.
Crazy that some of the stuff we make is more expensive than all the way across the fuckin sea!

There are similar issues in the US. Some of our best stuff is exported to Japan. Wild Turkey 8 and 13, Blanton's Straight From The Barrel, etc. aren't even sold in the US at all. You're better off these days buying American whiskey in Japan than Japanese whiskey.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Blantons store picks are available in Michigan. Different distribution cuts certain brands off from entire states it seems.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Bape Culture posted:

It's okay, you don't have to apologize, we forgive you.

Anyway, out of curiosity what is your actual £ price on the a'bunadh?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Nice piece of fish posted:

It's okay, you don't have to apologize, we forgive you.

Anyway, out of curiosity what is your actual £ price on the a'bunadh?

£80 now!

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

So about £40 cheaper than our price, a year ago.

loving god damnit :negative:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

That's insane. The last bottle I bought of the stuff (in California) was US$60. It's good but it's not a loving $100 bottle!

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Doesn't that 80 include taxes? I'd pay basically the same in USD after tax but we have some of the highest liquor taxes in the us

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Any comments on Sagamore Rye? Local has it on sale and I was tempted but every one of these new whiskeys turn out to be disappointment.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

wormil posted:

Any comments on Sagamore Rye? Local has it on sale and I was tempted but every one of these new whiskeys turn out to be disappointment.

It's a lower % rye from MGP, so it's not their own (yet). Tad overpriced for what it is but not bad. Worth a shot if on sale.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
Hey thread, are you American and do you like Irish whiskey? How about Scotch? Or really anything that can be defined as whiskey from either Ireland or the UK?

Well gently caress you because after the latest WTO decision in the EU Airbus dispute, the USTR is now considering an additional tariff on Irish and Scotch up to 100%.

Yep, you read that right, potentially 100 percent.

Along with a whole bunch of other things from EU countries. You can find them all here listed under Annex II. As near as I can tell, this will be on top of the 25% tariffs already levied on everything listed in Annex I, which included single malts.

Remember, trade wars are good and easy to win!

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
i can't wait to pay $150 for glenlivet 12

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

is bowmore any good. its on "sale" nearby

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

ArmZ posted:

is bowmore any good. its on "sale" nearby

It's a lot more balanced than most of the big name Islay varieties. Not my preference but it's a good introduction to coastal whisky without people complaining it tastes like bandaids.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Well, gently caress.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Logan 5 posted:

Hey thread, are you American and do you like Irish whiskey? How about Scotch? Or really anything that can be defined as whiskey from either Ireland or the UK?

Well gently caress you because after the latest WTO decision in the EU Airbus dispute, the USTR is now considering an additional tariff on Irish and Scotch up to 100%.

Yep, you read that right, potentially 100 percent.

Along with a whole bunch of other things from EU countries. You can find them all here listed under Annex II. As near as I can tell, this will be on top of the 25% tariffs already levied on everything listed in Annex I, which included single malts.

Remember, trade wars are good and easy to win!

I loving hate Donald trump.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I loving hate Donald trump.

This...doesn’t have anything to do with Trump. It doesn’t even have anything to do with Obama. This case before the WTO started 15 years ago.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Just had some stagg jr. and dang is that good. Best mouthfeel I’ve had in a bourbon for a long time.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I recently bought a bottle of Nikka Coffey Malt because I like the Coffey Grain. I'm enjoying it but it's got so much maple syrup sweetness and fruit up front that you could tell me its a Cognac and I'd believe you.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

I love Laphroaig Quarter Cask but in Canada it costs like $85. Can anyone recommend something equivalent? The price isn't really the issue. I'm just looking for something as delicious.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

half cocaine posted:

I love Laphroaig Quarter Cask but in Canada it costs like $85. Can anyone recommend something equivalent? The price isn't really the issue. I'm just looking for something as delicious.

Laph 10 is probably as close as it gets, but it lacks the smoked ham flavor of the QC. I've yet to find anything quite like it.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

Enigma posted:

Laph 10 is probably as close as it gets, but it lacks the smoked ham flavor of the QC. I've yet to find anything quite like it.

Sweet smokey ham. Love it.

ragle
Nov 1, 2009

Phanatic posted:

This...doesn’t have anything to do with Trump. It doesn’t even have anything to do with Obama. This case before the WTO started 15 years ago.

Trump is responsible because the tariffs are proposed and implemented by an executive branch agency (Office of the United States Trade Representative) the head of which is a Trump appointee. Your logic is like saying Trump has nothing to do with Iraq/Afghanistan policy right now because those wars started before he was elected.

java
May 7, 2005

DoctaFun posted:

Just had some stagg jr. and dang is that good. Best mouthfeel I’ve had in a bourbon for a long time.

Stagg Jr. is one of the best bourbons I’ve ever had.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

half cocaine posted:

See if you can find some Old Ballantruan.

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/b/40/old-ballantruan-single-malt-scotch-whisky

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

Awesome! Thanks!

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

I'm going to be spending a couple hours in Hong Kong International. What would you guys buy from this store?
https://www.hkairportshop.com/en_hk/wine-spirits/spirits/whisky.html

I've never heard of Toguchi and I'm tempted because I love me some Japanese whiskey.

e: lol apparently Toguchi whiskey is just Canadian whiskey aged in a railway tunnel and bottled in japan.

half cocaine fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Dec 15, 2019

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

It’s absolutely loving disgusting as well.
It’s clear. And tastes like moonshine or something.
Just an absolute joke of a dram.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

half cocaine posted:

I've never heard of Toguchi and I'm tempted because I love me some Japanese whiskey.

e: lol apparently Toguchi whiskey is just Canadian whiskey aged in a railway tunnel and bottled in japan.

Yeah, in general the best policy is to only buy Japanese whiskey that you actually know about. 80% of the stuff out there is just cheap grain whiskey imported to sell to idiots.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

Vox Nihili posted:

Yeah, in general the best policy is to only buy Japanese whiskey that you actually know about. 80% of the stuff out there is just cheap grain whiskey imported to sell to idiots.

I've got enough family members to mule the following:

Armorik Double Mature
Suntory Chita
Ardbeg Corryvrekan

Should I avoid any of these?

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Chita is essentially Toki/Hibiki without any malt. If you are into grain whiskies it makes a nice highball. But I wouldn't really schlep it across international borders, unless you want to make a big deal of it being sold only in Japan.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

The Chita used to be £30 in supermarkets and it was okay but quite bland and just honey to me. I wouldn’t go mental for it or pay decent money. All the good well priced Japanese stuff seems to have gone :(

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Bape Culture posted:

The Chita used to be £30 in supermarkets and it was okay but quite bland and just honey to me. I wouldn’t go mental for it or pay decent money. All the good well priced Japanese stuff seems to have gone :(

Chita is around $20 or so in Japan, which is about right. I definitely wouldn't pay a premium for it, but it's at least "real" and inoffensive. It's Suntory's grain whiskey, so this is the stuff that makes up a majority of the juice going into the Hibiki line (albeit probably even younger and without the addition of the malt whiskey and barrel finishing).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

half cocaine posted:

I've got enough family members to mule the following:

Armorik Double Mature
Suntory Chita
Ardbeg Corryvrekan

Should I avoid any of these?

As to the Armorik and Ardbeg, no idea on the former (it's apparently French whiskey, I've never seen it anywhere) but if you like Ardbeg and can get it at a discount then go for it I guess.