Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Near the end of the game you start getting dialogue options that are usually some variant of "this is pointless, gently caress off" and if you do that he'll leave you alone for the rest of the game, and it's very frustrating that that is your only way to 'beat him' in a debate. You can't actually win any of the debates you have with MILTON, not even in a begrudging way. This isn't a failure of the writers in my opinion because they establish that this is just how MILTON is. His whole purpose is to reconcile and sort data and humans cannot be sorted because they're so contradictory. But most of the discussions you have with him aren't even about that topic and you still can't get one over on him, not because it's impossible to do so, but because he will literally never accept any cogent point you make. It's incredibly frustrating. He's an incredibly realistic depiction of some dick on an internet forum who thinks he knows everything.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Because there's a chievo for it? :shrug:

True that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Inspector Gesicht posted:

My two gripes with Talos is that the text-computers are boring and break up the gameplay, and that recorder puzzles are the loving worse. It's telling that whenever someone submits a player-made puzzle they always tag it with "No Recorders".

Also that the expac moved away from them.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

They announced a sequel years ago but it won't be released until after Serious Sam 4, a game in a series I don't care about. It's very telling that the oddball hits like Talos, Goose Game, Outer Wilds etc. have no combat whatsoever.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

I think I might be the only person in the world who actually enjoyed the recorder puzzles :smith:

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I think a recorder puzzle would work better in a turn-based puzzle game e.g. "I move my guy to this pressure-plate on the map and wait 8 turns, then head to the time-machine, return to turn 1 on the timeline, and cross the bridge made accessible by my alternate self".

Having to wait in real-time however just louses things up. You have to remember a specific sequence of moving and stalling before enacting the plan without fail. There's a lot of trial-and-error involved made time consuming with recorder-puzzles, unless it's a core mechanic of the game.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The recorder puzzles actually made my brain feel like it was stretching until it could accommodate them, which was a weird but rewarding feeling.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

I do understand why people don't like them to be fair; if you're trial and erroring them, then having to wait around etc. only to fail and have to restart is super annoying. I think I like them because I like puzzles where you have to bend your brain into a different shape and suddenly everything snaps into focus and you start interacting with the mechanics in a whole new way. You can do some mad poo poo by combining the recorders with other puzzle mechanics once your brain starts thinking in multiple iterations at once, to the point that sometimes you're not sure whether what you just did was the intended solution or you found a way to game the setup.

To be honest, I think that's a big part of why the recorders didn't work for a lot of people; Talos generally rewards trial and error and presents its puzzles as physical things to be fiddled with, while the recorder puzzles are more rewarding if you approach them as conceptual problems, so it's a mismatch of puzzle style that's jarring and sets you on the wrong track to start with. And since they're sprinkled in with other puzzles, it's harder to hit that groove and keep your brain bent in the right shape.

You could make a great real time game based primarily around the recorder mechanics and I think it would be less off-putting because you'd be training the player upfront and rewarding them for a consistent approach to the game's puzzles, but I agree they're probably not a great fit for Talos even if I enjoy them.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
While I didn't despise them, I found the recorders the worst when it came to situations where I realized the solution but misplaced/mistimed an element by just a bit.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
The recorder puzzles and Milton are both good.

Although to be fair I don't remember if the game ever mentioned there's a fast forward button or if you just have to look at the keybindings to find it, doing the recorders without it sounds a lot worse.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

This is more a "My internet" problem than a game problem, but every game that needs a download the second I put it in. Right now Dragon Quest XI, but man, my lovely internet makes it more unpleasant than it needs to be.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Actually, this reminded me of the one thing I really do dislike in the Talos Principle.

There are a bunch of stars you can find in the world. They're almost all extra puzzles outside of the normal puzzle area - a lot of them require figuring out how to sneak items outside of the limited puzzle area you normally use them in. This is really cool, and fun, and a great extension of the normal puzzle solving you do.

There's one star, in the base game, which instead requires outside tools (something to read QR codes) and outside knowledge that your character has no way of knowing. If this was its own standalone easter egg it would be fine, but tying it to a collectable when all of the other collectables can be found using nothing but ingame logic is really frustrating.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.
Late to Far Cry 5 chat, but the thing that bugged me most in Jacob's kidnapping things was, the first time, when you're running the drug nightmare training course thing, when you finally kill the last guy you get some slow dramatic camera zoom stuff. "Oh," I thought, "it means that was really an ally or somebody important that you got tricked into killing and you get caught up in the momentum and don't realize until it's too late, that's pretty cool."

Except it wasn't, then. That's what happens with the last guy the third time you do the course.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

GyverMac posted:

The new modern warfare really bamboozle my lizard brain. I dont know whether to love or hate it. One one hand you have the flashy rewards and the satisfying kills, the weapons and the sound, on the other you have the the super low time to kill and the horribly designed maps making the game feel like RNG most of the time.

The biggest issue with MW is the matchmaking. They use a skill based matchmaking that in theory drops you into matches with players around your skill level. What it actually does is drop you into games where you will get monster dunked on for a few rounds, do decently for a few rounds and then do well a few rounds. Then this starts over.

Its one of the most confusing design decisions I've ever seen in a game. It guarantees a string of frustrating games constantly.

Combine that with CoD's inability to get player spawning where you either spawn with someone ready to shoot you in the back, or spawn in behind others yourself.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Snake Maze posted:

The recorder puzzles and Milton are both good.

Although to be fair I don't remember if the game ever mentioned there's a fast forward button or if you just have to look at the keybindings to find it, doing the recorders without it sounds a lot worse.

I knew about the fastforwarding. People can know how the game works and still dislike a certain puzzle element.

Snake Maze posted:

There's one star, in the base game, which instead requires outside tools (something to read QR codes) and outside knowledge that your character has no way of knowing. If this was its own standalone easter egg it would be fine, but tying it to a collectable when all of the other collectables can be found using nothing but ingame logic is really frustrating.

I know which one you mean, I also found that one to be uniquely lame.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Shovel Knight: King of cards have 3 levels that are a single screen with a collection of chests and an NPC that gives you a unique card.

I just charged through a breakable wall in one that concealed the exit and followed through before I talked to the guy, and the level disappears when you’re done :saddowns:

Dr Christmas has a new favorite as of 02:32 on Dec 15, 2019

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

CJacobs posted:

He's an incredibly realistic depiction of some dick on an internet forum who thinks he knows everything.

Nailed it. I do love how you almost feel him squirming at the end once you are the one asking the questions.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If you do not like MILTON, it's still worth maintaining contact with him throughout the entire game, all however-many-hours of it, just because in the very last super final 2-steps-from-the-ending interaction with him you can straight up say "get bent" and log off immediately. You do not have to say anything else. He says "Hello, one last conversation?", you say "get bent", and that is the goddamn end of him. It is so utterly satisfying.

(here is me reacting to this blind because why not)

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 11:19 on Dec 14, 2019

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I mean, given what (or who) Milton represents and why he's named Milton in the first place, his behavior is thematically appropriate and very much on-point.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Also they named the dude who tries to deceive you in the garden of Eden "Milton" which is so loving on the nose that you've got to love it.

If only the terminal was a Macbook too.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

food court bailiff posted:

They’re not that lengthy, and not the same every time though? The way some of you talk about this game makes me wonder if you actually played it.
The biggest thing that dragged down FC5 for me was when I was flying a helicopter over a compound that turned out to be the zone's boss area, but I wasn't supposed to go there yet or something. So it played The Music, the screen went blurry, and it took away my helicopter and teleported me outside of the base area. With no explanation.

That's not how you do a open world game.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I never finished the Talos Principle, (I think the recorder puzzles wore me down, but it's been a few years so I'm iffy on some of the details) but I really liked talking to Milton. It may well have changed later in the game, but I think we were starting to understand one another?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
For most of the game Milton only really agrees with you on any subject if you refuse to imply it has any goal or purpose and gently caress that I thought you were a supercomputer not a 14 year old

When he started going like "so you think killing all weak infants before they reach adolescence would make a good society huh that's what you're saying you hypocrite!!" I was like you are the dumbest computer ever

edit: Don't get me wrong, I really love the way The Talos Principle presents debating philosophy with a supercomputer. What I do not love is debating philosophy with Milton because he is completely unreasonable.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 13:43 on Dec 14, 2019

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

PancakeTransmission posted:

The biggest thing that dragged down FC5 for me was when I was flying a helicopter over a compound that turned out to be the zone's boss area, but I wasn't supposed to go there yet or something. So it played The Music, the screen went blurry, and it took away my helicopter and teleported me outside of the base area. With no explanation.

That's not how you do a open world game.

It's not the biggest problem I had with FC5, but I'm still puzzled by what they'd done to the enemy AI. In 3 and 4, you had to carefully take out enemies at guard posts without alerting anyone or they'd trigger the alarm and summon a horde of baddies to fight off. In 5, I could strafe an outpost from a helicopter gunship and the people I missed didn't seem to notice anything wrong. Really killed the game for me once I realised that between the starting pistol being the Golden Gun from Goldeneye and helicopters being silent and invisible death machines, I didn't have to bother with any attempt at stealth.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Like at one point he feeds you everybody's favorite pointless debate question with no answer, the trolley problem. But the issue is with his phrasing. He says this one person "puts the lives of the others at risk", not that they will die, which compromises the whole drat thing. It's pointless to give him EITHER answer with the way he's phrased it because you don't have enough information. This is how he presents these conversation path openers over and over where no matter what you say he can go AH HA YOU FOOL MUNCH ON THIS MORAL LESSON WHILE YOU DO PUZZLES and it's just annoying.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Sometimes people argue in bad faith. Even in a game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Well sure but my whole point is that the game expects you to reconcile with him and learn to appreciate each other but he is so deeply unpleasant that I only made myself do it because I was livestreaming and people would get mad if I told him to stuff it.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 14:06 on Dec 14, 2019

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Does it? What stops you from telling him to get bent once the option shows up? Picking that option doesn't give you a gameover far as I know.

e: I mean, there's barely a difference between what happens if you tell him 'i'll remember what you've taught me' and 'get bent' that I remember

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The Talos Principle doesn't force you to be friendly with him but the game makes it clear that Croteam would very much like you to be, because the person that even gives you the ability to shut him up is the pretty-much-the-antagonist god-complex-wannabe. You can't tell him to go away until Elohim gives you an override that lets you get rid of him, and then you can either do that the 'friendly' way ("get bent") or by force.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I don't know what Croteam intended, but I have no problem imagining that both of them are antagonists or can be.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

There's not really any changed outcome to befriending Milton iirc, you can bring him with but the game doesn't really care either way. I found him super annoying to talk too as well tbh, but I still helped him, admittedly partly to spite him for calling my moral character into question the whole time.

I don't think he's an antagonist or a good dude, he's just...there. and not super happy about it. You can totally ignore him if you like and the game doesn't mind or prompt you to interact with him all that much.

small ghost has a new favorite as of 14:19 on Dec 14, 2019

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I don't know what Croteam intended, but I have no problem imagining that both of them are antagonists or can be.

True, but being an incorrigible dick isn't really enough to make a good antagonist in my opinion. But even so I don't think that's the case, because Milton's purpose is to inspire doubt in the player so that they defy Elohim and complete the simulation (which is of course the only way to escape) so imo he can't really be an antagonist. He's there to encourage you to think freely but he either has forgotten this over the many retries the simulation has been through OR is withholding it because he thinks it would just turn you against him. Whether he likes it or not, he's working with the goals of the very humans he dislikes for their scatterbrained behavior. You can learn this relatively early on in the game in fact if you try to bust out of bounds and find easter eggs and stuff, but you never get the chance to point this out to him because he wouldn't be able to defend himself.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 14:20 on Dec 14, 2019

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I don't think you need Milton to start doubting Elohim. Just the tower's existence by itself is enough to get the player to go "out of bounds", so to speak.

I think if I get this right, you think Croteam think Milton is very right and smart, and is justified in being a complete shithead, which if that's the case then I agree they're wrong. I just don't know if that's really their intention with regards to him.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Not really, I just feel like it's reasonable to assume they want you to grow and develop a non-hostile relationship with him. In my opinion they did a poor job of it because he never really changes or develops himself until right up near the end, and everything before that is just him throwing you softballs but not giving you a bat to swing at em.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
If they truly intended for the average player to befriend/develop a positive opinion of Milton, then yeah, making him someone who'll never consider/admit being wrong about anything (kind of ironic) was a big mistake on their part.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Shovel Knight: King of Cards In the endgame they mix up slidy platforms with bottomless pit and then add super persistent flying enemies that take four hits to kill. In Shovel Knight falling into a pit/lava/spikes is instant death so the suit of armour that reduces this to major damage feels mandatory, it's not worth wearing anything else.

In the last level they have an auto-scrolling part where you have to hitch onto moving black ledges on a black background.

Sekiro may have been impossible but even that game considered fall damage a minor nuisance and not worth a game-over every time.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 16:26 on Dec 14, 2019

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

The thing dragging ace attorney down for me is the existence of Larry Butz. gently caress Larry, I wish I could go back and lose his first case so he'd be locked away forever.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Yes, gently caress butz

Mr Snips
Jan 9, 2009

Blasphemous

Goddamn the amount of backtracking this game expects you to do is ridiculous. The fast travel system might as well not exist because there aren't enough travel points and they're placed in such a way that you'll still have to go back through several rooms of enemies that take more than one hit to kill.

It's a shame because it could have been a really fun game otherwise but if a game wants me to travel back through precision platforming rooms filled with one hit kill pits and spike traps it's clear that it doesn't respect my time and I have no desire to continue playing.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
MechWarrior 5

I have never in my life been less invested in a game's plot; there are arcade games whose lore I care more about. Holy beans the presentation is a sack of dead mice. I finally get out of the tutorial and start enjoying the game, but every so often a "go talk to the Relentless Talking Machine on the bridge" pops up and the game refuses to do anything until I go do that.

Also the gameplay loop is pretty shallow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Dr Christmas posted:

Shovel Knight: King of cards have 3 levels that are a single screen just a collection of chests and an NPC tat gives you a unique card.

I just charged through a breakable wall in one that concealed the exit and followed through before I talked to the guy, and the level disappears when you’re done :saddowns:

:(:hf::saddowns: