Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
So good to see the New Republic actually doing something in the galaxy - the resistance doesn't loving count.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Donovan Trip posted:

You mean Twi'lek Harley Quinn?

That’s what she was. There were hints of an interesting character, but the constant alternating of hissing and cackling killed the episode for me. I just hated almost everyone on the heist crew despite enjoying those actors in other roles.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

Handsome Ralph posted:

I'm fine with him not killing any of them, since it means we might get Clancy Brown or Bill Burr again in a future season...which I am totally on board with.

That's true, it does play into the Western revenge trope plus I hope they bring back characters like Ming-Na Wen as well, since her fate was kind of ambiguous. I wish they had stuck to Clancy Brown's concept art though, it was much more recognizable and interesting looking.

ghostwritingduck posted:

That’s what she was. There were hints of an interesting character, but the constant alternating of hissing and cackling killed the episode for me. I just hated almost everyone on the heist crew despite enjoying those actors in other roles.

The cat hissing was just bizarre, I'm guessing she was trying to appear bad rear end and animalistic but it didn't quite work out that way.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Nah, Natalie Tena ruled. loving bizarre performance, whole lotta tongue, but I appreciate her being so loving weird. Not a very typical Star Wars performance.

Clancy Brown, meanwhile, and I say this with absolute love for the man's work, was phoning it in. Which doesn't mean he's bad, but that was a comparatively bad performance from the man. He's capable of way better.

Bill Burr good.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Mando turning into Batman aboard a spaceship was rad as gently caress.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Noirex posted:

That's true, it does play into the Western revenge trope plus I hope they bring back characters like Ming-Na Wen as well, since her fate was kind of ambiguous. I wish they had stuck to Clancy Brown's concept art though, it was much more recognizable and interesting looking.

How was her fate ambiguous?

Noirex
May 30, 2006

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

How was her fate ambiguous?

That ending shot with a mysterious someone(Mando?) standing over her....not sure if she's truly dead? It's ambiguous enough for me, I know it's wishful thinking but it's so little screen time for a well loved actress. Just hoping for some cheesy SHE RECOVERED moment and more of her character in the future. :shrug:

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Mike N Eich posted:

So are we to believe the Mando Fucks, and when he Fucks he keeps the helmet on?

This Is The Way

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Nah, Natalie Tena ruled. loving bizarre performance, whole lotta tongue, but I appreciate her being so loving weird. Not a very typical Star Wars performance.

I got a decent Farscape vibe from her and I'm behind that 100%.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90ab6rIGpSY

the mando fucks. I have spoken.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Rocksicles posted:

Since when have governmetns paid two people to do the job of two people?

The US Federal Government is two people doing the job of one.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Sash! posted:

I guess you could say Bush co-ruled with Cheney.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The Twi'Lek lady struck me as the girl version of a katana//fedora dork, like she was so totally self-assured of her sexual potency, but the Mandalorian is himself a total stacey and is completely immune to her weird negging behavior. I sincerely doubt with my entire being that is Mando wouldn't let sexy rifle mom at the shrimp farm "take his helmet off" he certainly wasn't gonna let Knife Party Grimace do it

also I feel like there is a hidden market in the Star Wars Universe for whoever manufactures tiny money pouche3s, since they seem to be the only way to transport credits or coins, and instead of transferring them from pouch to pouch like a wallet, they just toss you the pouch, meaning anyone who hires bounty hunters has to buy like a 12 pack

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Handsome Ralph posted:

Also, Disney X-Wing/Rogue/Wraith Squadron show now please

Yub yub, commander.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Handsome Ralph posted:

Also, Disney X-Wing/Rogue/Wraith Squadron show now please

i love how bored the pilots sounded because this is routine bullshit after fighting a giant war. twilek joker and criminal dan harmon are nothing to them,

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sash! posted:

and it's been taken over by Sith lords, so we won't use that as a datum

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I appreciated the tone of the Gungan joke coming off as kinda racist, adds grit to the scene without actually upsetting anyone

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Skimmed the last few pages but has nobody noticed that the pilot droid Zero was carrying around Boba Fett’s EE-3 blaster while he was searching for Baby Yoda? I haven’t done a close rewatch but that looked like the exact same prop.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
It might have been a slightly modified model but yeah it was "Boba Fett's" carbine.
I have to imagine(in universe) they made more than one

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

JBP posted:

What kind of poo poo rear end anti-employee organisation doesn't have rules for having two people working together. God drat this new republic is much worse than the empire.

The empire would have had 2000 guards on the ship making sure it was safe.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Bust Rodd posted:

I appreciated the tone of the Gungan joke coming off as kinda racist, adds grit to the scene without actually upsetting anyone

the gungan accent sounded extremely italian

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Sgt. Politeness posted:

It might have been a slightly modified model but yeah it was "Boba Fett's" carbine.
I have to imagine(in universe) they made more than one

For sure but two things:

1) Boba Fett’s carbine was a “sawed-off” custom gun (I’m sorry I played the card game in middle school and this is the kind of poo poo that stuck in my brain) and this one was identical

2) it’s a Star Wars show and nothing is just coincidental

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

I am shocked and appalled.
Good episode, though I was hoping that when Ayoade-Bot opened the door Baby Yoda would be pointing a gun at him.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Elephanthead posted:

The empire would have had 2000 guards on the ship making sure it was safe.

Yeah and they would have been living breathing wage earners, not this automation bullshit. gently caress the republic Palpatine was right.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, she was the Wild-Card.

You know, the standard criminal crew: the Brains, the Face, the Muscle, the Wild-Card, and the Mandalorian.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

The past two episodes have had big Fascape vibes.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Nail Rat posted:

How long can you call it the New Republic though? Seems at a certain point that's an issue that would need to be addressed.

They still call New York "New York" though

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 41 hours!
I hope when they do finally have some scene where Mando's helmet gets pulled off it is just baby Yoda inside an empty suit of armor right before Mando gets the drop on the guy. Wearing some emergency inflatable helmet for just such a contingency.

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.
I know there's been a lot of talk about how the early episodes showed Mando as green when it came to combat. I think the reason he was seen as being slow is that he's older. Much older. The last two episodes have really painted him as the old gunslinger whose body aches when he moves and when he does move it's not as fast as he used to. Prior to running off with the child, he was probably just tired of it all and really just kind of phoning it in. It wasn't until he had something to fight for that he got a bit of his old fire back.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

CornHolio posted:

My country was called "New Spain" for like 300 years or so, until everyone got tired of colonizers and went gently caress it, let's have a war.

Anyways, the episode was so drat good! I'm gonna miss it when it's done.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
That was a drat fine episode. Other than the obvious weirdness of sending a chick with knives to fight droids, I don't care if *backstory* it would make more sense to send someone with a portable EMP at least and let her wait with Bobby

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
That episode loving ruled. I had no idea Natalie Tena was the Twi'lek.

I see the end of the episode as The pilots basically doing a cop thing "He has a weapon, lets just shoot them

Has there been some kind of leak about the next episode? because I'm seeing a bunch of stuff saying Yes Baby Yoda is a clone as if it was confirmed.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

SimplyCosmic posted:

I know there's been a lot of talk about how the early episodes showed Mando as green when it came to combat. I think the reason he was seen as being slow is that he's older. Much older. The last two episodes have really painted him as the old gunslinger whose body aches when he moves and when he does move it's not as fast as he used to. Prior to running off with the child, he was probably just tired of it all and really just kind of phoning it in. It wasn't until he had something to fight for that he got a bit of his old fire back.

He is also constantly getting super hosed up by wildlife. The mounts in Ep1 bite his arm hard enough to break his gauntlets, that could mean a broken arm, and the Longhorn had to have cracked some ribs. He gets tossed around like a sack of poo poo and then takes out three armed Trandoshans in a cave by himself.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tbh I thought Bill Burr's acting was pretty bad in this even thought I'd have thought he'd be perfect for the part. And the twi'lek woman was just unbelievably corny. Otherwise it was still pretty fun, but my least favorite episode by a long shot. The ending was cool though.

Edit: Oh man I didn't even know it was the girl from GOT. She was great in that. I dunno both those performances were just huge misfires for me for some reason.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Dec 14, 2019

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Favreau is pretty obviously telling them to ham it the gently caress up so that Mando’s terse stoicism comes off better. If Mando were the same as he is but everyone behaved and spoke normally, he’d look like a completely socially inept dork instead of the rough & tumble wandering gunman that the show needs him to be.

These are GOOD actors being told to overact the hell out of their underwritten parts so that Mando looks cooler because everyone is a foil to him

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

SimplyCosmic posted:

how old is mando supposed to be. he is little when the clone wars happen so may guess is 30s or so.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
What's wrong with hammy acting. Hammy acting rules. All hail the Emperor.

(funny that star wars acting could really have gone two ways, given the precedent set by Alec Guinness sleepwalking his way through A New Hope.)

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Noirex posted:

Anyway, it was great to finally get to see the Mando live up to his reputation and take out a whole squad of droids by himself with nothing but his skills and gadgets after being beaten down so much in previous eps.

And then later Bill Burr's character took out another bunch by blasting them in the back just with his infinite number of guns.

Can someone do this guy, only with guns and add like half a dozen more?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

Favreau is pretty obviously telling them to ham it the gently caress up so that Mando’s terse stoicism comes off better. If Mando were the same as he is but everyone behaved and spoke normally, he’d look like a completely socially inept dork instead of the rough & tumble wandering gunman that the show needs him to be.

These are GOOD actors being told to overact the hell out of their underwritten parts so that Mando looks cooler because everyone is a foil to him

Eh, I don't really agree. The Devil guy was also very hammy but was good. If anything I'd say Burr underacted it and the exact opposite for twi'lek

Just my opinion obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

CornHolio posted:

The new castle in Newcastle is like a thousand years old.