Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

serious gaylord posted:

If possible can anyone either record or find clips from your local news about people being interviewed about why they voted tory in the labour strongholds that flipped?

Theres been a run of 'the high street has been really run down for the last few years so I thought I'd give the tories a try' etc. Really local level issues under labour councils or MPs where they think its labour that has been causing these problems.

I'm making a project highlighting this but a lot of this stuff is on local news and radio and never makes it online.

Thanks

This sounds really interesting and I’d like to know more about it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaveman
Jul 25, 2009

NEVER!!!

serious gaylord posted:

If possible can anyone either record or find clips from your local news about people being interviewed about why they voted tory in the labour strongholds that flipped?

Theres been a run of 'the high street has been really run down for the last few years so I thought I'd give the tories a try' etc. Really local level issues under labour councils or MPs where they think its labour that has been causing these problems.

I'm making a project highlighting this but a lot of this stuff is on local news and radio and never makes it online.

Thanks

I've got no quotes for you but from living in one of those heartlands and talking with people it is a combination of a loss of trust in labour mps ground down since the Blair years, the desolation of the high street, corrupt councillors (this is an issue labour needs to grasp) and good old racism.

It's the same reason these areas voted leave. Nothing has been working for them for years, they just want change - any change... and racism.

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
I mean, my town's ex council leader ran off with half of the money to improve our football stadium and is still under legal investigation, and our council has gone bust under Conservative management for decades, but that didn't stop the town still splitting 40% Tory support, so I'm not sure how much local matters affect actually entrenched views in a general election.

Weasling Weasel fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Dec 14, 2019

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

GET BREXIT WEXIT NIEXIT SEXIT DONE

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee

serious gaylord posted:

Thanks

Here’s this from the BBC today: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50781738

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007

Weasling Weasel posted:

I mean, my town's ex council leader ran off with half of the money to improve our football stadium and is still under legal investigation, and our council has gone bust under Conservative management for decades, but that didn't stop the town still splitting 40% Tory support, so I'm not sure how much local matters affect actually entrenched views in a general election.

Honestly I'd be more inclined to agree with this, here on the Isle of Wight it's been Tory for literally decades, our last MP had to leave over homophobic remarks and our current one has a bad habit of voting for cuts for the island, yet the IoW still went all blue. It's the racism.

bicycle
Oct 23, 2013

Christ.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Terribly wrong... or terribly right? :thunk:

https://twitter.com/rcolvile/status/1205632627312603138

Trades
Aug 3, 2013
I think Brexit would have scuppered this election almost regardless of what labour did, but I wonder if labour isn’t left with a bit of an identity crisis. The endless media regurgitation of taking us back to the 70s seemed to stick to some extent - just coupling that with what people are saying upthread and does labour need to try and redefine itself I’m an age where the industrial working class and union membership has all but disappeared?

People are talking about ongoing community action as a new way of keeping an ongoing activist base in the way union membership used to, whilst that would work I don’t know how it would be organised. Can we more simply redefine ourselves as the party of public service, and of public services? I mean the nhs, education, hell even the police are now solidly labour. In the same way as pushing the Vote NHS, Vote Labour line?

I don’t think I actually have a conclusion here just spewing thoughts for people to interact with.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

So we had 12 years to fix the climate, are we're going to piss away 5 years with Boris. Excellent. and I'm so pleased my eldery relatives are gloating about damaging my future!

The only silver lining is that a big recession is due coupled with brexit- it might destroy the housing market, with no blame on labour.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

JoylessJester posted:

So we had 12 years to fix the climate, are we're going to piss away 5 years with Boris. Excellent. and I'm so pleased my eldery relatives are gloating about damaging my future!

The only silver lining is that a big recession is due coupled with brexit- it might destroy the housing market, with no blame on labour.
Are they doing that to your face? Because if so, I mean... their face is right there, you know?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

JoylessJester posted:

Brexit will be the opportunity for the US to stave off the next GFC by looting the entire British economy, and the Tories are definitely going to remove even our current figleaf brassplate restrictions on foreign companies buying up entire chunks of the UK housing market to keep that bubble inflated.

Trades
Aug 3, 2013
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/dec/14/labour-meltdown-decades-govern-votes

Both says what I was trying to say and critiques it I suppose. I don’t know how workable labour as citizens advice is though?

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

This is so depressing

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Can anyone point me towards some resources on parallel community support/organisation? I have slowly become the defacto head of a small community group, want to see what we can do.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

This is exactly what im talking about. People utterly exasperated that their towns have been run down and its the labour MP's 'fault' so they're trying something new. Complaining that all the funding is going to Wigan and that their market stalls are closing down as if Labour could have stopped it.

I'm trying to get as much as I can, even if its just vox pops or radio phone in shows. If it gets enough interest I'll look into delving a bit deeper.

My feeling is that Boris played as an opposition style candidate in these areas, and that it wasn't just 'get brexit done' for a lot of these people. That he highlighted a decade of (Tory) cuts and left it as a steaming turd on the Labour MP's doorstep. That combined with the brexit crowd meant he came sweeping in and he seemed like a breath of fresh air to these people.

I want to learn as much as I can so we can be better prepared to combat this in 5 years time, or its just going to happen again.

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola

Trades posted:

Can we more simply redefine ourselves as the party of public service, and of public services? I mean the nhs, education, hell even the police are now solidly labour. In the same way as pushing the Vote NHS, Vote Labour line?

I don’t think I actually have a conclusion here just spewing thoughts for people to interact with.

Unfortunately this isn’t true. A lot of my NHS colleagues didn’t vote for us or required tons of convincing, and that included people on low bands from poor backgrounds, BAME junior doctors and other people you’d expect us to pick up. In canvassing I met teachers and police many times and several of them were apathetic or openly hostile, and did not seem swayed at all by the fact this area’s schools and cops have bitten some of the worst cuts.

We are still being blamed for New Labour’s failure to help places like mine. We have been blamed for the gridlock of recent years, and Johnson has been positioned as the energised opposition to the fictional Corbyn shadow government and parliament itself. I know this doesn’t make sense but it’s what has happened. A brief flurry of ‘ground game’ doesn’t change minds that have been battered into submission by years of indignity, stress and hollow aching loss, by the blaring death rattle of the systems we live under. The institutions that kept our minds safe are long gone; the North has been crushed into the mud and beaten in its heart. We can’t rely on automatic support from ‘the public sector’ here - plenty of its people have become amplifier nodes for the messages that killed us this time.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

Are they doing that to your face? Because if so, I mean... their face is right there, you know?

Punching frail 80 year olds is generally frown upon. They also immediately switched to complaining about the state of the nhs/social care. Maddening.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Even though my family are all the bluest of Tory voters they won't ever gloat about it to me because they are also spineless cowards, my 84 year old Grandma who has been a Tory all her life doesn't even read basic party policy, she just trusts the Daily Mail is correct about everything.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/MichaelRosenYes/status/1205776719648608256?s=19

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

lenoon posted:

Can anyone point me towards some resources on parallel community support/organisation? I have slowly become the defacto head of a small community group, want to see what we can do.

I think some of the practice within socially engaged art can be a good model potentially. The methodology is essentially research through talking, examining archives and data etc. but then talking to members of the community about their needs before responding.

From my experience, meeting people you may not usually talk to is key. Some religions already have community outreach projects but as it tends to be a bit religion-y this only reaches a handful of people.

Start a steering group. Invite people to it who has in-depth knowledge as well as contacts or resources they might be able to lend a hand with. Also start to map other similar groups and organise meetings with some amount of regularity. In terms of venues - libraries and religious buildings tend to be underused. Pop round and get to know the people who run libraries, any lefty cafes, colleges, existing charities, that sort of thing.

Setting out a goal then working backwards to creating a strategy is key. I've worked a lot in the charity sector and its main weakness is a lack of organisation, or well-meaning people unable to do certain tasks (particularly with software/computers). Some element of training is required, as is transparency as to why x is done leading to y. Setting out goals also reduces sprawl and trying to do everything, so be focused about what you want and bear that in mind during any difficult periods.

Another important part is shouting about what you're doing - document as much as you can through photos, reports, essays. Can be an idea to work with someone a bit younger and savvy with new media to do this. Not only are you documenting what you're doing, which can be handy for funding or outreach, but you have a central archive of achievements. Consider putting together zines or booklets that can then be distributed further afield.

In terms of funding, I can imagine a lot of this will be eaten up over the next few years so grab it whilst you can. I've done a lot of funding apps (and might make an effort post about it later) but have a scan about. https://www.idoxopen4community.co.uk/lancashirecc?bcr=MTIzNA

On a final note - be cautious about working with some people. From my experience local and county councils, especially in the regions, are loving poo poo. There's some good people but they're outnumbered by so many busy-bodies who are just collecting a wage. I think this is one of the reasons for failure in the north, a lot of the staff there are useless and been in post for years and years without any real challenge. Think about what the council do in your area, and how regularly. Might be different in different places.

justcola fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Dec 14, 2019

Trades
Aug 3, 2013
Shogi where roughly are you based out of interest? I guess I’m guilty of generalising the feeling in the south east to the rest of the country, that’s the limit of my personal experience.

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
Noting there’s already a meme developing in the right of the party that the work activists did had a negative impact. That’s probably going to be a thing over the coming months, since it serves the dual purpose of making them feel better for doing gently caress all but attacking their own party, and demoralising the membership so they have a better chance of grabbing the reins again.

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola

Trades posted:

Shogi where roughly are you based out of interest? I guess I’m guilty of generalising the feeling in the south east to the rest of the country, that’s the limit of my personal experience.

I’m a half-Cornish Teessider, twice cursed by the gods. I still love this place of strange juxtapositions, somehow

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Shogi posted:

I’m a half-Cornish Teessider, twice cursed by the gods. I still love this place of strange juxtapositions, somehow

Aw the banana is making an egg :3:

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
John Harris's most recent series of Anywhere but Westminster was, like the previous ones, a good taste of what's been going on on the ground in labour heartlands around the country, in the run up to the election: https://youtu.be/s7eG1kbdr0M

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola

Katt posted:

Aw the banana is making an egg :3:

We are very serious about securing a future for bendy bananas here

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Trades posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/dec/14/labour-meltdown-decades-govern-votes

quote:

While the party bigwigs threw their weight about, the mines and the manufacturers, the steel and the shipbuilding were snuffed out. With them went the culture of Labourism: the bolshy union stewards, the self-organised societies, most of the local newspapers. Practically any institution that might incubate a working-class provincial political identity was bulldozed.

That's a very good article and I think this bit is central. The Labour Party originally grew out of institutions that enabled working class participatory democracy and office holding: unions, Primitive Methodist chapels, workers educational associations and so on. We don't really do that any more. Maybe it's something parallel structures could offer.

Trades
Aug 3, 2013

Oh dear me posted:

Maybe it's something parallel structures could offer.

I guess the two questions are what are they and how do we build them? Forming labour community centres and youth centres given how councils have retreated with budget cuts?

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

The collapse of labour in the north does mirror the collapse of the northern economy generally. I’m really not sure how you can help it without a nakedly political community outreach program

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Trades posted:

I guess the two questions are what are they and how do we build them? Forming labour community centres and youth centres given how councils have retreated with budget cuts?

It's not just about services, it's about community and identity. Any enjoyable social activity can be done by a political community and so long as the focus remains on the politics rather than the activity then it'll be a popular fusion of the two rather than just a social circle.

British communist parties had running and cycling groups as did unions, no reason you can't form more communist gaming clans and chat politics and raiding at the same time. Do a fundraiser activity/endurance event for a specific political aim rather than just as a charity venture.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Truly incredible pundits are trying to claim centrism is what needs to return when every centrist got destroyed

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
Went and joined the Labour party yesterday.

Calming down a bit after yesterday and thinking about it, the results should have been predictable, unfortunately. I hoped for the best, just like a lot of people here, but thinking back the signs were there.

The word "electoralism" was mentioned earlier in this thread, and I think it does pinpoint an issue. Maybe I'm veering into hot take territory here, but it just doesn't seem to me that canvassing and leafleting for 5 weeks is enough at this point, especially not when you're up against the billion-budget media machine propping up your opponents. Especially not with all the issues that I see talked about here and on Twitter (organizational issues, lack of up-to-date information, mismanagement of human resources (bleugh) and so on and so on). The activists did all they could and it was amazing to see that (thank you!), but what happened happened.

There will be a demand in the next five years for positive, direct action alternative to the crumbling welfare infrastructure, a demand for protection and for support. To me it seems that covering that demand is way for the Labour party to survive in any left-wing shape or form moving forward. Yes, it'll be hard, especially with a modest budget, as it was mentioned here as well, and maybe it's just being idealistic and talking out of my arse, so I guess we'll see.

Also, a lot of Labour councils and local governments seriously need to be looked at in terms of corruption and general dodginess (live in Tower Hamlets, Newham is just next door, and the amount of general fuckery going on is a tad disappointing to be honest).

Also, as a EU citizen, lib dems can gently caress right off lol, along with #FBPE crowd. Not a fan of brexit obviously but come on.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

serious gaylord posted:

This is exactly what im talking about. People utterly exasperated that their towns have been run down and its the labour MP's 'fault' so they're trying something new. Complaining that all the funding is going to Wigan and that their market stalls are closing down as if Labour could have stopped it.

Im in a Labour stronghold and all you hear about is library closures, hospital closures, flytipping, burglaries, corrupt councils, cuts cuts cuts. At some point you do start thinking “well I bet the Tory areas aren’t having it as bad.” If you’re clearly getting nothing right now, why not start sucking up to the rich people and see if they can throw you some scraps. (I absolutely did not vote Tory just to be clear...)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/pedanticparties/status/1205520818505211904?s=19

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Lol, after 10 years of austerity and conservative rule everything is run down and awful, things need to change that's why I'm voting conservative lololol

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Labour need to start organising and communicating us proles directly and until they do this will keep happening. We keep reacting to the alt right and pointing at them and shouting racist/fascist. It's obvious, now, given who just got the keys to number 10 with a loving huge mandate, that we'll happily elect racists and being racist doesn't put voters off.

(This is not an endorsement to be racist, just that our messaging has to get better)

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Jose posted:

Truly incredible pundits are trying to claim centrism is what needs to return when every centrist got destroyed

Centrism cannot fail, it can only be failed.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

serious gaylord posted:

Thanks

Ian Warren (https://twitter.com/election_data) and his firm Centre for Towns have been shouting about this for a while. They are mostly ex-Labour Party data analysts. They have a lot of interesting analysis on how badly the councils in these Labour areas are performing compared to the idealised national party messaging.

For every Preston council which is dynamic and trying to introduce 21st century collaborative socialism (like localised in-sourcing) there are loads of Labour councils that are completely calcified and seem content to circle the drain while thinking that blaming Tory central cuts will keep them in office (hint: Election result 12/12/19, not going to keep working).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

fridge corn posted:

Lol, after 10 years of austerity and conservative rule everything is run down and awful, things need to change that's why I'm voting conservative lololol

I can see the next election having record low turnout and not just for voter suppression reasons. Will be interesting seeing how they justify voter ID after winning a landslide not like it matters