Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Butt Discussin posted:

Next stop: Cybertruck.

But can it run Doom? :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

isndl posted:

But can it run Doom? :thunk:

very very likely and if it doesn't happen naturally, tweet the idea to musk and make it happen

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

taqueso posted:

very very likely and if it doesn't happen naturally, tweet the idea to musk and make it happen

until fairly recently, Tesla's with Autopilot literally had a cutdown GTX 1060 on an MXM card in them

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Cygni posted:

You can’t really justify the purchase of toys in the dumb minmaxy way most people talk about them. It’s a toy. Buy the toy if you want, or don’t! It couldn’t matter less!

I used to think PC gaming was a stupid expensive hobby, and yeah PCs do cost more than consoles, but as far as adult hobbies go, its dirt cheap.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Recreational shooting/guns as a hobby (excluding those who make it a compulsion) makes PC building seem cheap.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I've gone GTX 260 -> HD6950 (needed an upgrade for BF3) -> HD7950 (driver improvement and Never Settle bundle tempted me) -> GTX 780 (accidentally won a Steam Machine) -> GTX1080 (780 was finally starting to show its age and I wanted 1440p) -> GTX 2070 Super (bundling CoD and still getting decent money for the 1080 was too tempting)

If you're selling off your old video cards a pattern like this is totally reasonable!

I upgrade way less often, but partly that's because I don't want to deal with ebay & paypal. When I sell old video cards it's to friends for cheap prices. So I buy midrange type cards and ride them a lot longer, including sometimes where I've played old games and indies for a year on a card that was getting meh for big games.

Whatever works, works. The only pattern to buying computer junk that's actively bad is when it's more about the nerd retail therapy than any useful reason.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Recreational shooting/guns as a hobby (excluding those who make it a compulsion) makes PC building seem cheap.

If it's compulsory it's not really a hobby anymore, it's a job, no?

But you're right, a single piece of a single quality rifle can easily go for more than an entire decent computer, and a couple of mags of quality ammo is like shooting a AAA game downrange. So, yeah, by comparison PC gaming is pretty cheap as an adult hobby, where $1500 can buy you literally thousands of hours of entertainment.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah no poo poo, shooting a single 20 rd mag of .308 is just a (much more fun) method of setting a $10 bill on fire. And that's for the cheapest brass cased.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
And honestly even guns are a pretty cheap hobby compared to things like cars.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Until you get real into distance precision shooting and then your scope alone is like $5,000 and suddenly cars don't seem that much more expensive...

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I love having a GPU. Some fans, heatsink stuff. a backplate. It's a little longer than my last one, but not much, and it has three fans when the last one had two. Now this is the right hobby for Bobby! (my name during this post)

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I'm into cars as well and there's this awful feeling whenever you modify a car because you know that you've just made it more likely to break, you're putting more stress on w/e parts and you kinda get a halfway enjoyment out of performance parts. At least with PCs you put the part in, it's a direct upgrade, it's noticeable and measureable, and it's not going to have some big failure that costs you $5k (especially if you get stuff under warranty).

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Cavauro posted:

I love having a GPU. Some fans, heatsink stuff. a backplate. It's a little longer than my last one, but not much, and it has three fans when the last one had two. Now this is the right hobby for Bobby! (my name during this post)

:hmmyes:

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.

DrDork posted:

Until you get real into distance precision shooting and then your scope alone is like $5,000 and suddenly cars don't seem that much more expensive...

Many many people I shoot with escaped racing to a cheaper hobby. :lol:

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Yeah my metric is somewhere around ~* its cheaper than a boat

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

most the people i know have had hobbies that are a tenth of the cost of my desire for trash computer hardware

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
building trash computers is cool. I'm about done getting the parts for an A10 APU build and I'm looking at an FX one next, paired with like a GTX 650

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
The hobby is environmentally destructive as gently caress, another angle to consider

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

ItBreathes posted:

Intel's problems ultimately stem from running their own fabs. No matter what happens, AMD isn't going to get that kind of opportunity in the GPU space.
Intel's strength is also that they run their own fabs. The problem is that those fabs have been having issues, not who owns them. Their architecture is also not as easily able to scale, something Intel is obviously working on. As much as AMD is having a lot of success with zen2 right now, Intel has plenty of resources to bite back hard once they work out 10nm and MCM for cores like AMD has.

buglord posted:

I used to think PC gaming was a stupid expensive hobby, and yeah PCs do cost more than consoles, but as far as adult hobbies go, its dirt cheap.
I made that exact argument to someone the other day. A thousand bucks as a high schooler was a lot. A thousand bucks as an adult is a new set of tires. Cars, guns, and computers. Computers are the cheap hobby these days.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Dec 14, 2019

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

The hobby is environmentally destructive as gently caress, another angle to consider

Go away

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

It's more on-topic then the cost of shooting guns.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I consider building PCs a hobby but it’s not a environmentally friendly one (or labor friendly for that matter). No ethical consumption under capitalism and all that.

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

Welp, picked up an RX 580 for $145 new after rebates and promo codes. Am I a sucker?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

One day you will learn to take criticism of your hobbies. Grow up.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

dads friend steve posted:

Welp, picked up an RX 580 for $145 new after rebates and promo codes. Am I a sucker?

Naw youre good, those on-sale 580/590s are still prolly the best buy in that price range. Costs like $60 more to really step up from them.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

At least in this hobby you can offset the cost of the GPUs with bitcoin mining hey bud

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Actually I agree with the assessment 100%

I don't really think that an enthusiast thread is the place for it on that particular issue.

But by all means you can go ahead and be the one to talk about how bad gasoline is in automotive insanity

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

Cygni posted:

Naw youre good, those on-sale 580/590s are still prolly the best buy in that price range. Costs like $60 more to really step up from them.

Thanks for the feedback. I’ve never built my own pc before and researching graphics cards has been the most confusing part for me. I was mostly worried it would be a situation like “spend the extra $60 or just buy the cheapest thing that can run a 1080p monitor” but it sounds like I’ll be getting what I want - extremely decent graphics for fairly cheap

E: for context, I’m coming from a 2013 Lenovo laptop with a graphics card that seemed more optimized for CAD software so this will be a gigantic step up

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Answer unclear due to schrodinger's rebate, ask again later.

Statutory Ape posted:

Actually I agree with the assessment 100%

I don't really think that an enthusiast thread is the place for it on that particular issue.

But by all means you can go ahead and be the one to talk about how bad gasoline is in automotive insanity

Also the difference between a PC enthusiast and the average person is really some "yet you participate in society" level nitpicking. A video card isn't any worse for the environment than a phone or tablet, and god knows people buy and throw away those at an astronomical rate.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Thanks for the feedback. I’ve never built my own pc before and researching graphics cards has been the most confusing part for me. I was mostly worried it would be a situation like “spend the extra $60 or just buy the cheapest thing that can run a 1080p monitor” but it sounds like I’ll be getting what I want - extremely decent graphics for fairly cheap

E: for context, I’m coming from a 2013 Lenovo laptop with a graphics card that seemed more optimized for CAD software so this will be a gigantic step up

You could do better buying a used GPU, but in terms of buying new it's not a terrible purchase.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah this is why I went for a heavier-specced PC for my recent build. It was like, even with pretty high end stuff, it's gonna be what, $1700ish? Nothing compared to most of my long guns. And that's something that I'll use every day, unlike my rifles.

At least it was warranted, since my old PC was choking a bit processing 80mp photos. This one handles them... Better, but still a bit slow. Will probably replace the used 1080Ti in it with whatever the top end of the next gen cards are, whenever those come out.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Statutory Ape posted:

This is a pretty cheap hobby as far as hobbies go. Or it certainly can be, anyway.

I agree 100%. You spend, say, $2,000-2500 you can ride that for years for an amortized value of, say, $800 a year for a top of the line gaming rig. That is basically nothing. If you kept a $2,400 computer for 3 years, you're paying less than $70 a month. And that's basically top-end.

So yeah I think it's hyperbolic as hell too.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

I do appreciate the implicit agreement that everyone has that no one ever actually buys games to add to the cost and continues to play things from years ago on their $2400 computers.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Inept posted:

I do appreciate the implicit agreement that everyone has that no one ever actually buys games to add to the cost and continues to play things from years ago on their $2400 computers.

I mean, that's what a lot of people do, right? Game purchasing habits vary so wildly that you can't really pin an average there, some people sink all their hours into F2P games while others jump from one AAA title to the next. Somewhere in-between you have the sales-only purchasers who get a whole stack of games cheap from Humble Bundles or holiday sales and slowly work through the backlog until the next big sale.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

isndl posted:

Somewhere in-between you have the sales-only purchasers who get a whole stack of games cheap from Humble Bundles or holiday sales and slowly work through the backlog until the next big sale. and never play any of them.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Taima posted:

I agree 100%. You spend, say, $2,000-2500 you can ride that for years for an amortized value of, say, $800 a year for a top of the line gaming rig. That is basically nothing. If you kept a $2,400 computer for 3 years, you're paying less than $70 a month. And that's basically top-end.

So yeah I think it's hyperbolic as hell too.

1/3 of that $2400 will still net a decent brand new PC, and even less when buying used.

But everything is expensive for people with poor financial planning skills. I have seen some who would rather pay like 24 months x $60 instalments for a fridge than buying it outright at $600 from the get go...It's truly mind boggling how bad people can be at money.

Palladium fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Dec 16, 2019

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Palladium posted:

But everything is expensive for people with poor financial planning skills. I have seen some who would rather pay like 24 months x $60 instalments for a fridge than buying it outright at $600 from the get go...It's truly mind boggling how bad people can be at money.

It's not hard to understand when the American education system conspicuously lacks any requirement whatsoever to teach even basic financial literacy in most states. Then if you're not making much money (and off the start, who is?) $60/mo might seem a lot more manageable than doing without a fridge for several months while you save up the $600. And then you get caught in the cycle of not being able to save up, because all your money is going to these rentals/loans, and you never get ahead. Then you have a kid and they grow up figuring that's just normal, and you certainly don't know wtf about money, either, and the school isn't telling anyone, and the cycle continues.

It's great for corporate profits, though!

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

The Rat posted:

Yeah this is why I went for a heavier-specced PC for my recent build. It was like, even with pretty high end stuff, it's gonna be what, $1700ish? Nothing compared to most of my long guns. And that's something that I'll use every day, unlike my rifles.

At least it was warranted, since my old PC was choking a bit processing 80mp photos. This one handles them... Better, but still a bit slow. Will probably replace the used 1080Ti in it with whatever the top end of the next gen cards are, whenever those come out.

Haha, "the reason I spent more this time is that it wasn't costing anywhere near as much as my other expensive hobby"

:black101:

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

DrDork posted:

It's not hard to understand when the American education system conspicuously lacks any requirement whatsoever to teach even basic financial literacy in most states. Then if you're not making much money (and off the start, who is?) $60/mo might seem a lot more manageable than doing without a fridge for several months while you save up the $600. And then you get caught in the cycle of not being able to save up, because all your money is going to these rentals/loans, and you never get ahead. Then you have a kid and they grow up figuring that's just normal, and you certainly don't know wtf about money, either, and the school isn't telling anyone, and the cycle continues.

It's great for corporate profits, though!

I saw the following posted on Facebook recently. Seems pretty accurate and goes along with your point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
my other hobby is a 1979 sailboat, but I don't feel bad about spending money on that like I do when spending money on computer parts and other nerd toys