Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Why do Slayers get higher leadership with ranks when they're all unbreakable anyway?

Edit: I started a Dwarf campaign as Ungrim because I've not really played Dwarves much, and are they supposed to be an incredibly slow expanding faction? It's turn 50 and I have 2 provinces and Mount Gunbad, though I am heading for the Crookback mountain area at the moment to see if could gain a foothold in Skaven territory.

Also, I had forgotten how much walking back and forth the old Warhammer 1 faction quest chains entailed.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Dec 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

smug jeebus posted:

How do you do this? I order the warp-grinders to attack a tower and they just stand in front of it.

Also like when you want a siege weapon to dock, you need to keep it clear. Any other soldiers in the way and they'll get pissy about OH&S

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Broken Cog posted:

Edit: I started a Dwarf campaign as Ungrim because I've not really played Dwarves much, and are they supposed to be an incredibly slow expanding faction? It's turn 50 and I have 2 provinces and Mount Gunbad, though I am heading for the Crookback mountain area at the moment to see if could gain a foothold in Skaven territory.

Yes, Dwarfs not only grow slowly but the Grudge system can penalise them for losing settlements, so expanding fast is risky even if you have the economy/armies to do so. The trade off is that built-up dwarf garrisons are some of the best in the game, and built-up Dwarf economy is amazing, especially if you start trading with allies. The standard Dwarf strategy is 'bite and hold' - take a settlement/province, defend it until you have walls, and only then move on to the next one. You have to think like a rock; let the enemy break against you.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Malus ME taking the sell Hag Graef option is a grief to your self since you lose the ability to trade.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Broken Cog posted:

Why do Slayers get higher leadership with ranks when they're all unbreakable anyway?

Also, I had forgotten how much walking back and forth the old Warhammer 1 faction quest chains entailed.

Surely they should get lower leadership because they've been surviving battles and and that isn't the point damnit

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I'm actually on track to complete a mortal empires campeign as sniktch and boy golly do I hate walking.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Third World Reagan posted:

Malus ME taking the sell Hag Graef option is a grief to your self since you lose the ability to trade.

Yeah, I was hurting for money for a horrible amount of turns when I did it (largely because there's so few other factions there if you choose to fight the greenskins and eshin straight after you wipe out the lizards) and now I've finally gotten a good slice of the region and a solid income I need to start working on getting a new army up because somehow Clan Mors and Karaz-a-Karak became best friends while I was building my powerbase and the Badlands appears to be nothing but goddamn rats.

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:

Broken Cog posted:

Load your last autosave and move Malus out of the settlement. For some reason the quest battles are bugged if you get attacked while garrisoned.

:stare: God dammit it spawned two full stacks next to me. I was hoping to have a defensive siege.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

So not sure if this is just my experience, but Delves and Skaven are dominating Vortex since the latest update.

Not sure if their new units have eschewed the auto-resolve in their favour, but Mors has dunked both Last Defenders and Tlaqua which has previously never happened for me. Also Morathi has beaten Mazdamundi, again never had that happened.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Pretty sure this is the first time the game has been back above 45k concurrents since the first month. Makes me wonder if TWW3 keeps getting more and more time.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Do the Warp Grinders get shot by towers that they are underneath that they are Grinding?

Agent355 posted:

Do ikit claw's mounts benefit from his workshop upgrades? Or only the ones that specifically specify 'characters on doomwheel mounts'
Only the ones that specify, unfortunately. Still, having Ikit or any Warlock Engineer on a Perfect Vigour Doomwheel with 120+ armor (I had one guy up to like 170, I think?) and like 50% Missile Resist is just bonkers.

Agent355 posted:

This was good info, I especially like the bit about using ctrl+down arrow to shrink a front line down and leave gaps between units. This was such a pain to do manually.
I'm glad it helped!

Agent355 posted:

E: what vermin discovery chance do people find it's normally pretty safe to shoot for? I don't think the AI actually makes those buildings that find undercities but heroes will wander around and I don't want to put resources into something just to lose it.
Like ravenfood, I try not to go above 60.

Anno posted:

Pretty sure this is the first time the game has been back above 45k concurrents since the first month. Makes me wonder if TWW3 keeps getting more and more time.
I hope TWW3 keeps getting more time if these DLCs are profitable, because anything they put in these DLCs probably contributes towards work that is going into TWW3. Things like the Script they added with Hunter and Beast to make starts more dynamic depending on where the player(s) start and now the turn time fix they added with this one are big things that can go into TWW3, making CA more money and TWW3 better in the process.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Dec 14, 2019

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Do the Warp Grinders get shot by towers that they are underneath that they are Grinding?

Sometimes yes sometimes no, they seem to try and grind it from the corners instead of directly in front of it and sometimes it seems like they're in a tower's blind spot, but it also seems like they aren't great at pathing there and walk around getting hit a bit.

Right now I'm only running the RoR shock cannon because it's early-ish in the campaign, but I'll use it to take out active towers and use the drillers to take out non active ones and walls. They tend to die pretty fast to archers on walls anyway.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Anno posted:

I suspect a lot of players have returned with the news of the improved turn times, but yeah, this is easily the post-launch peak.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

The improved turn timers are wonderful, my favourite part being that the camera no longer slowly and painfully pans across the map to show some random army moving.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Blooming Brilliant posted:

The improved turn timers are wonderful, my favourite part being that the camera no longer slowly and painfully pans across the map to show some random army moving.

One of the most popular mods on the workshop pre-patch fixed just that, but yeah not needed anymore.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

I hope TWW3 keeps getting more time if these DLCs are profitable, because anything they put in these DLCs probably contributes towards work that is going into TWW3. Things like the Script they added with Hunter and Beast to make starts more dynamic depending on where the player(s) start and now the turn time fix they added with this one are big things that can go into TWW3, making CA more money and TWW3 better in the process.

Assuming they actually learned a lesson about version control last time and we don't have a repeat of the Norsca debacle.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I dont know posted:

Assuming they actually learned a lesson about version control last time and we don't have a repeat of the Norsca debacle.

*laughs CAishly*

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I just got up to 380 hours played in Warhammer 2, about to pass Rome 1 with 396 hours as my most played Total War Game. I've played pretty much all of them except for Thrones of Britannia and 3 Kingdoms.

Warhammer 2 just has to many factions and they all play differently, even between some that are the same race. It's hard to go back to some previous total wars because the factions aren't nearly as diverse as what we have in the Warhammer setting.

Warhammer 2 is definitely my all time favorite total war.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I'm also pretty sure Total War Warhammer 1 and 2's success factored into GWs decision to bring back the setting as Warhammer The Old World in a few years.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Mustang posted:

I'm also pretty sure Total War Warhammer 1 and 2's success factored into GWs decision to bring back the setting as Warhammer The Old World in a few years.

Undoubtedly. They even ended the announcement by basically saying "go play TWW2 and Vermintide 2."

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012
There's no way to save your army formation between battles, right? Would save a lot of time during the deployment phase if you could simply use a standard loadout and tweak it as needed.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Malekith died 20 turns into my Malus campaign.

:negative:

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

My earlier complaining about Malus not being able to befriend Mors is pretty silly in light of the fact that basically all of Malus’s story is killing rats. I restarted, made better choices about friends, and now I’m doing well. I’m still surprised that they chose to tag the quest pop up armies as actual Skaven clans - I guess it makes sense, but one turn after the Eshin stacks popped into existence, Mors confederated Eshin, instantly slingshotting into #1 strength.

I also sold Hag Graef this time. You do lose a bit of trade initially (plus that awesome landmark building) but mostly I’m just happy that I don’t have to bother with the old world. It was really more trouble than it was worth.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Electronico6 posted:

Malekith died 20 turns into my Malus campaign.

:negative:

What happens to the rite if that happens?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Can Kemmler not recruit RoRs for anyone else? Or does the option appear after he reaches the level for one? I just started a campaign as him to check out his skill tree but noticed I didn't even have the option to open up the recruitment panel for RoRs, it just wasn't there, started up as the other vampire counts and they all had the option straight away.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

PerilPastry posted:

There's no way to save your army formation between battles, right? Would save a lot of time during the deployment phase if you could simply use a standard loadout and tweak it as needed.
if there was, I may never stop playing

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

What happens to the rite if that happens?

You get a lvl 1 hero of your choosing.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Electronico6 posted:

You get a lvl 1 hero of your choosing.

Glad Malekith made it to 40 settlements in my campaign

Edit: Why does Tehenahuin start with a Saurus building and no Skink building on the ME start? Is it just a troll from the devs to make sure you read the description of his prophecy mechanic?

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Dec 14, 2019

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Now with the improved turn timers it's official;

the worst thing about this game is it isn't called 'total warhammer'

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

if there was, I may never stop playing

throw in greater map variety and I'd be completely out of stuff to complain about!

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl

PerilPastry posted:

throw in greater map variety and I'd be completely out of stuff to complain about!

Oh poo poo what I wouldn’t give for map variety. Especially with cities. Make non-walled cities still actually fought on a city map, make walled cities more exciting than “climb walls, break gate, derp derp win”.

e: Hell, make it a $ dlc even and I would buy that poo poo in a heartbeat

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

What's the gold standard for lord skill tree rework mods right now? I guess there's probably going to be a wait for them to update for the new version.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Any tips for fighting Alith Anar as dark elves? Playing as Morathi for the first time and I saw his stack of nothing but shadow walkers and.....gently caress all I got are dread spears and dark shards and a hydra.

When I played as Malekith I encountered Alith Anar much later in the game where I didn't have to worry much about a stack of shadow walkers.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Dark Shards have always been the best way to handle every single race (except for wood elfs). Alith Anar usually tends to have a good chunk of unshielded infantry, and they drown under a flood of arrows the same as anyone.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

My concern is that his shadow walkers outrange my darkshards by quite a bit. Though true, they only have 30 armor and no shields.

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl

Mustang posted:

Any tips for fighting Alith Anar as dark elves? Playing as Morathi for the first time and I saw his stack of nothing but shadow walkers and.....gently caress all I got are dread spears and dark shards and a hydra.

When I played as Malekith I encountered Alith Anar much later in the game where I didn't have to worry much about a stack of shadow walkers.

Hydras running over shadow walkers while the dark shards mow them down is a solid strat. Plus abuse the poo poo out of Morathi’s spells and abilities; she can be great for obliterating walkers.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Mustang posted:

Playing on ME right? You have to rush him down fast.

Otherwise, right now chariots are in a good spot.

But if this is early ME, dark shards and ambush then pray.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

wiegieman posted:

What's the gold standard for lord skill tree rework mods right now? I guess there's probably going to be a wait for them to update for the new version.

Lucky's Overhaul had the best skill trees rework that lets you turn your lords into ungodly killing machines without minmaxing. Rather than investing in a bunch of skills, every level up lets you pick from one of three options which locks the other two. So you could have a high melee defence lord who now lacks health and melee attack. Or you make cavalry way stronger on the offensive but they don't get the big bonuses from the defensive option instead.

The mod also has the most devastating magic tweaks I've ever seen.

Earl Chestnuts
Feb 19, 2013
For some reason Malus's Black Ark captain got wounded after 1. going into battle and 2. selling off Hag Graef

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Yeah I'm on ME.

Just fought off a full stack from Tiranoc after consolidating the starting province. Now both Nagarythe and Hexoatl have declared war on me, both have a stronger strength rating than me.

I am using a Eevis mod that changes magic lords so my Morathi has bladestorm and a bunch of other magic abilities modded in.