Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

genericnick posted:

It's going to be Scotland trying to leave.

Yeah it will be. No one in Tory leadership will want to be the one who killed the union. Also there will probably be a shitbshow in Northern Ireland. There have already been attacks in the past two years and they’ll convince themselves its best to fight that too. Seriously could see the U.K. getting very dangerous over the next decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Jose posted:

just lol that they're claiming being left wing can't beat trump. this was entirely the result of 4 years of the media going all in monstering corbyn and brexit. absolutely no comparison to the US where funny how they never say centrism failed when clinton lost

yeah, it's dumb for a lot of reasons

also the conservative party campaigned for Brexit on protecting the NHS which is their universal healthcare system which these people are claiming is too far left to even be considered in the US...so there's a bit of irony in their argument

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Sedisp posted:

Corbyn had the classic problem of assuming the electorate understands what Brexit will do to them while also assuming they even cared if it meant less brown people.

If anything brexit means more brown people as the loss of the migrant workforce from europe is compensated by opening up migration from outside it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Crowsbeak posted:

Yeah it will be. No one in Tory leadership will want to be the one who killed the union. Also there will probably be a shitbshow in Northern Ireland. There have already been attacks in the past two years and they’ll convince themselves its best to fight that too. Seriously could see the U.K. getting very dangerous over the next decade.

Northern Ireland can decide to have a reunification referendum without needing Westminster to approve it so that seems likely. Lol that the dup are insane unionists and their support of the Tories and brexit is going to gently caress them over

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

kecske posted:

If anything brexit means more brown people as the loss of the migrant workforce from europe is compensated by opening up migration from outside it.

This. Tories are still a party controlled by capital and capital needs low wage easily exploited workers to import and use for agriculture as well as use in the construction of more empty buildings in London. There will be deals reached with Jamaica l, Zimbabwe and Pakistan. There will be more boatloads of foreigners, of course they will be given “guest permits” and probably made impossible to have citizenship. But more immigrants will come.

Jose posted:

Northern Ireland can decide to have a reunification referendum without needing Westminster to approve it so that seems likely. Lol that the dup are insane unionists and their support of the Tories and brexit is going to gently caress them over

Hmmm. But no one will let Scotland have a second referendum.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

They don't have a good Friday agreement

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Jose posted:

They don't have a good Friday agreement

today's Saturday tho

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

next time somebody should get boris to say assad must go before the election

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Jose posted:

just lol that they're claiming being left wing can't beat trump. this was entirely the result of 4 years of the media going all in monstering corbyn and brexit. absolutely no comparison to the US where funny how they never say centrism failed when clinton lost
and al gore. and kerry. obama faked progressivism

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Jose posted:

The secretary of state for NI is the one with the power to call it. The GFA states that they're supposed to do so if it appears likely that support for unification has a majority. Somehow I think giving them that much discretion may turn out to be a mistake.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Bryter posted:

The secretary of state for NI is the one with the power to call it. The GFA states that they're supposed to do so if it appears likely that support for unification has a majority. Somehow I think giving them that much discretion may turn out to be a mistake.

lol awesome

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
I think if the left wants to be taken seriously they should get nastier with the press. Like if they ask a leading question or for an apology just get verbally abusive. There is really no other rational reaction to the unified front of hostility, concern trolling, and d-notice puppetry.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Dmitri-9 posted:

I think if the left wants to be taken seriously they should get nastier with the press. Like if they ask a leading question or for an apology just get verbally abusive. There is really no other rational reaction to the unified front of hostility, concern trolling, and d-notice puppetry.

This. Really just treat journalists like the sub human scum they are. As to be a journalist nowadays means one from a young age wanted to live a life of subservience to a sociopath while lying. Also take advantage of your bonkers deflamation laws and sue when accused of antisemitism.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

almost all journalists in the UK are privately educated and went to oxbridge

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Jose posted:

almost all journalists in the UK are privately educated and went to oxbridge

Laura Kuenssberg is considered a plebby outsider because she only went to Edinburgh

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

must be why she sucks up to them so much

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Maybe this has been posted recently. If not, here you go.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

marktheando posted:

Laura Kuenssberg is considered a plebby outsider because she only went to Edinburgh

Edinburgh is quite a step below Oxbridge though, isn't it? Like, I went there and it hardly felt elite (and it has terrible student satisfaction rates which I can confirm are justified).

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Jose posted:

must be why she sucks up to them so much

Edinburgh, like St Andrews, is absolutely packed with posh cunts who failed to get into Oxbridge

Glasgow uni supremacy

Thom12255 posted:

Edinburgh is quite a step below Oxbridge though, isn't it? Like, I went there and it hardly felt elite (and it has terrible student satisfaction rates which I can confirm are justified).

It's one of the top universities in the country

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Heated Gaming Moment posted:

is brexit....bovine referendum encephalopathic x-it????

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

marktheando posted:

It's one of the top universities in the country

I suppose it is for the Art and Humanities - I was in the Engineering College and it wasn't even the top in the city.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Heated Gaming Moment posted:

lol this is amazing.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

spacemang_spliff posted:

It seems to me that Labour was pretty evenly split between remain and leave and so Labour was essentially hosed considering how divided people are on remain and leave. Like there was really no way to make a coherent argument that wouldn't alienate half of Labour.

Am I understanding this correctly?

Pretty much. Labour's only chance in hindsight was to get their own "get Brexit done" style message off something like the NHS or waspi or the housing problem and moved harder on investment in the North. There was never any winning an election that polarised on Brexit and this one did, hard. Labour democratically decided the policy at conference and it was obvious Jeremy was never comfortable with it.

Instead we had so many policies that messaging was diluted as hell and a lot of activists didn't have a handle on the local issues on the doorstep.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

spacemang_spliff posted:

yeah, it's dumb for a lot of reasons

also the conservative party campaigned for Brexit on protecting the NHS which is their universal healthcare system which these people are claiming is too far left to even be considered in the US...so there's a bit of irony in their argument

brexit is going to protect the gently caress out of nhs, i'm so stoked for all my brit sisters & brothers out there who will hopefully get to experience the full gamut of american healthcare, not only from the expected stuff like being denied coverage on a whim, but the real good stuff like having prescription medicine advertised directly to consumers. no longer will you have to sit on your couch watching tv wondering if there's a drug for pseudobulbar affect, danny glover & avanir pharmaceuticals have got you covered. they'll even pretend to be an advocacy group so you don't realize you're being hard sold!

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

hallebarrysoetoro posted:

brexit is going to protect the gently caress out of nhs, i'm so stoked for all my brit sisters & brothers out there who will hopefully get to experience the full gamut of american healthcare, not only from the expected stuff like being denied coverage on a whim, but the real good stuff like having prescription medicine advertised directly to consumers. no longer will you have to sit on your couch watching tv wondering if there's a drug for pseudobulbar affect, danny glover & avanir pharmaceuticals have got you covered. they'll even pretend to be an advocacy group so you don't realize you're being hard sold!

Those ads are for doctors actually because you can't trust them to make decisions based off the latest medical journals and research to keep up with the current science instead of an ad where an old guy plays frisbee with a golden retriever while a cover of a 60s rock song that was originally about dying of heroin addiction plays in the background.

Its sort of like the ads on the DC subway for multi-billion dollar fighter jets and missile defense systems which is also a thing that exists in our hell country

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

well the EU are talking about extending the transition period if boris does as expected and doesn't bother to

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

is the eu plan at this pt to just not allow brexit

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

McDonnell stepping down from frontline politics. Not going to be going for leadership or even shadow cabinet.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...t-idUSKBN1YI0BV

To be honest I don't even know what kind of pool you guys have available for leadership so I hope there's some charismatic leftist firebrand in there who's just not been given the limelight yet.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Squizzle posted:

is the eu plan at this pt to just not allow brexit

The EU loves being anti-democratic so this is entirely within character for them.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Okay is "eu leadership extends forever so brexit never happens" the actual funniest outcome

Other than Scotland seceding, ni joining Ireland, Wales leaving, and then Cornwall leaving of course

Missingnoleader
Mar 10, 2014

silvergoose posted:

Okay is "eu leadership extends forever so brexit never happens" the actual funniest outcome

Other than Scotland seceding, ni joining Ireland, Wales leaving, and then Cornwall leaving of course

Imagine growing up with the British Empire and now being left with England.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Crowsbeak posted:

Part of how the Soviet Union fell apart was secessionist Republican governments doing a tax revolt where they stopped sending funds to Moscow. If Bojo denies an Indy ref I could see that being Scotland's only option.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
Wales has been fully assimilated and will never leave England because roughly 70% of it's inhabitants are retirees from Paedoshire.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Zedhe Khoja posted:

Wales has been fully assimilated and will never leave England because roughly 70% of it's inhabitants are retirees from Paedoshire.

Okay fine but I still want cornwexit

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Part of how the Soviet Union fell apart was secessionist Republican governments doing a tax revolt where they stopped sending funds to Moscow. If Bojo denies an Indy ref I could see that being Scotland's only option.

I don't believe there are separate tax institutions between Scotland and the rest of the UK (excluding council tax maybe?) but I'm far from an expert.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Phigs posted:

McDonnell stepping down from frontline politics. Not going to be going for leadership or even shadow cabinet.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...t-idUSKBN1YI0BV

To be honest I don't even know what kind of pool you guys have available for leadership so I hope there's some charismatic leftist firebrand in there who's just not been given the limelight yet.

McDonnell was never going to go for front man, he isn’t interested. One of the reasons I like him so much. Let’s hope his ideas don’t get buried, they’re awesome.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

CoolCab posted:

I don't believe there are separate tax institutions between Scotland and the rest of the UK (excluding council tax maybe?) but I'm far from an expert.

I think people would have to just stop paying tax like in 1989.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

The EU should blockade the channel to keep any posh cunts from leaving the cursed isle, shouldn't be hard since the royal navy has like 2 functioning ships at the moment

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lord of Pie posted:

The EU should blockade the channel to keep any posh cunts from leaving the cursed isle, shouldn't be hard since the royal navy has like 2 functioning ships at the moment

Also should do a Dunkirk on all the boomers with second retirement homes on the continent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Lord of Pie posted:

Easy, just convince the French to go on strike and shut down the channel ports for a few days and that would probably bring the entire south of this hell country to a standstill