Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/chri...4b0d50f32b29278

murphy thinks there might be five or 6 senators in favor of impeachment.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campai...onvicting-trump

weld agrees.

i doubt it means poo poo but gently caress if i know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Djarum posted:

Thing is he was a Democrat until he decided to run for office. He has always been racist though.

I just had a thought. So a former President has Secret Service protection for life after office. With him grifting them currently for protection if a Democrat wins next fall I wonder if they will take it away due to abuse?

And even more interesting question, let’s say he is tried and convicted after office does he still have Secret Service protection in prison?

To the latter problem, probably, but I imagine it's substantially cheaper and easier :v:

Gotta be a poo poo tier assignment though

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Dapper_Swindler posted:

weld agrees.

Great only 14 more to go.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Great only 14 more to go.

its at least enough to keep them from killing the trial outright and possibly the witness less one.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

weld agrees.

Both of these 404 for me :thunk:

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

hanales posted:

Yeah same here.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Djarum posted:

Thing is he was a Democrat until he decided to run for office. He has always been racist though.

I just had a thought. So a former President has Secret Service protection for life after office. With him grifting them currently for protection if a Democrat wins next fall I wonder if they will take it away due to abuse?

And even more interesting question, let’s say he is tried and convicted after office does he still have Secret Service protection in prison?

Former President SS coverage is for national security purposes. Don't want the guy who used to know all that stuff getting kidnapped or something. So assuming the universe is not a kind place and the fat mother fucker doesn't stroke out and die before he's a former president, yes he'd get the protection. He would not be the president though, so any other president could tell him to pound sand up his rear end instead of getting multimillion dollar contracts to his own hotels.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

bird food bathtub posted:

Former President SS coverage is for national security purposes. Don't want the guy who used to know all that stuff getting kidnapped or something.
Yeah it's legit horrifying that this numpty is going to go around with unrestrained Twitter access after he's done.

Nothing like opening the news and reading about how Trump blew an intelligence op because he wanted to dunk on whomever is in the office.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

hanales posted:

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5df34c1ce4b0ca713e5d0fb5

Not enough for removal, but I think it's better if it's not a party-line vote.

Acute Grill fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Dec 14, 2019

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

there's an interesting piece in WaPo basically saying that McConnell's vow to acquit trump and make it as easy as possible is actively hurting his purple state senators and opening up lanes for democrats to make sure they DO get witnesses and such. too soon to completely see how the dems handle those takes, but responses so far have been good, and it really does seem like an own-goal for McConnell.

like yes obviously that's what he wants to do, but there's 4-5 people who probably can't sign their name onto a sham process where every republican is saying WE ARE GOING TO MAKE SURE THIS PROCESS IS A SHAM out loud constantly

and before anyone says anything: yes I know they're obviously going to acquit, the actually-interesting question is what rules will be in place and how much political toll this takes on the party, and things are kinda looking up for us on that last part

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Former President SS coverage is for national security purposes. Don't want the guy who used to know all that stuff getting kidnapped or something. So assuming the universe is not a kind place and the fat mother fucker doesn't stroke out and die before he's a former president, yes he'd get the protection. He would not be the president though, so any other president could tell him to pound sand up his rear end instead of getting multimillion dollar contracts to his own hotels.
"sir ex-president trump was kidnapped and he talked immediately. the bad news is he told them everything he knows."
"and the good news?"
"it took two and a half minutes."

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

FilthyImp posted:

Yeah it's legit horrifying that this numpty is going to go around with unrestrained Twitter access after he's done.

Nothing like opening the news and reading about how Trump blew an intelligence op because he wanted to dunk on whomever is in the office.

There is a 100% certainty that he will leak state secrets on twitter after he's left office to sabotage the next president.

"I would NEVER send troops into Syria next Monday. Bad move!"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Whenever Trump stays at his own properties, have the SS stay at someone else's nearby. Every morning they come over and take up all the parking spaces, clog the hallways, etc without spending any money.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

hanales posted:

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Yeah same here.

poo poo, same. sorry about that.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Dapper_Swindler posted:

its at least enough to keep them from killing the trial outright and possibly the witness less one.

Yup, and it fucks the narrative it was a solely partisan process.

Short of a vote for removal it's the best outcome, and if they capitulate to Trump's desire to have a circus and call new witnesses it opens up new testimony.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

hanales posted:

404 senators for impeachment? That's probably wishful thinking, buddy!

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

InsertPotPun posted:

"sir ex-president trump was kidnapped and he talked immediately. the bad news is he told them everything he knows."
"and the good news?"
"it took two and a half minutes."

Admittedly, yes. Good luck getting national secrets out of the decaying pudding brains he's got left and having them not be based on right wing fever swamps bullshit like "crowd strike Ukraine DNC server"

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Gatts posted:

What circumstances can there be to have GOP turn on Mitch? Needs more risk of Senators losing their seats but they seem to want to go down with ship

Full on apocalypse. You'd need several of the major players in the GOP Senate looking at being hard primaried or facing an overwhelmingly popular challenger at home before they even consider it.

The Republican party had become an arm of the Trump Campaign due to how all in they are, so opposing his man in the Senate without a clear existential threat at home kills their chance of reelection.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

SubG posted:

If I had to lay money, I'd bet that there are a couple that are squeaky clean because they're actually Boy Scouts or whatever, but that a huge swath of them are compromised in some way. Not that they're Russian moles, or they've been receiving briefcases of rubles or anything, but just that there's something that they really don't want getting out that they were enticed into one way or another as part of Russian intelligence operations.

Like in the NRA stuff, I really don't think that a bunch of GRU guys showed up and asked NRA leadership hey want to do some crimes, we can pay. But just think, say, about the kind of poo poo Sasha Baron Cohen can get people to do, being basically a dorky-looking dude who just acts friendly, pretends to share a lot of the same interests as his targets, and asks nicely. Now imagine that instead of being approached by him, you're approached by someone you find extremely attractive, who shares your interests, and is really into that thing in bed that you like to do. Or maybe you're a mediocre at best businessman and they're very interested in your next project and have money to back that interest up. Or whatever. And you never have to do anything too sketchy. But one day your lover really needs a favour or your business partner needs you to lie on some paperwork or whatever the gently caress. And then a) you're on the hook, and b) you're actually more likely to trust them, because, you know, now you're both in it together or whatever. And since we know Russia has actively been loving with US politics, and they've got a lot of people who engage in this sort of activity for a living....

Well, I mean you've seen these guys in action the past couple weeks. Do you really think they're impregnable fortresses of morality? That their minds are just too keen to be out-manoeuvred or manipulated by a dedicated adversary with the resources of a state behind them?

Again: this doesn't require imagining crazy super spy poo poo, sleeper cells and deep cover moles and numbered bank accounts. It's just stupid human frailty operating in an environment devoid of leadership from the top, clarity of purpose, transparency, or a general institutional commitment to ethics and responsibility. In a world where Trump and Giuliani get away with what they get away with, where they're comfortable going on loving TV and arguing of course you take the call, of course that foreign power should investigate them, Russia if you're listening, and so on, the only reason why these lapses would not be taken advantage of is if there was nobody out there willing or with the resources to capitalise on them.

Wow I think this is probably the most depressing thing I've read in a while. It makes perfect sense too, as we've done it to other countries via the CIA since WW2 ended, maybe our uppance has come. Targeting MOC's who are as stupid as Duncan Hunter and Matt Gaetz can't be all that difficult.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

nice title

https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1205925988653260805

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Love how they caveat that it's not from the news department, as if that will stop bad faith arguments conflating the two

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

ewiley posted:

Wow I think this is probably the most depressing thing I've read in a while. It makes perfect sense too, as we've done it to other countries via the CIA since WW2 ended, maybe our uppance has come. Targeting MOC's who are as stupid as Duncan Hunter and Matt Gaetz can't be all that difficult.
It doesn't just make sense, we've seen it in action, recently, and we can break it down step-by-step. Or at least unless we accept Roger Stone's wild-rear end counter-conspiracy theories or whatever. Wikileaks was actively working as a cutout for Russian intelligence and members of the Trump campaign and administration were active consumers of the content that was being funneled to them. There was never a moment in any of it when there was a Do You Want To Collaborate With The Russians [Y/N] prompt came up or anything. It was just that one side had a problem and the other side was peddling something that looked like a solution.

More or less the same reason Fox was peddling the Seth Rich conspiracy, which we know was a Russian disinformation effort and we can track it's release and spread. It isn't that anyone at Fox went to the Russians and asked for something, and it wasn't that the Russians directly contacted Fox and offered something. Russia had a goal: undermine the Clinton campaign to assist Trump. It turns out that that goal was shared by Fox. So all Russia had to do was to craft a tool, drop the tool in a public place, and then wait for Fox (or someone like them) to come along and pick it up.

And that's all 100% hands-off poo poo. It's a self-working magic trick. When you have people who are constantly pushing the ethical boundaries in everything (e.g. accepting funds for political campaigns, obtaining information on political opponents or whatever) then that opens up additional avenues of approach which are potentially huge loving opportunities for anyone willing to take advantage of them, specifically with an eye to get you to do something that looks like it's bending the rules a little but turns out to have greater consequences.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Shamelessly stealing this link.

https://twitter.com/RawStory/status...pagenumber%3D80

The mask is really, really off with this impeachment.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

ewiley posted:

I'm sorry your monocle popped off for finally realizing something that has been happening for decades. You cracked the case, bud!

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

1glitch0 posted:

I'm sorry your monocle popped off for finally realizing something that has been happening for decades. You cracked the case, bud!

please refrain from being a dick, thank you

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

Djarum posted:

But that's the thing, it isn't Trump's base. It is the Republican base. People love to harp on how Trump's Republican approval ratings are so high but George W Bush had actually the same or higher during his presidency. Only in his last year of office did it start to slip at all. So it seems like that narrative has been played on the entire country that it is somehow all Trump loyalists isn't really true nor is he really as popular in the party as he appears.

I don't know if I believe this but I don't think I don't not believe it (?). Do you have anything to back this up other than Bush had similar numbers?

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

Shamelessly stealing this link.

https://twitter.com/RawStory/status...pagenumber%3D80

The mask is really, really off with this impeachment.

The mask came off when the Senate Republicans went against the Constitution and refused to allow Obama to name a Supreme Court Justice when Scalia died.

I mean, how could anyone believe they had any respect for the Constitution after that? It's just a means to an end for these fucks. Mask's been gone for a while, my friend. We're past the mask and just about to the point where the Republicans start swaffling us.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Lol that the megabrain founders included no mechanisms for "well what if they decide to just not do their jobs?"

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

FilthyImp posted:

Lol that the megabrain founders included no mechanisms for "well what if they decide to just not do their jobs?"

Well then you just get them to impeach each other.

:thunk:

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
y'all do realize that the senate is going to acquit, the SC is going to force Trump to release financial records and then those records are still not going to get released? It's because there is no repercussion for it as the Senate and DOJ are fully under trump's control

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Strange Poon posted:

I don't know if I believe this but I don't think I don't not believe it (?). Do you have anything to back this up other than Bush had similar numbers?

I dunno what else to back it up other than looking at the approval numbers. Objectively you could make the argument that Trump maybe less popular due to so many Republicans fleeing the party since he became president.

W was wildly unpopular but kept nearly the same numbers. That shows several things. They are at the rock bottom. Who is left are the true believers and there is no way to lose them at this point. Trump and his base is just another con. It is just a bunch of con men and grifters taking advantage of the Republican base.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Djarum posted:

I dunno what else to back it up other than looking at the approval numbers. Objectively you could make the argument that Trump maybe less popular due to so many Republicans fleeing the party since he became president.

W was wildly unpopular but kept nearly the same numbers. That shows several things. They are at the rock bottom. Who is left are the true believers and there is no way to lose them at this point. Trump and his base is just another con. It is just a bunch of con men and grifters taking advantage of the Republican base.

yeah polling is super suspect right now bc representative demos are a complete wild card. Basing it on normal demographics is probably the worst because Trump post election defectors are highly unlikely to admit that they're republicans. 2016 turnout is bad too because minorities stayed home. Also RV and LV screens vs full population is a total wild card

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

FilthyImp posted:

That's why we have elections

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

oxsnard posted:

yeah polling is super suspect right now bc representative demos are a complete wild card. Basing it on normal demographics is probably the worst because Trump post election defectors are highly unlikely to admit that they're republicans. 2016 turnout is bad too because minorities stayed home. Also RV and LV screens vs full population is a total wild card

I was looking pure approval ratings, which has been incredibly steady.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

oxsnard posted:

y'all do realize that the senate is going to acquit, the SC is going to force Trump to release financial records and then those records are still not going to get released? It's because there is no repercussion for it as the Senate and DOJ are fully under trump's control

if the SC upholds the subpoenas, as they should, lower civil courts are going to start runner stamping civil penalties for non compliance (if the various entities with the records don't unilaterally comply without being forced)

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Djarum posted:

I was looking pure approval ratings, which has been incredibly steady.

Something happened to the polls starting in December 2017, when the tax cut happened. They were wildly volatile before then and then they climbed to where they are today and have just sat there. The tax cuts were and are not wildly popular bc most people didn't really see much difference, the market has barfed twice since and a bunch of motherfucking crazy rear end poo poo has happened but they've stayed remarkably steady since. My guess is that there's a systemic error in the polls and they're catching the die hard Trumpers and oversampling them by self selection (Republicans sick of Trump stopped answering) or demographic errors, e.g. correcting for party. Don't get me wrong, I'm guessing they should be flat because no one is changing their mind at this point, but I think the actual approval levels at this point are probably closer to the December 17 bottom and steady

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

FilthyImp posted:

They'd just fought a war over more or less that exact issue. It's why they needed a new constitution in the first place. They just figured that if the entire system poo poo the bed everyone would just avail themselves of political violence up to and including bloody rebellion, same as they just did.

But today if you're not in some wingnut militia or something you're unlikely to feel the same way. So we've (mostly) successfully pushed political violence out of the mainstream. For domestic issues at least. But we haven't implemented any of the various parliamentary devices invented in the past couple hundred years to help democracies deal with this kind of thing.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

SubG posted:

It doesn't just make sense, we've seen it in action, recently, and we can break it down step-by-step. Or at least unless we accept Roger Stone's wild-rear end counter-conspiracy theories or whatever. Wikileaks was actively working as a cutout for Russian intelligence and members of the Trump campaign and administration were active consumers of the content that was being funneled to them. There was never a moment in any of it when there was a Do You Want To Collaborate With The Russians [Y/N] prompt came up or anything. It was just that one side had a problem and the other side was peddling something that looked like a solution.

More or less the same reason Fox was peddling the Seth Rich conspiracy, which we know was a Russian disinformation effort and we can track it's release and spread. It isn't that anyone at Fox went to the Russians and asked for something, and it wasn't that the Russians directly contacted Fox and offered something. Russia had a goal: undermine the Clinton campaign to assist Trump. It turns out that that goal was shared by Fox. So all Russia had to do was to craft a tool, drop the tool in a public place, and then wait for Fox (or someone like them) to come along and pick it up.

And that's all 100% hands-off poo poo. It's a self-working magic trick. When you have people who are constantly pushing the ethical boundaries in everything (e.g. accepting funds for political campaigns, obtaining information on political opponents or whatever) then that opens up additional avenues of approach which are potentially huge loving opportunities for anyone willing to take advantage of them, specifically with an eye to get you to do something that looks like it's bending the rules a little but turns out to have greater consequences.

I just want to say thanks for a really compressed way of phrasing something I've been trying to articulate for awhile to someone irl. Well put, dude. Cheers.

unnoticed
Nov 29, 2005

That's odd...
How much of a say does John Roberts have in all this? Like since he's presiding is it really up to him on calling witnesses?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

unnoticed posted:

How much of a say does John Roberts have in all this? Like since he's presiding is it really up to him on calling witnesses?

It's his choice to sign off on a subpoena or not. If he refuses, he can be overruled by 51 votes.

He can't call any witnesses himself.