Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Hexyflexy posted:

McDonnell was never going to go for front man, he isn’t interested. One of the reasons I like him so much. Let’s hope his ideas don’t get buried, they’re awesome.

He tried to run in 2010.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
voters hated Corbyn. That is a major factor for the loss. The manifesto was overstuffed and perceived as unfeasible. Brexit was a fudge but it was hard to thread that needle. As for a hostile media, that’s not limited to Corbyn. Every labour leader pretty much has had it, but Corbyn’s ratings were still historically low. He’s a bad leader, a bad politician and a bad campaigner.

Or you could just blame everyone and everything else other than the leader who led the party to its worse loss in 80 years or so.

therattle has issued a correction as of 18:38 on Dec 14, 2019

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
with corbyn it was all in in a way that it wasn't with miliband. it'll happen to whoever comes next though since they've seen it works better than ever

also brought on by the civil war labour has been in since he was made leader. especially by people who pushed for the second referendum

the worst bit of his leadership was not just doing a purge of the PLP like boris did

Jose has issued a correction as of 18:42 on Dec 14, 2019

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

therattle posted:

voters hated Corbyn. That is a major factor for the loss. The manifesto was overstuffed and perceived as unfeasible. Brexit was a fudge but it was hard to thread that needle. As for a hostile media, that’s not limited to Corbyn. Every labour leader pretty much has had it, but Corbyn’s ratings were still historically low. He’s a bad leader, a bad politician and a bad campaigner.

Or you could just blame everyone and everything else other than the leader who led the party to its worse loss in 80 years or so.

Some people hated Corbyn but there is a simple A/B test between 2017 and 2019. Labor swallowed the brexit poison and it lost seats.

Juliet Whisky
Jan 14, 2017

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Part of how the Soviet Union fell apart was secessionist Republican governments doing a tax revolt where they stopped sending funds to Moscow. If Bojo denies an Indy ref I could see that being Scotland's only option.

The Scottish Government doesn't collect taxes, it is funded by a block grant from Westminster.

The new referendum will be going ahead with or without the Tories' permission, Holyrood was about to do it two years ago but then there was a terrorist attack in London followed by a general election.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Juliet Whisky posted:

The Scottish Government doesn't collect taxes, it is funded by a block grant from Westminster.

The new referendum will be going ahead with or without the Tories' permission, Holyrood was about to do it two years ago but then there was a terrorist attack in London followed by a general election.

hey that happened again

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

therattle posted:

I love to check out the rap sheets of losers who love to divebomb the UK threads after an election loss

BAN posted:

I can't think of a single worthwhile post you have ever made, all you do is hang out in general chat, popping up every fifty pages to ask what happened in the last fifty pages and even then you usually take the time to post some poo poo directed at me, so you'll understand when I say I really don't want you around here anymore.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Also people can bang on about Corbyn being a bad campaigner but Yvette Cooper or Andy Burnham are exactly the kind of suited up cunts that people in Mansfield and Blythe Valley were wanting to vote out

It's going to be really depressing to have to put up with Yvette Cooper turning the "gotta get more racist" dial and talking about "white working class anxiety" for the next however many months

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Lord of Pie posted:

The EU should blockade the channel to keep any posh cunts from leaving the cursed isle, shouldn't be hard since the royal navy has like 2 functioning ships at the moment

Operation Paukenschlag 2020 looking good

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
except for the anti EU bullshit corbyn was good actually

it’s just a shame he ended up being in the labour party at the time when that is the only thing that matters

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

MikeCrotch posted:

I love to check out the rap sheets of losers who love to divebomb the UK threads after an election loss

ooh, ice burn, quoting from a ban from 2012.

This thread is obviously pretty pro-Corbyn, and displays the same refusal to admit fault on his part that he does. Apart from the core of Corbyn/Momentum supporters pretty much every commentator, within Labour and without, agrees that his campaign was crap, voters hated him (I do concede that the media was particularly hostile, but it was also because of things like support for the IRA, Assad and Hezbollah). Again, the worst loss in decades and decades and nobody will attribute responsibility to him?

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Grape posted:

2079: Neo-Turkey, desperate for low wage workers to take the jobs their wealthy population doesn't want to do, turns to an often forgotten Ex-UK nation for migrant wage earners. The reddish stout men of "Anghland" are superstitious, serf like, and generally unpleasant to look at. But they thirst for good work and will put up drywall for plates of old fish.
any plate of fish gonna be 50 years old by 2079

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Supporting the IRA, Assad and Hezbollah are all good.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

therattle posted:

ooh, ice burn, quoting from a ban from 2012.

This thread is obviously pretty pro-Corbyn, and displays the same refusal to admit fault on his part that he does. Apart from the core of Corbyn/Momentum supporters pretty much every commentator, within Labour and without, agrees that his campaign was crap, voters hated him (I do concede that the media was particularly hostile, but it was also because of things like support for the IRA, Assad and Hezbollah). Again, the worst loss in decades and decades and nobody will attribute responsibility to him?
Go on home Tory soldier.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

It wouldn't surprise me to learn that members of the media got angry at Corbyn for lies they themselves made up.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Phigs posted:

It wouldn't surprise me to learn that members of the media got angry at Corbyn for lies they themselves made up.

labour released a video of all the times commentators wrote 2 different articles arguing the opposite thing from the first about corbyn

Juliet Whisky
Jan 14, 2017
Corbyn was good and blaming him for the result will be a disaster for the Labour Party.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
yeah he is very bad at promoting his party and his policies, which are mostly alright, the ones he got written down anyway. his long standing euroscepticism has always been a huge issue, and so has his association with extremists in the context of the international “antiimperialist” (read: people who think only the west can be imperialist) left. those two things ended up dragging him down a ton in their various manifestations

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Juliet Whisky posted:

Corbyn was good and blaming him for the result will be a disaster for the Labour Party.

naw I'm sure Stephen Kinnock is gonna lead the party into a new majority after the media will refuse to report on his nonexistent antisemitism

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Zedhe Khoja posted:

Go on home Tory soldier.

Powerful argument there.

I’m a Labour member. One can disagree with Dear Leader without being a Tory, fascist etc.

Labour lost votes in almost every seat.

quote:

The Observer’s pollsters Opinium have revealed their own analysis of the reasons people rejected Labour: 43% cited the leadership, 17% its policy on Brexit, and 12% its economic policies. Among Labour defectors – those who voted Labour in 2017 but didn’t this time – 37% mentioned the leadership, 21% Brexit and 6% its economic policies.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/dec/14/i-saw-just-how-many-voters-were-hostile-to-jeremy-corbyn?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

He should've hosed off the melts who wanted a second referendum and leaned into his Euroscepticism. Another bad feature of his leadership even if it would have upset the members

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Jose posted:

He should've hosed off the melts who wanted a second referendum and leaned into his Euroscepticism. Another bad feature of his leadership even if it would have upset the members

https://twitter.com/johnross43/status/1205581574168727552?s=21

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

wait until the folks in cspam hear this guy supports hezbollah! theyre gonna be ashamed of their words and deeds then

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

therattle posted:

I’m a Labour member. One can disagree with Dear Leader without being a Tory, fascist etc.

therattle posted:

(I do concede that the media was particularly hostile, but it was also because of things like support for the IRA, Assad and Hezbollah)

next time you try this consider not having the mask slip immediately

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
the problem is rather that the voters heard about it

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

therattle posted:

Powerful argument there.

Labour lost votes in almost every seat.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/dec/14/i-saw-just-how-many-voters-were-hostile-to-jeremy-corbyn?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

If you're anti-republican and pro empire you're a loving Tory by definition.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

the problem is rather that the voters heard about it

the problem is that the entire election narrative was brexit above everything

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

he should have purged them after the second coup and said labours policy was soft brexit

its why i always wanted mcdonnell as the leader

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

just lmao that remainers rejected the second referendum fig leaf and decided to lose even bigger

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Yeah they tried to extend an olive branch with the second referendum and the Liberal Democrats bit him like the snakes they are. Those numbers mean nothing to the political reality.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Yinlock posted:

next time you try this consider not having the mask slip immediately

It was about what the electorate perceived. I suspect that British and probably more English voters perceive Hamas, IRA etc as violent extremists and probably terrorists. it’s not really a vote winner, is it?

Zedhe Khoja posted:

If you're anti-republican and pro empire you're a loving Tory by definition.

I’m not sure how you impute that from what I wrote. You also completely ignored the survey results and article. It’s almost like you’re resorting to ad hominem attack because your can’t argue with the facts.

therattle has issued a correction as of 19:53 on Dec 14, 2019

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
the last two years may have clouded your judgement fellas but being anti EU is still as xenophobic as it has always been. the uk losing its mind doesn’t change this one bit

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

He is right that the English are servile pigs whose life's dream is to have the Queen step on them in lieu of a carpet.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

the last two years may have clouded your judgement fellas but being anti EU is still as xenophobic as it has always been. the uk losing its mind doesn’t change this one bit

hating the eu for being a neoliberal cesspit is fine and good

hating the eu because immigrants is bad

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

soft brexit isn't much of a brexit tbh but lets most people be happy its finally over

THS
Sep 15, 2017

therattle posted:

It was about what the electorate perceived. I suspect that British and probably more English voters perceive Hamas, IRA etc as violent extremists and probably terrorists. it’s not really a vote winner, is it?

lol if you think english voters had hamas in even the top 50 of things that mattered to them over brexit. shut the gently caress up liberal

THS
Sep 15, 2017

this is your brain on british newspapers

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

THS posted:

lol if you think english voters had hamas in even the top 50 of things that mattered to them over brexit. shut the gently caress up liberal

THS
Sep 15, 2017

im gay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Anyway absolute vote numbers don't mean much except to gauage the proportion of the population that will need to be violently re-educated. What really counts is how many districts flipped and why, because the amount of people who voted Brexit is tiny compared to their impact in the districts that Brexit ran in - and it's disingenuous to pretend that the much larger amount of remainer traitors were decisive on their own.