Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LuffyVeggies
Mar 11, 2016
Wording trouble. It's a trick question.

Floyd is wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

More is more, right?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Floyd, you're wrong but this is one of the ones I hope it schrodingers into his being right

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Remember the "Any Year is A Number" message? 1,997 dollar bills are worth more than 1,902 dollar bills.

So, obviously, Floyd is right. :v:

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Floyd, have you ever heard of a little thing called inflation? You're wrong.

PumpkinBat
Oct 22, 2012

rudecyrus posted:

Remember the "Any Year is A Number" message? 1,997 dollar bills are worth more than 1,902 dollar bills.

:aaaaa:

It didn't occur to me that this clue would come into play this quickly.

rudecyrus posted:

So, obviously, Floyd is right. :v:

Of course! Floyd is indeed right!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Floyd knows his money

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Floyd is wrong

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Floyd is so wrong.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Honestly, it's not even a particularly good trick question.

quote:

As you open your mouth to answer, something pops into your brain. The message from the maze – “Any Year Is A Number.”

“1902 and 1997,” you mutter. Hmmmmmm. Both are years.

But both are also numbers!

Hey, there is a catch to this money test!

“Come on, kid, what’s your answer?” Big Buck demands.

“1,997 dollar bills are worth much more than 1,902,” you declare.

“Um, eh, ah, er,” Big Buck stammers.

“I just beat you, Big Buck!” You grin. “We won!”

“Don’t forget your prize!” Patty pipes up.

“Prize. Right.” Big Buck reaches under the counter and hands you a battered instant camera. “Here. Now beat it!”

It’s not a great prize. But considering you’re at the Carnival of Horrors, it could be a lot worse.

“Let me take your picture,” you say to Patty and Floyd.

They pose in front of the booth. The camera flashes, and a moment later the picture slides out.

But Patty and Floyd don’t smile up at you from the snapshot.

Instead, it’s a picture of your friends screaming in terror as carnival creatures chase them!

quote:

“What’s wrong?” Patty asks. “Did Floyd make a dopey face?”

Silently, you show them the picture.

“It’s a trick,” Floyd scoffs. “They probably told Big Buck to give it to you if you won. They’re trying to psych you out.”

They’re doing a good job! you think. You don’t know about Patty and Floyd, but you’re really spooked. The picture reminds you of a GOOSEBUMPS story you read called Say Cheese and Die! It was about a camera that took pictures of the future. Usually the pictures showed terrible things to come.

“Do you think you can keep winning games?” Patty frets. “How many have you won, anyway? Enough to challenge Big Al?”

“Didn’t you use the rides to escape before?” Floyd asks.

You stare unhappily at the picture. Which choice will land your friends in trouble?

You wish you had someone to ask for advice. But the only others around are the weird carnival people.

If you seek advice from the carnival people, go to PAGE 114.

If you try the rides, go to PAGE 122.

If you've already won three games, turn to PAGE 127.

The first two options both take us places we've already been, so let's move on to the final showdown!

quote:

“Okay,” you announce. “I won three games. And we have the camera.” You take a deep breath. “I think it’s time to challenge Big Al.”

“All right!” Patty cheers. “Let’s beat him!”

You, Patty, and Floyd go back to the tent where you met the ghoul-boy in the knickers. He’s still lurking in the shadows.

As you walk up, he darts out and grabs your wrist with an icy hand.

“Did you get it?” he demands in a whisper. His face looks even paler than you remember. “Do you have the camera?”

quote:

“As a matter-of-fact, I do have a camera,” you declare. You pull out the instant camera you won earlier. The one that reminded you of that GOOSEBUMPS story Say Cheese and Die! “But I don’t know if –“

The boy doesn’t let you finish. “Great. Let’s line up here.” He beckons to a passing girl. “Would you mind snapping us?”

The pale-faced young woman wears a long skirt and a bonnet. But she must have used instant cameras before. She points and clicks. A moment later, a picture is developing in your palm.

You stare at the strange photo. You and Floyd aren’t in it! Instead, it shows the boy in the cap shaking hands with a grinning Big Al. Patty has a horrified look on her face. Letters gleam on the signboard robot with the words:

FINAL SCORE:

Beside Big Al, the score reads: 53507

Beside Patty, it reads: 34

Before you can figure out what the picture means, a loud, hearty voice calls you. “I understand you want to play a little game,” the voice booms.

Yikes! It’s Big Al!

quote:

The signboard robot clanks over to stand by Big Al.

“What are we going to do?” Patty asks, gazing at the photo in terror.

“Simple,” you answer in a low voice. “We make sure Big Al doesn’t play against you.” Then you call to the carnival manager, “I’m ready for the final challenge!”

“Fine,” Big Al replies. “I’ll just pick the game –“

“Why should you?” you interrupt. “I think I should choose.”

“Oh, no,” the carnival manager disagrees. “According to the rules on your ticket...”

“What ticket?” you demand. “I never got a ticket.”

“No?” Big Al cries, shocked. “Quick! Print them a ticket, Igor.”

The signboard robot clicks and whirs. A ticket large enough to be a poster pops out of its top.

“According to clause three of paragraph eight,” Big Al begins.

You grab for the gigantic ticket. “Let me see – YOWTCH!”

The ticket flies from your hand as you dance around in agony. The edges on that ticket are as sharp as razor blades!

Floyd reaches to catch the fluttering cardboard.

“DON’T!” you yell.

quote:

In spite of your warning, Floyd reaches for the ticket. He grabs it and yelps in pain.

You and Floyd stare at each other as you both realize the awful truth. You’ve both injured your video-game-playing hands!

“What rotten luck,” Big Al purrs. “Well, there’s still one member of your team who can play. And as it says right there” – he points to the ticket on the ground – “I get to choose the game. And I choose Super-Fiend. I’m the carnival champ!”

You have no choice. Patty starts playing. She tries her best at the unfamiliar game, but – well, you know the score.

Big Al’s booming laughter sends shivers up your spine. “Ha!” he guffaws. “If you can turn this lousy score into a win, I’ll stand on my head and let everybody go!”

The boy in the cap steps up. “Excuse me.” He plucks the photograph from your pocket. Furious, you snatch it back from him.

You crumple the photo in your good hand. It curls around, showing Big Al standing on his head. You drop the picture to the ground as you desperately try to think of some way to save yourself and your friends!

If you argue with Big Al, turn to PAGE 71.

If something else occurs to you, turn to PAGE 47.

Just a random side-note: in the book, the scores are depicted like numbers on an old LED display, the kind you'd see on a digital clock or microwave timer. Might be worth keeping in mind...

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
:siren:Haunted Camera:siren:

Goal Endings: 1/2

Bad Endings
Overwhelmed and strangled by an army of baby squid.
Sent back in time by the Dino-Ride and eaten by a T-rex.
Blown up by a robot after Floyd triggered its self-destruct function.
Repeatedly struck by lightning after failing the Hand-Eye Challenge.
Rode the Slug Subway and got melted by slug slime.
Eaten alive by hundreds of living, carnivorous hot dogs.
Sucked into the Letter-Go game and buried in a pile of letters.
Consumed by a purple tornado after losing the racing game.
Drowned on the Log Zoom ride thanks to a fake life preserver.
Fell back into the squid wrestling arena and got dragged underwater by a giant squid.
Skeletonized after losing a rigged carnival game.
Failed the Guess Your Weight game and got crushed flat in a field of amplified gravity.
Went through a magic door that warped us to the edge of the solar system.

Achievements
Squid Wrestling Lightweight Champion: Defeated 225 pounds' worth of baby squid.
Dying is Easy, Consistency is Hard: Encountered a total of 250 bad endings.
Squid Wrestling Heavyweight Champion: Defeated a 225-pound giant squid.
Our Lucky Day: "Lost" the Lucky Day game and got thrown out of the Carnival of Horrors.
:siren:Midway Completionist: Played every single game on the midway at least once.:siren:

Rebonack7 fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Dec 17, 2019

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Argue just in case

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Flip Big Al on his head! How? Dunno, hope something occurs to us.

v: Or LOSES

Darthemed fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Dec 17, 2019

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

It Occurs To Me that if you flip the number 53507 around it turns into LOSER.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Omnicrom posted:

Dare we? I will.

LuffyVeggies
Mar 11, 2016
I just imagine that the entire time, Patty and Big Al were playing something simple like Tetris, and the entire time Patty was going full Egoraptor, screaming, "WHY DIDN'T THE GAME TELL ME WHAT TO DO?! WHY IS THIS SO UNINTUITIVE?! THIS GAME SUCKS!" All this immediately after skipping the tutorial.

In any case, I know the answer here, but I want to whine and complain like my boy Arin.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

LOSES hE? That makes no sense. Let's complain about it.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Omnicrom posted:

Let's finish this.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Big Al really needs to learn to phrase his taunts better.

quote:

As you watch the crumpled photo fall, the picture appears upside down to you.

Upside down!

“Floyd! Help me!” You run to Igor, the signboard robot, and grab its ankles. With Floyd’s help, you haul the robot up so its feet are in the air. Its sign – the score – is now upside down.
Instead of reading:

It reads:

“What do you think you’re doing?” Big Al roars.

“You said if there was any way we could turn this score into a win, you’d let everyone go,” you shout. “You played Patty – a girl. Look at the sign! It says ‘he loses.’ It must mean you!

Picking up the photograph, you hold it under Big Al’s nose – upside down. “Here you are, standing on your head. The sign says ‘he loses.’ Big Al loses!”

The muscles in Big Al’s jaws knot, and you can hear his teeth grinding.

Then he opens his mouth – and let out a huge, bellowing scream! The world starts to turn, to spin, to whirl…

quote:

The Carnival of Horrors whirls around you like a top gone out of control. The midway fades away, as if it’s millions of lights are blinking out. Big Al seems to be shrinking as he spins. Carnival ghosts swirl around you. They all look happy.

Even in the storm of noise around you, you can hear voices cry out: “Free... at last we’re all free!”

Everything disappears in a blur as you whiz faster and faster. Then you land with a thump – right at someone’s feet!

“Whoa!” a familiar voice exclaims. Uncle Steve helps you up. “That must have been some wild ride – to get you that dizzy!”

You glance around. You, Patty, and Floyd have plopped down at the dusty entrance of a plain, ordinary, rather shabby carnival. The Carnival of Horrors is gone – forever!

“I want to go on whatever ride you were on!” Aunt El laughs. “After we all have some cotton candy!”

“But – we –“ Cousin Floyd begins.

You shush him. “Cotton candy sounds great!” you declare. “I think we’re going to enjoy this carnival!”

THE END

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Haunted Camera

:siren:Goal Endings: 2/2:siren:

Bad Endings
Overwhelmed and strangled by an army of baby squid.
Sent back in time by the Dino-Ride and eaten by a T-rex.
Blown up by a robot after Floyd triggered its self-destruct function.
Repeatedly struck by lightning after failing the Hand-Eye Challenge.
Rode the Slug Subway and got melted by slug slime.
Eaten alive by hundreds of living, carnivorous hot dogs.
Sucked into the Letter-Go game and buried in a pile of letters.
Consumed by a purple tornado after losing the racing game.
Drowned on the Log Zoom ride thanks to a fake life preserver.
Fell back into the squid wrestling arena and got dragged underwater by a giant squid.
Skeletonized after losing a rigged carnival game.
Failed the Guess Your Weight game and got crushed flat in a field of amplified gravity.
Went through a magic door that warped us to the edge of the solar system.

Achievements
Squid Wrestling Lightweight Champion: Defeated 225 pounds' worth of baby squid.
Dying is Easy, Consistency is Hard: Encountered a total of 250 bad endings.
Squid Wrestling Heavyweight Champion: Defeated a 225-pound giant squid.
Our Lucky Day: "Lost" the Lucky Day game and got thrown out of the Carnival of Horrors.
Midway Completionist: Played every single game on the midway at least once.

And with that, we've escaped the Carnival of Horrors for the final time! It might just be the nostalgia talking, but I personally still think this book holds up as one of the best entries in the entire series.

Next time, we take a break from playing deadly arcade games to go hang out in... (checks notes)... an arcade full of deadly games? Really? Was Stine going through some kind of phase when he wrote these?

LuffyVeggies
Mar 11, 2016
We won! Now onto a book I haven't read.

Actually, I'm trying to remember what other ones in the series I HAVE read... I did "You're Plant Food" and I also think "Checkout Time at the Deadend Hotel," but no others from here-on-out.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.
I looked up the list to see how far you were from my old favorite* and the release schedule explains a few things about this series.

*Into the Jaws of Doom, which is actually Special Edition #1 and came between 25 and 26 chronologically, so I'm not sure how you'll handle that.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Tulul posted:

I looked up the list to see how far you were from my old favorite* and the release schedule explains a few things about this series.

The non-adventure Goosebumps Books had the same schedule. If you go back and read some of them and they're a half-baked scattershot hodge-podge with little coherence given for rhyme, reason, structure, or quality it's because they were churned out monthly by a legion of ghostwriters.

LuffyVeggies
Mar 11, 2016

Omnicrom posted:

The non-adventure Goosebumps Books had the same schedule. If you go back and read some of them and they're a half-baked scattershot hodge-podge with little coherence given for rhyme, reason, structure, or quality it's because they were churned out monthly by a legion of ghostwriters.

What's funny is that about five years ago, Stine did an AMA on Reddit and claimed that there were never any ghostwriters.

That made me laugh - even if he WAS talented enough to write both a standard 96-140 page kids' novel AND a CYOA novel a month, on top of anything else he was doing, some of the books (such as Vampire Breath) have such a different prose style than the series usually has that it's a dead giveaway that he didn't write them all.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

LuffyVeggies posted:

What's funny is that about five years ago, Stine did an AMA on Reddit and claimed that there were never any ghostwriters.

That made me laugh - even if he WAS talented enough to write both a standard 96-140 page kids' novel AND a CYOA novel a month, on top of anything else he was doing, some of the books (such as Vampire Breath) have such a different prose style than the series usually has that it's a dead giveaway that he didn't write them all.

Do these books really seem so skillfully made that they had editors? An editing process at all?

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Tulul posted:

*Into the Jaws of Doom, which is actually Special Edition #1 and came between 25 and 26 chronologically, so I'm not sure how you'll handle that.

For simplicity's sake, I'll be saving the SE books until after we finish the normal books. Still debating whether I'll go through them in chronological order, or if I'll start with #8 and go backward so we can end the series on a high note.

Anyway, time to start the next book! Like I mentioned before, Return to the Carnival of Horrors was the last book in the series to use the original holographic cover design, so the cover art's a little different this time.

GIVE YOURSELF GOOSEBUMPS #23: ZAPPED IN SPACE

quote:

“This can’t be the place!” your friend Katy cries.

“It’s the right address,” your other friend, Jordan, replies. He reads from the yellow flyer: “112 Front Street.”

You stare at the shabby brick building in disbelief. The windows are broken. The front steps are crumbling.

There’s no way this crummy place can be the new virtual reality arcade!

But then you notice a cracked and faded sign:

MADAME ZAPP’S VIRTUAL REALITY ARCADE

“This is it,” you exclaim.

What a letdown! Ever since you and your friends first saw the flyers, you’ve wanted to visit the arcade. You bicycled all the way here from the other side of town.

But this building looks as if it’s been empty for years.

You and your friends climb the crumbling steps. A heavy wooden door stands partway open. Inside, it looks dark and cold.

“Let’s go,” Katy says nervously. “This dump is probably crawling with rats.”

“Don’t be a wimp,” Jordan scoffs. “Let’s check it out.”

quote:

You step inside and find yourself in a circular, neon-lit room. Posters line the walls. In between the posters stand small plastic booths. Each booth contains four bucket seats in front of complicated control panels.

You wonder why they put a high-tech room in such a junky building. It’s almost as if the owner didn’t want to attract too much attention.

“Cool!” Katy exclaims.

“Check out these posters!” Jordan cries.

You examine the nearest poster. It shows a kid fighting with a dinosaur. Another poster pictures an old-fashioned Western shoot-out. In another one, kids are white-water rafting.

“Wow!” you blurt out. “I’m dying to play one of these games!”

“How interesting...” whispers a chilling voice.

You jump in surprise. The voice cuts into you like a frigid wind.

quote:

You turn around – and stare. Facing you is a tall woman dressed in filmy gray robes. A gray veil covers her face. She wears a wide-brimmed gray hat and gray gloves.

What’s with the cover-up? you wonder. She’s dressed for winter in the middle of summer.

“I’m Madame Zapp,” the woman announces in a whispery voice. “Welcome to my arcade. You’re my very first customers!”

You reach into your pocket for a coin. “Where do I put my quarters?”

Madame Zapp holds up her hands. You notice they are huge – bigger than Shaquille O’Neal’s. So are her feet.

“First-time customers are free,” she whispers.

“All right!” Jordan shouts.

“Before you start, my little friends, you must put on helmets and special gloves and boots. They are connected to a computer. A computer program makes the adventure seem real. Very real.” Madame Zapp laughs.

“Okay. I’m ready to roll,” you declare.

“Wait!” Madame Zapp orders. “There’s just one problem.”

quote:

“Only two adventures are available right now,” Madame Zapp says. “’Abominable Snow Woman’ and ‘Adrift off Vega.’”

The poster for “Abominable Snow Woman” shows kids in a snowy field, fighting a fierce-looking bluish-white creature. Overhead, violet and yellow northern lights glimmer. “Adrift off Vega” shows a spaceship in front of a large yellow planet.

“What’s ‘Adrift off Vega’ like?” you ask.

“It’s a space adventure,” Madame Zapp replies. “It’s still got a few bugs. Personally, I recommend ‘Abominable Snow Woman.’”

“What’s the plot?” you ask.

“I don’t want to ruin any surprises,” she whispers hoarsely. Her deep, rumbling laugh echoes off the walls.

You ask, “What if we want to quit the game?”

“To end the game at any time, reach up and remove your helmet,” she replies. “But you won’t want to end it.”

This lady is ultra-creepy, you think. But the games look excellent.

quote:

You and your friends step into a plastic booth. You flop down in one of the bucket seats and put on the gloves, boots, and helmets. The helmet comes down to your chest. You can barely see through the dark plastic visor.

“Who turned out the lights?” Jordan jokes.

“I don’t like this,” Katy grumbles. “I can’t see.”

“Don’t worry,” Madame Zapp tells her. “Once the computer is on, you’ll see – plenty.”

She plugs wires from the helmets into the console. “Which adventure will you pick?” she asks. Her whispering voice sounds like waves breaking against the shore.

“I pick ‘Adrift off Vega,’” Jordan announces.

“Me too,” Katy echoes.

You hesitate. The poster for “Abominable Snow Woman” looked more interesting to you. But you aren’t sure you want to play it alone. It might be more fun to team up with Katy and Jordan.

To play "Abominable Snow Woman" alone, turn to PAGE 97.

To team up with Jordan and Katy in "Adrift off Vega," turn to PAGE 81.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Goal Endings: 0/2

Bad Endings
None yet.

Achievements
None yet.

Rebonack7 fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jan 6, 2020

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
We were promised space, and we'll get space! We need to go Adrift Off Vega!

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
I'm into sci-fi, so let's go with Adrift Off Vega.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I was promised space, I demand space!

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Not gonna be railroaded by that weak-rear end cover art, let it snow!

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Both our friends once again seem like losers. Let's go yeti hunting.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

For an early Christmas ending!

Also, huh. New Cover Art.

AnAnonymousIdiot fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Dec 21, 2019

PumpkinBat
Oct 22, 2012
Well, at least that ending for the Carnival of Horrors was a bit more satisfying; how we rule-lawyered our way to a victory.

Also, is the book implying that Madame Zapp is The Abominable Snow-Woman?

Play "Abominable Snow Woman", and hope Madam Zapp doesn't just disrobe right there.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

For an early Christmas ending!

Also, huh. New Cover Art.

This convinced me. Abominable snow-woman!

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Madame Zapp sounds like a much more trustworthy individual than Palmer Luckey. Still:

PumpkinBat posted:

Play "Abominable Snow Woman", and hope Madam Zapp doesn't just disrobe right there.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Madame Zapp said that Adrift off Vega has some bugs, and playing a virtual reality game in a horror story is risky enough as is. We'll go with the Abominable Snow Woman, thanks!

quote:

“I’ll play ‘Abominable Snow Woman,’” you decide. You’ve always had a secret wish to be an Arctic explorer.

“Excellent choice!” Madame Zapp throws a switch.

Instantly, your body tingles. Bright lights flash. You begin to feel cold. Soon you’re shivering.

The flashing lights vanish. You glance around.

The plastic booth is gone! You’re no longer sitting in a bucket seat. Instead, you’re standing up – in three feet of snow!

A fierce wind whistles around you. Big, wet snowflakes blow against your skin. You’re at the North Pole. There’s nothing but ice and snow from horizon to horizon!

Looking down, you see that you’re wearing a warm Arctic survival suit.

Awesome! you think. This isn’t like those dumb VR games you’ve seen in movie theater lobbies. It’s totally lifelike.

You lean into the wind and begin to explore. It’s hard to make your way through the thick snow. You want to check out this world. But you’re not sure in what direction to head.

And then you hear a hideous grunting noise behind you.

quote:

You spin around in the snow. A huge brown beast is charging straight toward you. It has long, sharp, yellow tusks.

Hey. It’s a walrus!

A big, nasty-looking walrus.

You always thought walruses were harmless. But this one seems to have an attitude problem. Even worse, it’s at least six feet tall. It probably weighs six hundred pounds. Its ugly mouth could swallow you in one bite.

Your heart begins to pound.

You turn and run. But your feet are heavy in the thick snow. You can barely move them. You lunge forward – and fall. Quickly, you scramble to your feet.

You peer over your shoulder. The walrus is right behind you. It moves quickly on its huge flippers. Before you can take another step, the walrus looms over you. Its hot breath blasts your face.

And then you remember something.

quote:

You gaze up at the walrus. It gazes down at you.

You grin. Because you just remembered that you’re in a virtual reality game.

“Forget it, walrus!” you yell. “You look real. You sound real. You smell real. But you’re not. No way you can hurt me!”

You break off two long icicles from a nearby ice floe and jam them in your mouth so they dangle down like fangs. Then you roll in the snow until you’re covered in white. You jump up in the walrus’s face.

The walrus thinks you’re some kind of weird polar bear – its natural enemy. With a frightened honk, it backs away.

You growl deep in your throat. The walrus flops away as fast as its flippers can take it.

Yes! Virtual reality rules, you think. It seems dangerous – but you can’t get hurt. You start chuckling.

A sudden low sound makes you look up. It’s like a humming. No, you decide. More like a howling. Then, along the horizon, you catch a glimpse of what’s causing the howling.

Your chuckling stops. And your jaw drops.

quote:

The horizon has turned completely white. The wind is roaring like a jet plane. You’re about to be caught in a blizzard!

In seconds, the snow is falling so thickly, you can’t even see your feet. You try to push on, but the wind pushes you back.

You run into a snowbank and fall on your face. Your mind tells you it’s not real.

But to your body, the snow feels hard and cold and wet.

Your parka catches on a piece of ice. R-R-RIP! You glance down. There’s a hole in the coat!

Worse, there’s a hole in you! You can see bright red blood where the ice cut your shoulder. And it hurts!

Wait a minute! you think. Blood? Isn’t that taking things a little too far? You’re supposed to be safe in virtual reality.

Inside your torn parka, you shiver. Your shoulder hurts.

Still, you’re not ready to end the game yet. Not when you’ve barely even started to play.

What now? You’ve read that Arctic blizzards last for days. Maybe you should tunnel into the snowbank and wait it out.

To dig a tunnel, turn to PAGE 71.

To keep slogging through the cold, wet snow, go to PAGE 135.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
None yet.

Achievements
None yet.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Hmmm... this wasn't the immediate ending I thought this would be...

Eh, screw it, Let's dig a hole.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Dig! Dog! Dug!

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
That's pretty small for a walrus.

Dig!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Dig.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Unfortunately, choosing to dig a hole results in this thread's title coming into play again:

quote:

“I’ll tunnel into the snowbank,” you tell yourself.

You scoop fistfuls of snow out of the bank. The problem is, new snow keeps filling your little hole. But you continue digging like a maniac. The hole grows bigger.

Soon, it’s a small tunnel. You crawl into it.

You’re not so cold now.

But the snow, driven by the blizzard, stings your face.

You keep digging.

The hole gets deeper.

You grow even warmer.

Soon you’re sweating. But you’re in a rhythm now. You make the hole wider, deeper.

You keep digging until you hear a terrified cry:

“Fire! Fire!"

quote:

“Fire!” the voice shrieks.

You glance around. You’re no longer in the snowbank.

But where are you? Thick black smoke fills the air. The smell of burning rubber and plastic chokes you. Your skin feels hot enough to melt. You touch your face and feel the helmet.

You’re back in the virtual reality booth – and it’s on fire!

Katy and Jordan have already scrambled out of the booth. Ripping off the helmet and gloves, you jump back... right into the hands of Madame Zapp.

“You shorted out my control panel!” she shrieks.

Whoops!

It seems you dug your way right through the control panel. You wrecked the virtual reality booth!

You slink out of the arcade. A few days later, Madame Zapp mails you a bill for the damage.

Too bad. Until you pay up, it looks as if your career as an Arctic explorer is on ice!

THE END

Spoiler alert: unless I'm mistaken, this is the only time in the entire book where our movements in the virtual world are translated to the real world as well.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
:siren:Stuck with a massive repair bill after digging our way through the VR machine.:siren:

Achievements
None yet.

Our options posted:

• Play "Adrift off Vega".
  • Keep slogging through the blizzard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Keep slogging