Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Plot twist: In a fit of delirium, turns out Horse Clocks didn't even work on their own bike

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Today I:

1. Installed a monimoto GPS tracker for peace of mind under the passenger seat.
2. Tried to fit a new portable bike toolkit I bought under the passenger seat as well. It won't fit. Sigh. It was a bargain though, so I hope it will fit under the bigger bike I get next once I pass my test.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

helstein posted:

I invested in a http://tiremountingtool.com/tmt5/ a couple of years ago (I change 20+ tires a year), the stand combined with a http://tiremountingtool.com/store-2/tmt/ is really great. Pro-tip: warm the tires in a hot water tub, it makes the rubber really easy to fold.

That does sound much better than doing it in a hotel room on the floor the day before a race...

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
It was a little wet and cold riding through the "bomb cyclone" last week. Fixed that issue over the weekend.

Had these Koso heated grips on the bike that wore out in short order. I skinned em down and sleeved dirtbike grips over it. That worked for about a year and a half till one of the channels quit working. To fix the channel meant cutting the rubber body completely apart. They were taken outta service and kept for future use. The switchgear and controller held up to the elements well and are low profile.

With some heated glove liners and insoles the controller would do just fine. Load testing it here:

New barswitch bracket. Printed in PETG:

Rolled into service:

Power is sent to this powerlet connector under the seat that the PO installed. Going to design a weather-resistant magnetic break away connector after the holidays.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I was wondering about the Koso grips, my local bike shop had some black friday sale on them, and they look nice and clean, but reviews of them online said they seemed like they'd break fairly quickly as the grips were very soft.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

MomJeans420 posted:

I was wondering about the Koso grips, my local bike shop had some black friday sale on them, and they look nice and clean, but reviews of them online said they seemed like they'd break fairly quickly as the grips were very soft.

I don't know if it's just my pair, but they don't get very warm either. Oxford's get uncomfortably hot stupid quick, the Koso ones really only get 'hot' after half an hour.

But interested in how CSB put MX grips over the top.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
razor blade and patience. Koso uses nichrome wire so do be careful.

The grips were installed in 2017/Nov (~51kmi), reskinned in 2018/Apr(~56kmi), removed from service 2019/jun(69kmi). Nichrome wire was still ok, lost continuity at the crimp connection behind the control switch. (The left bar grip failed). The foamies were replaced a few times with success.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Completed the bulk of creating the new wiring harness, complete with waterproof plugs and cloth electrical tape. Next is to make a housing for the battery and fuse box to sit behind the headlights.

Also installed a FCR 40mm carburettor and throttle/cables from an 08 CRF. The push/pull mechanism is much better than stock.

Hopefully it runs

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
College gets cost price on parts, and the mpg on my fjr has taken a bit of a hit recently, so I got a set of iridium NGK plugs and a new air filter

Bit of a pain in the rear end to get at the plugs and airbox but my god is the bike a lot happier now. The throttle hang is gone and the already mpg is back to where it should be

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Decided to clean the carbs on the Ninjette this winter. Also signed up for a small engine repair course at the local community college. Hopefully at the end of this I’ll be in a position to put my carbs back together again in better shape than I found them.

To that end, today I started stripping parts off the rear in preparation to slide the tail forward to pull the air box to pull the carbs. Not fun in freezing temperatures so I’m taking it 15 minutes at a time over the next few weeks.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Definitely worth the time and money, my college tutor is a goldmine of information (and discounts)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

quote:

What did you do to your ride today?

BOUGHT IIIIIIIIT

https://twitter.com/jonny290/status/1203412627637989376

im shaking with the excites

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
do some willies

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Those tires are awesome.

quote:

What did you do to your ride today?

Sold it... hopefully. An amazingly capable, fun bike, to my surprise. Carbs instead of efi seems to make all the difference with these.

I'd almost miss it, genocidal paintjob notwithstanding, if it didn't owe me so much money, time and aggravation.

A very good bike with some dumb, dumb poo poo done to it.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Space Whale is a dope for not figuring out how to move that with him.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Space Whale is a dope for not figuring out how to move that with him.

No poo poo. New owner should at least ride the everloving poo poo out of it. It is a drz after all.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i took it down the block

ohboyohboyohboy

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Slavvy posted:

A very good bike with some dumb, dumb poo poo done to it.

I'm horribly at IDing bikes, but what is this?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's a Hyosung gv650 aquila dressing up as a panzer IV.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Slavvy posted:

It's a Hyosung gv650 aquila dressing up as a panzer IV.

Did it roll up to yours with the SS sigil? Or did the original owner have you add it?

And is the market in Auckland that thin you have to work for the dregs?

[Edit] And lol @ a racist riding a Korean bike. I guess not entirely racist.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I finally actually washed them

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Horse Clocks posted:

Did it roll up to yours with the SS sigil? Or did the original owner have you add it?

And is the market in Auckland that thin you have to work for the dregs?

[Edit] And lol @ a racist riding a Korean bike. I guess not entirely racist.

It came to me that way, the owner was Indian and didn't seem to know what that stuff was, so I assume he bought it off a Nazi for a good price. He also racked up a good $2000 bill, then left the bike with me for nearly a year before I found out he had left the country and was unable to get back in or pay me. So now it's mine and hopefully it finds a loving home with some skinhead somewhere.

Btw I had to get the tank sealed up because while it was parked one of the welds parted and spilled gas everywhere, presumably in protest.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Maybe it hoped the gas would solvent off the racism

Or that it would self-immolate in shame

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Shelvocke posted:

solvent off

"dissolve"

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Shelvocke posted:

Maybe it hoped the gas would solvent off the racism

The vinyl solution (assuming it’s a decal)..

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It is a fairly well done proper job so the decals are under the clear coat unfortunately.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

Here4DaGangBang posted:

The vinyl solution (assuming it’s a decal)..

This is excellent

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

installed these on the SAR:

also picked up this ridiculous lawn ornament while I was at home depot restocking on loctite for the rotor install :d:

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Here4DaGangBang posted:

The vinyl solution
holy loving moley

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

right arm posted:

installed these on the SAR:

also picked up this ridiculous lawn ornament while I was at home depot restocking on loctite for the rotor install :d:

Your (amazing) dog is unimpressed

Does your personal philosophy include the colour orange by any chance?

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Shelvocke posted:

Your (amazing) dog is unimpressed

Does your personal philosophy include the colour orange by any chance?

lol I actually got him before I got the KTM, so I blame him for liking orange now 😩

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Horse Clocks posted:

Did it roll up to yours with the SS sigil?

That took me way too long to notice.

Holy poo poo that bike would be confiscated in Germany.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Bernese Mountain dogs are the best, my friend's family has had tons of them over the years and they're always great

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

My bike taught me to always remember basic physics. I filled my bikes up for the winter to keep the air out of the tank. Then a few days later I turned the garage heater on and came out to a big gas puddle under the Goldwing.

I puzzled on it, checked the bike over a bunch of times, checked the carbs, the petcock, everything. Nothing was out of place.

Then I remembered: liquid expands when it’s heated :doh:

Sure enough. Came right out of the breather in the gas cap.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Changing my plugs and air filter made my range go from around 170 miles to 220+ miles

So they'll pay for themselves in around 5-6 fillups

Neat

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Shelvocke posted:

Changing my plugs and air filter made my range go from around 170 miles to 220+ miles

So they'll pay for themselves in around 5-6 fillups

Neat

Whether maintenance pays for itself is pretty much the litmus test of whether you have a good bike or just a European one. Try calculating your dollar losses to poor fuel economy until you did the plugs, you'll never skip another service.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Planted it.

There was a little snow at the cabin.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
You need a paddle tire. Or a timber sled conversion.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
A snowblower helps a little. But it's gonna be fun getting home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

What's all that white stuff? Does it make it hard to ride?