Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

chitoryu12 posted:

I actually like how Bill Burr seemed so much like Bill Burr. He played the role like a normal Earth criminal who got dumped in the Star Wars galaxy, shrugged, and found a new crew.

Yeah he wasn’t doing a lot of “acting” and it’s just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Dapper_Swindler posted:

oh of course its all calculated but i am genuinly impressed how loving well it worked, espcially compared to the porgs.

Hey Porgs are great! Why else would they make so much merch for them!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yw6z9G7p1g

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

piL posted:

I'm definitely reaching to try and make my own narrative true. However, I assume even amongst cutthroat criminals if you were always that abrasive and willing to kill one another, it would be impossible to stay in the business for years, and definitely impossible to work with the same small group repeatedly.

In my proposition, as a survival mechanism Baby Yoda carries with him a field of mind control that just wreaks havoc everywhere he goes. Hence why the viewer sees so much violence. I dont know what that range is but it's possible we never see the criminals outside of that range. The other half of this Baby Yoda idea is that hes kind of like the One Ring. We do observe that once BY is revealed, Burr talks about wanting to keep it, like a pet. He states he's never been good with pets and we presume he's just trying to rile Mando up (inexplicably right before busting into a prison), but he could have done that by threatening to space the child or eat it or something else. Maybe, even as he was trying to get Mando's goat, the mind control was working and he was plotting on how to keep baby Yoda for himself.

Keep in mind that the plan was to betray Mando the entire time. That's why they're all being unstable assholes towards him, they all figure he's going to end up in a cell or dead by the end of this anyway so why not have some fun messing with him first?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Was it ever explained why they even double crossed him?

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

veni veni veni posted:

He was the reason the dude Twi'lek was in prison in the first place. He says as much when they open the door, right before Mando gets chucked in.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

veni veni veni posted:

Won't have to pay him and they steal his ship? I mean aside from that, they just didn't seem to like him anyway.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 45 hours!
They probably figured that a Mandalorian was so bound by his own rules it would make him predictable and easy to betray. The Twi lek Harley Quinn knew him and probably figured they could get the better of him in the circumstances.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Polaron posted:

Keep in mind that the plan was to betray Mando the entire time. That's why they're all being unstable assholes towards him, they all figure he's going to end up in a cell or dead by the end of this anyway so why not have some fun messing with him first?

Bunch of Baby Yoda apologists in here.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
ah I see it was time for the "CGI and shooting on location are burning through our budget, so let's do an episode with only four sets" part of the series

also wow another poster made a good point about how everyone has to ham it up or Mando (which lol how it's evolved in the script from a nickname that could apply to any Mandalorian to his given name) comes off like even more of a :spergin: but this was harder to watch than most of the performances in the prequels

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

oh of course its all calculated but i am genuinly impressed how loving well it worked, espcially compared to the porgs.

If you know it's a placebo, it works even more somehow

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

chitoryu12 posted:

I actually like how Bill Burr seemed so much like Bill Burr. He played the role like a normal Earth criminal who got dumped in the Star Wars galaxy, shrugged, and found a new crew.

normal Earth criminal who is also a Star Wars fan.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

This is us, all of us:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7EyOy0-Of0

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

twistedmentat posted:

.... and all the toy companies this time around going "Oh ho ho we're not getting burned on a cutesie Star Wars character again like we got burned on those damned Porgs and those drat Ewoks and that drat Jar Jar Binks, there's no way we're making any Baby Yoda toys!! No one's going to want Baby Yoda toys this Christmas!"

Apparently there's a ton of Baby Yoda toys that they're desperately rushing through production right now but they won't be released until April or May. Only 3 or 4 months after the season ends, great timing! :thumbsup:
(The 'official' explanation is that they wanted to keep the character completely under wraps until that episode aired so they didn't let Baby Yoda appear in any promotional material at all)

veni veni veni posted:

Who was the white dude X wing pilot? He looked real familiar. Was it a cameo?

eke out posted:

dave filoni? all three are directors of the show doing cameos

Wikipedia posted:

Dave Filoni as Trapper Wolf, a New Republic X-wing pilot.
Rick Famuyiwa as Jib Dodger, a New Republic X-wing pilot.
Deborah Chow as Sash Ketter, a New Republic X-wing pilot.

Trapper Wolf LOL :v:

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

its pretty obvious they didnt expect baby yoda to get this kind of mainstream hype. the story that they held off on merchandising to maintain the surprise is such obvious bullshit from a company and franchise that’s shown absolutely 0 restraint or regard for secrecy so far in their toys and merchandising

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

gohmak posted:

normal Earth criminal who is also a Star Wars fan.

The irony being that Bill Burr has historically gone on record countless times about how he doesn’t like Star Wars.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Mandrel posted:

its pretty obvious they didnt expect baby yoda to get this kind of mainstream hype. the story that they held off on merchandising to maintain the surprise is such obvious bullshit from a company and franchise that’s shown absolutely 0 restraint or regard for secrecy so far in their toys and merchandising

Eh, I thinks it's probably a little from column A and a little from column B. I don't know why they would lie about that. Disney definitely tries to keep certain things under wraps. They are known for giving toy makers very limited stuff to work from with toys. Like, a few Lego sets have been hosed up because Disney gave them one picture to work off of without explaining how the vehicle works etc. But yeah, if they really knew they'd have had it ready to roll shortly after the Mandalorian premiere.

it's not like they can't make a bajillion dollars off of baby yoda after the fact. Although I'm sure they are kicking themselves for having no merch during peak hype.

I guess just enjoy it before baby yoda is on everything to the point where you never want to see him again.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Dec 15, 2019

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
Love the episode, I really hope we can see Bill Burr and co again.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Xenomrph posted:

The irony being that Bill Burr has historically gone on record countless times about how he doesn’t like Star Wars.

He and Mark Boone Jr. almost seemed like they were wanting to film an early Expanse episode instead.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

twistedmentat posted:

none of its that good though. porgs are cute but i have never seen a good plush one in my opinion. though giant kate winslet pose porg is cute.

zoux posted:

If you know it's a placebo, it works even more somehow

i guess. i think its genuinely cute plus i genuinely admire some whatever designers came up with it. hope they get promotions.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Dapper_Swindler posted:

none of its that good though. porgs are cute but i have never seen a good plush one in my opinion. though giant kate winslet pose porg is cute.

Yea she points out how every single porg is a different design. Some are more smooth, others fuzzy, the eyes are all over the place. Except Jenny dressed as a porg, 100% movie accurate as she says. I really do hope they are in episode 9, even if they're just there, or ones sitting on Chewie's shoulder while he fucks up some Sith Troopers.

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

This episode was great fun, the Mandolorian as horror monster was solid. I liked the previous episode as well.

Honestly, the thing I like the most about it is how non epic it is. Compared to the trilogy of trilogies and the disney era movies, all of which are packed with epic galaxy altering storylines. This feels like the story of a dude trying to figure some poo poo out. It's a nice change of pace that I wish we saw with Solo or Rogue One.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Bust Rodd posted:

The Twi'Lek lady struck me as the girl version of a katana//fedora dork, like she was so totally self-assured of her sexual potency, but the Mandalorian is himself a total stacey and is completely immune to her weird negging behavior. I sincerely doubt with my entire being that is Mando wouldn't let sexy rifle mom at the shrimp farm "take his helmet off" he certainly wasn't gonna let Knife Party Grimace do it

also I feel like there is a hidden market in the Star Wars Universe for whoever manufactures tiny money pouche3s, since they seem to be the only way to transport credits or coins, and instead of transferring them from pouch to pouch like a wallet, they just toss you the pouch, meaning anyone who hires bounty hunters has to buy like a 12 pack

Knife Party Grimace, my new character name in game.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 45 hours!

quote:

PROTIP: Avoid wasting your flamethrower fuel or whistling birds on the Devil alien. Try to lure him into some crushing blast doors to incapacitate him. You'll need that ammo for the boss fight in chapter 10!

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Ok, this is the part of the thread where I post memes and fanart because I worked like 5 extra hours today on a drat Saturday and I'm still a bit upset.

https://twitter.com/Orientalld/status/1205761729189285889

Edit: Awwww, this is the person who drew the same fanart teagone posted and their twitter is full of Mandadlorian fanart :kimchi: (And some gay stuff, gay stuff is super welcomed).

Desperado Bones fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Dec 15, 2019

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

It’s obvious, but nobody has really talked about how the Mandalorian has been taking on progressively more dangerous jobs since he left the guild. And he’s been less willing to kill after each adventure.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
imagine having the hot take of comparing the prequels to anything disney has done with an actual straight face jfc

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

I can't get out of my head this idea that the show is two friends who only really have each other doing a D&D campaign and that's most of their social life. The player makes his brooding character with a dark history and because they have no friends the DM has to constantly introduce random NPCs into the mix to shake things up like a droid bounty hunter, an ex-rebel commando, and an aspiring bounty hunter to make each campaign mission interesting. The player's mom is always making him include his kid brother so they make him a character and make sure he's the mcguffin so he feels important and occasionally does cool stuff to keep him feeling useful while mostly staying out of their sci-fi western romp.

This week they actually got the edgy kids D&D group to join with their grimdark mercenary characters but they kept making fun of the campaign and the little brother so the DM let his player friend kick all their butts and imprison / blow them up until they left in a huff.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Agreed, the prequels are so above Disney's attempts it's staggering.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Dapper_Swindler posted:

oh of course its all calculated but i am genuinely impressed how loving well it worked, espcially compared to the porgs.

Baby Yoda is a puppet. He's a single entity (or a limited series of puppets) that the film-makers can completely control to get whatever shot they need to get. The porgs are puffins. They're real-life animals doing real-life animal things who don't give a single, solitary glop of bird-poo that a bunch of people are making a movie. They're protected by law, so they can't be shooed away, kicked, etc. They overlayed the CGI as best they could and boosted the cuteness factor because Disney, but even CGI can't completely compensate for the real animals that were all over the loving place.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Everyone posted:

Baby Yoda is a puppet. He's a single entity (or a limited series of puppets) that the film-makers can completely control to get whatever shot they need to get. The porgs are puffins. They're real-life animals doing real-life animal things who don't give a single, solitary glop of bird-poo that a bunch of people are making a movie. They're protected by law, so they can't be shooed away, kicked, etc. They overlayed the CGI as best they could and boosted the cuteness factor because Disney, but even CGI can't completely compensate for the real animals that were all over the loving place.

Just the background ones. They invented porgs to dress them up to disguise office with cgi in the background, but every time you see a porg actually doing something like frowning at Chewie or reacting in the falcon it's 100% cgi, not a puffin

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Just the background ones. They invented porgs to dress them up to disguise office with cgi in the background, but every time you see a porg actually doing something like frowning at Chewie or reacting in the falcon it's 100% cgi, not a puffin

Yeah Puffins and Falcons don't get along.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Donovan Trip posted:

Agreed, the prequels are so above Disney's attempts it's staggering.

To me, the most frustrating bit of discourse over Star Wars ATM is that it seems impossible to criticize The Last Jedi without people’s ear holes melting shut. I genuinely enjoyed TFA but honestly was confused by how bad, structurally, TLJ was. Just from any cinematic perspective it’s just paced and framed like a bazaar of bad first year film school ideas and other than the two lightsaber fights the entire movie just kind of exists to be like “THIS AINT YOUR MOMMA’S STAR WARS”.

I am completely in favor of experimenting with the formula and the characters and trying to tell different kinds of SW stories, which is why I love the Mandalorian, but independently from being a bad Star Wars movie I think TLJ is just a bad movie, from a mechanical perspective. But if you dare say as much, at least on Twitter, all manner of INSANE shoulder-chips come out of the woodwork to say that you’re anti-whatever and blah blah blah like no dude I like Star Wars but TLJ is bad.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
If I had to sum up TLJ's clear desire to take the plot in a new direction vs The Commitee:

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Asema posted:

imagine having the hot take of comparing the prequels to anything disney has done with an actual straight face jfc

Look his catchphrase is cold or warm and you can't use it if you just blast people. Plus if you vaporize the body you don't get the bounty.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Everyone posted:

The porgs are puffins. They're real-life animals doing real-life animal things who don't give a single, solitary glop of bird-poo that a bunch of people are making a movie. They're protected by law, so they can't be shooed away, kicked, etc. They overlayed the CGI as best they could and boosted the cuteness factor because Disney, but even CGI can't completely compensate for the real animals that were all over the loving place.
I watched part of TLJ again a few days ago, with that stuff in mind, and frankly, I didn't even notice any scene that warranted "CGI replacement of real life birds in the scene". Practically all scenes I've seen until I've stopped where explicit porg slapstick moments.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

NecessaryEvil posted:

I thought Twi-lek tentacles weren't supposed to be stiff. Weighty, but otherwise free-floating. So, a gripe on the effects for that, but otherwise it was great.

Also too short.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

I watched part of TLJ again a few days ago, with that stuff in mind, and frankly, I didn't even notice any scene that warranted "CGI replacement of real life birds in the scene". Practically all scenes I've seen until I've stopped where explicit porg slapstick moments.

pretty much. i dont buy the puffin thing at all. feels like a solution in search of a problem

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Elephanthead posted:

How many millions of force laborers were blown up on the death star II?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1z6SFL5fCCg

They knew what they were getting into.

edit: shittier video quality that actually finished the loving scene

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Dec 15, 2019

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Hot take. I don't like porgs, they should be replaced with baby yodas in the next TLJ: extended George Lucas' special cut edition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I am just glad to see Star Wars' famously unsafe doors finally OSHA someone to death.