Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
anime
.hack//Sign
.hack//Legend of the Twilight
.hack//Roots
View Results

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I don't think anyone mentioned Dragon egg isekai's two new chapters. Granted, one was only a .5 one but still.

https://mangadex.org/chapter/763230
https://mangadex.org/chapter/764667

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
New Welcome to Religion now with 100% more polymorphing and forceful conversions. Also a new challenger is entering the arena

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
That slime had the audacity to doubt the divinity of WahoWaho. Frankly, they're lucky they didn't end up as a tree or a spider or a pillar of salt or...

khy
Aug 15, 2005

EponymousMrYar posted:

Also there's a bunch of cracks in the 'women hold power' setup too. Enough nagging questions that build up until it's like 'ok, so it appears that only the marriage norms appear to be female dominant.' That's just from the manga, dunno about the LN.

The reasoning for the matriarchal society and the male nobility being trampled down is explained MUCH later (Major story spoilers!!) :

Since the world is made up of widely scattered floating islands, there was a fear of a remote lord amassing a lot of power out of sight and launching a full scale surprise rebellion against the kingdom. With airships, the attacker has the advantage where with more traditional sieges the defender does. As a countermeasure they made their society matriarchal and influenced the nobility such that the noblewomen would all want to live in the Capitol as a way of trying to centralize power and prevent possible rebellion or uprisings from remote lords. The noblewomen were to act both as hostages as well as drains on resources to ensure that even a prosperous land still puts all of its wealth into the Capitol instead of hoarding it and keeping it on the remote islands. To this end, the academy that the protagonist attends is meant to condition noblemen to the matriarchal lifestyle of women being dominant; however it wasn't initially meant to be quite as severe as it had become over time, and basically once female noblewomen had the upper hand they ran with it and made treatment of men worse and worse over time.

That's why the academy separates the nobility from the commoners; to ensure the men who actually are going to be in power are the ones most heavily affected by the artificial matriarchal societal norms. Those who are in the normal classes have more natural experiences with socialization than the nobles. The MC points out many many many times that he wishes he could go into the lower classes since the women there are kinder to men. The fact that he's a nobleman means that the Academy won't let him join the lower classes, since people like him (Nobles with a ton of power) are exactly the reason the system was set up in the first place.

This explanation comes towards the end of Volume 3, while the manga just barely reached the end of Volume 1, so there's quite a ways before this gets revealed.

khy fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Dec 11, 2019

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

khy posted:

The reasoning for the matriarchal society and the male nobility being trampled down is explained MUCH later (Major story spoilers!!) :

That actually sounds pretty misogynistic. :wtc: If i'm getting this right, the women actually aren't in power, the men let them have political power just to keep the men with real military power in check. The true purpose of noblewomen is to keep draining resources because apparently women can't produce anything ever. Then of course there's the whole 'give women power and they're bound to go craaaaazy with it' thing going on by treating the poor beleaguered noblemen harshly over time.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
In-universe explanations never serve to magically make problems with the work go away, but yeah that explanation sounds pretty misogynistic anyway.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

khy posted:

Alright yeah, that jives with what I've seen from the manga and explains one thing I found suspicious: the protag's family gets 'promoted' to nobility, the protag tries his hardest to be independent, finds and develops his own private island and almost immediately gets promoted to nobility too.
Also it's kind of interesting in a 'horrified onlooker' aspect. 'Cause that's some serious institutionalized psychology going on there.

amigolupus posted:

That actually sounds pretty misogynistic. :wtc:
It is but it also makes sense.
One of the constant sources of conflict in heredity-based succession systems is the issue of 'who inherits what' when there's a lot of kids to go around. Especially when mistresses/concubines/multiple wives are involved. Heck it's a fairly common trope that succession crisis' can ruin even the strongest of kingdoms/political bodies.
And they've engineered and socially indoctrinated a system to:
a. force a noble title on anyone with the potential to be a threat,
b. force those nobles to marry befitting their station regardless of their current circumstances,
c. which comes with the expectation that they will produce heirs, who will have legal priority of inheritance,
thereby perpetuating the system.

It makes me want to punch the in-universe people who thought this up and implemented it because this is the kind of brutal callousness that goes into a train wrecking itself.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Bakarina Shippuden Hard Mode updated.

We are now at 2- count em- 2 chapters now.

https://mangadex.org/title/42675/ot...etsu-sunzen-hen

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

RareAcumen posted:

Bakarina Shippuden Hard Mode updated.

We are now at 2- count em- 2 chapters now.

https://mangadex.org/title/42675/ot...etsu-sunzen-hen

:getin:

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I mean, it’s already established that it’s a badly balanced otome game where all the love interests are terribly optimized so they’re virtually always bad in battle, that the mc thinks has terribly written world-building in general. I don’t know how much leeway you can give something when part of the premise is that game itself is a kusoge though.Though it was successful enough to get a sequel anyways... which isn’t too nonrealistic considering idea factory games

khy
Aug 15, 2005

EponymousMrYar posted:

Alright yeah, that jives with what I've seen from the manga and explains one thing I found suspicious:

It also explains why When the MC beat the prince and his entourage, he expected to be demoted and kicked out of the advanced class. Instead he got PROMOTED so he'd have to stick around in there, because the MC's power is exactly the kind of threat the academy's psychological conditioning is there to deal with.

Allarion posted:

it’s a badly balanced otome game where all the love interests are terribly optimized so they’re virtually always bad in battle

The impression I got was simply that was just plain greed. They address it in the first chapter. The battles are designed to be difficult in order to push the player towards the cash shop. It's a very blatant cash grab.

khy fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Dec 11, 2019

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Y'all keep trying to explain how it's not the incel mra fantasy it sounds like and are not succeeding at this.

The Iori Yagami (yes, as in King of Fighters) isekai started, and it's not good, but it is funny enough to be worth a look.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

LibrarianCroaker posted:

Y'all keep trying to explain how it's not the incel mra fantasy it sounds like and are not succeeding at this.

Oh, it's 100% MGTOW. No question whatsoever. As I said earlier, there's a good reason I never thought it was wholesome and would fit in this thread.

I just personally like MC's who are devious and underhanded assholes, which describes Otomege mob perfectly. It's a guilty pleasure, I always liked an MC who not only gets his hands dirty but enjoys it.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
...Why are we talking about it then?

Export this conversation to the unwholesome thread.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Yeah I didn't look enough at the "wholesome" in the thread title when I brought it up. It's not particularly disgusting in any particular aspect but there's a lot more light-hearted stuff that doesn't force you to the light novels to figure out what the author is or isn't saying.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Like it doesn't hate women is the thing. Like all the major female characters are allies for the most part, and even the female antagonists are sympathetic, and the core of the issues are basically systematic. Also the heroines are cute.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Clarste posted:

...Why are we talking about it then?

Export this conversation to the unwholesome thread.

Fair enough!

I've just started reading Ihoujin, Dungeon ni Moguru. Fishman with glasses and a real cool cat. Only 2 chapters so far, but I'm enjoying it.

Anyone know if it gets crummy later on?

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

khy posted:

I've just started reading Ihoujin, Dungeon ni Moguru. Fishman with glasses and a real cool cat. Only 2 chapters so far, but I'm enjoying it.

Anyone know if it gets crummy later on?

I dunno and I've been reading it as well, it's been pretty interesting but as usual I read these things with one foot out the door ready to bail

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Everything Burrito posted:

I dunno and I've been reading it as well, it's been pretty interesting but as usual I read these things with one foot out the door ready to bail

With Isekai that's always the best attitude to have. For every good one, there's at least two terrible ones out there. But this one has AN AMAZING TALKING CATGOD and I love cats. Honestly I started reading it solely because of the cat.

Though also the way that the MC just shat all over the merchant in Chapter 2 was beautiful. I did mention that I like dickish main characters, right?

khy fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Dec 11, 2019

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I didn't even know there was an unwholesome thread :v:

khy posted:

Though also the way that the MC just shat all over the merchant in Chapter 2 was beautiful. I did mention that I like dickish main characters, right?

That was good. Personally I'm waiting to see if it turns out like Apotheosis of a Demon.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

LibrarianCroaker posted:

The Iori Yagami (yes, as in King of Fighters) isekai started, and it's not good, but it is funny enough to be worth a look.

I thought you meant someone isekai’s into Iori’s body but no it’s Iori being transferred to another world. That’s much funnier.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
What was the isekai where the protag gets really evil sounding powers like mind control and such and doesn't want to be evil so he uses them in the lightest and minimal way possible to survive and struggles with the ethical issues at hand?

Was it a web novel?

Or am I hallucinating.

Was it a lady? I forget. I thought someone mentioned it here.

Artificer fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Dec 11, 2019

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Help, I have no idea where I can talk about Solo Leveling. I mean, it's not an Isekai but it sure works like one for literally everything besides 'oops I tripped into another world' so I dunno if here or the Surrreal daily life one is where I should go.

Uncle Khasim
Dec 20, 2009

The Manhua thread? It’s a few pages back.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

RareAcumen posted:

Help, I have no idea where I can talk about Solo Leveling. I mean, it's not an Isekai but it sure works like one for literally everything besides 'oops I tripped into another world' so I dunno if here or the Surrreal daily life one is where I should go.

just use the post whatever isekai you drat well please thread, we'll read anything remotely related to fantasy/levelling

I'll just binge the gently caress out of this instead of working and get back to you later

khy
Aug 15, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3894521&pagenumber=9#lastpost

khy
Aug 15, 2005

New chapter of Isekai Tensei Soudouki which is decidedly NOT wholesome but is amazingly good nonetheless

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
What was that isekai someone posted before that was described as Dark Souls the Isekai? Was it good?

What are some good isekais where the protagonist or some friends that have spooky powers or powers or skills normally attached to evil characters? But are good people?

Maybe this belongs in the other isekai thread? Im not sure.

Artificer fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Dec 15, 2019

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Artificer posted:

What was that isekai someone posted before that was described as Dark Souls the Isekai? Was it good?

What are some good isekais where the protagonist or some friends that have spooky powers or powers or skills normally attached to evil characters? But are good people?

Dark Souls 2 is an isekai

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Artificer posted:

Unless it was Re:Zero, the one they were probably referring to belongs in the other thread.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Aren't they talking about unwanted skeleton adventurer? That is actually rather wholesome?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

khy posted:

With Isekai that's always the best attitude to have. For every good one, there's at least two terrible ones out there. But this one has AN AMAZING TALKING CATGOD and I love cats. Honestly I started reading it solely because of the cat.

Jesus, that's way too optimistic. I'd put it more like "for every good one, there's at least 23 terrible ones."

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Artificer posted:

Saihate no Paladin might be the one you mean? Human boy with memories of a previous life in our world raised by a skeleton, mummy and ghost.

Unwanted Undead Adventurer has a more grim feel, but isn't isekai.

Not to be confused with Unwanted Skeleton, which is Isekai but nowhere near gloomy enough for Souls.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Artificer posted:

Given that it's my go to description for it, most likely

The Unwanted Undead Adventurer

https://mangadex.org/title/22775/nozomanu-fushi-no-boukensha

https://ptscans.com/manga/nozomanu-fushi-no-boukensha/

Not an isekai per se(more reincarnation, but same world), but it does fulfill your request about character with spooky powers though. Like others mentioned Faraway Paladin also works.

Also, I loving love how stupidly dense Rentt is with regards to how others view him especially Loraine and the guild in general. It's hilarious.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Dec 15, 2019

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Artificer posted:

The death mage that doesn't want a fourth time

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

doomrider7 posted:

Given that it's my go to description for it, most likely

The Unwanted Undead Adventurer

https://mangadex.org/title/22775/nozomanu-fushi-no-boukensha

https://ptscans.com/manga/nozomanu-fushi-no-boukensha/

Not an isekai per se(more reincarnation, but same world), but it does fulfill your request about character with spooky powers though. Like others mentioned Faraway Paladin also works.

Also, I loving love how stupidly dense Rentt is with regards to how others view him especially Loraine and the guild in general. It's hilarious.

Having also read this series I will second the recommendation. The novels can get kind of bogged down but the manga is definitely good.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Artificer posted:

I'm Not a Villainess!! Just Because I Can Control Darkness Doesn't Mean I'm a Bad Person!

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Considering what happens later in the web novel, it is decidedly Not Good

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Compendium posted:

Considering what happens later in the web novel, it is decidedly Not Good

Well don't leave us hanging about what happens later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Artificer posted:

Maybe Yankee is loved by spirits in a different world.

The MC doesn't really have any spooky powers or skills, but he's got a permanent evil glare so literally everyone who sees him is terrified. Which goes hand in hand with the fact that he's strong as hell and beats enemies bloody with a massive grin on his face. But he's seriously a good guy.