Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

I legit like Epic Mix

E I also like skiing waist deep pow in the bowl at 1 pm on Dec 9

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Epic mix is honestly a good product from Vail. The wait times on the lifts I find to be very accurate. It is weird to see.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

The Glumslinger posted:

Which side did you ski? The Park City side or the Canyons side?

Its probably my favorite mountain, the terrain just keeps going

We are staying at the Marriott right at Park City side so I did that first, and it is super convenient. Will do Canyons tomorrow I think. Getting a tiny bit of a late start today, but that is ok.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I guess Epic Mix works better in the States, it's basically considered a laughing stock of an app here.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I love the Slopes app. Anybody else use it?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

HookShot posted:

I guess Epic Mix works better in the States, it's basically considered a laughing stock of an app here.

WHen I've used it in the past, it wasn't super useful for knowing the time I'd spend in line, but it was useful to help figure out which areas were crowded and which ones weren't

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

IncredibleIgloo posted:

We are staying at the Marriott right at Park City side so I did that first, and it is super convenient. Will do Canyons tomorrow I think. Getting a tiny bit of a late start today, but that is ok.

How much was it a night

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

kiimo posted:

How much was it a night

I booked far in advance and it is shoulder season, or so they say, and it was 140 a night, but after fees and whatnot was a total of 650 for a Sunday check in and Thursday morning check out. I think it was a pretty darn good deal. I think during the peak times and even January and February it may be a fair bit more. Really pleased with hotel though, they have a lot of family friendly activities. Yesterday they had a build a bear style thing for the kids, and today was a slime making lab. They had a cocktail class the first night and a local beer tasting last night. Really very cool. Heated pool and hot tubs and fire pits and grills available as well.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Eejit posted:

I legit like Epic Mix

E I also like skiing waist deep pow in the bowl at 1 pm on Dec 9

We were hiking/skiing at the same time. I was maybe 10 mins ahead of you, I should have texted but since it was a Monday I didn't try to get ahold of anyone and just made a solo beeline up the bowl and then went back to work.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

ironlung posted:

We were hiking/skiing at the same time. I was maybe 10 mins ahead of you, I should have texted but since it was a Monday I didn't try to get ahold of anyone and just made a solo beeline up the bowl and then went back to work.

Living the dream

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Yeah I was also in mission mode so no worries. Season good so far

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I will say the snowmaking at WB has been primo so far. The fact that they've managed to get the four runs they have open with minimal gravel considering the natural base is literally less than half a foot is kind of remarkable. It would just be nice if there were more than four runs open.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Goddamn this stupid sport is so expensive. I just bought race skis for my kids this weekend and even with one certificate for a free set of skis that I won last season, 2 pairs of slalom skis and 2 pairs of GS skis with bindings and ski poles ended up being $2700. I know that's cheap compared to adult race skis but I still did a double take at the shop when they tallied everything up.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Why are you buying at a retail store instead of going through a rep? I'm not sure I should mention what I'm paying for skis but four pairs would cost me under $2700 Canadian and our dollar is worth 30% less than yours. And these are full on adult skis.

And it's not like I'm getting a skill-level based discount.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

If you look like you're over 30, don't bother with the BoardRoomShop in Vancouver. Go to Pacific Boarder or Comor instead, (if you want any service that is).
Tyler at Pacific Boarder is easily the best snowboard boot guy I've ever dealt with. I almost bought a pair of Vans, but we agreed that I should try Comor instead as they had a different selection and I might find the perfect pair there. This is after more than an hour trying out boots, footbeds, etc.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Captain Apollo posted:

I love the Slopes app. Anybody else use it?
I probably would if I weren’t such a cheapskate and balked at the pricing model...ignoring how much all the other crap involved with this activity costs.

I use WorkOutDoors even though it doesn’t track/split runs yet, but the dev is working on it at least. And it looks like it can export to whatever format Slopes can import, so worst case looks I can still get stuff into Slopes if I ever want to pay for the fancier visuals.

And speaking of being cheap, if anyone has Anon goggles and wanted a magnetic mask but was too cheap for (or didn’t like the) official options, I found that you can just get the magnetic insert piece by itself and mate it to whatever other mask. Difficulty and results may vary of course. For the balaclava I had I just had to snip a little hole to snake it in along a seam at the edge of the nose/mouth covering part.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

HookShot posted:

Why are you buying at a retail store instead of going through a rep? I'm not sure I should mention what I'm paying for skis but four pairs would cost me under $2700 Canadian and our dollar is worth 30% less than yours. And these are full on adult skis.

And it's not like I'm getting a skill-level based discount.
As best as I know we don't have any reps that work with us. Maybe we are too small a team. My pricing was actually with a small race.team discount believe it or not. Do the reps work for particular manufacturers?

Yuns fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Dec 13, 2019

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Yuns posted:

As best as I know we don't have any reps that work with us. Maybe we are too small a team. My pricing was actually with a small race.team discount believe it or not. Do the reps work for particular manufacturers?

Yeah, each manufacturer has a rep that works with certain geographical regions. You don’t live in like Oklahoma so there is almost certainly a rep somewhere who should work with you. My rep for example works for BC and Alberta. Like with anything some reps are better than others and more responsive than others. Find out who the rep for your state is for the brand you want and get in touch. Your kid’s coaches should know who they are, or talk to the other parents.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

HookShot posted:

Yeah, each manufacturer has a rep that works with certain geographical regions. You don’t live in like Oklahoma so there is almost certainly a rep somewhere who should work with you. My rep for example works for BC and Alberta. Like with anything some reps are better than others and more responsive than others. Find out who the rep for your state is for the brand you want and get in touch. Your kid’s coaches should know who they are, or talk to the other parents.

Got any inside beta on new Volkl gear worth checking out?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Ah balls. Figures that Loveland is getting 2 feet of snow right after I leave. $53 round trip from Houston was stupidly good to pass up just wish a few more trails were open when I was there.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

The Jane is v good right now. Almost too good for what they have open.

edit: As soon as I posted this they dropped the ropes on stuff off Challenger and Riflesight Notch. Today was a good day.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Dec 13, 2019

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Bilirubin posted:

Got any inside beta on new Volkl gear worth checking out?

As far as I know for this year they just changed the topsheet, but if you haven't demoed any Volkl stuff in a while it could be good to check out. Last year (I think, it might have been the year before) they made the race skis a bit stiffer. They ski a little bit differently; they're not as forgiving but if you can turn them god drat are they ever nice.

I have no idea for the non-race gear, sorry.

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019
It’s raining again in New England. Send help.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

HookShot posted:

As far as I know for this year they just changed the topsheet, but if you haven't demoed any Volkl stuff in a while it could be good to check out. Last year (I think, it might have been the year before) they made the race skis a bit stiffer. They ski a little bit differently; they're not as forgiving but if you can turn them god drat are they ever nice.

I have no idea for the non-race gear, sorry.

Yeah I got to try last year's Mantra that reintroduced a camber underfoot. I love my fully rockered ski but near the end of the day it can get a bit tiring.

Obviously need more gym time

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

George H.W. oval office posted:

Ah balls. Figures that Loveland is getting 2 feet of snow right after I leave. $53 round trip from Houston was stupidly good to pass up just wish a few more trails were open when I was there.

It’s early season ..... you’ll have more!

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Captain Apollo posted:

Counter point it was totally sick today.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Captain Apollo posted:

I usually get 1 trip a year to the mountains and had to burn some vacation so early season it was for me.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

I finally have a space where I can tune and wax my skis again! Went from a nightly routine in college to... never ever for about 11 years.

Think the 900g box of LF wax I got in college 12 years ago is still good? Bonus points if you can guess where I raced based on how much is left of each color

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Steve French posted:

Think the 900g box of LF wax I got in college 12 years ago is still good? Bonus points if you can guess where I raced based on how much is left of each color
Nice.

The wax is definitely still good; I had a friend give me some stuff from the 80s that I needed in an emergency and it was still completely fine.

Which doesn't bode well for how good it is for the environment, and I'm glad FIS is moving to banning fluoro in wax, but yeah, use it for sure.

Assuming that's Swix was you were a rockies boy for sure.

I live on LF8. +4 to -4, baby.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

HookShot posted:

Nice.

The wax is definitely still good; I had a friend give me some stuff from the 80s that I needed in an emergency and it was still completely fine.

Which doesn't bode well for how good it is for the environment, and I'm glad FIS is moving to banning fluoro in wax, but yeah, use it for sure.

Assuming that's Swix was you were a rockies boy for sure.

I live on LF8. +4 to -4, baby.

Swix, yes, but not Rockies.

What's interesting is that the LF10, which I almost never used, appears to have shrunk significantly. Like maybe half or two thirds as thick as it started. I'm no chemist, so I'm curious what specific compound would have evaporated out of it. Maybe just moisture, but I wouldn't think there'd be much if any in the wax

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Logged into my USSA account for old times. Venues of the GS races I did:

I wish there were beer leagues in Tahoe

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Steve French posted:

Logged into my USSA account for old times. Venues of the GS races I did:

I wish there were beer leagues in Tahoe

Ha, I figured you would have had less LF4 if you were east coast.

I have no idea why the LF10 shrunk. That’s probably my third most commonly used wax lol.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Demoed the Enforcer 100 today; I may have found my next ski.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Demoed the Enforcer 100 today; I may have found my next ski.

How closely did you look at my photo above?

Do it, fantastic ski

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

I’m in the market for a new board and I’m torn between Burton’s Custom Camber and the DC Ply. I currently have a Process Flying V which I wasn’t too thrilled with, didn’t care for the overall feel especially since I’m stuck riding the ice coast mostly. In hindsight I should’ve went with the full camber.

I grew up surfing and skateboarding, so the light weight and advertised “skatey” feel of the Ply appeals to me. I mess around in the park a bit with rails and boxes, but I’m usually there for the jumps. On regular trails I prefer large carves and finding anything I can launch from.

The only reason I’m considering a Custom is because I have EST Malavitas. If I went with the Ply, I’d have to get new bindings which isn’t a big deal for me. I’ve never heard anyone complain about riding a Custom, so I’m not too worried if I go down that route. Last time I rode one was about ten years ago and I had no issues.

Price point I’m not worried about either. I work at a ski shop and have proforms for both DC and Burton, although I will say Burton kinda sucks when it comes to discounting shop workers.

Can anyone chime in on these boards? I know the Custom is tried and true, but I’m super curious about how the Ply rides

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

The snow at Breck this weekend was so good. I already knocked out my goal of using my Epic pass somewhere outside the PNW and it’s still December.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

resident posted:

The snow at Breck this weekend was so good. I already knocked out my goal of using my Epic pass somewhere outside the PNW and it’s still December.

Yeah it was good stuff yesterday for sure

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

In bounds avalanche at Steamboat today buried someone who was rescued. Stay safe out there Colorado goons.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Yuns posted:

In bounds avalanche at Steamboat today buried someone who was rescued. Stay safe out there Colorado goons.

Moral of the story is don't go into closed terrain. Closed for a reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Sounded like it was remotely triggered from open terrain.