Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

Getter into the Future, Ryouma-Chan~
Yeah, Chaldea is a context where the majority of Servants tend to retain their sense of self outside of different iterations of them being summoned in singularities, the issue of them being different "people" only comes up when it comes to the literal living versions of characters like Nero Which while it doesn't come up often, is why say, the scene of "servant" Musashi waking up after the events of Shimosa is so significant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Babylonia Episode 11: Gilgamesh: "WHY AM I DEAD??"
How?

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Dec 14, 2019

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Factor_VIII posted:

I didn't like that scene. Having a dramatic sacrifice scene where we are told that even her heart got chewed up, only to follow it up with "actually she survived just fine and came back just so that she could act tsundere and have a dance with the protagonist" felt to me like fanservice and that it cheapened her previous scene.

I am by no means calling you a liar, but did it say that? It felt more like "well she's getting eaten by the wolf and has no strength left, she's kinda screwed" before the scene just cut away

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Squiddycat posted:

I am by no means calling you a liar, but did it say that? It felt more like "well she's getting eaten by the wolf and has no strength left, she's kinda screwed" before the scene just cut away

I went through the chapter again and found the relevant line. It's very unambiguous. And following that the doggo keeps biting her to the point where she's thinking that her lungs are gone too and that can no longer speak or even move a muscle, followed by her losing consciousness and the scene fading to black.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Alright then yeah that's pretty weak

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRPl5HOEIcg

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Can you fuckin believe it???

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
And then Guda finally drank his coffee.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
And became a still image as the credits rolled.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Grouchio posted:

How?

I can't believe the Wise King lied to us in episode 10!

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Jalter has self modification, she’s fine.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Bogart posted:

Jalter has self modification, she’s fine.

I mean, it's stressed pretty heavily that even by the "screw the rules" standard set by Fate, Jalter's existence is all sorts of impossible. She basically willed herself into existence from a bad wish made in a retconned timeline. If anybody could keep themselves alive through spite and determination long enough for a dance, it'd be her.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Grouchio posted:

How?

Just watched the episode. I can't believe they managed to gently caress up the way Ritsuka convinced Quetzalcoatl to join him to such massive extent. The anime is trash now. :colbert:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

You guys do know "Sky High Rider Justice Bomb" (or whatever the exact phrase) was made by the Aniplex US localizers and probably embellished a bit, and that the anime is being translated by different people, right?

I actually appreciate that Guda chose to go sky high in the anime instead of Ishtar basically flinging Guda up there and him just going with the flow.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

yes I'm sure this is a case of wacky localization and not differences of an adaptation

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

noted extremely serious game fgo that never says ridiculous poo poo

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Galaga Galaxian posted:

You guys do know "Sky High Rider Justice Bomb" (or whatever the exact phrase) was made by the Aniplex US localizers and probably embellished a bit, and that the anime is being translated by different people, right?

I actually appreciate that Guda chose to go sky high in the anime instead of Ishtar basically flinging Guda up there and him just going with the flow.

In JP it was "SKY HIGH PLANCHA!"

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I'm not saying whatever was in the original was probably stone serious, just that you can't be too surprised the translation turns out different. I mean I wanted Justice Bomb too, but "THIS IS THE DETERMINATION OF HUMANITY" is still pretty silly.

The real cowardly move was cutting away and not showing the impact.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The real cowardly move was cutting away and not showing the impact.

This is what I have issue with, not that they changed some random scream from GIGA DRIVE BOMB to MEGA JUSTICE BOMB or whatever. The fade to black midway through the jump just made the whole thing fizzle out like a fart in hurricane. They can spend half an episode animating some random trash fight, but they can't bother to fully show a plot-important scene that convinced a goddess to join the protagonist because it might be a bit silly? Laaaameeeeeee.

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Dec 15, 2019

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

it's basically an impact hug and they're cowards for not showing it

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Oh Snapple! posted:

it's basically an impact hug and they're cowards for not showing it

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Grouchio posted:

How?

I mean, they've basically been spelling it out for a while. He died from overwork :v:though there may be a few other things going on too.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think the fade to black was meant to be comedic timing

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Huge missed opportunity to animate the whole thing Kinnikuman-style.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

Vengarr posted:

Huge missed opportunity to animate the whole thing Kinnikuman-style.
I always assume that any non-depicted finisher in any form of media is a Kinniku Buster.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Roger Explosion posted:

I always assume that any non-depicted finisher in any form of media is a Kinniku Buster.

I loved that move.
Always used it as my CAW's finisher in the old Smackdown games back in the day, though I think they called it the Mexican Gutbuster.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
The episode of the anime was kinda bad to me because it was tonally off. Maybe it's just due to the nature of having a player character whose dialog is limited almost exclusively by what fits in the optional boxes, but I always thought the protagonist's big strength as "Captain Ordinary" was demonstrated through their resilience, actions, and empathy, not a habit for giving big tedious anime speeches. That's why they stand in such good contrast to people who have big plans filled with tedious talky logic like Goetia. Dropping that kinda hard nosed characterization in favor of some generic "I WILL NEVER GIVE UP, FOR MY CAUSE IS RIGHTEOUS, I FIGHT FOR MY FRIENDS" jibber jabber takes a bit of the sheen off

Also, it would've been way better if it was like, an actual wrestling move instead of just jumping headfirst at her. I always imagined it as a flying cross body launched from the top of the pyramid's stairs.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
A cheesy monologue makes sense if it was in the style of him cutting a wrestling promo, but yeah it came out really awkward. It's like they were actively trying not to have Fujimaru go full pro-wrestler, which doesn't make any sense. He went hard on negotiating with the greedy goddess, why didn't they have him go hard against the lucha goddess?

The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

Getter into the Future, Ryouma-Chan~
A lot of this is beginning to feel like this is the result of being a Fate anime rather than a Fate: Go anime; the scenes with existing fate anime characters like Gilgamesh and Ishtar seem to be the ones that have the strongest adaptational focus while the writing and direction doesn't know quite what to do with the Gacha Originals half of the time. Fujimaru's characterization makes a lot more sense when you compare it less to all the different interpretations of the characters game players have and more to a lineup of existing anime protags featuring the likes of, say, Sieg. Not that this is, really, some grand disservice to some flawless text or anything, it's just a lens that makes a few creative calls make sense I guess.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
I feel like the way they are treating the MC really is a disservice to the characterization built up in the game. Gudao/ko has a distinct streak of goofyness that is missing, not to mention that they can be surprisingly insightful at times, the anime version just feels much more bland than I expected.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

The Divine Orator posted:

A lot of this is beginning to feel like this is the result of being a Fate anime rather than a Fate: Go anime; the scenes with existing fate anime characters like Gilgamesh and Ishtar seem to be the ones that have the strongest adaptational focus while the writing and direction doesn't know quite what to do with the Gacha Originals half of the time. Fujimaru's characterization makes a lot more sense when you compare it less to all the different interpretations of the characters game players have and more to a lineup of existing anime protags featuring the likes of, say, Sieg. Not that this is, really, some grand disservice to some flawless text or anything, it's just a lens that makes a few creative calls make sense I guess.

I really think that it's an issue with the protagonist because Merlin is his dirtbag self, Ushiwakamaru is appropriately murder puppy-y, and Leonidas is a good gym bro. Quetzalcoatl comes off a little weird but that's probably a large result of her having to bounce off Mr. Generic Anime protagonist instead of "that weirdo from Chaldea"

It makes me anxious about how the Camelot movie(s?) is(are?) going to turn out because there's enough big melodramatic speeches in that storyline without Fujimaru adding to it

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The episode was written by the boruto guy

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

well now i have to watch it, boruto owns

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
yeah boruto fuckin rips

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I only know that fact because he got death threats over that episode.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
The Boruto guy was also the main writer on Extella Link iirc.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Tae posted:

I only know that fact because he got death threats over that episode.
Oof you weren't kidding

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Jesus loving christ

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

normal world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

dogsicle posted:

normal world
*Makes protagonist very self-insert and grounded in anime*
*Fans of quirky goofy version go apeshit and demand his outing with death threats*
Indeed