Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Hauki posted:

the gently caress is with arena tonight?

literally my last six games, win or lose, have frozen on the ending screen and I have to do a hard reboot in order for it to reload, otherwise it hangs indefinitely at the "preparing assets" screen when I try to restart the client

never seen anything like this before

I've been getting this as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice
I have not been getting that I assume it’s a higher power urging you to stop playing simic flash

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
I’ve quit paper standard for the first time since new phyrexia.

I do play arena for standard and paper modern, legacy, and pauper.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Is it worth convincing tabletop casual Magic players to buy into MTGO so we can build some cheap Commander decks? We are too far apart to play in person but MTGO is so loving convoluted that I don't know how much hassle it will be getting everyone setup.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Hekk posted:

Is it worth convincing tabletop casual Magic players to buy into MTGO so we can build some cheap Commander decks? We are too far apart to play in person but MTGO is so loving convoluted that I don't know how much hassle it will be getting everyone setup.

If you are not already incredibly familiar with MTGO, Commander is going to be unbearable on that client. The client is so much of a burden that you're probably better off using a four way Skype video call.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Hekk posted:

Multiplayer was broken and effectively useless on MTGO a while ago, dunno if it's playable again. If you're thinking about doing 1v1, you can set it to 60 minute clocks and the interface won't be too punishing.

but yeah just play by camera to be honest

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I got into MTGO to play online commander and use cards I can’t afford in paper. It’s clunky and janky as hell but it’s not THAT hard to get the hang of, and has some functions MTGA is sorely missing, like being able to set auto-pass on specific triggers. Or you know, a basic general auto pass that actually works. I guess it depends how much tolerance you have for clunky software

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Arena's autopass system is atrocious.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
for lunch today i am eating homemade beef with broccoli, plus a granola bar (chocolate chip flavor)

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

little munchkin posted:

for lunch today i am eating homemade beef with broccoli, plus a granola bar (chocolate chip flavor)

I'm doing 75 hours this week so work got everyone BBQ, it's pretty good brisket

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

PleasantDirge posted:

Nice dude. Any sides with that?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

little munchkin posted:

I'm gonna have leftover Peposo with lentils. I've already snacked on some homemade gingersnap cookies.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
lmao https://twitter.com/chosler88/status/1206247960155185152

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

little munchkin posted:

I went to breakfast with santa. It was surprisingly good.

PleasantDirge posted:

Nice.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
The end of that legacy match between syed and magalhaes was fun.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

so i just got around to playing the elspeth vs ashiok arena event

What the gently caress is wrong over at WotC? They made the Ashiok deck WAY loving BETTER than the Elspeth deck, and the Ashiok deck is the kind of deck that a big chunk of the MTG playerbase hates - it just kills or counters every spell the Elspeth deck plays and always has a full grip of cards. Come on Wizards this isn't that hard.

Elspeth is a white weenie deck with Realm-Cloaked Giant, Decree of Justice and Knightly Valor, Ashiok is UB Control with Witch's Vengeance, Ancestral Recall and Control Magic.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Hellsau posted:

so i just got around to playing the elspeth vs ashiok arena event

What the gently caress is wrong over at WotC? They made the Ashiok deck WAY loving BETTER than the Elspeth deck, and the Ashiok deck is the kind of deck that a big chunk of the MTG playerbase hates - it just kills or counters every spell the Elspeth deck plays and always has a full grip of cards. Come on Wizards this isn't that hard.

Elspeth is a white weenie deck with Realm-Cloaked Giant, Decree of Justice and Knightly Valor, Ashiok is UB Control with Witch's Vengeance, Ancestral Recall and Control Magic.

Elspeth deck has a better win rate, as per the data. Be more aggressive in your mulligan with Elspeth for an explosive start with jewellery.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Drewjitsu posted:

Elspeth deck has a better win rate, as per the data. Be more aggressive in your mulligan with Elspeth for an explosive start with jewellery.

Lol, what data. There's no way WotC is giving that out.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

ShadeofBlue posted:

Lol, what data. There's no way WotC is giving that out.

I played 3 matches and lost 2 to flooding horribly. The data shows that the Elspeth deck is better.

Also lol I beat turn 1 Lotus, Sol Ring, turn 2 Archon with the Ashiok deck drawing no power. The Elspeth deck is trash and isn't even that good with power.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I wanted to get my weekly wins and had a white spells quest, so I played Elspeth all day and went 15-4. You get mana consistency and some really explosive turn 2s if you mulligan properly. I'm a loving garbage player otherwise.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Jeoh posted:

I wanted to get my weekly wins and had a white spells quest, so I played Elspeth all day and went 15-4. You get mana consistency and some really explosive turn 2s if you mulligan properly. I'm a loving garbage player otherwise.

t1 leonin warleader with a god's willing in hand on the play was a pretty excellent start

not a lot ashiok can do about that short of dropping their own lotus

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Drewjitsu posted:

bullshit. total loving bullshit. i don't care what the gently caress wizards claims about data given their misrepresentation and outright lies and deliberate hiding of data, gently caress them and their horseshit. i played three matches with the Ashiok deck, spent a total of three minutes in the queue and ten minutes in games and got my three wins, and none of the games were close! the Elspeth deck played turn 3 Sword of Fire and Ice and it did not matter because I had black deathtouch creatures and black removal.

gently caress wotc and their lies

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

there's nothing wrong with you that an expensive operation can't prolong

Hellsau posted:

bullshit. total loving bullshit. i don't care what the gently caress wizards claims about data given their misrepresentation and outright lies and deliberate hiding of data, gently caress them and their horseshit. i played three matches with the Ashiok deck, spent a total of three minutes in the queue and ten minutes in games and got my three wins, and none of the games were close! the Elspeth deck played turn 3 Sword of Fire and Ice and it did not matter because I had black deathtouch creatures and black removal.

So uh that's some extreme vitriol there but this reddit post claims to see similar numbers in tracker app data. My own experience (being way way too impatient to wait the 5+ minutes to play Ashiok) is that I've gone 9-3 with Elspeth and the games seem more balanced than they appear at first. You can't beat a turn 2 Ashiok ever but they also have a hell of a time beating a turn 1 Leonin Warleader.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Hellsau posted:

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Hellsau posted:

gently caress society

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Hellsau posted:

Nice meltdown. I'm glad you got your wins and you never have to engage in that format again.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

That was also a good post

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

ShaneB posted:

That was also a good post

https://youtu.be/5MUyJy_Utk8

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

When people say the Elspeth deck is better if you mulligan aggressively, they're also saying the Elspeth deck is doing better because it has the better players. Both decks can do busted unbeatable poo poo, the Elspeth players just figured out sooner that the best way to win was to mulligan into an unanswerable hand.

If the third party trackers say the Elspeth deck wins more often, it's probably because the turbospikes don't want to deal with 5+ minute queues and are playing Elspeth.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I really don’t understand why people are getting so worked up over this. It’s a free event where you can queue as many times as you want with either deck for a trivial reward. The Elspeth deck sucks rear end and it literally won’t mean anything to anyone ever again after the event closes in less than 24 hours. Don’t let anger live in your heart.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I like how the Ashiok deck can power out Theif and has a better chance of playing the other deck's Power.

It would be cool if they brought legacy/vintage to Arena but I don't think this event means it's right around the corner. It seems trivially easy to implement "mana rocks, but the best ones" and "much much better Divination" for a one off.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

It's not a big deal but bitching at wotc for doing dumb poo poo is like the lifeblood of this thread so I don't see the harm adding complaints about current mtga events to the thread's life cycle.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Owlbear Camus posted:

I like how the Ashiok deck can power out Theif and has a better chance of playing the other deck's Power.

It would be cool if they brought legacy/vintage to Arena but I don't think this event means it's right around the corner. It seems trivially easy to implement "mana rocks, but the best ones" and "much much better Divination" for a one off.

I suspect they’re just going to keep bringing them out for random events here and there like this one.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Owlbear Camus posted:

Implementing Legacy's 200 most played cards would not be hard and the reality is there isn't a ton of point in implementing the ones outside that group.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
Cube is in the concept stage for Arena, so hopefully that's why they have programmed in these old cards. Either way it was a cool event. Lmao @ everyone losing their minds about the decks and being proven wrong by stats though.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

GimmickMan posted:

When people say the Elspeth deck is better if you mulligan aggressively, they're also saying the Elspeth deck is doing better because it has the better players. Both decks can do busted unbeatable poo poo, the Elspeth players just figured out sooner that the best way to win was to mulligan into an unanswerable hand.

If the third party trackers say the Elspeth deck wins more often, it's probably because the turbospikes don't want to deal with 5+ minute queues and are playing Elspeth.

It's so weird that Elspeth can mulligan aggressively but Ashiok is stuck with their opening 7 every single game

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hellsau posted:

Lmao

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Lone Goat posted:

It's so weird that Elspeth can mulligan aggressively but Ashiok is stuck with their opening 7 every single game

you don't understand, the ashiok deck can't mulligan aggressively because it doesn't have as good card advantage mechanics as the mono-white deck

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hellsau posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
while the actual deck disparity isn't as bad as it feels, this event is hilariously on the nose for Wizards: "what if we take a mono-white aggro deck, the thing everybody has been complaining about because it's the only game plan white is allowed to have, and make it play against an obnoxious U/B control deck, the most hated archetype in the game?"

they proceeded to make it slightly fairer by filling out the U/B control deck with 1/2s for 2 instead of actual control cards