Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Juno was a very annoying phenomenon in that mid 2000s wave where an independent comedy could have a big theatrical run(Juno made $230M theatrically on a ~7M budget, which is wild to think about now) and make waves culturally, but it did lead to Young Adult and Tully, much better Reitman/Cody collabs, so I'd say it's redeemed itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

I Before E posted:

Juno was a very annoying phenomenon in that mid 2000s wave where an independent comedy could have a big theatrical run(Juno made $230M theatrically on a ~7M budget, which is wild to think about now) and make waves culturally, but it did lead to Young Adult and Tully, much better Reitman/Cody collabs, so I'd say it's redeemed itself.

Young Adult was so loving good. It's a movie that never makes the less interesting choice that you might expect.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Whatever, Book. Man.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I've seen people mention Star Trek Into Darkness, but I'm going to do you one better - Star Trek Beyond.

I hated this film in a way I rarely hate films.

The beginning of the film has a great idea - Kirk is bored and in a rut. It subverts our expectations, since we're used to being amazed, but for Kirk, it was Tuesday.

And that's it. The story is averted because instead of coming up with a story with themes, they instead said "hey, let's make another tent pole action film."

Blowing up the Enterprise has been done so much it's boring by now. The big bad guy wasn't satisfied with one incredibly powerful weapon, he needed two.

The stuff with Spock and Uhura fell flat. Either the actors have no chemistry together, or they just never developed it. But it was hard to care about it.

There's nonsensical fight scenes that are designed to look cool, but God help you if you think about them for more than a minute. Like the scene in the air filtering system - Scotty can't turn it off because there's all this security, but the big bad guy can just walk in?

And there was nothing interesting about this bad guy. And in the end, Kirk decides he still wants to be the captain of the Enterprise, but I think what happened was that had two scripts. One for a potentially good Star Trek film, and one for a generic blockbuster action film, just find and replace the character names, and it can be a DC or Marvel film, and they realized that they needed to address the beginning of the film.

I hated it.

But let's not forget Gotti.

Gotti is what happens when someone watches the Godfather and thinks "Michael Corleone, he's a good guy." I've never seen a film that actually was pro-crime, but here we are.

There is very little about the film that isn't utterly incompetent. Take the son for example. The guy can't act to save his life, and they made the daring choice to have him always be the same age no matter then the film takes place. So when they cut from a man in his early twenties to show a photo of what he looked like, and you saw a guy who was pushing 50, I was confused.

It also doesn't help that when we first get to really know the son, we see him killing a guy in a bar fight. Nothing like second-degree murder to really make you feel sorry that the guy was being tried for federal crimes.

My favorite thing they did was having Gotti always act so strong and unwilling to back down that when his doctor suggests that he gets sedated because he's dying of cancer, he starts shaking in his hospital bed violently.

And I love how the film constantly shows them discussing about something, but rarely shows them actually doing it.

Finally, I submit Tiny Furniture, by Lena Dunham.

The biggest crime is how cliche this whole movie is. It's the brilliant idea that every person who just graduated college has - write a story about being listless after graduating college.

It's just so boring, and it feels like "oh, woe is me, I am av rich white person with a film degree, whatever shall I do."

If I were being kind, I'd call it precocious. But I'm not kind.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The best part about Gotti is that it was funded and heavily pushed by Moviepass, so they were essentially paying for people to see their own movie, which would mean nothing for its box office.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Some of the worst movies I've seen the past few years, in no real order:

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

What a mess. Too long, too dark, too broody, too goddamn BORING. I was bored out of my mind watching this, and it's not the lack of comedy that ruins it. It's the lack of...anything to like. Any character, any movement, any visual, ANYTHING. It's just "stuff" that happens in a very boring, drawn out way. I haven't seen the extended cut, and well, why should I? If at first you don't succeed (with almost 3 hours of runtime) I really don't feel like giving you a second chance.

Suicide Squad

It's quite astonishing how crazy bad this movie is. It was certainly more fun to watch than BvS because this is a crazy kind of bad, instead of just boringly bad. But it's objectively awful, and it's perplexing that anyone allowed the theatrical cut head out to theatres. It's obvious that the reshoots and recuts and everything doomed this movie to the rubbish heap.

Why Him

Goddamn is this terrible. I mean just absolutely horrendous. I ended up watching this essentially by accident, and it was one of the most surreal experiences in my life: I was in a packed audience that laughed consistently throughout, while I was getting genuinely angry that the movie medium was hogtied and beat up by this atrocity. No sense of timing, no good story, no good jokes, potty humor, characters acting that makes no sense....gently caress me is this a bad one. Bryan Cranston has shown in the past that he can be very very funny; this movie gave him nothing to work with.

American Sniper

gently caress THIS MOVIE.

gently caress this abhorrent propaganda piece that demonize any Iraqi character at sight, and glorifies a homocidal maniac. gently caress this movie for insinuating that the Iraq War was in any way shape or form a justified response to 9/11. gently caress this movie for normalizing the gun tooting chuds that is a blight on all humanity. gently caress THIS MOVIE.

Chappie

This movie is probably not that awful really, but I found it to be incredibly annoying. More specifically, Die Antwood was unbearably unlikeable and obnoxious. Really didn't like this one, despite some impressive visuals.

The Crimes of Grindelwald

Billionaires shouldn't write movies.

I didn't see that many truly bad movies so that's something at least!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I feel like people who say they hated Chappie because of Die Antwoord are revealing something about themself, but I don't know what.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Gripweed posted:

I feel like people who say they hated Chappie because of Die Antwoord are revealing something about themself, but I don't know what.

I couldn't tell you. All I know of them is from that movie, and they are annoying as gently caress.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I appreciate people who admit they don’t like Chappie so I know I can safely ignore anything else they say and I won’t be missing anything.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

More like crappy

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I shed a tear every time I watch Chappie

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Iron Crowned posted:

I shed a tear every time I watch Chappie

I think if I ever saw it again, I'd get tears in my eyes in the same way I get when I cut onion.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I maintain the theatrical cut of BvS is still too Weird Stupid to make this list
Anyone else have opinions on that?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

BigglesSWE posted:

American Sniper

gently caress THIS MOVIE.

gently caress this abhorrent propaganda piece that demonize any Iraqi character at sight, and glorifies a homocidal maniac. gently caress this movie for insinuating that the Iraq War was in any way shape or form a justified response to 9/11. gently caress this movie for normalizing the gun tooting chuds that is a blight on all humanity. gently caress THIS MOVIE.

This doesn’t really say anything about the quality of the movie, which is basically fine.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

General Dog posted:

This doesn’t really say anything about the quality of the movie, which is basically fine.

My biggest problem with American Sniper is that Clint Eastwood made a horrible mess with the movie.

His best work is very murky, like Unforgiven, where you aren't dealing with basic good and evil. The problem was that the main character in American Sniper was literally the embodiment of "if we don't fight them over there, we'll fight them over here." He had a very simplistic world view.

So the film just doesn't know what it should be. It felt, to me, after seeing it once when it came out, like it wasn't going to take a side in a story that required you to take a side. It felt like "war is bad, but soldiers are good" - the type of film you'd get if you try to appease both Frank Burns and Hawkeye. And that becomes its biggest failing, because it just doesn't say anything, or worse, it bungles anything it tries to say.

The problem too was that the subject is incredibly problematic - there's a lot of just straight up lies in his book, but the movie can't deal with that. So instead of being a movie about PTSD or the impact that war has, it becomes a film about a guy who really believes in what he does, and he happens to have PTSD, and we're meant to sympathize with him and that means you can question if the film is saying that the war in Iraq is good.

Eastwood was the wrong director for the film. His best work allows him to deal with complexity - but this was about a guy who saw the world only in black and white and that just isn't a recipe for success.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Clint has been out of the complexity business and in the :heritage: business for a while now.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Paul Blart did not do that bomb and he doesn't care how many female reporters he has to gently caress to make the truth known.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Any film in which a character could get an abortion to resolve their issues and doesn't. There are several every year, and I hate em all.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Watching American Sniper, I suddenly understood the feeling Frank Capra must have felt when he saw Triumph of the Will for the first time.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

General Dog posted:

Not everyone would agree with the idea that a film's quality and a film's morality are walled off, separate things that must be judged individually.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I maintain the theatrical cut of BvS is still too Weird Stupid to make this list
Anyone else have opinions on that?

Weird stupid is how I would describe Suicide Squad.

BvS was just boring stupid.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I was high out of my mind to be fair, it just made everything surreal, terrifying, and dream-like.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
There were a few scenes in suicide squad that really shower what they were aiming for, like it doesn't redeem it but that bar scene where they are all just talking poo poo did an incredible amount the humanize these larger than life characters

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I just found out that the villain of Suicide Squad was supposed to be Steppenwolf. Like, they went into production with Steppenwolf as the bad guy, and Enchantress was like a secondary antagonist after getting mindcontrolled by Steppenwolf. Which would've been a lead up to Darkseid in Justice League. But during production they got word from on high that they decided to save Darkseid for later, and Steppenwolf was going to be the bad guy in Justice League, so he couldn't be in Suicide Squad. So part of the rewrites and reshoots that the movie went through was to remove the primary antagonist.

I'd always thought one of the worst parts of Suicide Squad was how Enchantress turned into a bad guy offscreen. Because she saw her brother who hadn't been mentioned up until that point, or something? And this is all related to the audience via a phone call? Yeah that's why it's like that.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Has anybody mentioned The Gunman? God that movie was terrible.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Forgot to mention Jupiter Ascending, which is terrible, but, to its credit, I had a lot of fun watching it flail about in desperation.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

BigglesSWE posted:

Forgot to mention Jupiter Ascending, which is terrible, but, to its credit, I had a lot of fun watching it flail about in desperation.

It's one of those few bad films that is entertainingly bad rather than just dull: Eddie Redmayne's whispered dialog, our heroine constantly falling off things, her glamourous poverty, Sean Bean as the part-bee soldier. You can really say "what were they thinking?"

EDIT: it's far too though. You get tired of the stupidity.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Not to mention the weirdly paced segment of them doing a lot of paperwork, including a Terry Gilliam cameo.

The movie is a treasure trove of badness, but unlike many other bad movies previously mentioned, it’s not a movie that causes anger or contempt. Just confusion and a whole lot of laughter (for all the wrong reasons).

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

nonathlon posted:

Sean Bean as the part-bee soldier.
Wait...
What...

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
So, is Jupiter Acending the sequel to The Bees?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Too much imagination and too many interesting ideas in Jupiter Ascending for it to be one of the worst.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

Too much imagination and too many interesting ideas in Jupiter Ascending for it to be one of the worst.

I’d put Cloud Atlas in the same camp

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

General Dog posted:

I’d put Cloud Atlas in the same camp

Absolutely. Cloud Atlas and Jupiter Ascending are both movies that I own and watch about once a year. I just enjoy revisiting those worlds.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

nonathlon posted:

It's one of those few bad films that is entertainingly bad rather than just dull: Eddie Redmayne's whispered dialog, our heroine constantly falling off things, her glamourous poverty, Sean Bean as the part-bee soldier. You can really say "what were they thinking?"
And also MIla Kunis saying that she loves to gently caress dogs.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The mention of Mila Kunis reminded me

Oz the loving Great and Powerful

What a slog.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

The mention of Mila Kunis reminded me

Oz the loving Great and Powerful

What a slog.

The one mitigating factor is Michelle Williams as Glenda the Good Witch imo

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Jupiter Ascending has promise, Cloud Atlas is just good.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Jupiter Ascending is so bland that the only thing that makes it stand out is how dumb it is.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

BigglesSWE posted:

Why Him

Goddamn is this terrible. I mean just absolutely horrendous. I ended up watching this essentially by accident, and it was one of the most surreal experiences in my life: I was in a packed audience that laughed consistently throughout, while I was getting genuinely angry that the movie medium was hogtied and beat up by this atrocity. No sense of timing, no good story, no good jokes, potty humor, characters acting that makes no sense....gently caress me is this a bad one. Bryan Cranston has shown in the past that he can be very very funny; this movie gave him nothing to work with.

Oof, I forgot about this mess. My aunt thinks it’s the funniest movie of the decade and she hyped it so much and when I finally watched it I just sat there in confused silence. Did you know about the artist that preserved an animal in a tank and sold it for loads of money? Do you know KISS exists? Do you think those facts are hilarious? Good, because that’s it; that’s the joke.

That’s not my personal pick for worst movie of the decade. My personal pick would be “Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom”. Granted, I didn’t like any of the “Jurassic” sequels, but it felt like the “World” movies hate me back. A friend of mine hit the nail on the head: “They try to recreate the scene from the first movie where the human characters see a living Brachiosaurus walking around for the first time. Except this time, all the people have guns and the dinosaur is on fire.”

(We also definitely need a list of 2010’s Movies That Are Definitely Not Good But Are Just So drat Weird, like Chappie and Jupiter Ascending and Suicide Squad. I’m putting in votes for Tomorrowland, Downsizing, and Epic.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Power Rangers is my 2010s "Not Great But Better Than I Thought It Would Be But Also How Was This Going To Anchor A Six Film Franchise"