Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

This guy is in harbour at the moment

It's no exaggeration to say it could wreck our entire navy and probably our whole military

Two questions

What's the hole for - towed sonar?

And what's this installation on top of the bridge? Some sort of launcher?

Launchers look like Sea Sparrow or Rolling airframe missile. Wikipedia entry claims it only has Sea Sparrow. Who knows.

I like their motto "We aim for higher things"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

It's no exaggeration to say it could wreck our entire navy and probably our whole military

SBS would like a word with you

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

Laranzu posted:

Launchers look like Sea Sparrow or Rolling airframe missile. Wikipedia entry claims it only has Sea Sparrow. Who knows.

That's not a launcher on top of the bridge. Looks like an optical sighting system for the forward gun with FLIR. Two rectangular things on each are heatsinks because FLIR systems generate a lot of heat when in operation.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Howard Phillips posted:

That's not a launcher on top of the bridge. Looks like an optical sighting system for the forward gun with FLIR. Two rectangular things on each are heatsinks because FLIR systems generate a lot of heat when in operation.

Oh, the other thing mounted on top.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Way too small for sea sparrow, that's a anti missile/anti drone thingy.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Lou Takki posted:

Way too small for sea sparrow, that's a anti missile/anti drone thingy.

Could be a low power laser dazzler smaller drones. Higher power laser systems require much bigger assembly etc...

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
X or s band navigation radar, eo/ir, and then I don't really know--I need a copy of Jane's

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
The tron shop made my whole week today. I always drop off a load of baked goods for their shop when I bake goodies for the squadron, so they decided to get me an apron as a christmas gift. Gotta make sure to rock it when I drop off brownies tomorrow :unsmith:

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

Laranzu posted:

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

This guy is in harbour at the moment

Two questions

What's the hole for - towed sonar?

And what's this installation on top of the bridge? Some sort of launcher?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Hoo boy. Sat on my first ADSEP board today. I'm glad to have seen it from a professional standpoint, though it makes me very glad I'm not a lawyer. Nothing too crazy but it's still pretty heavy stuff when you're dealing with it up close.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

:hmmyes:

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Done all sorts of drbs and up to witness in a general courts martial, gently caress me let me retire..

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Hoo boy. Sat on my first ADSEP board today. I'm glad to have seen it from a professional standpoint, though it makes me very glad I'm not a lawyer. Nothing too crazy but it's still pretty heavy stuff when you're dealing with it up close.

I sat a couple and was in charge of one. The one I was in charge of led to my XO calling me from deployment and berating me. I then found out from one of my buddies that was on detachment that he was telling the members of the wardroom out there that the outcome of that ADSEP board was "borderline insubordination." Then in the next fitrep cycle I was ranked behind a dude that was only in the command for four months. The only reason I didn't report that fucker to the IG was because his wife was battling a serious illness and as much of a dick as he was I didn't have it in me to add that complication to his life.

It was not a fleet squadron, it was my OP-T DH tour. And he was a P-3 guy, go figure.

Welp, thanks for listening to my TED Talk.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

vulturesrow posted:

I sat a couple and was in charge of one. The one I was in charge of led to my XO calling me from deployment and berating me. I then found out from one of my buddies that was on detachment that he was telling the members of the wardroom out there that the outcome of that ADSEP board was "borderline insubordination." Then in the next fitrep cycle I was ranked behind a dude that was only in the command for four months. The only reason I didn't report that fucker to the IG was because his wife was battling a serious illness and as much of a dick as he was I didn't have it in me to add that complication to his life.

It was not a fleet squadron, it was my OP-T DH tour. And he was a P-3 guy, go figure.

No gently caress that. His personal life has nothing to do with professional standards, especially if he is in a leadership position.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

HMAS Brisbane on departure

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

vulturesrow posted:

Not to pry too much, but how was your XO so invested in the outcome of the board? I thought the whole point was that you get board members from outside the command so there's no potential for that kind of bias; at least that's how I've always seen them organized. The one I did was for one of the other squadrons on the line here, none of the board members had ever heard of the guy or anything about the circumstances prior to walking in.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Howard Phillips posted:

No gently caress that. His personal life has nothing to do with professional standards, especially if he is in a leadership position.

You are objectively correct but I'm too much of a soft touch.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Not to pry too much, but how was your XO so invested in the outcome of the board? I thought the whole point was that you get board members from outside the command so there's no potential for that kind of bias; at least that's how I've always seen them organized. The one I did was for one of the other squadrons on the line here, none of the board members had ever heard of the guy or anything about the circumstances prior to walking in.

I don't think there is any stated requirement in that regard, I think maybe you are supposed to have one member from outside the command if possible. We had two from my command and one from our sister command. The outside member was a friend of mine and is a really fair dude so I knew his opinion would be objective.

It was a drug case and of course he was found guilty at Captain's Mast. I had been TDY so I knew nothing about the case until right before the board. When we got done hearing everything we were all kind of looking at each other like "how can we separate this guy?" Of course in the XOs mind it was a done deal because he was already masted. Never mind the ADSEP board guidance explicitly stated that you can't consider the result of NJP in the decision.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Huh. That seems like it would open up a huge conflict of interest can of worms, but Navy's gonna Navy I guess.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Huh. That seems like it would open up a huge conflict of interest can of worms, but Navy's gonna Navy I guess.

Yup, especially with P3 guys in the front office.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

In 2016 one of my guys popped on a drug test and was up for ADSEP board. He was a good sailor with a known alcohol problem. The drug he got busted was used for severe alcoholism hangover treatment and illegal without prescription. I felt for him and went on a campaign to try and keep him. I literally spent 2 or 3 hours a day building support for his case. Calling his JAG and talking to everyone who knows or wants to know about him. Come his separation board I was a character witness and brought a whole bunch of other witnesses to boost my case. At the board they asked me whether he would be a liberty risk for the strike group while on deployment overseas. I said no.

Few weeks later we find out that the board retained him. Honestly I'd never felt so proud to do something for my sailor. I felt hope for the system and the Navy's ways.

Two weeks before deployment I get a call from my chief saying that the same sailor got a DUI. Captain wanted him off the ship ASAP.

I asked him why did he do it? He said "I don't know." No remorse, no emotion. Maybe he was in the pits of something dark that I couldn't fathom, but he had let all of us down so much. End rant.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

That's tragic, sometimes a person has to want to help themselves no matter what you do.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
The service doesn't have much of a clue how to really, actually help people with addiction issues so that doesn't help.

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

What is going on in here?
So on my conversion options for reserves this month one of my options is AG. Seems kind of tempting. Small community, good chances for making chief, and it's not an engineering rate. Anyone have any experience with AG's or Reserve AG's?

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

1337_ScriptKiddie posted:

So on my conversion options for reserves this month one of my options is AG. Seems kind of tempting. Small community, good chances for making chief, and it's not an engineering rate. Anyone have any experience with AG's or Reserve AG's?

An AG was giving the daily weather brief during the morning N2 update. He essentially said it would be clear and fine for flight ops and ceilings.

I went out to the weather deck and it was making GBS threads rain and sand.

That's my AG story thanks for listening.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Yeah you're not gonna do poo poo. What's your actual rate? Good thing about AG is that they are under the Information Dominance community umbrella, so you get a TS/SCI. Which can be useful for civilian career options.

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

Howard Phillips posted:

Yeah you're not gonna do poo poo. What's your actual rate? Good thing about AG is that they are under the Information Dominance community umbrella, so you get a TS/SCI. Which can be useful for civilian career options.

Intel is what I am shooting for. That's why I gave AG a look. I'm currently an MMN so I learned my lesson about engineering rates.

Thanks for sharing Laramzu!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Intel is what I am shooting for. That's why I gave AG a look. I'm currently an MMN so I learned my lesson about engineering rates.

IS isn’t available? These powerpoints aren’t gonna make themselves.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I just ran across an E-4 named Scates.

lol

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

IS is an extremely chill job according to the IS2 that was at my last command, he had his own big office by virtue of being the only IS in the building (I had to share a cramped rear end office with a YN2 and an ITSN, as a IT1). His most important part of the day? Rolling in about 10 minutes late (0710) and brewing a cup of tea and then chilling, and no-one gave him poo poo because the commander's brief wasn't until 0815 after the CO got done with his daily PT that he did on his own.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

orange juche posted:

IS is an extremely chill job according to the IS2 that was at my last command, he had his own loving office by virtue of being the only IS in the building (I had to share an office with a YN2 and an ITSN, as a IT1). His most important part of the day? Rolling in about 10 minutes late (0710) and brewing a cup of tea and then chilling, and no-one gave him poo poo because the commander's brief wasn't until 0815 after the CO got done with his daily PT that he did on his own.

This all checks out, I’ve been assigned to two units primarily comprised of them and they don’t do much. If I was to do it all over again I’d probably go for IS especially if I was active.

I do love talking about current events with the officers though. They seem much more dedicated to world events than your average person.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

This all checks out, I’ve been assigned to two units primarily comprised of them and they don’t do much. If I was to do it all over again I’d probably go for IS especially if I was active.

I do love talking about current events with the officers though. They seem much more dedicated to world events than your average person.

Cuz officers are nobles and poo poo...

Afloat and staff/HQ IS's are two different beasts. If you take orders to a ship as an IS1 or ISC, then you are literally the Intel Officer to the Captain. The IS's I've seen on DDG's and CG's were stressed out like crazy because they didn't realize the Captain and OPS relied on them so much. Also they have to deal with every OPS/Intel brief, every training exercise, and CIC scenarios. Better build them recce guides and print fifty billion copies.

IS's serving on CSG staff or in CVIC on a carrier a bit more relaxed. Kind of a head in the sand. In general Navy intel is poo poo because they don't understand operations. At the operational and tactical level of war, operations drive intelligence. Things change at the theater and COCOM level where the intel cycle is different and feeds into policy and strategy. /rant

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

I love/d being an IS but, if I could do it over, I'd have joined as a JO or PH now MCs

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I wanna say good things about engineering rates but can't. I have a HT3 (now HT2 yay studying) that was a GM3 on AC. Doesn't particularly like the HT stuff and wanted to cross rate. So we looked at the quads. Everything is "no AC->RC. no RC->RC." Most PO2s are 107-117% manned. Most PO1s are 97-111% manned.

IS/IT/CTs are floating near 80%. "I don't want to do computers in my Navy time." Ok, dude. Choose your rate, choose to NEVER MAKE FIRST, much less Chief.

AG, though. Man. Aviation is grim. Decomming all the Reserve squadrons and whatnot. Although, if you go AC, you can never ever ever ever get a job at the FAA when you get out because of reasons?

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I wanna say good things about engineering rates but can't. I have a HT3 (now HT2 yay studying) that was a GM3 on AC. Doesn't particularly like the HT stuff and wanted to cross rate. So we looked at the quads. Everything is "no AC->RC. no RC->RC." Most PO2s are 107-117% manned. Most PO1s are 97-111% manned.

IS/IT/CTs are floating near 80%. "I don't want to do computers in my Navy time." Ok, dude. Choose your rate, choose to NEVER MAKE FIRST, much less Chief.

AG, though. Man. Aviation is grim. Decomming all the Reserve squadrons and whatnot. Although, if you go AC, you can never ever ever ever get a job at the FAA when you get out because of reasons?

I have 14 more looks remaining before my eaos. I'm going to be picky. I liked engineering stuff and am going to look for a civ job doing some kind of plant work but I am not letting the navy keep screwing me over.
I'm tired of the navy introducing me to people who will kill themselves. Before the navy I never knew anyone who did. Now I am at 3. gently caress the nuclear navy.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

I have 14 more looks remaining before my eaos. I'm going to be picky. I liked engineering stuff and am going to look for a civ job doing some kind of plant work but I am not letting the navy keep screwing me over.
I'm tired of the navy introducing me to people who will kill themselves. Before the navy I never knew anyone who did. Now I am at 3. gently caress the nuclear navy.

Much like HP Lovecraft noodling through affiliating, what do you want to get from the reserve with enlisting 3 or 6 years of your life? For me, it was cheap health care while figuring out what to do next and that I enjoyed my job as an IS1. Think about what you want out of the Navy and how that'll enhance what you want in real life.

Howard Phillips posted:

I asked him why did he do it? He said "I don't know." No remorse, no emotion. Maybe he was in the pits of something dark that I couldn't fathom, but he had let all of us down so much. End rant.

Forgot to respond to this from a few days ago, but you did more than 99.9% of leaders would do for their own people and I hope the fact it did not work as you'd want it does not make you callous toward someone in a similar situation in the future.

It is depressing that our society views alcohol and substance use disorders as moral failures of the individuals and not as the public health crisis and disease that they are.

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

Nick Soapdish posted:

Much like HP Lovecraft noodling through affiliating, what do you want to get from the reserve with enlisting 3 or 6 years of your life? For me, it was cheap health care while figuring out what to do next and that I enjoyed my job as an IS1. Think about what you want out of the Navy and how that'll enhance what you want in real life.

By the time I get out I will have been in for 9 years. I'm looking for the healthcare, and to make an extra k on my retirement.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Go Academy dorks.

Beat West Point dorks.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

By the time I get out I will have been in for 9 years. I'm looking for the healthcare, and to make an extra k on my retirement.

Ah yes, the 402(k)

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Beat Army!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

You want to make the extra 1k on retirement then get out and get a job as soon as you can with a company that does a good match. Don't let the Navy's lovely retirement trick you into giving up the best years of your life and poisoning your opportunities afterwards.