Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

McGavin posted:

Does "only accessible by water" include Vancouver Island? Or is it for houses that don't have roads going to them and are literally only accessible by boat?
I don't think it applies to most of the island at all, just the Victoria metro area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005
Listening to news 980 yesterday, they had a pretty partisan guy on but what he had to say was interesting. The new government (he obnoxiously kept saying) has put in a mechanism that will catch people cheating on claiming on property transfer tax and empty home claims. Said that it would take very little manpower to investigate and they can go back 5 years. He seemed certain cheaters would be scrambling to sell. A but sensational but also interesting.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

Purgatory Glory posted:

Listening to news 980 yesterday, they had a pretty partisan guy on but what he had to say was interesting. The new government (he obnoxiously kept saying) has put in a mechanism that will catch people cheating on claiming on property transfer tax and empty home claims. Said that it would take very little manpower to investigate and they can go back 5 years. He seemed certain cheaters would be scrambling to sell. A but sensational but also interesting.

He was probably talking about this:

http://archive.is/jdugp

Was it Richard Kurland?

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Purgatory Glory posted:

While the guy may have been sensational, the claim isn't. Government is going to go after tax evasion hard. Look at revenues...they are horrible compared to expenditures. Governments are broke and that's before interest rates go up. The first sign of this was the primary residence declaration. The second was the empty homes tax declaration. Doesn't take a genius to figure out the rest.

Now, all it takes is to link the various databases on a single identifier (SIN) and you have a massive dataset of who is paying what. Once the linkage is done, 30 minutes worth of R programming will give you a list of people to chase down and investigate, and it'll be a slam dunk. A few populist pieces of legislation to seize property and watch the flood of dirty money exit. It is SO easy to do this. The only question was the motivation. And the motivation now is about government revenue, because there's not enough of it.

Bring it on.

Mandibular Fiasco fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Dec 13, 2019

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

half cocaine posted:

He was probably talking about this:

http://archive.is/jdugp

Was it Richard Kurland?

Yeah, thats him for sure. If he isn't a partisan guy then it was refreshing to hear.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

I do just love how "money laundering and tax evasion: for or against" is seen as a partisan political issue in BC.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I do just love how "money laundering and tax evasion: for or against" is seen as a partisan political issue in BC.

Integrity is malleable depending on how big the bribe is.

The sad reality is that no one gives a poo poo about any of that stuff anymore, and those that do end up losing out. Greed has run amok in this province and the "Liberal Party" facilitated all of it. I think it's always been like this, but it's so much worse now. We are an experiment on what happens when you make a bunch of middle class idiots rich because they bought houses forty years ago, and think they're brilliant because of it. It's the inheritance effect on steroids. They think they earned it, and they're obsessed with it at the expense of everything else.

If it wasn't for family, I'd have left a long time ago. Now that I'm older with kids and a wife with a career, leaving just gets harder and harder. My advice to young people is GTFO of this province before you have a life that makes departure difficult to impossible.

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

Lead out in cuffs posted:

When i was saying partisan its because he kept harping over and over about how the old governement was so bad and the new government was so good. If he's genuinely excited about the new policy then great. But on the radio it just came off really biased. Take a shot at the old guard, they were clearly letting the Chinese do as they please. But he should get off the new ones dick until they walk the walk.

Bob Ross Nuke Test
Jul 12, 2016

by Games Forum

Mandibular Fiasco posted:

Integrity is malleable depending on how big the bribe is.

The sad reality is that no one gives a poo poo about any of that stuff anymore, and those that do end up losing out. Greed has run amok in this province and the "Liberal Party" facilitated all of it. I think it's always been like this, but it's so much worse now. We are an experiment on what happens when you make a bunch of middle class idiots rich because they bought houses forty years ago, and think they're brilliant because of it. It's the inheritance effect on steroids. They think they earned it, and they're obsessed with it at the expense of everything else.

If it wasn't for family, I'd have left a long time ago. Now that I'm older with kids and a wife with a career, leaving just gets harder and harder. My advice to young people is GTFO of this province before you have a life that makes departure difficult to impossible.

Have you ever been to the rest of Canada? It's considerably worse, mate. Except for perhaps the Yukon / NWT.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

THE BEATWEAVER posted:

Have you ever been to the rest of Canada? It's considerably worse, mate. Except for perhaps the Yukon / NWT.

I have, extensively. In my experience, Vancouver is the epicentre of this crap, but it is a very Canadian fixation (although the Kiwis and the Aussies are in on the insanity, too).

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Purgatory Glory posted:

When i was saying partisan its because he kept harping over and over about how the old governement was so bad and the new government was so good. If he's genuinely excited about the new policy then great. But on the radio it just came off really biased. Take a shot at the old guard, they were clearly letting the Chinese do as they please. But he should get off the new ones dick until they walk the walk.

I dunno -- pretty much all David Eby seems to be doing these days is working on the problem of money laundering. I'm not sure how much more you want them to walk the walk? It also takes some time to undo 16 years of damage, especially when the BC Liberals were systematically loving everything else in the province.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

I have, extensively. In my experience, Vancouver is the epicentre of this crap, but it is a very Canadian fixation (although the Kiwis and the Aussies are in on the insanity, too).

Anecdotally, I've spent the last week in Vancouver for a conference. I used to live here, but haven't visited in many years, so it was interesting to revisit my old stomping grounds, and I can't help but agree with you.

There is a global undercurrent of narcissism across Canada, where most people seem to have accepted that they can't really have an impact on anything, so they might as well get what they can. But Vancouver and the surrounding areas really feels like it's taken it to another level.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Nah not really, Aussies like to "whinge" about how expensive everything is but it's so much easier to live here than Vancouver. I live in the nicest neighbourhood in Melbourne (pop. 5 million) in a luxury apartment with tennis courts, a pool, 24/7 concierge etc for $1,700 a month while making $10 more per hour than I did in Vancouver. Public transport is so good here that I don't even need a car. It's the easy life. We were struggling in Vancouver with two incomes and no kids.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Nah not really, Aussies like to "whinge" about how expensive everything is but it's so much easier to live here than Vancouver. I live in the nicest neighbourhood in Melbourne (pop. 5 million) in a luxury apartment with tennis courts, a pool, 24/7 concierge etc for $1,700 a month while making $10 more per hour than I did in Vancouver. Public transport is so good here that I don't even need a car. It's the easy life. We were struggling in Vancouver with two incomes and no kids.

Maybe not the extreme narcissism, but certainly they own their own insane housing bubble and quasi-obsession with it.

Nice to know the quality of life is good there. How were you able to relocate?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Maybe not the extreme narcissism, but certainly they own their own insane housing bubble and quasi-obsession with it.

Nice to know the quality of life is good there. How were you able to relocate?

I married a Kiwi and Kiwis don't need a visa to live in Australia forever.

Plus I used to be a permanent resident as a child when my parents moved to Sydney so I should be able to get that status back soon.

Another big difference in Melbourne is the housing costs plummet in the outer suburbs. Like in Frankston, which is still near a beautiful beach and served by train lines but otherwise equivalent to somewhere like Langley BC, you can still get a nice standalone house for $350k. e.g. this one for $320k: https://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-vic-frankston-132504806

I'll take living next to this over living in Langley for three times as much and living next to... Canada's first Olive Garden??

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
LOL dude, you're exaggerating. Frankston has such a reputation of being a hole that I know about it and I never lived in Melbourne.

If you can't get your permanent residency status back enjoy paying literally $10k to Australia's racist government for a partner visa.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

HookShot posted:

LOL dude, you're exaggerating. Frankston has such a reputation of being a hole that I know about it and I never lived in Melbourne.

If you can't get your permanent residency status back enjoy paying literally $10k to Australia's racist government for a partner visa.

Melburnians have no concept of what a "hole" is. Nothing is as bad as Whalley or the DTES. I didn't say Frankston is nice, I said it's relatively amazing value. In Whalley you'd pay $900k for the same thing with no tangible reason for it to be that high.

$10k is fine, I made a quarter million profit on my Vancouver condo.

And every anglosphere government is racist.

I know you had a bad time in Oz but you moved to Queensland. That's the Alberta equivalent.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I didnt just live in Queensland, I also lived in NSW and travelled extensively. Melbourne is the best part of Australia but there are no real good parts.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Gonna have to strongly disagree there. Especially compared to Vancouver.

I do like Whistler, but it's basically an Australian colony.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
An Australian colony where people pretty quickly figure out that you're not allowed to call people "gooks" or the n-word in everyday conversation, unlike actual Australia.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

My wife is half Indian and hasn't experienced any racism. She's adapting better than I am and I grew up here. I haven't heard anything like the anti-Chinese, First Nations and Indian sentiment that's rampant in Vancouver.

It's fine that you prefer Canada but the only difference racism wise is Vancouverites are less likely say it to your face.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

My wife is half Indian and hasn't experienced any racism. She's adapting better than I am and I grew up here. I haven't heard anything like the anti-Chinese, First Nations and Indian sentiment that's rampant in Vancouver.

It's fine that you prefer Canada but the only difference racism wise is Vancouverites are less likely say it to your face.

I think you might be wearing rose colored glasses here. Canada and Australia has a lot of the same problems when it comes to housing affordability, racism, and resource boom bust economies.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

cowofwar posted:

I think you might be wearing rose colored glasses here. Canada and Australia has a lot of the same problems when it comes to housing affordability, racism, and resource boom bust economies.

Nah I acknowledge the issues in both countries, Hookshot has repeatedly said "everyone is racist and there are no good parts" which is absurd.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

I'm legitimately glad this is the case for your wife, but a few years ago so many Indian students were being beaten up in Melbourne that their government literally started telling its citizens to send their students to other countries to study because Australia wasn't safe.

I get it. You just moved there and you're in that happy period where everything seems awesome, but Australia is not this amazing sanctuary that's way better than Canada that you keep making it out to be.

HookShot fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Dec 15, 2019

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I don't deny racism is a problem. As a blonde blue eyed guy every racist seems to think I'm on their team so I heard it all in Vancouver. And I'll probably hear it here too eventually.

All I know is we were working at near-starvation wages in Vancouver and I'm solidly middle class here. People are super nice and chill, it never rains for longer than 10 minutes, and the temperature never goes below 15. That's my experience, ymmv.

HookShot posted:

I get it. You just moved there and you're in that happy period where everything seems awesome, but Australia is not this amazing sanctuary that's way better than Canada that you keep making it out to be.

Nah, I'm in year 4 of Aussie life. It's more like something traumatic happened to you and you have a grudge. Which is understandable, but you're wearing whatever the opposite of rose coloured glases are.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Dec 15, 2019

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

whats your wifes accent situation?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Subjunctive posted:

what’s your wife’’s accent situation?

Vancouver accent.

I wish I could show the thread the multiculturalism that I see in my hood and downtown. HookShot's caricature has no basis in reality, although Melbourne is the most left leaning city.

gently caress it, just watch this. Hardly a white supremacist paradise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8579iHc0CTY

Daeno
May 29, 2007

Found you have to go alone

Daeno fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jul 4, 2020

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Nah, I'm in year 4 of Aussie life. It's more like something traumatic happened to you and you have a grudge. Which is understandable, but you're wearing whatever the opposite of rose coloured glases are.

You continue to be a sheltered poo poo head even on the other side of the world, quelle loving surprise

Lt. Shiny-sides
Dec 24, 2008
Australia is everything wrong with Canada x10.

On the other hand Vancouver does suck.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

Do any of you watch Mr In-between? Goddamn that is a great show.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Daeno posted:

hate to pop your happy bubble, but your wife just doesn't tell you about the racism lol

I asked her if she's experienced anything remotely like racism and the answer is still no.

And lol at calling me sheltered. You have no idea.

This thread loves to wallow in its own misery without actually doing anything about it, which is definitely the Canadian way. I'll leave you to it.

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos

This thread loves to wallow in its own misery without actually doing anything about it, which is definitely the Canadian way. I'll leave you to it.

lmao why do the Canadachuds always say this? PT6A says this like every month.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

drat, if only it weren't for all my [buying avocado toast / posting on SA] I could have [bought a house / overhauled the global financial system]!

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Lobok posted:

drat, if only it weren't for all my [buying avocado toast / posting on SA] I could have [bought a house / overhauled the global financial system]!

just quit wallowing in self pity and marry an Australian, dumbass

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Vancouver accent.

hmm, half-Indian person with an anglosphere accent not encountering explicit racism doesnt seem like a very interesting data point, tbqh. does she have a traditionally-Indian-reading name?

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

hmm, half-Indian person with an anglosphere accent not encountering explicit racism doesn’t seem like a very interesting data point, tbqh. does she have a traditionally-Indian-reading name?

Haha what the gently caress is this. Jesus

For the record I fully believe Australia can be in a housing bubble and still not quite as expensive as Canada's housing bubble, which makes it look affordable to us

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

sleep with the vicious posted:

Haha what the gently caress is this. Jesus.

I just want to really understand the racism situation, lest I think ill of Australia for the wrong reasons. His wifes experience seems to be really important to that.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Compared to the other countries in the world, Australia is actually pretty great, and hundreds of millions of people in poor countries would literally chop their own leg off to get a chance to live there. (Or Canada).

Saying there are no good parts of Australia is just exaggeration to the point of lunacy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Haha what the gently caress is this. Jesus

A Bad Post

For the record I fully believe Australia can be in a housing bubble and still not quite as expensive as Canada's housing bubble, which makes it look affordable to us

Sydney is at least as bad as Vancouver whereas Melbourne is comparable to Toronto. All four being in the top ~30 unaffordable cities (depending on the metric) is a failure everybody in the Anglosphere can be proud of.