Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

ConfusedPig posted:

Wasn't the Insulindian isola unpopulated when it was discovered, or am I misremembering something?

Revachol was but the other islands weren't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Fangz posted:

Revachol was but the other islands weren't.

According to Joyce, the entire insulindian isola formed spontaneously from the Pale around the original explorers, a completely pristine new world, devoid people. All the other isolas were discovered with people already living there, but Insulinde was completely new and empty.

It is from this miraculous event that we get the quote associated with Dolores Dei: “After life, death -- after death, life again. After the world, the pale -- after the pale the world again.“ Once the pale has swallowed the current world, it is expected to birth a new one, just like it made Insulinde.

I think the Semenese are supposed to be the descendants of the original explorers, and the Dolorian settlers arrived later.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Dec 14, 2019

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

SimonChris posted:

According to Joyce, the entire insulindian isola formed spontaneously from the Pale around the original explorers, a completely pristine new world, devoid people. All the other isolas were discovered with people already living there, but Insulinde was completely new and empty.

Of course, if we're talking about colonialism - the notion of explorers discovering an uninhabited terra nullius, pristine, devoid of people, should make us extremely wary.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

SimonChris posted:

It is from this miraculous event that we get the quote associated with Dolores Dei: “After life, death -- after death, life again. After the world, the pale -- after the pale the world again.“ Once the pale has swallowed the current world, it is expected to birth a new one, just like it made Insulinde.

I think the Semenese are supposed to be the descendants of the original explorers, and the Dolorian settlers arrived later.

No, Insulinde was the entire "continent". This composed of a large island, which was to become Revachol, and a number of smaller Islands. The large island was empty, but the other islands were not, so the Army of Humanity did a colonialism.

That the large island had also the Pale seeds on it that Dolores built churches to contain is also interesting, and makes me wonder if the entire Insulinde isola was some kind of test by the Pale for humanity.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Dec 14, 2019

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Begemot posted:

I cannot believe that not only did this extremely commie game made by Estonians win the Subway® Fresh Indie Game Award, but they thanked Marx and Engels in their acceptance speech

https://twitter.com/thegameawards/status/1205340759823540224

God fuckin' bless
Tsoi lives.

In retrospect, that influence is nearly as obvious as Repin's.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Fangz posted:

No, Insulinde was the entire "continent". This composed of a large island, which was to become Revachol, and a number of smaller Islands. The large island was empty, but the other islands were not, so the Army of Humanity did a colonialism.

That the large island had also the Pale seeds on it that Dolores built churches to contain is also interesting, and makes me wonder if the entire Insulinde isola was some kind of test by the Pale for humanity.

Pretty sure op is right and the entire isola/matter continent formed around them completely unpopulated

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
So I did a regular playthrough, and just finished a hacked max skills playthrough. If I wanted to do a disaster cop minimum skill playthrough is there a particular way I should go about it to make it less tedious or whatever? I'm just doing it for the failure dialogue.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

Skelicopter posted:

So Harry definitely used the Horrific Necktie to try to hang himself pre-blackout, right? That’s why it’s Horrific, and the most talkative item of clothing in the game, and why Inland Empire hates it so much. It’s also why Harry sees visions of himself hanging in the corpse’s place (and why he wakes up directly under the ceiling fan).

It’s never spelled out in-game, and I’ve not seen anyone mention it here. I don’t know if that’s because it’s too obvious and doesn’t need to be said, or not obvious at all.

Never crossed my mind but a very solid theory.

Can't believe this thread is almost 200 pages long and we're still finding things like this.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Wafflecopper posted:

Pretty sure op is right and the entire isola/matter continent formed around them completely unpopulated

The ~wikia~ says the Semenese were in Insulinde over 3000 years before the travelers from Mundi.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Fangz posted:

The ~wikia~ says the Semenese were in Insulinde over 3000 years before the travelers from Mundi.

which makes it really funny when Joyce talks about it as uninhabited.

edit: oh we're talking about that

I assume that "uninhabited" in this context is colonizer-speak for "uninhabited by us" and Insuland was as "uninhabited" as, say, Australia/Polynesia when the British "discovered" it.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Dec 14, 2019

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Skelicopter posted:

So Harry definitely used the Horrific Necktie to try to hang himself pre-blackout, right? That’s why it’s Horrific, and the most talkative item of clothing in the game, and why Inland Empire hates it so much. It’s also why Harry sees visions of himself hanging in the corpse’s place (and why he wakes up directly under the ceiling fan).

It’s never spelled out in-game, and I’ve not seen anyone mention it here. I don’t know if that’s because it’s too obvious and doesn’t need to be said, or not obvious at all.

oooooooh shiiiiiiiit

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

which makes it really funny when Joyce talks about it as uninhabited.

edit: oh we're talking about that

I assume that "uninhabited" in this context is colonizer-speak for "uninhabited by us" and Insuland was as "uninhabited" as, say, Australia/Polynesia when the British "discovered" it.
No. Joyce's whole point is that other places carried the sin of colonization and war with them, while Insuland was a gift.

A wasted gift, naturally.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Xander77 posted:

No. Joyce's whole point is that other places carried the sin of colonization and war with them, while Insuland was a gift.

A wasted gift, naturally.

That's still just what she says, though. Like, even if she believes it . . . there are clearly Semenese people around, and ethnic differentiation doesn't happen in a few hundred years.

edit, yeah, from the wiki:

quote:

The Southern islands are home to the Semenese, humans with a dark colored skin who are supposed to have arrived to the Insulinde archipelago four millenia - a full 3700 years before the Dolorian settlement - and are direct descendants of the Aereopagites of the ancient Perikarnassis. They have their own unique customs, with one of the more interesting being a belief in the possibility of immaculate conception from the pale.[9]

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Dec 14, 2019

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

That's still just what she says, though. Like, even if she believes it . . . there are clearly Semenese people around, and ethnic differentiation doesn't happen in a few hundred years.

It's not just Joyce, though. The Insulindian Miracle is a major part of the setting and the whole reason why people believe there will be a world after the pale. Because the pale birthed a new Isola once, it could happen again. The Semenese are a different ethnic group because they are descended from different settlers.

Where in the game is it stated that the Semenese have lived there for thousands of years? Wikis are not always reliable sources.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Dec 14, 2019

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

It is just what she says but I am inclined to agree that there's something weird and spookily special about the main island Revachol is on, and not just Insulinde as a whole.

Edit: ^^^ I think Measurehead claims it

The confusion here is that I think Joyce specifies that there were 78,000 uninhabited islands in the Isola. She didn't precisely say those made up *all of the Isola*.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Dec 14, 2019

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Fangz posted:

It is just what she says but I am inclined to agree that there's something weird and spookily special about the main island Revachol is on, and not just Insulinde as a whole.

Edit: ^^^ I think Measurehead claims it

The confusion here is that I think Joyce specifies that there were 78,000 uninhabited islands in the Isola. She didn't precisely say those made up *all of the Isola*.

I think I trust Joyce over the Semenese supremacist on this, it's probably like a Great Hwan Empire thing

e: he claims history has been a thing for 82000 years and Encyclopedia doesn't trust him

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Dec 14, 2019

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
Well it took me a cheating max-stat run to find out that the deserter also killed the previous union boss at Edgar’s request. Really makes me wonder how much I’ve still missed out on.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Sure sure, trust the rich person. :D

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
Joyce never actually lies to you though - she keeps information from you on several occasions, but - with one exception - she’s upfront that’s what she’s doing, and she’s careful never to state an outright falsehood. The only instance I know of where she withholds information without telling you she’s doing so is her real name and identity and even then it’s a case of omission rather than falsification. Plus what she tells you is consistent with the whole mythology of the world that you encounter in numerous other places.

But then on the other hand there’s this one racist with his own home brew phrenology system who says otherwise; so...

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Well... the other person is a guy who calls himself Measurehead and believes in Craniometry as a way to measure depravity.

On the other hand Joyce is a self admitted, unapologetic Libratarian, and is part of the head of a global conglomerate using hired guns to terrify/control weaker layers of societies.

Saying that, she does seem more believable. In context.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Even then, just because she says it and believes it doesn't mean it is true.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Reveilled posted:

Measurehead's racist views essentially boil down to the notion that the "european" race in their world has fallen into weakness and degeneracy, which is the reason they no longer control the entire world. Consumerism and pleasure seeking behaviour (like alcohol consumption) have voided their right to be the master race, and now is the time of measurehead's superior, stronger Semenese race, people purified by hardship and toil.

The Ham Sandwich thing is just a food based slur, like slurs about watermelons or rice are in ours. White people eat ham sandwiches lol. But it also carries connotations of being supremely bland and uninspired, which gives it a little extra bite as an insult.

To expand on him some more, he's called Measurehead because he likes to literally measure people's heads, a callback to the extremely racist pseudoscience of Phrenology. As famously referenced in that Django Unchained scene https://www.theguardian.com/science/blog/2013/feb/05/django-unchained-racist-science-phrenology

Also the voice actor for him is Morrocan Rapper "Dizzy DROS", who seems pretty nice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03_ty7sa_G4

He has over a million Youtube subscribers and raps in Arabic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F74mo1A0MNA

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

But joking aside, I don't think the statements are necessarily mutually exclusive. If the Mundi voyagers' arrival produced most of Insulinde, what's do say that there wasn't a previous group of voyagers who had their own miracle, and created a (smaller) portion of Insulinde previously? Just because Measurehead has his crazy race theory thing going doesn't mean his "yo, we were here first" statement is baseless.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

Actually I’ve just got to the end of the game again and phasmid mentions ‘the semenese who came here first but did not stay so there’s that as well.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

It can certainly be both. We don't know what they base their information on.

We could really use a full map of Elysium to determine how the population of Insulinde might have gone down.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Skelicopter posted:

Jesus Christ this fits way too well. It also turns the tie's sacrifice into full blown redemption arc.

That's a sentence I never thought I'd write.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Skelicopter posted:

I... I also completely missed this. Where were you like ten pages ago when I asked why Inland Empire warned you off the tie, you monster?

Rookoo posted:

So I did a regular playthrough, and just finished a hacked max skills playthrough. If I wanted to do a disaster cop minimum skill playthrough is there a particular way I should go about it to make it less tedious or whatever? I'm just doing it for the failure dialogue.

Hack yourself a ton of money to have enough healing items to be able to continue playing despite all the health and morale damage you'll get from failing every check

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Fangz posted:

But joking aside, I don't think the statements are necessarily mutually exclusive. If the Mundi voyagers' arrival produced most of Insulinde, what's do say that there wasn't a previous group of voyagers who had their own miracle, and created a (smaller) portion of Insulinde previously? Just because Measurehead has his crazy race theory thing going doesn't mean his "yo, we were here first" statement is baseless.

As outside observers, I think it's fairly clear from the reader's / gamer's perspective that this is a false hope: Insulandia wasn't created ex nihilo, it was just a matter of finding australia/polynesia in a world with less historical migration.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

OTOH Measurehead is pretty much a Hotep, and his reliability as a historical source should be treated accordingly

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

As outside observers, I think it's fairly clear from the reader's / gamer's perspective that this is a false hope: Insulandia wasn't created ex nihilo, it was just a matter of finding australia/polynesia in a world with less historical migration.
The world of Elysium is way too spooky and mysterious for the idea of Insulinde being created to be simply rejected.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I just finished my first playthrough, it took forever. I saw quite a lot of stuff, and it was really awesome to finish the investigation and just throw it in my colleague's faces that I quit drinking, solved the case before they got there, and even discovered a new animal.

That being said, I went the cop route, and never went out after dark. Was there much reason to? I wandered a couple times in the first few days but nothing ever really happened, so I stopped bothering with it.

Is there a place with gentle hints on where to go to discover more stuff?

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

thecluckmeme posted:

I just finished my first playthrough, it took forever. I saw quite a lot of stuff, and it was really awesome to finish the investigation and just throw it in my colleague's faces that I quit drinking, solved the case before they got there, and even discovered a new animal.

That being said, I went the cop route, and never went out after dark. Was there much reason to? I wandered a couple times in the first few days but nothing ever really happened, so I stopped bothering with it.

I went out after dark for a few things. Mostly just doing the honorable thing and giving Cuno his drugs as promised without disappointing Kim. There isn't really much you can ONLY do at night, with the exception of a few timed quest events.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

thecluckmeme posted:

If Kim stops you from doing something, you can probably go do it if you go out after he goes to bed. Examples I can think of are stealing the boots off of the corpse and talking with Joyce about the Pale, and asking the fisherlady out on a date.

Aside from those specific things, I didn't really do much at night because I didn't want to miss out on Kim's reaction to anything.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.
I found my drowned police car after dark without Kim, and it was a very intense and personal moment sitting alone on the swing and watching it and I'm positive I don't want to have it any other way even with my best friend Kim around.
Surely I was trying to chase a criminal!
No, you weren't.
I... I'm gonna get you out!
You won't, buddy.
How... how can I fix you?
You can't.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

a bug made me (the player) cry

this is probably the best game I've ever played, I think

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Khizan posted:

If Kim stops you from doing something, you can probably go do it if you go out after he goes to bed. Examples I can think of are stealing the boots off of the corpse and talking with Joyce about the Pale, and asking the fisherlady out on a date.

Aside from those specific things, I didn't really do much at night because I didn't want to miss out on Kim's reaction to anything.

You can do at least the latter two things with Kim (sometimes dependent on how much he trusts you)

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Isn’t logic the one that warns you against the tie and inland empire in fact even calls it a friend?

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

is the end credits music different depending on what you do? this track is labeled end credits https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hzSVgKT75A but i remember hearing this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AypW_6o26hg

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.
Just finished my first playthrough. What a game. Kim is my bro for life.

I am confused by some of the reviews saying the game was 60+ hours when I literally did everything in the game in 30ish hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

insider posted:

Just finished my first playthrough. What a game. Kim is my bro for life.

I am confused by some of the reviews saying the game was 60+ hours when I literally did everything in the game in 30ish hours.

The developers were kind of padding the time estimate on the basis that you have to play it about 3 times if you want to see almost everything