Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Happened in the first episode, too. Mando loves environmental kills

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Mandrel posted:

pretty much. i dont buy the puffin thing at all. feels like a solution in search of a problem
I sound like one of those idiots on Youtube posting this...

quote:

A new report details that Disney’s Alan Horn mandated Star Wars filmmakers to disguise toy ideas as organic film characters...
“But Mr. Horn had a note for the filmmakers. While Disney wanted to sell millions of toys, fans could never sense that any character or plot point was conceived as a business decision, he said.”
https://boundingintocomics.com/2019/12/13/report-disney-mandated-star-wars-filmmakers-to-disguise-toy-ideas-as-organic-film-characters/

If that's true... I mean, fine, merchandise has always been a Star Wars thing, and there's really nothing to complain here, because the prequel trilogy feels essentially like an overt push for toys. But this CGI replacement story?

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Welp, it’s that time in the thread life cycle to unsubscribe before the next episode.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Team_q posted:

This episode was great fun, the Mandolorian as horror monster was solid. I liked the previous episode as well.

Loved that entire scene. Just wonderful.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

NecessaryEvil posted:

I thought Twi-lek tentacles weren't supposed to be stiff. Weighty, but otherwise free-floating. So, a gripe on the effects for that, but otherwise it was great.

I did think about calling 0118 999 881 99 9119 725 3 when 0 got shot.

I've found most if not all portrayals of Twi-Lek outside of ROTJ to be dumb and really weird looking.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Obviously they were stiff because she was horny the whole time

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Pull up, thread!

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Bust Rodd posted:

Pull up, thread!

Nope.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Obviously they were stiff because she was horny the whole time

God drat it! They're not DICKS!!

.....they're titties....

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

:yikes:

The thread's cycle never breaks.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Bust Rodd posted:

To me, the most frustrating bit of discourse over Star Wars ATM is that it seems impossible to criticize The Last Jedi without people’s ear holes melting shut. I genuinely enjoyed TFA but honestly was confused by how bad, structurally, TLJ was. Just from any cinematic perspective it’s just paced and framed like a bazaar of bad first year film school ideas and other than the two lightsaber fights the entire movie just kind of exists to be like “THIS AINT YOUR MOMMA’S STAR WARS”.

I am completely in favor of experimenting with the formula and the characters and trying to tell different kinds of SW stories, which is why I love the Mandalorian, but independently from being a bad Star Wars movie I think TLJ is just a bad movie, from a mechanical perspective. But if you dare say as much, at least on Twitter, all manner of INSANE shoulder-chips come out of the woodwork to say that you’re anti-whatever and blah blah blah like no dude I like Star Wars but TLJ is bad.

I didn't hate TFA. My initial reaction was "This is amazing!" though a lot of that was from a "Thank loving God, our decade-long Star Wars drought is ended!" (I know that Clone Wars was a thing, but I wasn't into that). After thinking it through, TFA really did come off as A New Hope with the names/macguffin altered (Our heroes much get the Death-Star-blueprint/map-to-Luke away from Darth-Vader/Kylo-Ren and the Empire/First-Order and into the hands of the Rebellion/Resistance so they can destroy the Death-Star/fuckoff-planet-buster-thing-whose-name-I-cannot-recall-right-now).

Even if it was flawed, I appreciated TLJ for at least trying to do other stuff. I Floved bitter, gently caress-the-Jedi Luke. I liked Snoke unwittingly narrating/predicting his own murder. I liked that when Poe Dameron defied orders to attack the one ship, even if it worked it was a costly mistake. I liked Rose and Finn realizing that no, not every "lovable rogue has a heart of gold." I liked the presentation of Kylo reaching out to Ren out of need and loneliness but having that fail because of his refusal to repair or even accept his own damage. I'll forgive a lot of not-so-great in something if it at least tries to be different.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Just the background ones. They invented porgs to dress them up to disguise office with cgi in the background, but every time you see a porg actually doing something like frowning at Chewie or reacting in the falcon it's 100% cgi, not a puffin

Sure, but you wouldn't have had that if not for the puffins in the first place. If they're going to make Porgs, of course they're going to exploit the cuteness factor in scenes like that.

Rocksicles posted:

Yeah Puffins and Falcons don't get along.

Well, Puffins don't like Falcons, but Falcons think Puffins are delicious.

Edited to add that I finally watched Episode 6. I liked it much better than Episode 5. Better acting, tighter pace and Mando actually managed to get paid! In real, spendable money!

Everyone fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Dec 15, 2019

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Richard Aode was good.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Arglebargle III posted:

Richard Aode was good.

They all were, even the New Republic guy and the folks in the X-Wings. Their sheer, what-the-gently caress-ever, morons at the base trying to launch a gunship at them was great

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Everyone posted:

They all were, even the New Republic guy and the folks in the X-Wings. Their sheer, what-the-gently caress-ever, morons at the base trying to launch a gunship at them was great

You know who they were right?

NecessaryEvil
Aug 10, 2006
Professional Slacker

SolarFire2 posted:

Also too short.

I just figured they were cold.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/kylosyth/status/1206388910244466689
oscar isaac is excommunicado

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Oscar Isaac is the only one of the three who will have a career after this. I'd be saying poo poo like that too if I was done with all these Star Wars.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Oscar Isaac has killed in every movie I've seen him in. Really different roles too.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Jose Oquendo posted:

Oscar Isaac is the only one of the three who will have a career after this. I'd be saying poo poo like that too if I was done with all these Star Wars.

Oscar Isaac is the only one of the "big three" who had a career before this, too. He's doing to be in the 2020 Dune and a couple of other movies.

Daisy Ridley is doing something called Chaos Walking with Tom Holland as well as Korma, about a woman getting to "relive" her life and A Woman of No Importance about a spy in WWII.

John Boyega is in (not starring in) something called Naked Singularity about a public defender in NYC. And is in one episode of a miniseries called Small Ax.

Isaac has a career after this. I think Ridley does as well. Figure she'll move away from sci-fi stuff to work on become the next Dame Judi Dench.

Boyega is likely to join Phillip Micheal Thomas in whatever-happened-to-that-guy Hell.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Oscar Isaac is in so many terrific sci fi movies.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Uh, John Boyega has done plenty, he's gonna keep working in big stuff.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Boyega just do attack the block 2 dude please

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

They didn't even mention BD-1, who is far cuter than BB-8.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

It's good to see Poe and Hux managed to put aside their differences

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

Kill All Cops posted:

It's good to see Poe and Hux managed to put aside their differences

Hux was really just upset that Poe and Kylo Ren didn't include him when they did that song about outer space together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSwO-k-RqNA

Sgt. Politeness fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Dec 16, 2019

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Mandalorian episode 6 trying to win me back, not only by making fun of previous Star Wars movies but also making fun of previous Mandalorian episodes.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
So hows the show doing so far or whats the consensus in this thread? I haven't kept up with it after episode 2. Just sort of fell off

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

So hows the show doing so far or whats the consensus in this thread? I haven't kept up with it after episode 2. Just sort of fell off

He goes to an NPC each week and does a side quest.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Next ep and latest ep are good, inbetween is kinda filler. Not entirely sure if my subjectiveness of good matches your tastes tho

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Not everybody likes every episode but every episode has somebody to like it

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Everyone hates baby yoda and wishes he would just loving die already, but otherwise the show is a hit.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

It's a weird show that feels out of time - alien/mercenary/bounty hunter of the week structure, very little time spent on an overarching plot, doling out all character development extremely sparsely, operating primarily through clichés (this latest episode was just a straight version of the heist tropes that Rick & Morty parodied like three weeks ago), very light on writing and dialogue, completely disposable characters, etc.

But it's got a ton of style, looks great, is funny and charming, and captures the sort of wild space west atmosphere of the universe better than most other SW media since the original trilogy. It's also very quick and breezy which feels at odds with its clearly enormous budget, but somehow it all just works. Before this and Fallen Order I was plainly in the "Star Wars sucks rear end who gives a poo poo" camp and had no intention of seeing the new movie, and I still kinda don't care about that, but that's okay because there is Other Good Star Wars Stuff Now.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I've liked every episode. It's the Star Wars version of Route 66 or Kung Fu. I'd love to see this go on for years.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Laterite posted:

I've liked every episode. It's the Star Wars version of Route 66 or Kung Fu. I'd love to see this go on for years.

Wow, it really is. Haven't thought about Kung Fu since Kill Bill

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Laterite posted:

I have a couple of friends who always complain about how this or that episode isn't leading to any big story thing and I don't see that as a problem.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
the show owns and is a charming, well-executed retelling of old movies the creators like (but in space), which is all the first star wars was anyway. it's very faithful to its roots

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
One possible resolution is that Yoda gets sent to a "universe next door" where his new "parents" are Bobbie and Amos from The Expanse. And absolutely no one fucks with Baby Yoda from that point forward.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Jose Oquendo posted:

I know what you mean, but I think it’s wrong to ignore Adam Driver. I didn’t know who he was before these movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/639179476810334208/655908358733430864/video0.mov