Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Hirez posted:

nope had no idea; I really haven't paid attention to the indy scene ever and esp not czw except from hearing the insane poo poo done their; so when I'm reading a random page about current wrestlers names (like lio and like roderick strong) I'm like wtf; like I guess maybe I just assumed CZW was kinda its own deathmatch orientated wresters thing, but I guess they have regular matches to? again never really paid attention to it cept from like the vice doc and insane spots

Generally the US death match groups have always had a mix of death matches & other stuff. For a while in the mid-00s the CZW Dojo was linked with the Chikara school. CZW was the place in the US that first brought in El Generico & Kevin Steen, because Mike Burns (guy behind Smart Mark Video) was booking their non-death match stuff and he had seen them in IWS. CZW was the place outside of California that the PWG crew like Super Dragon, Excalibur, Chris Bosh, Joey Ryan, Scott Lost etc all worked the most. IWA Mid South is another one: CM Punk & Chris Hero had a series of matches there in 2001/02 (including a 90 minute match which I can't imagine stands up at all now but was novel back then). Later in the decade it was the first place I saw guys like Chuck Taylor & Ricochet, Matt Sydal/Evan Bourne & Delirious. They both have shows tournaments, CZW has Best of the Best, IWA Mid South had the Ted Petty Invitational, & you'd really see the best dudes on the indies at these events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

IWA Mid-South (best known for deathmatches, some of which were utter trash) had a three way in 2002 between CM Punk, Eddy Guererro, and an unmasked Rey Mysterio Jr that is one of my favourite matches of all time https://youtu.be/a5EULLFRv9E

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Randaconda posted:

Jericho's story in his book about almost making GBS threads his pants when Bad News caught him talking to his wife was amazing :allears:

Lance Storm has some pretty funny memories of rowdy Canadian locker rooms suddenly behaving themselves whenever Bad News was booked.

Another advocate for non-deathmatch wrestling in CZW back in the day was Nick Gage; Chuck Taylor and others have said that he was really supportive of them. IWA-MS also had Mike Quackenbush as a heel light heavyweight champion back in the day and it owned.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Randaconda posted:

Jericho's story in his book about almost making GBS threads his pants when Bad News caught him talking to his wife was amazing :allears:

Bad News' wife was scary in her own right, she's the one who shamed him when he went along with certain racist angles Vince wanted him to do.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

The only thing I understand about Nick Gage is that I do not understand Nick Gage. He may have one of the world's most fascinating minds.
Wait, I also understand that I find him scary as hell.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Who are some of the "loudest" sellers?

I can't say if he's the best but I always remember how vocal of a performer Lex Luger ws. I know it's him from his very distinct grunts of pain.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

NikkolasKing posted:

I can't say if he's the best but I always remember how vocal of a performer Lex Luger ws. I know it's him from his very distinct grunts of pain.

He's got better at the psychology of selling, but Will Ospreay used to be the loudest seller on the planet.

And the comedy option is early career Chuck Taylor matches where he would just SCREAM when someone hit him. Or threatened to.

Lamuella fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Dec 15, 2019

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

flair

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

NikkolasKing posted:

jericho used to be like that but he shut up over the past like decade or so.

just watch the jericho/wild pegasus match from WAR that's on youtube, where Jericho just screams for his loving life while Benoit beats the absolute poo poo out of him

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

everyone who wrestled in AJW and JPW in the 90s

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mshCWl3Jkyk

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

NikkolasKing posted:

I'd never noticed Lex's sell grunts until a friend pointed them out last year, and now they're all I notice when I watch his matches.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Does Brodie Lee own his name? I know that, that is his name on the indies but I associate that name with Chikara and Quack is kinda anal about this stuff, I believe.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

TV Zombie posted:

Does Brodie Lee own his name? I know that, that is his name on the indies but I associate that name with Chikara and Quack is kinda anal about this stuff, I believe.

He wrestled as Brodie Lee for several years before joining Chikara. Though Quack did give him the "Big Rig" gimmick, which translated into his Luke Harper look.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

TV Zombie posted:

He trademarked the Brodie Lee name just before his WWE release apparently so yes.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Edit: wrong thread.

LividLiquid fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Dec 16, 2019

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Thanks

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Meant to post that in the TLC thread.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

I forgot there was a PPV. that makes sense

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

CombineThresher posted:

I'd never noticed Lex's sell grunts until a friend pointed them out last year, and now they're all I notice when I watch his matches.

The Luger Sell was a bit of a meme on Prodigy Classic and then the early wrestling web thanks to GH and Joe.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Joey Janela sells like he's in a Friday the 13th movie and Jason just took a machete to his nuts

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Sorry I got another question.

I guess it shouldn't surprise me but the flying elbow is apparently a very dangerous move and I recall hearing a big name really hurt somebody with it once. Was it Savage? I don't think it was Shawn and those are the only two I know of who used the top rope elbow. I just remember hearing somebody got something crushed or caved in. Not a whole lot go go on, sorry.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

ZSJ breathes louder than any other human on the planet

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

I guess it shouldn't surprise me but the flying elbow is apparently a very dangerous move and I recall hearing a big name really hurt somebody with it once. Was it Savage? I don't think it was Shawn and those are the only two I know of who used the top rope elbow. I just remember hearing somebody got something crushed or caved in. Not a whole lot go go on, sorry.

I mean anything can go wrong with a flying elbow but as far as I understand, the main problem is (at least in Savage's case) the flyer basically lands all of their mass on their own knee, which with time and hundreds of elbow drops wears it out horribly. Savage had some major knee issues. Some people seem to land it more on their hip which can't be healthy either.

I'm sure someone injured someone else doing it too, because it's wrestling and a big dude is landing on top of another from a considerable height

Let me know if I'm talking garbage

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Savage from the late 90s onwards apparently couldn’t land on his hip anymore so he’d just shoot elbow drop people

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

The incident you're probably thinking of is when Savage hit Charles "Lil' Naitch" Robinson with an elbow drop that cracked several of his vertebrae and collapsed a lung.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

DeathChicken posted:

Joey Janela sells like he's in a Friday the 13th movie and Jason just took a machete to his nuts

Him selling an atomic drop for almost a full minute on AEW Dark was so, so good.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
Is there a compilation of bad news brown just putting racists in wrestling in their place? I could listen to him shutting down bullshit forever.

Diar
Dec 22, 2003

Why would I have a problem with it? John Redcorn is gay, and I've been friends with him for twenty years.
What are the international announce teams on WWE like? I see them get introduced and I always wonder what people who speak those languages think of them in terms of quality (or if you are bilingual) at least compared to the english teams. Also I guess are any of them heel/face leaning or is it more of a straight up call the action type thing?

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I once listened to the German announce team and I remember the sounding a lot like German announcers calling football.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

NikkolasKing posted:

Basically the entire Divas division had this problem for a while (partly because the crowd would be dead for the Divas matches.)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I remember that someone here (or in the WCW thread?) talked about growing up watching wrestling in Europe and how the French announce team was checked-out, generally terrible, and repeated the same bits over and over.

I can't imagine that a bored sportscaster saying "Ooh la la" every time a woman appears could be 1% as bad as hearing Lawler shriek THE PUPPIES!!! THE PUPPIES!!! over and over year after year

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
What's your favorite unintended side effect of WWE's terrible booking in the last 10 or so years? Mine is when a heel gets over by being entertaining or having good matches, so they get turned face only for the crowd to eventually turn on them because WWE has no idea how to book faces, and then they go back to being heel pretty much for good because nobody cares about them or wants to cheer for them anymore.

So basically Ziggler and Rollins, is what I'm saying.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

TriffTshngo posted:

What's your favorite unintended side effect of WWE's terrible booking in the last 10 or so years? Mine is when a heel gets over by being entertaining or having good matches, so they get turned face only for the crowd to eventually turn on them because WWE has no idea how to book faces, and then they go back to being heel pretty much for good because nobody cares about them or wants to cheer for them anymore.

So basically Ziggler and Rollins, is what I'm saying.

aew

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

NikkolasKing posted:

Minami Toyota. I’m not sure she’s ever quiet

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

jesus WEP posted:

Savage from the late 90s onwards apparently couldn’t land on his hip anymore so he’d just shoot elbow drop people

I'm having trouble picturing the difference between a shoot and worked elbow drop.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I imagine the difference is taking the impact on your own knees/hip/body vs actually having the other guy take the full brunt of the move

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, visually it probably doesn't look too different, but there's certainly a difference to the people involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I'm having trouble picturing the difference between a shoot and worked elbow drop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Kfxg38O_TM
watch the progression as he goes from landing short & only the arm hits to just straight-up landing on people.