Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

SelenicMartian posted:

Necrovision, but ghosts?

And also maybe good, unlike Necrovision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

The Longest Dark but with horror would be really cool

It'd be so easy to mod the entire deal into "Mythos end of the world, you're surviving in the arctic, don't let the shoggoth smell your campfire"

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
People always complain about survival mechanics even as it is. Shifting that to snow instead of having to drink and eat would probably just annoy people in a different way.

I also think it just generally doesn't mesh that well with horror. Horror is too dependent on tight and well-planned timing and pacing. Making there be a simulation aspect centered around waiting for stuff to dry sounds inimical to that.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Night10194 posted:

And also maybe good, unlike Necrovision.

Booooo!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/adsk4/status/1205915655691620352?s=21

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Wtf I didn’t know that was a thing. Maria’s not real, why does she have her own adventure??

Ugh and now I’m realizing how young all the Silent Hill protagonists actually are. Hard to tell with their melty PS2 cgi graphics.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It is kind of hilarious how Angela is supposed to be, like, 18 or something but looks to be in her early 40s if you just go by her in-game graphics.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

al-azad posted:

Wtf I didn’t know that was a thing. Maria’s not real, why does she have her own adventure??

Ugh and now I’m realizing how young all the Silent Hill protagonists actually are. Hard to tell with their melty PS2 cgi graphics.

It was on the Xbox and I believe ps2 greatest hits version

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I thought everyone was in their 30s and near 40s when I played 2, I only ever saw Heather as young since it's blatant

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

You're not the only one, I only learned how old they were supposed to be (aside from the literal little kid) years and years later.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Oh, are we talking about good/bad horror settings? My turn.

Settings that need to be done more:

Pre-20th century. As mentioned, Southern Gothic settings are ripe for horror.

Caves.

A ship.

An alien planet where the flora and fauna are your enemies.

Somewhere cold and mountainous, like in Kholat, except done way better.

Settings that need to gently caress off:

Haunted houses

Forests

Hospitals/mental asylums

Any "dreamscape" setting that's weird and off-putting for no reason

Hell, especially if it's full of fire and blood.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Caves and mines are a mostly unexplored territory for horror games! Scanner Sombre had a great approach to that, although the focus wasn't as much on being a horror game.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

They also tend to be pretty unpopular whenever they do appear, though. I've seen people say that "a cave or mine is just a dry sewer level" more than once.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Cryostasis was a pretty good ice-themed horror-esque title. As for dreamscape stuff, The Void nailed that pretty damned well.

Overdone settings I wish would take a breather: hospitals and asylums

Concepts I'd like to see handled well: depictions of the horror of homelessness, the horror of anxiety and depression, the horror of being a victim of emotional abuse. I'd prefer if they were treated realistically and not as some supernatural metaphor for it. Something that makes the player feel hopeless and helpless but with no other means of surviving other than to just keep on going.

al-azad posted:

It is basically about Maria coming to exist and learning what she's there for and what she is, like Lisa from the first game.

The Splash
May 30, 2011

I'll never say hole again.

al-azad posted:

It was actually pretty neat as a post-main-game bonus. Makes you feel better or worse about how you treated her in the main game.

Plus in the versions of the game that have this story it sets the scene for the Rebirth ending.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
haunted houses are evergreen, but it all comes down to how they’re implemented

hospitals are played out though

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

FirstAidKite posted:

Concepts I'd like to see handled well: depictions of the horror of homelessness, the horror of anxiety and depression, the horror of being a victim of emotional abuse. I'd prefer if they were treated realistically and not as some supernatural metaphor for it. Something that makes the player feel hopeless and helpless but with no other means of surviving other than to just keep on going.

I don't know if it's all you mention, but have you tried Cart Life? I've heard a few people say that it really got to them.

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

I've always wanted to see a cave game in VR, just to really grind in the claustrophobia and darkness. Basically that scene in The Descent when someone gets stuck in the tunnel.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

DrSnakeLaser posted:

I've always wanted to see a cave game in VR, just to really grind in the claustrophobia and darkness. Basically that scene in The Descent when someone gets stuck in the tunnel.
Looks like Scanner Somber got a VR update, looking forward to trying that out when I get a VR headset.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

They also tend to be pretty unpopular whenever they do appear, though. I've seen people say that "a cave or mine is just a dry sewer level" more than once.

I think this is just correlation != causation thing. It’s unpopular because people aren’t making it.

If Penumbra hadn’t been completely overshadowed by Amnesia we’d probably see more cave horror like how the next three years post-Amnesia was dark ruins. We’re still feeling the effects of Slender and the lazy rear end dark forest.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
A horror game set in a restaurant/hotel. Part cooking simulator, part the Shining.

Oh, a new take on the cosmic horror thing that relies on the inherent mystery of Old Bay Seasoning. Maybe tie it in to the horrors of a decaying transport infrastructure and the superfoods trend.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I still think proper horror VR is going to take poo poo to a level we never expected

I want to see real time monster avoidance with some terrified tool squirming on their floor to simulate keeping under a table

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

There is a stealth game called "GTFO" that showed up on my Steam list, looks like Prometheus??

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Zushio posted:

A horror game set in a restaurant/hotel. Part cooking simulator, part the Shining.

Oh, a new take on the cosmic horror thing that relies on the inherent mystery of Old Bay Seasoning. Maybe tie it in to the horrors of a decaying transport infrastructure and the superfoods trend.

Night in the Woods, sponsored by Old Bay

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Zushio posted:

The real nightmare and mystery is why people go with Old Bay. JO #2 or get out of my town!

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Let me tell you why Old Bay is bad news, the horror word you want for that is ‘Sysco’

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Black August posted:

I still think proper horror VR is going to take poo poo to a level we never expected

I want to see real time monster avoidance with some terrified tool squirming on their floor to simulate keeping under a table

Boneworks has been making strides in VR. It fully simulates everything as a physics body, including the player character. This is mostly used to let you climb and use anything as a weapon (and other extrapolations like struggling to hold doors closed against charging enemies), but you can also crawl under stuff by actually crouching and it has a system for NPCs seeing the player’s body. Wouldn’t take much to get a horror game out of that.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Basic Chunnel posted:

There is a stealth game called "GTFO" that showed up on my Steam list, looks like Prometheus??

GTFO's a co-op stealth/shooter game by a bunch of former staff from overkill software who jumped ship early on when they realized the CEO was running the company into the dirt. Overkill had a rocky history, but current word on GTFO is it's very, very good, hitting a gameplay loop structure that past co-op stealth/horror games have only sort of gestured at.

Rough plot: The players are strapped into machines and sent down into a horrifying maze of technology called "the complex" on missions at the behest of a mysterious "warden". Standout features include a lot of ongoing support promises, really nice graphics, some quite impressive randomization factors, and some really deep puzzle/planning elements.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

FirstAidKite posted:

I saw this advertised recently, the demo is very promising:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1170570/The_Drifter/

quote:

Mick Carter's been drifting a while now - never staying one place long, moving from job to job. Forced to return to his old home town, he witnesses a violent murder, is pursued by mysterious armed men, and killed.

And that's just the start of Mick's problems.

His consciousness ripped away, thrust back into his own body seconds before his death...
Framed for the murder he witnessed, tormented by his own past, and haunted by a feeling that something followed him back from the other side...

Follow Mick as he's sucked headfirst into a mad web of shadowy corporations, murder, and the thousand year obsession of a madman.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Discendo Vox posted:

GTFO's a co-op stealth/shooter game by a bunch of former staff from overkill software who jumped ship early on when they realized the CEO was running the company into the dirt. Overkill had a rocky history, but current word on GTFO is it's very, very good, hitting a gameplay loop structure that past co-op stealth/horror games have only sort of gestured at.

Rough plot: The players are strapped into machines and sent down into a horrifying maze of technology called "the complex" on missions at the behest of a mysterious "warden". Standout features include a lot of ongoing support promises, really nice graphics, some quite impressive randomization factors, and some really deep puzzle/planning elements.

It's a lot of fun and has elicited multiple "gently caress THAT noise" reactions from me in the first few hours of play. It's very much a "try to deal with things quietly but be ready for it to get loud" style of play, with some sections forcing it to get loud but most bring down to whether or not you're good at sneaking up to things and dismembering them with hammers.

I'm looking forward to playing more of it, really my only worry at this point is how the enemies don't seem to be that diverse.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

The devs have indicated they have more enemies prepped for release. I am concerned that multiple statements from them make it sound like they've not got a clear monetization path.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Yeah that's a worry. They could go the Payday 2 route of missions and weapons I guess but the fact they've not planned it out doesn't speak volumes for the longevity.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
There is a cave diving game I saw on the channel AlphaBetaGamer, a relatively short game that focuses on rappelling down a cave shaft. Not a whole lot of horror, except for the claustrophobic nature of the setting, and some stuff later on, but it's neat.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Section Z posted:

...Man, Wild West Horror is now making me imagine a from the inside out version of a horror settlement simulator. Where you are just another cog in a well established midgame town going through the motions of grinding up before the Big Endgame Disaster.

I've been reading a lot of Thomas Ligotti stuff lately and he writes some really really good horror stories around stuff like factories and office buildings and bureaucracies . I guess there's that one FNAF game but more horror related sim/management games would be really cool

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

A horror game where you switch between characters (a patient, the janitor, a young doctor, a overworked nurse) in what starts out as fully functional and full of people but slowly becomes more derelict as the story progresses and the supernatural takes over. Basically Pathologic except inside one building and not as Slavic.

A game where you play as a servant in a manor house around the turn of the last century. You need to both fulfill your duties to your unhinged and inbred aristocratic masters and solve the mystery the manor's haunted history.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Dec 15, 2019

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

goferchan posted:

I've been reading a lot of Thomas Ligotti stuff lately and he writes some really really good horror stories around stuff like factories and office buildings and bureaucracies . I guess there's that one FNAF game but more horror related sim/management games would be really cool

FreudianSlippers posted:

A horror game where you switch between characters (a patient, the janitor, a young doctor, a overworked nurse) in what starts out as fully functional and full of people but slowly becomes more derelict as the story progresses and the supernatural takes over. Basically Pathologic except inside one building and not as Slavic.

A game where you play as a servant in a manor house around the turn of the last century. You need to NBA both fulfill your duties to your unhinged and inbred aristocratic masters and solve the mystery the manor's haunted history.
These both sound pretty interesting, though my intended pitch was for "Everyone is dealing with the apocalypse just fine without you", like once you get comfortable in the middle of a game of Rebuild or something.

Which could be it's own form of crushing isolation. If you are just that one guy that keeps getting ordered to scout or loot tiles. While everyone else researches The Cure, fend off the big push hordes, puts a stop to doomsday cultists opening portals to hell, and all the other more impressive looking aspects of the apocalypse while you are stuck with the nine to five. "Look, SOMEBODY has to sort these cans of beans between Vegan and Not Vegan"

Butler just trying to do his goddamned job while his master grows more and more tendrils that thirst for blood and bloody marys does sound loving amazing though :allears:

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Discendo Vox posted:

Though it's a multiplayer game without any matchmaking at present, so that's not a great start to be honest.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Apparently it’s not the kind of game (at least currently) that really lends itself to pub games. It’s not as forgiving as like L4D

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
A game taking place in an office could be interesting, especially if you tied it into that ‘backrooms’ creepypasta thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

just play FEAR