Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is there a way to configure a button to reset the AF point back to dead center on a D610?

I’m looking through the menus and can’t see anything.

Ultimately not a disaster if not, there’s only so many times I’d need to hit the dpad to adjust back to center, but would be convenient to just bind it to Fn or something.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Apr 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Isn’t it just push in the d-pad?

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Anyone have opinions on older generations of the Nikon 85mm 1.8? I would like to take some portraits for a personal project this summer and I've noticed that some of the older generation manual focus lenses are ~170-200 quid used vs 300-400 quid for the current gen.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
I can't answer your question about the comparison, but I wanted to suggest looking at modern alternatives if your ok with manual lenses. The manual 85mm from Samyang/Rokinon is supposedly good value for the money.

Also there are a lot of inexpensive vintage 135mm's out there.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Startyde posted:

Isn’t it just push in the d-pad?

Oh yeah I think I realized this like a day after posting the question.

Love the D610 so far. Love my F4 as well, but wish it played well with G lenses.

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

AfricanBootyShine posted:

Anyone have opinions on older generations of the Nikon 85mm 1.8?

I've got one of the old pre-AI 85's and I like it a lot!

I bought a handfull of really old pre-AI nikkors when I was last in Japan and I really enjoy using them on my flimsy Sony A7.

Be aware that the f/1.8 version won't mount on any of the not-low-end Nikon DSLR bodies - the aperture ring isn't made to accommodate the metering coupling around the mount. I'm reasonably sure the 85mm f/2 Ai-Nikkors should work though.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

spongepuppy posted:

I bought a handfull of really old pre-AI nikkors when I was last in Japan and I really enjoy using them on my flimsy Sony A7.

I just got to JP and I'm hoping to scratch my 80-200 and 85 itch at some used shops today or tomorrow :haw:

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

I regret not spending more time in Top Camera in Nagoya. Although I love the 35mm PC Nikkor I bought there for 200bux

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Welp, picked up my 80-200 2.8 AF-ED from Miyama Camera in Shinjuku. Thing is a beast on my D610 and on my F4 the whole kit weighs nearly as much as I do.

Need a new camera bag though. My small Amazon Basics shoulder bag is definitely not going to fit the lens attached to a body.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

Heated Gaming Moment posted:

I’ve had a D600 for 5-6 years now and while it’s my baby, I’m finally fed up with the blah autofocus as my kids grow faster and less patient to pose for photos. I’m thinking about picking up a used D750. For those who have shot with both is the D750 a big upgrade as the reviews indicate?

Man, this thread moves slowly. Is it worth it?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I loved my D750 but I never shot with a D600 so I have no basis for comparison. And also most of my lenses are manual focus. sooooo.... Yeah, great upgrade go for it.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Non-pro of all brands are loving annoying to shoot close range action with, and that goes double for the FX stuff with lower effective DoF

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Heated Gaming Moment posted:

Man, this thread moves slowly. Is it worth it?

Can't compare with the D600 since I don't have one but the D750 has quite respectable autofocus, and this is coming from someone who shoots mostly birds. It is no D500 but not far off either. Wish the focus point spread was larger though, that could be a problem depending on what/how you shoot.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
So after selling most of my camera stuff I’ve started getting the itch again. Last time my favorite portrait shots were with my Pentax 67 with the shallow depth of field. I can’t swing a digital medium format and don’t want to deal with film so this would park me in a full frame camera if I want shallow depth of field. On the other hand I also had a lot of action shots at the local fire spinners hang out but found the buffer and slow transfer drove me bonkers on my d7000. I’m looking at the D750 and D810 right wondering what would be a better buy used. The D810 is appealing because if the CF card with a better transfer speed but the D750 is cheaper, better focus and identical controls to a D7000. The other though is a D500 and just get a 1.4 prime lens for portraits but not sure how well it would work.

TLDR: D750 or D810 or D500?

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Shrieking Muppet posted:

(I own a D750 and a D500).

Unless you have a need for the extra pixels of the D810 I'd go D750. It's a killer camera with a solid autofocus system and is a fair bit smaller than the rather chunky D810.

D500 is a bit of a specialty tool if you have high demands on fps, autofocus performance, and buffer size (well, technically the buffer isn't that huge but with a fast XQD card it flushes faster than the camera records). For birding it's a stellar body but it seems a bit pointless for "regular" use, though it certainly would work well for most situations.

Clayton Bigsby fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Aug 10, 2019

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Shrieking Muppet posted:

So after selling most of my camera stuff I’ve started getting the itch again. Last time my favorite portrait shots were with my Pentax 67 with the shallow depth of field. I can’t swing a digital medium format and don’t want to deal with film so this would park me in a full frame camera if I want shallow depth of field. On the other hand I also had a lot of action shots at the local fire spinners hang out but found the buffer and slow transfer drove me bonkers on my d7000. I’m looking at the D750 and D810 right wondering what would be a better buy used. The D810 is appealing because if the CF card with a better transfer speed but the D750 is cheaper, better focus and identical controls to a D7000. The other though is a D500 and just get a 1.4 prime lens for portraits but not sure how well it would work.

The fire spinner bit, the D500 would definitely shine for. Other than that, I'd agree with Clayton.

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008
I'm looking to make the jump to full frame from d5600, but I'm a bit lost. I do the usual travel / family / pet shots as well as product photos for my business. I don't want to spend a crazy amount so I'm thinking d600-d810 range. Is there a model that is the best value for features? My wife is good at deal hunting but I need to give her a target :)
Any help is really appreciated

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Why do you need full frame, what does it give you that crop sensor does not?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
D750 is what I’d do — they sold a zillion of em and they’re a really good all round FF camera.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Wild EEPROM posted:

Why do you need full frame, what does it give you that crop sensor does not?

This. What’s your limiting factor with the body you have? What lenses do you have?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My D610 was so cheap secondhand from Japan on eBay that I didn’t even give it much thought. Haven’t been disappointed with the purchase yet.

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008
So here's my thinking and maybe I'm way off.
The images I use can only be 10mb, and should be greater than 1000px on the shortest side. I figure if I fill the frame with a full frame camera, I will get the most detail from the image for the size the relative size of the image. Is that how it works or am I completely off base?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
In that use case the camera sensor size is irrelevant as far as I can think of. You’ll have a little better signal to noise ratio but honestly at that size I doubt it’s perceptible. But I love full frame and the lens options are so much better on Nikon...

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Dial M for MURDER posted:

The images I use can only be 10mb, and should be greater than 1000px on the shortest side. I figure if I fill the frame with a full frame camera, I will get the most detail from the image for the size the relative size of the image. Is that how it works or am I completely off base?
With an image that small your sensor type barely matters unless you really need the most amazing bokeh

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Honestly it does not sound like you'd benefit from upgrading to an FX camera. Better that you spend the money on a new lens, lighting, or other related equipment that might have more of an impact on the results. Just start with identifying exactly what it is you are wanting to improve though.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I also think that the thing that's going to have the biggest effect on detail in your image at those sizes is your post processing and how you scale the image.

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008
I have a light box I use for the items and that works pretty good. I don't do much post, mostly color correction, and fixing irregularities. I then just use "image size" to make it as big as possible and still be 10mb.
I am open to any suggestions though, because I haven't really been into photography for over a decade.

Although to be 100% honest I may upgrade anyway :) I can write it all off and want to be in the cool full frame kids club

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

I have a light box I use for the items and that works pretty good. I don't do much post, mostly color correction, and fixing irregularities. I then just use "image size" to make it as big as possible and still be 10mb.
I am open to any suggestions though, because I haven't really been into photography for over a decade.

Although to be 100% honest I may upgrade anyway :) I can write it all off and want to be in the cool full frame kids club

Nothing wrong with upgrading just because you want to, it's fun with new gear and can sometimes be inspiring as well. But if you're wanting advice on what to get you might want to be more specific as to what you think needs to improve. If you just want to go FF for no specific technical reason the D750 is hard to beat for bang for the buck these days. Can get them lightly used for a very reasonable sum and they are excellent do-it-all cameras with solid autofocus, good low light capability, and enough resolution for most needs.

Clayton Bigsby fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Nov 10, 2019

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008
Thanks for the recommendation! There was a lot going on and I hated to make a silly mistake by getting an outdated sensor or bad focus or something.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Since we're talking about full frame- I'm thinking of upgrading from a D7000 in the next year or two. I also shoot film on the side (mainly portraits with 50 and soon 85mm). Would it make more sense for me to get a D750 instead of a D7500, if the lenses I use most are FX anyway? Or do the extra features of the D7500 make it worth it?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

AfricanBootyShine posted:

Since we're talking about full frame- I'm thinking of upgrading from a D7000 in the next year or two. I also shoot film on the side (mainly portraits with 50 and soon 85mm). Would it make more sense for me to get a D750 instead of a D7500, if the lenses I use most are FX anyway? Or do the extra features of the D7500 make it worth it?

This depends what you shoot. If its wildlife then the extra reach and faster fps of the D7500 may come in handy. Otherwise, since you already own a fair amount of FX glass, then Id go with the 750.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Get a D850, you know you want to.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Mega Comrade posted:

This depends what you shoot. If its wildlife then the extra reach and faster fps of the D7500 may come in handy. Otherwise, since you already own a fair amount of FX glass, then Id go with the 750.

750. No question. Especially if you’re already invested in the glass.

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008
Since it's been recommended for me and the person above, I'm just gonna post that best buy is gonna have it on sale for $999 for black Friday. So far that's the best deal I've found.

Dial M for MURDER fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Nov 11, 2019

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

So uh... might be time for a thread title change or something I guess.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Title remains accurate, though.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I bought a D600. Needed something for the small event and portrait jobs I'm picking up more often. The old 5DII was getting clunky with over 250K shutter actuations and since I've been shooting film on an FE2 I've collected a good deal of older Nikon lenses. The new-to-me D600 was less than $450 and had about 10K shutter count. I figure that it must've been replaced by Nikon back when everyone was freaking out about the shutter oil issue. Also grabbed a used Tamron SP 45/1.8 VC. The OIS on a fast-ish prime and good-looking ISO 6400 make it pretty great for low-light stuff. Most of my other Nikon lenses are manual focus only. With those, the focus confirmation light is handy and accurate, but I definitely have to work slow with it. I think the manual focus primes will be more useful for video, though. It may be 1080p on an old camera with an old codec, but the color and 'full frame look' give it a certain quality that I like.

The only issue I've run into so far is AF accuracy with the Tamron. Had to dial in -12 AF Fine Tune. Seems like a large adjustment but it works fine now. I'm curious to see if first-party AF lenses need as much adjustment. If they do, I guess it might be something with the camera. Even though the AF system is pretty limited, I'm imagining picking up the 200-500 at some point for wildlife shooting. Hopefully I won't have any focus accuracy issues with it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My 610 has been consistently accurate on my 80-200 and 50 1.8 so I’m hoping that is the case across the board.

Seluin
Jan 4, 2004

I have a d800 and am doing microscope photography. Are there some good alternatives to Nikon Camera Control 2 for controlling things from a PC/Mac? The reviews I'm reading for it makes me think it might not work with my OS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Years ago I used Helicon Remote with my D800 for product photography focus stacking. No idea how it is these days but I remember it working well then.