Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Landos secret superpower is that you can't stay mad at him, no matter what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

It's a little jarring how much less stilted the dialogue is in Episode 4 compared to Episode 3. Supposedly there was some kind of dialect they were speaking in Episode 3? What a bullshit excuse.

Darth Vader is a lot more emotional here than he is in other appearances, too.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

It's a little jarring how much less stilted the dialogue is in Episode 4 compared to Episode 3. Supposedly there was some kind of dialect they were speaking in Episode 3? What a bullshit excuse.

the protagonists of the prequels are the powerful high-society people, the protagonists of the original trilogy are farm boys and outlaws

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Are we at the acting is "wooden" and the CG looks like a PS1 game part of the prequel discussion cycle?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Pollyanna posted:

As others said, the more highfalutin chat makes sense for how all the upperclass people are a bunch of ineffective chumps, but on top that I love how much more emotional Vader is in Episode 4 especially at the beginning because he they made that retroactively even better with Rogue One. Like Vader JUST SAW those guys LITERALLY GET HANDED THE PLANS AND RUN OFF and this pissant is telling him they're on a diplomatic journey or whatever of course he loses it lol

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Pollyanna posted:

It's a little jarring how much less stilted the dialogue is in Episode 4 compared to Episode 3.

The dialog in ANH is stilted as hell, dude. Vader, Leia, and Tarkin snipe at each other like they're performing in theater. The Vader and Obi-wan fight dialog is basically one-for-one on how they talk in RotS.

If you want to compare the prequels against a sci-fi film with natural dialog, then ANH is about the worst film you could have picked.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Most of ANH is 3PO and Luke so far, so I'm not even talking about Leia. Tarkin hasn't showed up yet.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Grendels Dad posted:

Landos secret superpower is that you can't stay mad at him, no matter what.

It wasn't his fault!

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

You should check out some of the dialogue in the old screentests and deleted scenes. It's a lot more verbose and jargon heavy.

I think 40 years of cultural osmosis has a lot to do with feeling like the original films' dialogue is more natural.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

The dialog in ANH is stilted as hell, dude. Vader, Leia, and Tarkin snipe at each other like they're performing in theater. The Vader and Obi-wan fight dialog is basically one-for-one on how they talk in RotS.

If you want to compare the prequels against a sci-fi film with natural dialog, then ANH is about the worst film you could have picked.

Idk dude, the obi wan Vader fight dialogue always seemed stilted to me. I do agree it's basically just a continuation of thier dialogue in 3 tho

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
I like the fact that if you take the cast from the OT and PT and switch their locales, they likely wouldn't fit in where they're placed. The OT crowd would think the PT people are weird and pretentious. The PT crowd would think the OT people were bumpkins without class. Both would likely be like, "These people talk funny. :saddowns:".

Different economic situations mean different social scenes. The weird dialogue was actually something I think worked in the Prequels. Taking Kenobi, Sheev, and the other stately rich person accents peppered through the OT and going all in was a cool choice.

Dishwasher fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Dec 15, 2019

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Pollyanna posted:

Most of ANH is 3PO and Luke so far, so I'm not even talking about Leia. Tarkin hasn't showed up yet.

Famously unstilted talker Golden Robot Butler.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

mandatory lesbian posted:

Idk dude, the obi wan Vader fight dialogue always seemed stilted to me.

That's my point.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Stilted doesn't mean the same thing as corny or overdramatic. I get how Obi-Wan's lines could be seen as overdramatic when he fights Vader--he's a space wizard after all, but they work for three reasons: They're well acted, well framed, and they're concise. But a lot of it comes from Ford and Guinness being empowered on set to workshop and take ownership of their roles.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

That's my point.

somehow i thought you were making that a separate point from talking about tarkin/leia.vader all sniping at each other, and i don't know how i thought that -_-

Timeless Appeal posted:

Stilted doesn't mean the same thing as corny or overdramatic. I get how Obi-Wan's lines could be seen as overdramatic when he fights Vader--he's a space wizard after all, but they work for three reasons: They're well acted, well framed, and they're concise. But a lot of it comes from Ford and Guinness being empowered on set to workshop and take ownership of their roles.

i dont think its overdramatic, i just think it doesn't sound like two people talking to each other naturally. i also dont think thats a bad thing, its definitely one of the better scenes in any of the movies

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Marin Karin posted:

rotj loving rules and the brutality of luke going batshit and whaling on a defenseless vader like he's joe pesci in the desert is visceral

There's a clip out there from a documentary that shows this scene from a distant, wide angle and even though it's just raw unprocessed footage, I felt it was even more powerful than how it was filmed.

If anyone knows what I'm talking about, please repost it because I haven't been able to find it again.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

I like how leia has like a soft british accent for only one or two scenes

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Thats cringier than most anything from the PT

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

she's just code switching if you think about it

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Leia is speaking in some elevated RP accent when we first see her because she's an ambassador to the Imperial Senate and mimicks the language of her stodgy English oppressors, a custom well-documented in historical colonialism. This is actually a pretty good piece of worldbuilding because it hints at a greater culture beyond what we just see in A New Hope without a three-minute explanation of why for the idiots, and if it existed in a modern Star Wars script would probably not have made the cut.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Yeah, her laying on the bench in her cell all sassy and going "Aren't you short for a storm trooper?" is an intentional gag just like her taking a gun, shooting out of cover, and then jumping into a garbage chute. She'd been framed as a damsel in distress up until that point, but oh boy, she isn't quite the princess needed saving that we thought she was!

People who rag on the accent are literally missing a Shrek level joke.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

now that its almost 2020 im reflecting on the best star wars content of the decade...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lg_FoEy8T_A

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Anybody else love it when there's an establishing shot of a planet, and there's a spaceship landing in the shot?

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

I thought I remembered seeing an interview where Carrie Fisher said those were the first scenes she shot and she wasn’t sure where to go with the accent yet

It works for the reasons stated above but I thought it was unintentional.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

Anybody else love it when there's an establishing shot of a planet, and there's a spaceship landing in the shot?

I unironically loving love this.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
This is probably a terrible description from memory but there’s a part during the trench run where it zooms in on the Death Star and pans down seamlessly into the trench and it looks so good

I dunno if it’s just the special edition that makes it look that good but it works for me

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

How bad do you think Hans breath was after coming out of the Carbonite? Or would it be about the same?

Funny how Luke tries to rattle the door when trying to escape the rancor when exactly 0 doors in the star wars universe open like they do in real life.

People made a lot of the hubris shown by Luke in TLJ but here he is not a Jedi 5 minutes and he's waltzing into Jabba's palace like yo motherfucker I'm calling the shots here

codo27 fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Dec 16, 2019

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
poo poo now you’re reminding me of the dudes that get super sad when the Rancor dies

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

SleepCousinDeath posted:

poo poo now you’re reminding me of the dudes that get super sad when the Rancor dies

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

codo27 posted:

People made a lot of the hubris shown by Luke in TLJ but here he is not a Jedi 5 minutes and he's waltzing into Jabba's palace like yo motherfucker I'm calling the shots here

The more I watch the original trilogy, the more confused I am about people who claim Luke can't possibly be hotheaded and overconfident and become angry and bitter when he fails. Luke doesn't act like a stereotypical golden knight at all - for almost every second of the original trilogy that I've seen he's brash and excitable, and gets frustrated easily. Luke's TLJ character isn't so strange in that light.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Pollyanna posted:

The more I watch the original trilogy, the more confused I am about people who claim Luke can't possibly be hotheaded and overconfident and become angry and bitter when he fails. Luke doesn't act like a stereotypical golden knight at all - for almost every second of the original trilogy that I've seen he's brash and excitable, and gets frustrated easily. Luke's TLJ character isn't so strange in that light.

maybe if you hadn't been watching rotj with a commentary track you wouldn't have missed the big defining scene in the throne room

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Those ghouls who hang out with Palpatine. What do you suppose they talk about once Vader leaves?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

codo27 posted:

Those ghouls who hang out with Palpatine. What do you suppose they talk about once Vader leaves?

Probably about how he's super jelly that he doesn't get to wear all red like the rest of them.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

No I'm talking about the other guys you see after "your work here is finished my friend"

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Is that Obi-Wan TV series still happening?

Like I want that just for even the very slight possibility of force ghost Qui-Gon and the very slight possibility of Wayne Pygram Tarkin.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

codo27 posted:

In one of the Dark Empire comics there's a scene of them gleefully destroying a bunch of clones of the Emperor so they can loving FINALLY rules this poo poo for real Jesus Christ why the gently caress is this guy around so much, gently caress. :lol:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Neo Rasa posted:

Is that Obi-Wan TV series still happening?

Like I want that just for even the very slight possibility of force ghost Qui-Gon and the very slight possibility of Wayne Pygram Tarkin.

Yes, and it’s scheduled for 2021.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Ford's best acting in the whole thing are his exchanges with the ewoks. Some of the facial expressions there I'm sure he hasn't made before or since

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Colgy P. is such a dirtbag; i’m suprised he agreed to appear.