Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Anyone got a lead on a sleek, small tape measure? My wife, the architect, wants one, but it must be stylish, so none of that dewalt tactilol ribbed-for-her-pleasure.

I checked out Starrett but no dice.

Edit: something black, white or chrome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

bolind posted:

Anyone got a lead on a sleek, small tape measure? My wife, the architect, wants one, but it must be stylish, so none of that dewalt tactilol ribbed-for-her-pleasure.

I checked out Starrett but no dice.

Edit: something black, white or chrome.

How's this?

Stanley Hand Tools Stanley STHT36175 175th Anniversary 10-foot Tape Measure (1 per Pack) https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07JG2MX61/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_-r54DbWZY0XH3

edited to add picture once I got home.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Dec 1, 2019

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Beach Bum posted:

How's this?

Stanley Hand Tools Stanley STHT36175 175th Anniversary 10-foot Tape Measure (1 per Pack) https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07JG2MX61/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_-r54DbWZY0XH3

Well that's cool as poo poo.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Rhyno posted:

Well that's cool as poo poo.

I know, right? I kinda want one now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
For $11 I don't see a reason not to get one.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Go on eBay and get a vintage tape measure.

This one is to my taste.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Beach Bum posted:

How's this?

She can keep it in her back pocket and look like she has a dip ring.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Wasabi the J posted:

She can keep it in her back pocket and look like she has a dip ring.

Yeah, that's a good approach to sell her on the design.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
If she's measuring the interior of places a laser rangefinder is god drat amazing: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bosch-BLAZE-65-ft-Laser-Distance-Measurer-GLM-20-X/206839262 No one has time to gently caress around with tape measures anymore. It can't replace a tape measure for everything, but if you're just trying to figure out how long that hallway actually is... it takes 1 second and feels like magic.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

mod sassinator posted:

If she's measuring the interior of places a laser rangefinder is god drat amazing: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bosch-BLAZE-65-ft-Laser-Distance-Measurer-GLM-20-X/206839262 No one has time to gently caress around with tape measures anymore. It can't replace a tape measure for everything, but if you're just trying to figure out how long that hallway actually is... it takes 1 second and feels like magic.

You know, I've had about 20 professionals in my house over the past 4 months to inspect / give bids / estimate. I've been watching how they've been measuring and about 75% are using laser measurers, about 25% using tapes and I had 1 guy that used both a tape and a laser measurers.

This lead me to get something very similar to what you linked. I paid extra for a color screen and some features, but at $29, the one you linked is one hell of a buy and I would have grabbed that in a second if it was available at that price when I got mine.

It takes a bit to get used to, and I find myself still using a tape 70% of the time, because I'm measuring for cutting and measuring in areas where I can hang the dumb end of the tape over and edge and grab a measurement. But for pure distance/volume measuring, a laser measurer is transformative. Dead-nuts accurate and super easy to use.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

The only laser measures I've used is a Bosch (slightly older than the one linked, the Blaze stuff seems to be a new generation for them) and the Leica DISTO D2 I carry at work. Beyond just measuring for interior work, they are absolutely excellent for general carpentry. Any time you'd bend a tape into a corner, it's better. Same goes for a push measurement over a 6'+ span when a tape would droop, or a dozen other The Leica I use will do 1/32" and it's dead on perfect at the ranges I use it.
That one can also beep at you as you hit a requested measurement. I use that for laying out bridge abutments, because I can set it up on one side and bump things around until I hear the beep. Useful in a ton of other situations too.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Powershift, I have you to blame/thank for this:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

Powershift, I have you to blame/thank for this:

I have zero need for that, but I really want it.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

builds character posted:

Then you have to find a need to have it.

Good lord man, it is that drat simple.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

builds character posted:

I want to get some huge wrench and mount it over my workbench like grandpappy's old blunderbuss mounted over the mantelpiece.

I used to work at a company that built heavy equipment, and they had some wrenches in the 2.5"+ range, along with 4' long torque wrenches (which didn't actually have that high of a max torque, anything over 500 or 750 ft-lbs or something they had a hydraulic thing they used instead).
One of my (few) happy memories of that place was taking the engineering intern down to get his hands dirty working on a project, and watching him stare blankly at the wall of massive hand tools (arm tools? torso tools?). "I...I didn't know..."

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It makes an excellent hammer, snipe, and in some cases pry bar.

I always walk around the house with mine, like, it's such a neat thing to just hold in your hands.

boxen posted:

I want to get some huge wrench and mount it over my workbench like grandpappy's old blunderbuss mounted over the mantelpiece.

That's what i was thinking, mount one like a sword.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Anyone have a recommendation for a hobby grade pack out kit? I only occasionally need to carry my tools with me, but the combination of two small HF tool bags, my old (heavy) toolbox, and a (crappy) collapsible hand cart is kinda annoying.

Ideally I'd be able to choose between a medium sized bag or box, a big box on wheels, and a Voltron-like combination of the two.

I feel like something like Milwaukee's kit would be way overkill.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Uthor posted:

Maybe, but I don't know if many intermediate steps in between that and what you do now, other than getting better individual parts.
I think DeWalt also has a similar system.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

boxen posted:

That's exactly where it's going. It was only 30 Canuck bucks to boot!

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Uthor posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for a hobby grade pack out kit? I only occasionally need to carry my tools with me, but the combination of two small HF tool bags, my old (heavy) toolbox, and a (crappy) collapsible hand cart is kinda annoying.

Ideally I'd be able to choose between a medium sized bag or box, a big box on wheels, and a Voltron-like combination of the two.

The Ridgid setup is nice and cheaper than Milwaukee. The coolest part about it is they have milk-crate sort of boxes that attach too, which are great for dumping tools/bags/whatever in. Cart rolls nicely, midbox is good, top box is excellent and the small parts organizer top box is really excellent. They're built like tanks, too.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-22-in-Pro-Gear-Cart-Tool-Box-in-Black-222573/205441921
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-22-in-Pro-Tool-Box-Black-222570/205440481
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-22-in-Pro-Organizer-Black-222571/205440492
That makes up the normal stack. Cart, mid, top.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-22-in-Pro-Box-Black-226036/206291778
Basket-crate thing

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-Pro-System-Gear-10-Compartment-Small-Parts-Organizer-238093/305855062
Small parts organizer

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Cool, I'll check it out.

I saw a soft bag system in the Xmas gifts aisle at Lowes, but didn't really get into it and can't find it online. Also, one of the four pieces was knee pads, which, weird.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Hypnolobster posted:

The only laser measures I've used is a Bosch (slightly older than the one linked, the Blaze stuff seems to be a new generation for them) and the Leica DISTO D2 I carry at work. Beyond just measuring for interior work, they are absolutely excellent for general carpentry. Any time you'd bend a tape into a corner, it's better. Same goes for a push measurement over a 6'+ span when a tape would droop, or a dozen other The Leica I use will do 1/32" and it's dead on perfect at the ranges I use it.
That one can also beep at you as you hit a requested measurement. I use that for laying out bridge abutments, because I can set it up on one side and bump things around until I hear the beep. Useful in a ton of other situations too.

A couple years back I'd planned on getting some cheap no name Black Friday laser measuring tool but the store sold out before I could get one (they were the same price all month!), so my mother goes out to the garage to see if her deceased husband had one. Comes back with a Leica Disto lite 5. I never use a tape measure unless I have to anymore.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Beach Bum posted:

How's this?

I got one of those for AI:SS last year and it loving rules.
I stick it to my fridge with a salvaged hard drive magnet.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I'm buying a gift for someone who had this exact Craftsman #2x8" screwdriver on their list. The description says it has a combined handle and blade length of 8", the specs say the blade length is 8". I was going to buy them a Wera instead, but I'm trying to figure out if I need to go with a 200mm or 300mm Wera. Anyone know the total length of the Craftsman one?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

MomJeans420 posted:

I'm buying a gift for someone who had this exact Craftsman #2x8" screwdriver on their list. The description says it has a combined handle and blade length of 8", the specs say the blade length is 8". I was going to buy them a Wera instead, but I'm trying to figure out if I need to go with a 200mm or 300mm Wera. Anyone know the total length of the Craftsman one?

Going off the photo, if the entire handle is 3.74″ as claimed, that makes the bare shaft 7.8″ by my measurements.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Good point, thank you!

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Platystemon posted:

that makes the bare shaft 7.8″ by my measurements.

:same:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Platystemon posted:

Going off the photo, if the entire handle is 3.74″ as claimed, that makes the bare shaft 7.8″ by my measurements.

Please don't doxx me.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Colostomy Bag posted:

Please don't doxx me.

Hey, you're a grower not a shower, whatevs....

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Someone didn't get enough sleep and a remote grease line was cut off. Replacing it with a new one is a prohibitive amount of labor. If you wanted to sabotage this machine this would be a good way to do it.

It's some kind of soft rubber jacket with a steel core in the middle. Under the green paint it said Lincoln. Does anyone know what this kind of line is usually called and what tool would put a new threaded end on it? The John Deere implement has done it before but If I can throw a hundred bucks at a tool and overnight shipping I'd rather do that. I have the cut off end to practice with.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

What's your question exactly?

Lincoln is now a division of SKF and is big in the lubrication game, both point (grease guns) and central, automated lube.

Centralized grease lines are typically just bent steel tubing. Spaghetti hydraulic hose is often used for hose as the pressures for greasing can be quite high, it's possible that's what you have. It's literally no problem for any hose shop to make: Confirm the ends, crimp the hose like a hydraulic hose. Remember to pump/prime the hose full of grease before you mount it or you'll be pushing air.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT
Yeah if it's hydraulic line then it's gonna have to come off the machine unless you have a portable crimper and enough room to do it while it's still mounted. And if you're taking it all the way off you might as well just replace the whole thing.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

To be clear if your question is how to do a hose.. if it is a hydraulic line you could use a re-usable hydraulic fitting so you don't need a crimper, but they are expensive and not ideal. More of a solution for a problem.
This is an example, but grease lines are typically NPT in North America https://www.amazon.com/Gates-6C2AT-6RFJX-Attachable-Female-Swivel/dp/B002H3UHNS

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Sorry, I'm looking for suggestions on crimped or compression fittings to fix this grease line. I can't get at the other end to replace it without taking off several tons of wheel and gearbox that I don't have the equipment or information to do.

I suppose I can't ask for help if don't know for sure what size/kind the hose is :blush: I'll get a fresh look in the daylight

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.

thebigcow posted:

Sorry, I'm looking for suggestions on crimped or compression fittings to fix this grease line. I can't get at the other end to replace it without taking off several tons of wheel and gearbox that I don't have the equipment or information to do.

I suppose I can't ask for help if don't know for sure what size/kind the hose is :blush: I'll get a fresh look in the daylight

post a picture and measure the OD of the tube. You can probably get away with a regular compression fitting of the correct size, I have used them in a pinch for grease lines.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

thebigcow posted:

what he linked is a compression fitting for hydraulic line. one piece threads into the inside of the hose, the other threads onto the outside to sandwich the hose. You would probably want 1 male, 1 female. put them on each side of the cut, and just thread them together.

https://www.amazon.com/BA-Products-HYD-141W-x2-Hydraulic-Fitting/dp/B07MMJKB18

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
God, reusable hydraulic fittings are awful. But, I guess they have their place when necessary.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT
Ohhh, yeah, I forgot about those things. They're terrible in almost all situations, but for a grease line that would otherwise take what sounds like days to replace properly they should be just about perfect. Take the cut off end into a hose shop and have them match it up, then get one more for the end still on the machine. It'll probably start to leak grease sooner rather than later but as long as most of it gets to the component then it won't be an issue.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Bookmarked for spring. Here are unhelpful pictures and no measurements. https://imgur.com/a/tEXpVSu

Dad fixed it in the shittiest way possible but it's taking grease for now. We heated up the line so it would expand and then shoved one of these in:

http://www.lincolnindustrial.com/catalog/model.aspx?itm_id=717&cat_id=285

edit: thanks everyone. I've been working in a dark shed with two halogen lamps for heat/light. Usually this kind of work gets done in the summer when I can throw the doors open and work in sunlight

thebigcow fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Dec 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

thebigcow posted:

Bookmarked for spring. Here are unhelpful pictures and no measurements. https://imgur.com/a/tEXpVSu

For some reason, imgur gives me a warning that this image is erotic. :gizz: