Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Your favorite isekai thought crime
slavery
war crimes
boobs
protags that correctly remember and know how to recreate complex technologies
View Results

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Jackard posted:

Uhh maybe this? That's not a helpful description really, lotta things get called 'dark souls' nowadays

no, so it fits right in

Yeah that was it. Dangit. RIP...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Well it's not as bad as some of the others posted here.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Artificer posted:

What are some good isekais/mangas/manwhas/web novels what have you where the protagonist or some friends that have spooky powers or evil powers or skills normally attached to evil characters? But are good people? I love the concept so I'm collecting a list to slowly work through.
Monster Maiden Caramelize - this one isn't isekai.

Reincarnated as a Dragon's Egg - Let's Aim to be the Strongest

Reincarnated as a Werewolf - hard to say if this is good with only one chapter, but it has little dog people in armor!

The Otherworld doesn't stand a chance against the power of instant death.

The Soldier Sees a Dream About the Past - the MC has a soul pact with some sort of evil ghost.

My Status as an Assassin Obviously Exceeds the Hero's - a typical edgy setup but the MC is decent so far

ps. Death Mage Doesn't Want a Fourth Time is garbage that I won't even link here.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Vengarr posted:

Why do people like Reincarnated as a Slime? I only just started, but the novels have been an endless series of shopping lists. I'm having a hard time getting through volume two.

He's not even a loving slime by the end of volume 1. Like my god, there goes the original hook.
I've been reading the manga and it basically starts out at the slime part, maybe go with that instead?

And I think people like it because it's relatively laid back(some serious mood whiplash at times though), the characters are generally fun, and it tends to avoid some of the worst pitfalls of the genre. Still blunders right into some others though. It's still a power fantasy type, and there's certainly issues to be raised about colonialism, but it's still not the worst offender of that sort by a long shot.

The current arc the manga is going through is pretty interesting, with the newly-formed nation of monsters being declared a crime against god by the nearby militant theocracy, who have declared a genocidal war in order to annihilate the monsters as well as claim their extremely valuable territory

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

Vengarr posted:

Why do people like Reincarnated as a Slime? I only just started, but the novels have been an endless series of shopping lists. I'm having a hard time getting through volume two.

Same here. My friend recommended it, but I just couldn't get into it. Same with Overlord, even though that buffing scene is so real it hurts my soul.

Then again, I recommended shield hero back to him, so fair's fair I guess.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

The current arc the manga is going through is pretty interesting, with the newly-formed nation of monsters being declared a crime against god by the nearby militant theocracy, who have declared a genocidal war in order to annihilate the monsters as well as claim their extremely valuable territory
Agreed, but it also all feels very convenient, not only does he get to bring his friends back to life but then it goes on to paint the other side as cartoonishly evil and incompetent

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Jackard posted:

Uhh maybe this? That's not a helpful description really, lotta things get called 'dark souls' nowadays

Yeah, that's the one I was thinking of when I told Artificer that if it wasn't Re:Zero he should try this thread instead.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Jackard posted:

Agreed, but it also all feels very convenient, not only does he get to bring his friends back to life but then it goes on to paint the other side as cartoonishly evil and incompetent
ah, so like real life theocracies then :v:

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

khy posted:

New Isekai that looks like it may very well be good

Wicked Trapper : Hunter of Heroes

The MC is a game dev that produces insanely challenging traps and dungeons, and gets fired because his poo poo is too hard. So he's summoned to hell where he gets to use his trap mastery to murder the poo poo out of heroes.

So edgy. Gonna be a fun read I bet.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Jackard posted:

Reincarnated as a Werewolf - hard to say if this is good with only one chapter, but it has little dog people in armor!

It's based off a LN called Der Werewolf, the Annals of Veight. It's okay. It cna be fun here and there but the MC basically has it too easy sometimes and it's not great at establishing tension. Not dissimilar to "How a Realist Hero Rebuilt the Kingdom" in that regard. It doesn't quite have the harem situation that Realist Hero does (political marriages, but dude's surrounded by beautiful fiances) but Veight is still surrounded by women who are interested in him. It has similarities to Overlord in that the MC's past life gives him information to act differently from everyone else in his situation, and he thus develops an oversized but not undeserved reputation for being extremely cunning and deadly. Fortunately it doesn't really go into the grimdark edgy Overlord stuff because Veight is not surrounded by remorseless monsters.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Argas posted:

It's based off a LN called Der Werewolf, the Annals of Veight. It's okay. It cna be fun here and there but the MC basically has it too easy sometimes and it's not great at establishing tension. Not dissimilar to "How a Realist Hero Rebuilt the Kingdom" in that regard. It doesn't quite have the harem situation that Realist Hero does (political marriages, but dude's surrounded by beautiful fiances) but Veight is still surrounded by women who are interested in him. It has similarities to Overlord in that the MC's past life gives him information to act differently from everyone else in his situation, and he thus develops an oversized but not undeserved reputation for being extremely cunning and deadly. Fortunately it doesn't really go into the grimdark edgy Overlord stuff because Veight is not surrounded by remorseless monsters.
Hey that sounds alright! Looks like no one is picking it up though..

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Eeepies posted:

It took one chapter for me to go hard pass. Can't recommend at all.

Generally if it involves the MC being a 'bad guy' and siding with the demon lord and killing off heroes, I will overlook at lot because that style of story is my favorite.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Jackard posted:

Hey that sounds alright! Looks like no one is picking it up though..

The LNs are good enough, though goddamn those canine soldiers in the manga are cuties.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Sevens Seas's newsletter has informed me they licensed the naked isekai, of all choices. :psyduck:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Can Of Worms posted:

Sevens Seas's newsletter has informed me they licensed the naked isekai, of all choices. :psyduck:

“MangaDex.com” posted:

Description:
It's a story about a guy who dies and is sent to another world.

I'm sure you're probably wondering what sets this series apart from every dime-a-dozen isekai out there. How does this break the mold? What makes this stand out from the crowd?

The answer is simple: the main character gets reincarnated to another world... without any clothing.

...And that's it. This is how you can get published in Japan. Not by honing your writing and always striving to be a better author, but writing a story where the main character fights the same goblins and enters the same adventurer guilds but this time with his pork sword hanging out.

Truly a work of art.

... Well, uhh...... I dunno about the rest of y’all, but...... I’d read it. :shrug:

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

I am the bone of my sword.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
So, uh, like, he can NEVER wear clothing? Or clothing doesn't even exist in this world and everybody's running around naked? ("Why are you wearing such things on your body, traveler? We know it is cold, but that is just the Will of the Prophets!") Or he can't find any clothing in his size, so he ends up wearing cartoonishly outsized giant pants with a rope drawn around his waist, plus a tiny hobbit-sized coat that leaves his midriff showing?

The concept is so intriguing on its own that I almost don't want to read the manga.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Mirage posted:

So, uh, like, he can NEVER wear clothing? Or clothing doesn't even exist in this world and everybody's running around naked? ("Why are you wearing such things on your body, traveler? We know it is cold, but that is just the Will of the Prophets!") Or he can't find any clothing in his size, so he ends up wearing cartoonishly outsized giant pants with a rope drawn around his waist, plus a tiny hobbit-sized coat that leaves his midriff showing?

The concept is so intriguing on its own that I almost don't want to read the manga.

I was enough of a :sicko:* that i checked the mangadex comments, evidently the hero eventually does get clothing!

But then gets enslaved and loses it again. Isekai...isekai never changes

*not enough of a sicko to read it. Also why isn’t that sicko comic an emote

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Mirage posted:

Glancing through the scans, it looks like he gets clothes at the end of volume one, then volume two puts him in a situation where he gets stripped again. Since it's tagged comedy my guess would be that pattern is going to repeat endlessly.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
Yes, the gag is that circumstances always leave him naked as soon as he finds some clothes. Conveniently there's a tribe of human nudists in the world as well, so it's just assumed he's part of them.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
That's too bad, an isekai where the MC brings such amazing technology as "clothing" to a bunch of backward otherworld dwellers would be amazing. "I Was a Tailor in Another World."

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Fellis posted:

I was enough of a :sicko:* that i checked the mangadex comments, evidently the hero eventually does get clothing!

But then gets enslaved and loses it again. Isekai...isekai never changes

*not enough of a sicko to read it. Also why isn’t that sicko comic an emote

It's called yeshaha
:yeshaha:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

I. M. Gei posted:

... Well, uhh...... I dunno about the rest of y’all, but...... I’d read it. :shrug:

It is extremely, powerfully Not Good

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Elfface posted:

It's called yeshaha
:yeshaha:

Goddamn sickos buying emotes with bad tags, thanks

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Jackard posted:

I am the boner of my sword.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

https://mangadex.org/title/36197/makenshi-no-maken-niyoru-maken-no-tame-no-harem-life

Dude gets iseaki'd as usual but brings his ancestral swords with him into the new world. One of the swords transmogrifies into a big titty lady who the MC promptly fucks

Any other stories about a dude who wants to gently caress swords? Or other psuedo-inanimate objects?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
There was the guy who fucks his house or whatever

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I think there's a whole subgenres of guys reincarnated as inanimate objects who want to gently caress real girls

Was the reincarnated as a vending machine isekai notable at all outside of the absurd premise

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

https://mangadex.org/title/36197/makenshi-no-maken-niyoru-maken-no-tame-no-harem-life

Dude gets iseaki'd as usual but brings his ancestral swords with him into the new world. One of the swords transmogrifies into a big titty lady who the MC promptly fucks
Got to hand it to the author, it's a bold move to remind me of the far superior John Carter isekai series and then immediately jumping to watching a bandit rape a corpse. I hate this trash genre some times.

quote:

Any other stories about a dude who wants to gently caress swords? Or other psuedo-inanimate objects?
Within the context of an Isekai? Or just in general because japan does love it's stories about weapon people/Tsukumogami.

Brought To You By fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Dec 25, 2019

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm pretty sure i've read the first chapter of this several times, forgetting each time how it ends. for obvious reasons, i never continue to chapter 2.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i'm pretty sure i've read the first chapter of this several times, forgetting each time how it ends. for obvious reasons, i never continue to chapter 2.

drat a gimmick so bad it’s almost funny. It was going so well, a little weird but nothing really objectionable and then you hit the giant red flag page

An excellent example of a trash comic thanks

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

I can't believe you didn't even mention the protagonist is a sociopathic murderer at 16 who died in a swordfight in the present day lmao

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Kandachime was about being the bone(r) of your sword.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Brought To You By posted:

Within the context of an Isekai? Or just in general because japan does love it's stories about weapon people/Tsukumogami.

Either will do, I guess

SpazmasterX posted:

I can't believe you didn't even mention the protagonist is a sociopathic murderer at 16 who died in a swordfight in the present day lmao

Its in the bad thread for a reason

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Jackard posted:

I have the bone for my sword.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

Fellis posted:

drat a gimmick so bad it’s almost funny. It was going so well, a little weird but nothing really objectionable and then you hit the giant red flag page

An excellent example of a trash comic thanks

This is... actually really adorable.

Don't get me wrong, the gimmick will likely go bad at some point, but it's been tolerable so far and things are otherwise just cute.

Like, this is as bad as it's gotten (one scene, from the end of chapter 2 to the beginning of chapter 3):

And even then it's still kinda half-cute.

It's otherwise mostly just this kind of stuff:

Onean fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Dec 26, 2019

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

I think people were hoping for another dad comic but Japanese authors have a hard time delivering, when not going over the edge like Usagi Drop they're always skirting it with this kind of poo poo

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
But why

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Jackard posted:

I think people were hoping for another dad comic but Japanese authors have a hard time delivering, when not going over the edge like Usagi Drop they're always skirting it with this kind of poo poo

Yeah, true. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

in it's defense, 17 chapters in it's been way more dad manga than not, but Lily is pretty clearly into Hajime in a way that makes me worry about the series long term